Re: The Political Junkie Thread

Post by lawgrad91 » November 23rd, 2021, 1:38 pm

CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
November 23rd, 2021, 9:59 am
lawgrad91 wrote:
November 23rd, 2021, 9:24 am
CameronBornAndBred wrote:
November 22nd, 2021, 11:43 am

For starters, Lawgrad would have worn cooler socks.
Today's socks are maps of the Grand Canyon. :9f:
Is that why you have so many deep thoughts? (sorry)

Thanks again for your insights on the case. Very helpful. This case shows how little understanding there is of the legal system. Based on your explanation and other things I have read, it was likely the right verdict. A good lawyer might have been able to get to guilty, but it is not clear cut.

But rather than destroying things and complaining about miscarriages of justice, people need to be more strategic about getting the laws changed. Which is not an easy thing to do. Everyone blames the NRA for everything gun related and yes, they are a big force, but their numbers aren't actually that huge. Gun safety is a big issue for Bloomberg and he could easily personally outspend them. And a lot of polling shows that a large majority of Americans support increased gun regulation. But when Beto screams out that we're going to take your guns, that sets things back a long way.

Similarly, if people would just show up and vote, they could make a difference. I know there are a lot of efforts being made in various places to make it a lot harder to vote and this frustrates the heck out of me, but there are still plenty of people who don't even bother to try then sit home and complain, or vote for candidates who have no chance.
Hahaha.

Thank you. I see so much junk online about this (and other) notable cases, and it's nice to be able to have a forum for rational discussion about the legal system.

You make very good points. I wish people would show up and vote, and take part in the political process. It can be painful, but rational people can make a difference.
Iron Duke #1471997.
dudog
Full Time Student at PWing school

Post by dudog » November 23rd, 2021, 9:53 pm

Maybe, just maybe, the GOP will eat itself.

"Mike Lindell Blames a Vast GOP Conspiracy for His Supreme Court Failure"

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... li=BBnbfcL
dudog

Post by dudog » November 30th, 2021, 10:17 am

Just when you think Fox couldn't go any lower...

You've got to be pretty despicable for the Auschwitz Memorial to officially weigh in on American politics. After a Fox Primetime host compared Fauci to Mengele, they said it was "...a sad symptom of moral and intellectual decline."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/th ... li=BBnb7Kz
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » November 30th, 2021, 10:54 am

dudog wrote:
November 30th, 2021, 10:17 am

You've got to be pretty despicable for the Auschwitz Memorial to officially weigh in on American politics. After a Fox Primetime host compared Fauci to Mengele, they said it was "...a sad symptom of moral and intellectual decline."

Wow. That is scary. But she used the Trump trick of saying "people are saying" to avoid responsibility for what she said. Who are these people? And isn't it your job as President/newscaster to filter what other people say to you? My 7 year old told me that I am highly qualified to be the next Duke football coach, but that doesn't make it so!

Next thing you know it the brainwashed Fox News supporters will be blaming the Auschwitz Memorial for all of the world's problems.
Phredd3

Post by Phredd3 » November 30th, 2021, 12:04 pm

CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
November 30th, 2021, 10:54 am
dudog wrote:

Wow. That is scary. But she used the Trump trick of saying "people are saying" to avoid responsibility for what she said. Who are these people? And isn't it your job as President/newscaster to filter what other people say to you? My 7 year old told me that I am highly qualified to be the next Duke football coach, but that doesn't make it so!

Next thing you know it the brainwashed Fox News supporters will be blaming the Auschwitz Memorial for all of the world's problems.
What is most scary to me is that Fox corporate feels no need to disavow that statement or to condemn it in any way. We used to be able to count on Corporate America holding up traditional values for fear they would lose business in the aftermath of controversy. Now the general public doesn't seem concerned about calling corporations to account when they disrespect core values. In short, core values don't seem to be core any more. It's a strange world to raise kids in.
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » November 30th, 2021, 3:40 pm

Phredd3 wrote:
November 30th, 2021, 12:04 pm
CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
dudog wrote:

What is most scary to me is that Fox corporate feels no need to disavow that statement or to condemn it in any way. We used to be able to count on Corporate America holding up traditional values for fear they would lose business in the aftermath of controversy. Now the general public doesn't seem concerned about calling corporations to account when they disrespect core values. In short, core values don't seem to be core any more. It's a strange world to raise kids in.
Theoretically advertisers can influence this and I believe this has happened to a very limited extent. Also, one would think that with a Democrat in the White House, the FCC could have some influence, but I guess they are staying away from this.

I read something recently noting the irony of the fact that the leader of Trumpism (Fox News) is not headquartered in a bright red location but rather in midtown Manhattan, a few blocks from Trump World HQ, surrounded by a sea of blue. I very briefly was an employee of News Corp. as a result of the company I was working for being acquired, but that was in 2008, before they became truly evil. They installed TVs with Fox News and Fox Business everywhere and we would make fun of the beautiful morons who hosted their daytime programming, all of whom were harmless compared to their current hosts. Murdoch walked by my desk a few times.
Phredd3

Post by Phredd3 » November 30th, 2021, 4:27 pm

CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
November 30th, 2021, 3:40 pm
Phredd3 wrote:
CrazyNotCrazie wrote:

Theoretically advertisers can influence this and I believe this has happened to a very limited extent. Also, one would think that with a Democrat in the White House, the FCC could have some influence, but I guess they are staying away from this.

I read something recently noting the irony of the fact that the leader of Trumpism (Fox News) is not headquartered in a bright red location but rather in midtown Manhattan, a few blocks from Trump World HQ, surrounded by a sea of blue. I very briefly was an employee of News Corp. as a result of the company I was working for being acquired, but that was in 2008, before they became truly evil. They installed TVs with Fox News and Fox Business everywhere and we would make fun of the beautiful morons who hosted their daytime programming, all of whom were harmless compared to their current hosts. Murdoch walked by my desk a few times.
Did you trip him? Even back then, he was pretty awful.
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » November 30th, 2021, 4:39 pm

Phredd3 wrote:
November 30th, 2021, 4:27 pm
CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
November 30th, 2021, 3:40 pm
Phredd3 wrote:

Did you trip him? Even back then, he was pretty awful.
LOL. I wrote a comment about being tempted to do that but erased it. At the time I was a newlywed with a big mortgage and my wife's student loans so I decided that wouldn't be a great idea, but I left for another job within a year of the acquisition (for reasons largely unrelated to News Corp.). Based on my very limited indirect interactions with him he was very sharp and on top of things - he would notice things our competitors were doing and always push for us to do better.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » December 1st, 2021, 4:31 pm

It's Round Two!!!!!

This will be fun, at least as fun as politics can be. Stacey Abrams has announced she's once again running for Ga governor. So that along with Beto in Texas makes for two at least entertaining races to watch.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/01/politics ... index.html
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » December 2nd, 2021, 9:48 am

An article worth reading as alarm bells rightfully ring for Dems going into the mid-terms. (It's a Q&A)
Brian Stryker, a Democratic pollster, didn’t work for Terry McAuliffe’s campaign in the Virginia governor’s race. But McAuliffe’s narrow defeat in a liberal-leaning state alarmed him and most every Democratic political professional.
That defeat also prompted a centrist group, Third Way, to have Stryker convene focus groups to examine why Gov.-elect Glenn Youngkin won in a state that President Joe Biden had carried by 10 points last year.
Q: So if you’re advising a Democratic client running in 2022, what do you tell them?

A: I would tell them that we have a problem. We’ve got a national branding problem that is probably deeper than a lot of people suspect. Our party thinks maybe some things we’re saying aren’t cutting through, but I think it’s much deeper than that.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/pollsters-wa ... 36973.html
Phredd3

Post by Phredd3 » December 2nd, 2021, 11:05 am

December 2nd, 2021, 9:48 am
An article worth reading as alarm bells rightfully ring for Dems going into the mid-terms. (It's a Q&A)
Brian Stryker, a Democratic pollster, didn’t work for Terry McAuliffe’s campaign in the Virginia governor’s race. But McAuliffe’s narrow defeat in a liberal-leaning state alarmed him and most every Democratic political professional.
That defeat also prompted a centrist group, Third Way, to have Stryker convene focus groups to examine why Gov.-elect Glenn Youngkin won in a state that President Joe Biden had carried by 10 points last year.
Q: So if you’re advising a Democratic client running in 2022, what do you tell them?

A: I would tell them that we have a problem. We’ve got a national branding problem that is probably deeper than a lot of people suspect. Our party thinks maybe some things we’re saying aren’t cutting through, but I think it’s much deeper than that.
The end of that is really fascinating. The pollster surveyed Biden/Youngkin voters and they all lumped Biden in with Democrats as a whole, but regarded Trump as a unicorn and not representative of Republicans. That's a serious problem, given that I think the true situation is closer to the exact inverse of that. If a Republican doesn't swear fealty to Trump, they don't even get nominated. Meanwhile, Democrats feel free to engage in major infighting even while they hold majorities everywhere. As always, Democrats can't effectively message ANYTHING. Democrats need some big changes in how they are branded and sold, or they are going to absolutely get their butts kicked a year from now.
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » December 2nd, 2021, 10:31 pm

Phredd3 wrote:
December 2nd, 2021, 11:05 am
December 2nd, 2021, 9:48 am

The end of that is really fascinating. The pollster surveyed Biden/Youngkin voters and they all lumped Biden in with Democrats as a whole, but regarded Trump as a unicorn and not representative of Republicans. That's a serious problem, given that I think the true situation is closer to the exact inverse of that. If a Republican doesn't swear fealty to Trump, they don't even get nominated. Meanwhile, Democrats feel free to engage in major infighting even while they hold majorities everywhere. As always, Democrats can't effectively message ANYTHING. Democrats need some big changes in how they are branded and sold, or they are going to absolutely get their butts kicked a year from now.
Agreed. The Democrats have no cohesion, messaging, or plan. As much as I am supportive of Stacey Abrams running for Governor of Georgia, part of me wanted her to not run for office as she seems to be really good at organizing, messaging and getting out the vote, so she would be a very valuable resource nationally.

The woke progressives need to STFU. And newspapers need to stop running to them for quotes. They are not representative of the national party so they should not act like they are speaking for the party. They are so incredibly tone deaf and think they know everything. They can't get it through their heads that they basically have two alternatives - Trump Republicans or moderate Democrats. So by being so difficult they are helping to elect Trump Republicans, when moderate Democrats are a lot closer to what they want. But compromise is not in their vocabularies.

My hope is that Virginia was an anomaly and that voters differentiate between state/local politics and national. As much as it is now the local legislatures that are approving the gerrymandered districts that will help the Republicans nationally, there is still a difference between the two. I think it is hard for a Republican to run nationally and not be closely connected to Trump. Locally it is easier for them to distance themselves.

All that being said, Biden needs to hurry up and get some more things done as it is going to be a big mess in a year. He needs to go for the singles and doubles rather than just the home runs. And as I believe others have said here (as well as in the media), as bad as it could be for Roe v Wade to get overturned, it could actually help in the election. If the Dems are smart enough to message it effectively, which is a huge If.
OPK
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by OPK » December 2nd, 2021, 10:57 pm

CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
December 2nd, 2021, 10:31 pm

The woke progressives need to STFU. And newspapers need to stop running to them for quotes. They are not representative of the national party so they should not act like they are speaking for the party. They are so incredibly tone deaf and think they know everything. They can't get it through their heads that they basically have two alternatives - Trump Republicans or moderate Democrats. So by being so difficult they are helping to elect Trump Republicans, when moderate Democrats are a lot closer to what they want. But compromise is not in their vocabularies.
I really have trouble seeing why this is not absurdly obvious. But I guess that makes me part of the problem.

And the same is true of the insurrectionist wing of the Republican Party. Same lack of touch with reality.

Moderates and independents have no home in our current politics.
dudog

Post by dudog » December 2nd, 2021, 11:39 pm

CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
My hope is that Virginia was an anomaly and that voters differentiate between state/local politics and national. As much as it is now the local legislatures that are approving the gerrymandered districts that will help the Republicans nationally, there is still a difference between the two. I think it is hard for a Republican to run nationally and not be closely connected to Trump. Locally it is easier for them to distance themselves.
Unfortunately, I disagree CNC. The rush of Republican candidates running for local elections (from city commissions, school boards, and up to state legislatures and offices (such as the all-important Secretary of State in charge of elections)) are extremely Trumpy. Extremely. It's very scary because Ds just don't pay attention.
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » December 3rd, 2021, 9:09 am

dudog wrote:
December 2nd, 2021, 11:39 pm
CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
Unfortunately, I disagree CNC. The rush of Republican candidates running for local elections (from city commissions, school boards, and up to state legislatures and offices (such as the all-important Secretary of State in charge of elections)) are extremely Trumpy. Extremely. It's very scary because Ds just don't pay attention.
I think you are generally right. That's why I said "my hope." I still think/hope there are some exceptions on the more local levels, but they largely do not exist nationally (president, senate, house), particularly because of the nature of the primary process. There are still a fair number of anti-Trump Republicans, but not enough to get someone through a primary and onto the general election. I think the more local you get, the less parties matter, but as you accurately noted, this is becoming less and less true as school boards and such are now getting a lot more political. All the political school board discussions reminds me of the book banning scene from my favorite movie, Field of Dreams. If only we had Annie Kinsella to rally the Democrats.

Interestingly, Charlie Baker of Mass. just announced that he is not running for re-election. He could have been a good test case. Extremely moderate Republican in a very blue state. Unclear whether it is because he didn't think he could get through the primary or he has just had enough. I am generally a straight-line Democrat but based on what I know about him, I would vote for him over a large number of Democrats.
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » December 3rd, 2021, 11:45 am

Just saw an interesting interview in the NY Times of a pollster who spoke to those in VA who voted for Biden and Youngkin. The article has a link to a summary of his findings. It largely agrees with a lot of what we have been discussing. Long story short, Dems are too focused on social issues and not enough on the economy. And this applies to all of the groups who are theoretically being helped the most by the concern for social issues. They also blame the Dems for closing schools and not showing an understanding of how hard this was for families, even if those families don't necessarily disagree with having schools closed.

Also, Youngkin did a good job of distancing himself from Trump so campaigning by linking him to Trump didn't really work very well. It will be interesting to see if Republican candidates in purple areas tell Trump to stay away in the future, especially for general elections.

https://thirdway.imgix.net/pdfs/overrid ... search.pdf
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » December 5th, 2021, 5:56 pm

Georgia is gonna be all kindsa fun.
Former GOP Sen. David Perdue plans to announce Monday that he's mounting a primary challenge against Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp, a move that will pit the ally of former President Donald Trump against the incumbent Republican governor and set up an intra-party fight in one of the nation's closely watched political battlegrounds, according to multiple reports.
https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/05/politics ... index.html
OPK

Post by OPK » December 5th, 2021, 8:51 pm

December 5th, 2021, 5:56 pm
Former GOP Sen. David Perdue plans to announce Monday that he's mounting a primary challenge against Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp, a move that will pit the ally of former President Donald Trump against the incumbent Republican governor and set up an intra-party fight in one of the nation's closely watched political battlegrounds, according to multiple reports.
I regret wishing, several years ago, that my vote in Georgia mattered.

I gotta think that a bloody GOP primary helps Stacey Abrams. She only lost to Kemp by about 1.5% IIRC, and Perdue lost to a weaker candidate than she is (Jon Ossoff). A fight over which GOP candidate is Trumpier, in a state that rejected Trumpism before the insurrection, can’t help the GOP.

Of course, as discussed above, the national Dems are doing everything they can to hand power back to the GOP. I think most swing voters here are moderate and care more about the economy than who is wokest or in embracing The Squad’s agenda. A huge BBB that raises taxes, and risks further inflation, is really bad policy here

“IT’S THE ECONOMY, STUPID” keeps coming to mind.

JMHO.
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » December 5th, 2021, 11:04 pm

OPK wrote:
December 5th, 2021, 8:51 pm
December 5th, 2021, 5:56 pm
I regret wishing, several years ago, that my vote in Georgia mattered.

I gotta think that a bloody GOP primary helps Stacey Abrams. She only lost to Kemp by about 1.5% IIRC, and Perdue lost to a weaker candidate than she is (Jon Ossoff). A fight over which GOP candidate is Trumpier, in a state that rejected Trumpism before the insurrection, can’t help the GOP.

Of course, as discussed above, the national Dems are doing everything they can to hand power back to the GOP. I think most swing voters here are moderate and care more about the economy than who is wokest or in embracing The Squad’s agenda. A huge BBB that raises taxes, and risks further inflation, is really bad policy here

“IT’S THE ECONOMY, STUPID” keeps coming to mind.

JMHO.
I assume that with Abrams now in the race all other Democrats will steer clear? That should help her a lot while the Republicans beat each other up. And as you noted, in a Republican primary, the candidates will be fighting over their Trumpiness, which will not help them with marginal voters in the general election.

I don't recall exactly how things work in GA, but if Abrams were to manage to win, I assume she would be working with a very Republican legislature - would she be able to get anything done? Or just slow things down a bit? Every state works a bit differently in terms of how much power the governor actually has.

Between the governor election and the Warnock/Herschel Walker battle (bless Herschel's heart), I think it would be wise to invest in the stock of the major TV and radio network owners in Georgia, as poor OPK is going to be up to his ears in political advertising.
dudog

Post by dudog » December 6th, 2021, 12:42 am

Another piece of normalcy that we have missed. The President is participating in the Kennedy Center Honors for the 1st time since 2016.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... li=BBnb7Kz