Ymm, Beer!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

wilson
PWing School Professor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by wilson » August 22nd, 2009, 7:34 pm

YmoBeThere wrote:Just wondering, do they let you carry on a six pack on a plane in this day and age?
No. All liquids are included in the bar against containers of more than three ounces.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 22nd, 2009, 7:35 pm

wilson wrote:
YmoBeThere wrote:Just wondering, do they let you carry on a six pack on a plane in this day and age?
No. All liquids are included in the bar against containers of more than three ounces.
Sometimes you can get people to ship, but laws on sending booze across state lines are also pretty wacky. Good luck.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 22nd, 2009, 7:50 pm

You can put them in checked luggage, wrapped in socks or clothes. DD has done this.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 22nd, 2009, 8:46 pm

bluebear wrote:
devildeac wrote:Palo Santo Marron-aged about 6-8 months-I woulda waited a year or more but I got "bluebeared" by this one and couldn't wait. In fact, I had 2 left from this winter and drank them both (on consecutive nights, BTW, as they are 12% ABV :D ). I believe this is even smoother now. This is an unfiltered brown ale that pours a dark, clear brown and has a modest head that is retained for a bit, unlike many other high gravity brews. It is aged in hand-crafted Palo Santo wooden vessels and has an IBU of 50. There are luscious notes of vanilla, dark chocolate caramel and perhaps some dark rum. It is a tad boozey and that is descriptive and not a drawback. Pull one of these from your 'fridge and let it sit on the counter before decanting into a pint glass or a snifter. This would be a great dessert by itself, with anything chocolate or as a beverage with a dinner of anything spicy or BBQ'd. Rmd mentioned this in the past, but this is now a year round offering so I will ALWAYS have one or two of these in the "cellar" for personal or shared enjoyment.
I represent that remark :D I have moved my cellar beers from the closet to the actual cellar (after a monumental cleaning) so I'm hoping that the move improves my restraint..What an incredible description though of a great beer. I may have to pull out my last one tonight and if so, I blame you :lol:
:D
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 22nd, 2009, 8:49 pm

You can't bring them in carry-on luggage, unless you buy them AFTER you have gone through security. :(

You can however put them in running shoes, ski boots, socks, sweat shirts and other items in your checked luggage. :D
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 22nd, 2009, 8:50 pm

wilson wrote:
And there are no 3 ounce beers, unless you are pouring from their original containers into your 3 ounce carry-on containers. :roll: :))
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 22nd, 2009, 8:52 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:You can put them in checked luggage, wrapped in socks or clothes. DD has done this.
Don't forget shoes of various types, too. :)) :))
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » August 22nd, 2009, 9:35 pm

No. They won't even let you carry on a 6 ounce tube of toothpaste.

You've gotta ship liquids in your suitcase these days and take your chances with the baggage handlers.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 22nd, 2009, 10:07 pm

CathyCA wrote:
No. They won't even let you carry on a 6 ounce tube of toothpaste.

You've gotta ship liquids in your suitcase these days and take your chances with the baggage handlers.
I've had mucho success with this method for 10 years or more. :oops: :D
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 22nd, 2009, 10:20 pm

Wild Raspberry Ale from Great Divide.
There is one fruit beer that I love and will always buy (SA's Cherry Wheat), and there are a bunch that I buy and loathe. (Never found a blueberry that I've enjoyed) I'm always willing to try a new one, so I've given Wild Raspberry a chance, and I'm glad I did. Basically a well hopped pale ale with a nice fruit flavoring; if you gave it to me label free I wouldn't be able to say it's raspberry for sure, but it's obvious that there is more to it than malts and hops. I only got one bottle, I'll have to pick up a few more, if not a sixer. The hops are prominent, offering a nice tickle to the toungue, and the flavor hangs around for a bit. I'm glad I'll be able to add another beer to my short list of fruited enjoyables. I'll be sure to have a couple for traders at a brunchgate.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 22nd, 2009, 10:59 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:Wild Raspberry Ale from Great Divide.
There is one fruit beer that I love and will always buy (SA's Cherry Wheat), and there are a bunch that I buy and loathe. (Never found a blueberry that I've enjoyed) I'm always willing to try a new one, so I've given Wild Raspberry a chance, and I'm glad I did. Basically a well hopped pale ale with a nice fruit flavoring; if you gave it to me label free I wouldn't be able to say it's raspberry for sure, but it's obvious that there is more to it than malts and hops. I only got one bottle, I'll have to pick up a few more, if not a sixer. The hops are prominent, offering a nice tickle to the toungue, and the flavor hangs around for a bit. I'm glad I'll be able to add another beer to my short list of fruited enjoyables. I'll be sure to have a couple for traders at a brunchgate.
:D
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 22nd, 2009, 11:24 pm

devildeac wrote:It is aged in hand-crafted Palo Santo wooden vessels and has an IBU of 50. There are luscious notes of vanilla, dark chocolate caramel and perhaps some dark rum. It is a tad boozey and that is descriptive and not a drawback.
I had one last night, and am sipping on one now. I agree with your review, of course mine is the fresher version. 2 things I really enjoy is the quick bite the ale has, and I detect some coffee notes that are nice. I'll leave my last 2 for my stepdad and let him enjoy them at his leisure, and I'll restock on my way home.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » August 22nd, 2009, 11:32 pm

In my local Kroger... Schlafly's Scotch Ale. Any review of this brew? :?:
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 22nd, 2009, 11:58 pm

Lavabe wrote:In my local Kroger... Schlafly's Scotch Ale. Any review of this brew? :?:
No, we are depending on you to procure a 6er, consume 1 or 2, preferably on different nights and then post a review. Then, bring the remainder to a Brunchgate to share/trade with others. :D
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » August 23rd, 2009, 8:39 pm

I drank a Bud Light Lime last night. The other option was Miller Chill. Did I make a bad choice? (The bottled green tea was better.)

I did think of Ozzie when I had the Bud Light - I just left the lime off the thought.
Life is good!
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 23rd, 2009, 8:43 pm

DukieInKansas wrote:I drank a Bud Light Lime last night. The other option was Miller Chill. Did I make a bad choice? (The bottled green tea was better.)

I did think of Ozzie when I had the Bud Light - I just left the lime off the thought.
You made 1 bad choice and 1 good choice. The bad choice was drinking the budlite. The good choice was NOT drinking the millerchill. :roll: :)) =))

Shoulda had another green tea... :roll:
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » August 23rd, 2009, 8:54 pm

devildeac wrote:
DukieInKansas wrote:I drank a Bud Light Lime last night. The other option was Miller Chill. Did I make a bad choice? (The bottled green tea was better.)

You made 1 bad choice and 1 good choice. The bad choice was drinking the budlite. The good choice was NOT drinking the millerchill. :roll: :)) =))

Shoulda had another green tea... :roll:
It did serve a purpose, however. We needed an empty bottle to play Beersbee.
Life is good!
rockymtn devil
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by rockymtn devil » August 23rd, 2009, 10:01 pm

Stone Ruination IIPA: This is a seriously hopped beer that I could smell the moment I opened the bottle. The is all bitter hops, with a lot of pine and a bit of lemon zest. Flavor follows suit with what you'd expect--lots of pine and grassy, floral notes--and also has a serious bite from the hops. Despite this, it's pleasantly drinkable and hides its 7.7% ABV well. This is a beer that you can feel taking out your taste buds. I'd guess the IBUs are near 100. This would be a nice pairing with spicy Thai or Mexican food.
:ymbilly: vs. :ymhiro: Ken vs. Ryu. Classic.
Sue71
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Sue71 » August 23rd, 2009, 10:01 pm

I still don't like beer.
You don't walk the plank in NJ. You just disappear. Forever.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 23rd, 2009, 10:03 pm

Sue71 wrote:I still don't like beer.