Ymm, Beer!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by devildeac » May 6th, 2019, 8:02 pm

Jockeys and Juleps (half pint draft)-Raleigh Brewing Company

Excellent summary above. I didn't get any chocolate/thin mint flavors from my serving but the mint was fairly prominent reminding me of a rack of lamb or a grilled, basil/rosemary/minted/caraway-seeded chicken. I'll guess IBUs about 40 and the ABV was 6.1%, IIRC. A pint would be too much but neither of us were DQ'ed for our 4 or 8 ounce portions, respectively.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 6th, 2019, 10:16 pm

Fuse has fingers as quick as his wit .

Damn Yes Ma'am (draft-half pint)-Raleigh Brewing Company

The darker cousin of Hell Yes Ma'am.

Pour was a medium to dark brown and fairly clear/clean with a small, tan head. Aromas as expected for this dark, strong Belgian style ale and they included dark, dried fruits and the dark, Belgian candi sugar fuse mentioned. Tastes to match the style and aromas but didn't think it had any spices that a Belgian Christmas ale typically has. I'll guess IBUs about 30 and the ABV was 9.2%. I'd readily have another serving of this fine RBC offering.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 7th, 2019, 8:06 pm

Last night's beer, a trader from fuse. Thanks!!

Beer on Points-Fullsteam Brewery

Lots of Duke-related stuff about this American style IPA.

Founder: Sean Wilson (? Duke grad-couldn't find more info but I'd bet fuse knows more than I do )
Why: Reunion 35, Class of '84 (food points, beer points, etc)-both clearly designated on the label of this 12 ounce can, along with a Blue Devil logo
Canned: 04/10/19-perfect timing for last month's reunion

Poured vigorously to create a moderate, foamy head atop an orange-yellow brew. Mild nose of pine and grapefruit with similar tastes along with some resin and a hint of sweetness. I'll guess IBUs about 60 and the ABV is 7%. Would pair well with spicy fare.

This is a crowded, crowded field and Fullsteam creates many, many fine beverages but this one does not stand out, even locally. I'll blame my palate for this, probably because I'm tired of the "C" hops which I'd guess there are plenty of in this brew. I am grateful that fuse saved one for me after being tipped off by another friend from her reunion that this was available.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 7th, 2019, 8:19 pm

My beer, but fuse has one, too.

Deduction-Taxman Brewing Company

Buy local then bring back to NC and trade/drink locally again!

Canned on 10/17/18- a bit of worry that was unfounded

Poured aggressively from a 12 ounce can into an oversized Ommegang tulip. Color was dark brown and not cloudy with a foamy, tan head with a moderate amount of Belgian lacing as I sipped with dinner. All the expected nose and palate ticklers, including raisins, dates and figs with dark Belgian candi sugar overtones. IBUs of 20, about as expected with the pretty standard 8% ABV. Paired nicely with my home-cooked cheesesteak with sauteed onions and peppers. Another fine Taxman beverage.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 8th, 2019, 6:36 pm

The Warmest Color-Fullsteam Brewery Collaboration with Out! Raleigh

04/15/19
Canned

Last night's beer, a pint can trader with fuse from last week. Thanks!

I've never had a purple beer before. Well, maybe some stouts that had plums infused and *looked" a bit purple at the edges but this beer was a clear, brilliant purple (hope the link does the color purple justise-sic). A moderately fizzy, mauve head also appeared atop my elixir. It's an IPA brewed with butterfly pea flower (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clitoria_ternatea) and my olfactory and gustatory sensors perceived mainly grapefruit, some rind and a huge floral presence. IBUs listed at 25 on Untappd. The label on the can states 7% ABV. Unique and very interesting product that I'd recommend highly, both for its visual appeal and also its intriguing flavors.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 8th, 2019, 10:10 pm

Big Tent Razz-Fullsteam Brewery

04/04/19
Canned

This is their base golden ale (which I've never tasted) brewed with raspberries.

Well, last PM it was purple rain, err, beer and tonight it's pink beers and I'm comfortable with all that.

Poured from a 12 ounce can into a standard pint glass. I still think pink/red beers (Raspberry Tart, Wisconsin Belgian Red, Serendipity, Rubaeus, Blushing Monk) are prettier but yesterday's was very competitive. Big Tent was a clean, pinkish-red hue with a pale pink head. Luscious and seductive aromas of a raspberry soda with mild sweet/tart tastes of raspberries, a drop or two of honey (not added) and some floral Euro-style hops. IBUs estimated at 20-30 and the ABV was 4.5% making it a great beer to pair with a porch swing and a plate of fresh fruits.

Many thanks to fuse for including this in his Brewery Bhavana and players to be named later delivery/trade last week!
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 9th, 2019, 6:54 pm

From 6/18/18:
devildeac wrote:
June 18th, 2018, 10:41 pm
From their house beers:

Exemption (I did not drink this.):

"Claim an Exemption, our abbey-style tripel. This crisp golden ale unites lemon, orange peel and coriander spices with flavorful Belgian esters. White wheat, oat and artisan malts contribute a balanced body, complemented by golden candi sugar."

From their Brewmaster Series:

Raspberry Ginger Exemption-Taxman Brewing Company

(I did drink this ale.)

Poured from a 12 ounce can into my oversized Ommegang tulip. Color was a gorgeous berry and was slightly cloudy (no chunks!) with a thin, fizzy head. Pungent berry aromas with a bit of spiciness. There's a bit of sour and a bit of sweet and and bit of heat and spice on the palate. The raspberries and lemon peel/zest lend the sour notes, the style (Belgian-style tripel) and candi sugar show up with the sweetness, the ginger gives some spice and heat and the Belgian yeast and coriander chip in with the spiciness. There's a bit of discrepancy with the IBUs as the website claims 55 (no way!) and the can has 36 which is more consistent with the style and the mouthfeel. ABV a dangerous 8.5%. A fruit plate before or after dinner would pair nicely as would a fruited/spicy salsa-topped tilapia filet. A very nice variation on the tripel style and much more palate-pleasing than the chunk and junk from the Passionfruit Guava La Maison farmhouse/saison ale.
From last PM:

Raspberry Ginger Exemption-Taxman Brewing Company

Back that razz up! (shamelessly stolen from Lynnwood Grill and Brewing Concern)

Canned on
03/21/19

Fresh and local (at the time )!

It is readily understandable why this remains one of their house/standard ales. I think this was $1.80/12 ounce can with my 20% off for buying 4 different items (either 4 packs, 500 ml or 750 ml bottles). Quite the deal!

Not much has changed since nearly a year ago.

My only "regrets" are not being able to buy any of the other Exemption variations that included the 2018 Mezcal barrel or the 2019 variant, Red Wine (malbec) barrel aged version or the BBA Qualified quadruple as they had sold out the week before I arrived as they tried to clear the shelves for Death and Taxes Day which featured the release of Evasion and all its variants.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 9th, 2019, 10:13 pm

Berlinerweisse Strawberry-Mother Earth Brewing

"Peace, love & beer"

Canned
04/15/19

Twelve ounce can received as a trader from fuse this week. Many thanks!!

"Berliner Weisse (German: Berliner Weiße) is a cloudy, sour beer of around 3% alcohol by volume. It is a regional variation of the wheat beer style from Northern Germany, dating back to at least the 16th century. It can be made from combinations of malted barley and wheat, with the stipulation that the malts are kilned at very low temperatures to minimise colour formation. The fermentation takes place with a mixture of yeast and lactic acid bacteria, a prerequisite that creates the lactic acid taste, a distinguishing feature of Berlin Weisse."

Not quite as pretty as purple, red or pink beers but still pretty nice eye candy with a pink-yellow-orange hue sitting under a moderate off-white head after a vigorous pour into a tall Sam Adams wheat ale glass. A bit of a nose pucker with mild tartness/sourness and some citrus. Palate pucker is perhaps a bit higher but still rather mild. I'm not a big fan of strawberry flavors in beer but this adds a rather pleasant sweetness and balance to the sour tastes so I don't have to add any syrups like those wacky Germans did for centuries. Reminds me of a berry-flavored orangeade. I'll guess IBUs about 10 but could be less. ABV on the can is 4.9%. A rather enjoyable brew on a warm spring evening that I'd pair with some lemon or orange chicken or sweet and sour dishes.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 9th, 2019, 10:32 pm

From 5/9/17:
devildeac wrote:
May 9th, 2017, 9:36 am
Exemption-Taxman Brewing Company

I told you there was a trend here...

It's a Belgian style tripel ale so the pour was light gold, the head was fizzy, foamy and a bit cling-y and the nose was citrus and brown sugar. Mouthfeel was tingly and tastes were orange, a bit of rind and a bit of spice (coriander added). There's some more brown sugar sweetness and a pinch of black pepper. The "bio" on the beer appears to claim lemon is added but I didn't smell/taste any. White wheat, oats and "Belgian artisan malts" are also listed as ingredients. Pretty smooth as most tripels are with IBU at 30. Potent also with a deceptive ABV of 8.5%. I supposed one should have mussels with this but I'm not a fan so I'd pair with a light seafood or chicken entree.

From tonight:

Exemption-Taxman Brewing Company

Canned on
03/14/19

Fresh! Local!!

Perhaps a couple subtle differences from two years ago:

1. Less brown sugar this time but still a bit "sugar-y" from the added golden candi sugar.

2. The lemon is a bit more prominent with this pouring but still more spiciness and orange than lemon.

For $1.40/12 ounces with the 20% discount and, at 8.5% ABV, this is a really fine beer that would make a very interesting comparison with 2 of my favorite Belgian-style tripels, Golden Monkey and the Allagash Tripel.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 11th, 2019, 4:54 pm

From 5/1/17:
devildeac wrote:
May 1st, 2017, 8:20 pm
Qualified-Taxman Brewing Company

Continued kudos to davec for his Taxman suggestion last year.

Style: Belgian quad
Package: 22 ounces
Hops: not named
Malts: not named
Appearance: dark brown
Head: foamy; light mocha-colored
Nose: brown sugar (how come you taste so good); dark, dried fruits
Mouthfeel: mildly syrup-y; minimal bitterness
Tastes: raisins, dates, figs, dark rum, brown sugar (still tasting good), plums and dark/toasted wheat bread
IBU: 28
ABV: 9.5%

Additional comments: Bomber shared 3 ways but not exactly equally . The high ABV is seductively and dangerously hidden. Liquid dessert. Makes me wish I had bought the last BA Qualified on the shelf, too, for about $5 more. Not sure what that ABV was. Also, makes me long for their Death and Taxes and/or Tax Holiday. Seeing a trend here ? I've got four 4 packs waiting to be divided and conquered .
From last PM:

Qualified-Taxman Brewing Company

Worth re-visiting two years later, this time poured from a $1.80 (unlike uncheat, *this* is no typo) 12 ounce can into a snifter. Price was 20% off list as I bought 4 different items and had reached my spending limit agreed upon with the other *interested* parties .

Pretty much all the above still applies but, from this version, I perceived some sweet cherries and prunes. Not on the same level as authentic Belgian quadruples but still an excellent "replica." I should have added another 4 pack of this to my order.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 11th, 2019, 5:22 pm

You're most welcome! My turn:

Lemon Meringue Sour-Brewed and packaged for Nowhere in Particular by Elevator Brewing Company

Local (when you're visiting family and your son owes you beers and/or $$)!

Fuse made me thirsty yesterday with his review () and it's now officially after 5 o'clock at the NC coast and we're headed out for a seafood dinner and this is prepping my palate quite nicely.

Aw, shoot, I'm not typing any more-read fuse's superb review above.

This is an outstanding beer. I even offered Mrs. dd a sip as she's a big fan of lemon meringue and lemon chess pies and I almost had to pry the glass from her hand as she liked it waaaay more than I would have imagined. (I'm not going to inform her I have one left from the 4 pack .)
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 11th, 2019, 8:50 pm

no.2-(Cultivated by) Brewery Bhavana

From the back label:

"An expressive blend of our Brett and sour cultures, this juicy, nuanced, wine-forward beer was aged for eight months in a single Italian Sangiovese puncheon, then hopped with one of the world's most sought-after hops: Nelson Sauvin."

From my tasting, dividing a 750 ml bottle over two nights:

I could probably quite after a one word review here: superb.

However, this elixir deserves a few more words. A vigorous pour each night brought forth a reddish-amber beverage with a very thin, off-white rim of bubbles. Nose of fruited, apple cider vinegar with palate-tickling flavors of sour cherries, tart raspberries, slightly underripe strawberries, undergirded by some wet straw and all interwoven with seductive vinous notes, interestingly, both red and white from the barrel-aging and the choice of hops, respectively. I'll guess IBUs 10 or less and the ABV on the label is 6.5%.

This is from the their Cellar Door series, made available first to members and then offered to the public, if any remain, I guess.

A loud, huge, prolonged thank you to fuse for including me with his purchases of extras last year (and again this year)!
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » May 13th, 2019, 1:11 pm

devildeac wrote:
May 7th, 2019, 8:06 pm

Founder: Sean Wilson (? Duke grad-couldn't find more info but I'd bet fuse knows more than I do )
Why: Reunion 35, Class of '84 (food points, beer points, etc)-both clearly designated on the label of this 12 ounce can, along with a Blue Devil logo

Poured vigorously to create a moderate, foamy head atop an orange-yellow brew. Mild nose of pine and grapefruit with similar tastes along with some resin and a hint of sweetness. I'll guess IBUs about 60 and the ABV is 7%. Would pair well with spicy fare.

This is a crowded, crowded field and Fullsteam creates many, many fine beverages but this one does not stand out, even locally. I'll blame my palate for this, probably because I'm tired of the "C" hops which I'd guess there are plenty of in this brew. I am grateful that fuse saved one for me after being tipped off by another friend from her reunion that this was available.

Ahem. This beer was too hoppy from the get-go. My pour was foamy, too, but I was pouring mine out on the grass at the Duke Gardens--immediately after my first sip. :Boo:

Nevertheless, the can was a cool souvenir from the 35th reunion of the BEST CLASS EVER at Duke: 1984.

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 13th, 2019, 6:05 pm

CathyCA wrote:
May 13th, 2019, 1:11 pm
devildeac wrote:

Ahem. This beer was too hoppy from the get-go. My pour was foamy, too, but I was pouring mine out on the grass at the Duke Gardens--immediately after my first sip. :Boo:

Nevertheless, the can was a cool souvenir from the 35th reunion of the SECOND BEST CLASS EVER at Duke: 1984.

I'll go back and credit you for the tip/discovery.

I also amended/corrected your post. AMIRITE, Ozzie? :D
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 13th, 2019, 10:21 pm

Imperial Vanilla Porter Aged in Rum Barrels-BreckInBevRidge Brewery

Sometimes it's better to ask forgiveness than permission.

Story: The original version of this was probably one of my favorite beers a decade or more ago and become one of our son's favorites several years ago, too. He saw a 4 pack of this imperial rum barrel-aged version on the shelf of his favorite craft beer stores a couple months ago and asked my opinion. I reminded him Big Beer had bought Breckenridge Brewery several years ago and he put on his sad face and decided not to purchase. Well, when we visited last month and he had a $15-20 beer debt to me, he grabbed the $10.49 package and inquired again about the purchase and I agreed, knowing he'd get a couple bottles of a beer he really wanted. Wise move. Excellent elixir.

I poured this with vigor from a 12 ounce bottle into a snifter and created a moderate, foamy tan head. Three aromas: vanilla, milk chocolate and Bacardi 151. Mouthfeel was a bit thin, but that's fine as it's a porter, not a stout. Robust baker's chocolate, vanilla and booze were the first tastes. There are hints of coffee (not added) dark caramel and wood, then more very warming rummy sensations. After about six ounces, I began to wonder whether I had floated a couple (?) tablespoons of Bacardi 151 onto a regular strength vanilla imperial porter. IBUs of 18 and the ABV is a warming and numbing 13.4% hence my 60 minute consumption time for this big sipper.

I've given richardjackson199 a fair amount of chain-yanking recently for his Wicked InBev Weed purchases, but, I'll shamelessly admit that this was an excellent beverage despite its AB-InBev ownership, made even better given the cost of $10.49 for the litter of 4.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » May 14th, 2019, 4:51 pm

devildeac wrote:
May 13th, 2019, 6:05 pm
CathyCA wrote:
May 13th, 2019, 1:11 pm
devildeac wrote:

Nevertheless, the can was a cool souvenir from the 35th reunion of the SECOND BEST CLASS EVER at Duke: 1984.

I'll go back and credit you for the tip/discovery.

I also amended/corrected your post. AMIRITE, Ozzie? :D
When you amended/corrected my post, you misspelled "very." ;)

“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 15th, 2019, 9:49 pm

Bourbon Barrel Aged Siberian Night-Thirsty Dog Brewing Company

Kinda local if you live in Ohio!

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a oversized snifter. Appearance was almost black with a modest, creamy tan head. This stuff smells like dark chocolate balls filled with bourbon. Mouthfeel was moderately viscous/oily but not quite chewy. Dark chocolate and bourbon dominated, as expected, but there were plenty of other flavors including vanilla (not added), wood and toasted coconut (not added) along with hints of espresso and molasses. IBUs listed at 66, typical for the imperial stout style, but bitterness was burnt grain in nature and not overly hoppy. ABV was 10.9%, sippable, but not well hidden. This was under $7 for the bottle after my 15% case discount a couple months ago but I've seen 4 packs of this for $24 and it's worth that cost. An outstanding BBA RIS.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 16th, 2019, 10:46 pm

no. 1-Brewery Bhavana

From the label:

"Slow-fermented in our white oak foeder since February 2017, this house sour forms the backbone to so many of our favorite offerings."

My guess is this was bottled in June, 2018 to start their Cellar Door series in July, 2018. Another tip of the tulip to fuse for acquiring this for me as part of his membership late last year. Thanks!

If I was blindfolded, I might not be able to differentiate this from the original Rodenbach and that's about as high as the praise gets when it's compared to a world class sour. I had about 375 ml tonight, half of my 750 ml capped bottle. Pour was gentle into an Allagash tulip. Appearance was cloudy and reddish-amber with a thin ring of bubbles around the edge of the glass. Acetic nose and palate but classic for the style with woody/oaky tastes to accompany sour cherries, raspberries, lemon and vinegar tantalizing the taste buds, too. I'll guess IBUs about 10 (tart and sour, not hoppily bitter) with the ABV at 6%. Another ale I'd consider serving with Italian dishes.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 19th, 2019, 1:38 pm

Curieux-Allagash Brewing Company

Bottled on 12/12/18
10:58

Beer #4 from my April beer club 4 pack.

I can't recall the brewing and/or blending process, if any, for the 750 ml bottles they've used for many years but with this, they take their Tripel and age it in oak bourbon barrels and then blend it back with a portion of fresh Tripel. This one was pretty heavy on the Tripel and light on the BBA. Pour was vigorous from a 12 ounce bottle into my Ommegang tulip. Appearance was a medium gold color with a moderate, fizzy head that left plenty of Belgian lacing on the glass as I sipped. Pretty typical tripel style nose with spice, pepper, orange peel and flowers without much bourbon. Tastes represented the style well, too, with orange, coriander (?), black pepper, nuances of vanilla and toasted coconut, light candi sugar and hints of bourbon at the end. IIRC, the large format versions we've shared at tailgates (2013, 2015 and maybe 2016) were much boozier the earlier brewing date and softened as they aged. I'll guess IBUs of 20 and the ABV is 11%. Their Tripel is among the best "imitators" in the US of the original Belgian recipes but the new format/small bottle format for the 2018 Curieux leaves a bit to be desired from the BBA concept/process. I'm not sure I'd buy a 4 pack of this for $18 and I hope I don't ruin accfanfrom1970's enjoyment of his litter.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 19th, 2019, 9:51 pm

Azalea-Brewery Bhavana

No diaper nose for me (), only some citrus and tropical fruits.

Your "spoiler" for the palate was exactly right. My taste buds sense an outstanding, fresh, clarified tropical/citrus juice blend with the above-mentioned flavors along with some orange and lemon, too. I'll guess about 20 IBUs and the ABV was 6%. I'm having 250 ml tonight and following it with a Platform imperial stout.

Thanks for including this in the recent traders package! Another winner from Brewery Bhavana.