Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by devildeac » April 17th, 2019, 5:01 pm

CathyCA wrote:
April 17th, 2019, 11:05 am

Fullsteam Brewery created a custom IPA for the Duke Class of 1984 for our 35th reunion this past weekend. It's called "Beer on Points" in honor of our ability to purchase beer on our meal card points back in the day.

I had a taste. It was too hoppy for me. I stepped out of the reunion tent and watered some of the plants in the Duke Gardens as I emptied my souvenir can. Almost as soon as I finished pouring out the beer, there was a member of the waitstaff asking if she could take my can and throw it away for me. Um, no! The can is my souvenir! It's a lovely reminder of my days at Duke.

They tell me that there are still a few cases of the stuff left for pickup at Fullsteam in Durham.

:9f:
Do you have any left? Believe it or not, asking for a friend...
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » April 17th, 2019, 6:36 pm

devildeac wrote:
April 17th, 2019, 5:01 pm
CathyCA wrote:
April 17th, 2019, 11:05 am

Fullsteam Brewery created a custom IPA for the Duke Class of 1984 for our 35th reunion this past weekend. It's called "Beer on Points" in honor of our ability to purchase beer on our meal card points back in the day.

I had a taste. It was too hoppy for me. I stepped out of the reunion tent and watered some of the plants in the Duke Gardens as I emptied my souvenir can. Almost as soon as I finished pouring out the beer, there was a member of the waitstaff asking if she could take my can and throw it away for me. Um, no! The can is my souvenir! It's a lovely reminder of my days at Duke.

They tell me that there are still a few cases of the stuff left for pickup at Fullsteam in Durham.

Do you have any left? Believe it or not, asking for a friend...
As of yesterday, there were a few cases still left at Fullsteam in Durham. If you need a contact from the class of 1984, send me a PM, and I can put the two of you in touch with each other so that they can know who to expect for the pick-up.

“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 18th, 2019, 10:47 pm

Worth repeating:

Raspberry Tart (2018)-New Glarus Brewing Company

One of only three beers Mrs. dd will drink and I *graciously* shared half a 12 ounce bottle with her this evening. Well, perhaps not that graciously but there were no fisticuffs.

Once again, easily understood why this is #2 on beeradvocate's top 100 fruit beer list. It remains superb. Sweet, tart/sour, effervescent, fruity. woody and tantalizing.

My NG beer mule has changed jobs effective mid-January so I'm not sure if/how/when I'll see any more NG products.

:((
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 18th, 2019, 10:53 pm

Worth repeating, part 2:

Wild Sour Ale (2018)-New Glarus Brewing Company

This is *not* a beer Mrs. dd likes (she did humor me with a small sip) so 11.5 ounces all for me!

I don't think much has changed from last fall when I think I purchased this on a beer, err, Duke football trip to the Northwestern game.

I think this rivals any Belgian sour with its acetic nose, and puckery, woody mouthfeel of sour berries and cherries, but not anywhere near the sourness of a Destihl product.

Highly recommended if you visit Wisconsin or worth a trip from the Chicago area to pick up an assortment of NG products.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 20th, 2019, 9:25 am

Reporting this AM (and last PM) from the land of the missing "D" and "E," in Lexington, KY:

Kentucky Vanilla Barrel Cream Ale-Alltech's Lexington Brewing Company

Ok, I had my reservations about this one given the name, style and not much familiarity with the brewer but it ended up surprisingly good.

First, it was free () as our BIL had selected this to serve with dinner last PM.

Two, it accompanied dinner, also free .

Three, I was thirsty and quite po'ed after a 10.75 hour car trip that should have only been 8.5 hours .

Pour was a light amber with a modest, off-white head. Nose was mostly vanilla. I could almost, wait for it fuse, taste the cream in the ale . Seriously, vanilla was rather prominent again along with some medium Karo syrup, lightly toasted wheat bread and hints of oak and yes, it's from Lexington so it was bourbon barrel aged, but not nearly long enough at only 6 weeks. IBUs were 18, about what I'd expect for a cream ale. ABV was 5.5%, a pleasant pairing with what I called "an American variant" of a Shepherd's Pie, with meat loaf, cubed/roasted potatoes, corn, peas and carrots, covered with melted, white cheddar cheese.

I was in a much more mellow mood after dinner.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 21st, 2019, 10:18 pm

Golden Parachute (spring, 2018?)-Taxman Brewing Company

I should have read this review before sharing with devildeac2 this evening but vaguely remembered it.

Poured quickly from a capped 750 ml bottle into a couple goblets after noting the intense foaming but still "saving" 2 good servings. It's a Brettanomyces Belgian style blonde ale (yes, I like blondes and thankfully Mrs. dd does not read DBR) so the nose is funky and wet straw and the tastes are underripe strawberries, wet blanket, barnyard after a rain, cantaloupe, apples, pears and a pinch of black pepper. IBUs are 10 and the ABV was 6.2%. Paired very well with an assortment of Indian take-out. If they had the Imperial Golden Parachute when visiting Taxman today and I had tasted this previously, I'd have bought three 500 ml bottles, dropping one off in Columbus as a trader with our son and returning the other 2 to Raleigh with one for fuse and one for personal cellaring. Very happy to have waited about a year before sharing this Brett ale.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 21st, 2019, 10:49 pm

Cherry Picker (draft)-Taxman Brewing Company

Two ounce taster whilst trying to make to-go selections from their extensive tap list.

Pour was a gorgeous ruby brown with a small, tan head. Nose of dark cherries and dark brown sugar. Tastes were a blend of dark, dried fruit juices, fresh Bing cherries and some dark, rummy sweetness. It's a Belgian style dubbel, one of my favorites, and exceeded all expectations. I'll guess the IBUs were 20 and the ABV was 8%. This would pair well with some bread pudding or a DBR fruit pie. Sadly, they had no bottles/cans available to go .
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 22nd, 2019, 10:39 pm

One tardy review:

Red Wine Barrel Qualified (draft)-Taxman Brewing Company

Two ounce taster while making my take-out selections late Sunday AM.

This is their standard Belgian style quadruple that has been living in malbec barrels for several months.

Pour was a dark brown with hints of ruby at the edges and a very small, light tan head. Complex aromas of wine and dark, dried fruits. Even more tastes to tickle the palate, including raisins, dates, figs, cherries (no fruits added), dark caramel accompanying lots of vinous notes from start to finish. I'll guess 20 for the IBUs and the ABV was 10.5%. Great combination of the ale style with the barrel aging. Sadly, they had sold out of their 4 packs of this several days before my arrival and I was quite fortunate to sample on draft.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 23rd, 2019, 8:12 am

From Sunday evening:

Dark Shadow (draft)-ZwanzigZ Pizza and Brewery

Buy local, transport across a state line, then share with family1

Despite limited time in Columbus, IN on Saturday, I was able to convince our family chauffeur to sneak me away from dinner a few minutes early and by this place to grab a howler buy ($4)/fill ($7.50) so we could enjoy after dinner Sunday in the "other" Columbus.

It's a Belgian style quadruple ale so the pour was mahogany color and the nose was mélange of the expected dark, dried fruits, including figs, dates and raisins, followed by the same tastes and accompanied by some dark, rummy notes (not barrel aged), dark Belgian candi sugar and dark, chocolate caramels. The aftertaste was a bit dry and a bit "off" but not spoiled. Pretty boozy at 10.1% ABV with the low IBUs of 22, about as anticipated for the style.

Note to davec: Not to worry, the 450 North brews will be sampled and reviewed later this week as I'll sing your praises again for your delivery.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 24th, 2019, 9:43 pm

2019 White Gold Revolver (draft)-ZwanzigZ Pizza and Brewer

Two ounce taster while waiting to make a hasty decision on purchasing/filling a howler.

It was a brut IPA so it appeared a light orange-yellow with a small, egg whitish head. Mild citrus and tropical aromas and tastes with minimally discernible bitterness. The chalk board claimed 0 IBUs (LOL) and 8% ABV. The website states IBUs of 12 and ABV of 8.6%. The latter two stats are more believable. I almost made my howler fill with this at $7 but was quite happy with the $7.50 Dark Shadow choice at >10% ABV. I'd go back to this joint to try some more of their brews.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 25th, 2019, 1:12 pm

Time to sing praises for davec:

Find local and transport home!

420 Juice-450 North Brewing Company

A pint can with no date stamped on it anywhere.

Drinking instructions printed on label: please drink soon after purchase (or something like that)

I swear, if I was blindfolded and handed a pint glass of this stuff and another pint glass of Dole pineapple juice, I'm not sure I could tell the difference. Heck, even without a blindfold, this NEIPA looked an awful lot like a glass of tropical fruit juice. This was probably one of the haziest/cloudiest of the style I've ever had. Sunshine yellow color with a moderate, foamy head. Nose is all pineapple. Mouthfeel and tastes were exactly as if someone had trimmed a fresh pineapple, removed most of the core and dropped it in a whirring (could be a whirring Waring) blender for 15 seconds on high speed. Amazingly juicy, fruity, pithy and mildly viscous. IBUs listed at 55 but I'd have guessed 40. ABV was 6%. They could easily re-brew this beer with some vanilla beans and lactose and it'd make a wonderful pineapple milkshake IPA, too.

Many thanks to davec for this delicious selection!
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 25th, 2019, 10:16 pm

Dessert beer last PM, from one Columbus to another (well, traded for in Columbus, OH but brewed in Cleveland ):

EMO-Platform Beer Company

11/19/18 stamped on bottom of can

Barrel-Aged S'Mores Imperial (milk) Stout

This 12 ounce can was a trader from our son over the weekend. His mama raised him very well.

Poured quickly into a Founders snifter, it was a dark brown shade with a moderate, latte-like head. Aromas of booze and cookies greeted me and were followed by palate ticklers that included baker's cocoa, chocolate graham crackers, dark caramel, vanilla, molasses, dark rum and bourbon. IBUs are 45 and ABV was 10% so Santa was not going to sleigh very far last year if anyone left him one of these on his delivery route. Ingredients:

Grains: 2-row, Pilsner, Marris Otter, Caramel 120, Caramel 77, Chocolate, Pale Chocolate, Carafa III, Melanoidin and Cara-Aroma
Hops: Cascade
Yeast: American ale
Adjuncts: Marshmallow, Graham Cracker, Lactose
Barrels: Bourbon, Rum

Two remain from my three traders. What to do?
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 25th, 2019, 10:31 pm

Double Barrel-Aged The Toll (draft)-Raleigh Brewing Company

I'll guess this is #3 in their The (fka Miller's) Toll series with the original non-barreled imperial stout, the BBA version and now a rum and bourbon barrel iteration.

Pour was nearly black with a thin, tan head. Heavy scents of dark chocolate fudge and booze. First taste was dark chocolate fudge, followed by black strap molasses, dark caramel, vanilla, rum, a splash of espresso and a lot of bourbon. I'll guess IBUs about 50 based on the style and the ABV was 10.5%. Outstanding product and I'd have likely spent the $18 on the bomber of it if I hadn't returned from visiting Taxman and trading a bunch of stuff with our son on Sunday.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 25th, 2019, 10:44 pm

Bourbon Cru (draft)-Hardywood Park Craft Brwery

Two ounce taster after my Double Barrel-Aged The Toll. I could have sipped on a pint of this. Or two pints.

Pour was a slightly cloudy, pecan color with a moderate, fluffy, tan head. It's a BBA Belgian style quad so the expected aromas of dark, dried fruits and caramel were on target. The bourbon is prominent up front but not strong or overpowering and is toned down a bit by the (not added) cherries, plums, raisins dates and figs. Amazingly smooth mouthfeel with minimal bitterness at 18 IBUs. Very dangerous ABV at 12%. None was available for purchase.

I think accfanfrom1970 has raved about this in the past and I'd greatly enjoy reading his thoughts again about this fabulous brew.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 26th, 2019, 10:25 pm

Hail to davec! Again!

Fountain of Juice-450 North Brewing Company

Davec was correct. One of the local breweries produces a lot of hazy/juicy/NE style IPAs, and good ones, too. This is no exception.

Pint can poured aggressively last PM into a standard pint glass, divided into 2 fairly equal portions. Pretty hazy stuff but not nearly like the 420 Juice. Man, that stuff was juicy! This one had a bit less pineapple up front aroma-wise. The tastes showed a fair amount of pineapple again but with a nice blend of hops (Citra, Amarillo, El Dorado and Vic Secret) that yielded some guava flavors along with some tangerine, melon and mango. A bit of pith and rind (good features) were featured for this IIPA that could easily be labeled a NEIIPA, too. No IBUs quoted but I'd guess 60. The ABV was 8%, a bit low for the style but still meeting "standards." I'd buy a flight/sampler/mixed 4 pack or 6er from these folks in a New York minute on our next visit. Seriously good stuff.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 28th, 2019, 5:05 pm

Late review from Friday night:

Hoppyright Infringement-New Orleans Lager & Ale (NOLA) Brewing Company

From their website:

"This beer was inspired by some past experiences at NOLA Brewing with a previous IIPA that ended up getting lawyers involved and names had to be changed. We're seeing more and more lawyers getting involved in the industry so we decided to create this beauty to acknowledge that we see these things going down and yes, we did copyright the name.

And:

"Sometimes you win some
Sometimes you lose some
Sometimes you create a new IPA to keep the lawyers away"

Brew #1 from my April beer club 4 pack. I must admit, I had my doubts with the brewery name and state of origin (beer reputation-wise, not geography related) but tasting convinced me otherwise.

Poured quickly from a 12 ounce can into a standard, boring pint glass brought forth an orange-yellow beverage with a foamy, lingering, off-white head. Nice scents or grapefruits and tangerines with tastes of the same balanced with some orange and grapefruits rinds and hints of resin and pine and mild juicy sweetness. The "players" in the brew below might explain the above. No IBUs to be found so I'll guess about 60. Labeled an IIPA, it barely sneaks in, depending on your "standards," at 7.6%. A pleasant surprise-I'd certainly try another brew from NOLA based on this "small sample size." Ingredients:

Hops: Centennial, Citra, Ekuanot and Mosaic

Malts: Acidulated, flaked oats, Premium 2-Row, raw sugar, wheat
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 28th, 2019, 10:28 pm

From last PM:

Framboise Rose Gose-Anderson Valley Brewing Company

On bottom of can:

7768/69

Beats the heck outta me what that means.

Beer #2 from my April beer club 4 pack.

A wild pour from a 12 ounce can into an Anderson Valley Brewing Company pint glass revealed a rose-colored (d'oh!) elixir that had a thin, short-lived pink-tinged head. Nose was slightly sour and quite floral. There's a bit of palate pucker, followed by a mild raspberry sweet-tartness, flowers, a pinch of salt and a dry finish. Rose hips are added (https://www.webmd.com/vitamins/ai/in...o-839/rose-hip) along with the expected raspberry puree. IBUs are 12 and the ABV was 4.2%, making it a low viscosity lubrication fluid before a night of dancing with the lovely and vivacious Mrs. dd. This would be an interesting comparison with other fruited goses on the market.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 28th, 2019, 10:41 pm

Torte-Platform Beer Company

bunch of indecipherable dots smudged on bottom of pint can

Trade local then transport across several state lines to consume!

This really tasted like a liquid bear claw with alcohol. Beer pastry!

It's a blonde ale base and the pour was a light, yellow-amber with a fizzy, blanched almond-colored head. Smelled like a chilled almond breakfast torte and had tastes of lightly roasted almonds, donuts and icing with minimal bitterness and a slight alcohol kick. IBUs are 8 and the ABV was 6.9% totally unlike anything you'll find at your local bakery . Ingredients:

Malts: 2-Row, Vienna, Melanoidin, flaked wheat and Carapils
Hops: Crystal
Yeast: American ale
Adjuncts: Prantis almonds, vanilla, lactose

If it were tailgate season, this would be one of my contributions to a noon kick-off tailgate.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 29th, 2019, 10:20 pm

Barrel Aged Wulver Wee Heavy Ale-Thirsty Dog Brewing Company

No date on bottle.

Next to last beer in the 30 beers for 30 years gift to our younger daughter two months ago with one of each for me and another set for traders for our son.

High praise: This is a bit better than the BBA Edinbrue from Brueprint that I've reviewed here a couple times previously and rivals Hooligan, a BBA Scotch style ale, from Catawba Brewing Company's taproom in Asheville.

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle ($6.79 after my 15% mixed case discount) into a Founders snifter last PM. It appeared a slightly cloudy, dark brown with a wisp of a light tan head. Dark caramel, vanilla, lightly smoked peat and dried fruit aromas invited me to start sipping. Tastes were pretty similar to the scents with some wood, milk chocolate and a very strong, warming presence of bourbon. IBUs are 22 so very malty with a smooth mouthfeel. ABV is 12% and it's rather prominent but not overpowering. If you can find a 4 pack of this, I think it's about $24, an even better deal than buying singles. Highly recommended.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 30th, 2019, 10:21 pm

Original Munich Lager-Paulaner Brauerei Gruppe GmbH & Co. KGaA

Best before/production date stamped on bottom of 16.9 ounce can:

01.22.2020 3
01.22.2019 M

A pleasant, simple, true-to-style brew that was beer #3 from my April beer club 4 pack.

Poured aggressively and revealed a light, yellow-straw color with a mildly foamy head in a pint mug. Everything was pretty traditional from the gentle, floral bouquet to the slightly sweet and grainy, mildly bitter flower-like tastes. I'll guess IBUs about 20 and the ABV was 4.9%, both as expected. A delightful change from IPAs, IIPAs, barrel-aged stuff and winter brews. Would make a nice paring with deli sammiches or roasted chicken and grilled veggies.