Ymm, Beer!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by devildeac » February 24th, 2019, 1:58 pm

Olde School Barleywine (bottled on 10/27/14 1343)-Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

This was another aged beer that called my name from the beer fridge a few days ago and I divided the 12 ounce bottle (my last) over the last 3 nights.

Poured into a cute little 5 ounce snifter (one of four gifted to me at Christmas for sharing with family members; yes, the snifters and the contents ) and appeared a clear, medium to dark amber with a small, rapidly disappearing head. The last sample has some fine sediment and was rather cloudy without being chunky. Stuff smelled like dried, dark fruit elixir and tasted like it, too. Figs and dates (both were added) were very prominent along with dark brown sugar, dark rum (not barrel aged), dried cherries, molasses with a mouthfeel that was almost cloying and syrupy. IBUs were 85 (it's a barleywine) but I'd have never guessed so high as it was amazingly smooth. ABV reached the legal NC limit of 15% () and, after about 3-4 ounces each night, it was readily apparent.

I'm not sure whether this was a trader or a personal purchase so, if you remember including this in a 4 pack a few years ago, many blessings and thanks to you or I'll have to sustain personal injury (no lawyers necessary, thank you very much ) whilst patting myself on the head and shoulders for this purchase. And, I don't like barleywines much anymore but, if I saw a 4 pack of this rarity, I'd readily spend the $20ish it'd take to buy it.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 24th, 2019, 8:18 pm

Brut IPA (Enjoy by: 21APR19)-New Belgium Brewing

The only listed member of their Up Next Series. Two bucks for a 12 ounce bottle that I've wanted to sample since its release several months (?) ago but not willing to spent $10ish for the 6er.

Poured a pale, straw-yellow color with a modest but persistent fizzy head. Notes of apples and pears up front with strawberries, melons, lemon and hints of citrus on the palate and a bubbly sensation on the tongue. I'd have never guessed the IBUs at 55 as it's much "milder" than that . ABV "in the rotation" at 6.7%. I'd pair with some mild Asian/Middle Eastern cuisine. Solid offering I'd sip again if offered. Ingredients:

Hops: Huell Melon, Nelson Savin, Azzaca, Citra, Amarillo

Malts: Pale, pilsner
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 25th, 2019, 9:32 pm

Fear. Movie. Lions-Stone Brewing

Code:

RVA 11/19/18
EJBY 03/19/19 22:33

I don't even need tbyers11 to decipher that one for me .

I've read the can and the website but still don't get the meaning of the beer's name .

It's an unfiltered DIPA and they were astute and serious by labeling the pint can that way. This is *not* a pretty beer. A vigorous pour yielded a foamy, yellow-amber, flocculent beverage in my standard pint glass with 12 ounces to start and a 4 ounce finish. Don't let the unappealing appearance fool you as it's scents were Dole pineapple-orange-mango-peach juice and it tasted just like it, too, with perhaps a splash of grapefruit. If blindfolded (like many acc refs), I'm not sure I could differentiate this from a glass of a tropical-citrus juice blend. IBUs were 60 and featured Loral and Mosaic hops. The ABV was 8.5%, unlike most fruit juice blends . I think this was $3.50 for the can and well worth the cost. Not sure I'd go for a 4 pack of this but it was quite pleasing for a West Coast style NEIPA, whatever that means.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 25th, 2019, 10:19 pm

blonde wheat bock-HiWire Brewing in collaboration with Bond Brothers Beer Company

Packaged on 12/17/18 by The Three Ring Brewing Company

I thought fuse had reviewed this which prompted my purchase yesterday ($3 for a pint can-a very nice, friendly price) but the search feature gave me an 0'fer so I'm flying solo here.

Poured aggressively into a standard pint glass with a resulting thin, off-white head. Aromas and tastes much as expected with this German-style lager, including lightly toasted bread and honey which accompanied very mild floral hop bitterness quite pleasantly. I'll guess IBUs about 20 with the ABV at 7.2%, almost sneaking this into doppelbock territory. This would be pleasant with Wienerschnitzel, brat/bock/knockwursts, lederhosen and polkas.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 26th, 2019, 10:41 pm

From 2/15/16:
devildeac wrote:
February 15th, 2016, 9:59 pm
Black Watch-Highland Brewing Company

Liquid brownies!!!

Part of their Warrior Series, this is a double chocolate imperial milk stout as they took 5 grains, roasted barley, flaked oats and a bunch of cacao nibs, threw in some lactose and created an almost black elixir with a one finger head that smells like a pan of dark chocolate brownies with semi-sweet chocolate chunks that has been drizzled heavily with fudge sauce. Tastes just about the same. This is some kind of sweet so it took me almost an hour to consume the 12 ounce serving that was even more flavorful as it warmed. I'll guess IBUs of 30 and the ABV is on the bottle at 8%. Forget dessert tonight as I just drank it :ymblushing: .
From last PM:

Black Watch (Bottled on 11/17/18)-Highland Brewing Company

Twelve ounce bottle purchased Sunday for $4. I'd guess a 6er would be about $20 so one was a bit spendy, but I only wanted several singles the last few days as I have a load of brews waiting in Columbus for me that I'll pick up in a couple days.

It's still amazingly delicious and all the above still applies. IIRC, from my research last PM, the IBUs are 45 but hop presence is really minimal.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 27th, 2019, 11:20 pm

The Perfect Disguise-Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

Bottled on 2/01/19-Fresh!!

Not local !

Imperial kolsch or Kolsch IPA?

Leave it to the sometimes (often?) wacky DFH folks to concoct a beverage like this. Here's their explanation:

"On the surface, The Perfect Disguise looks like a straightforward Kölsch with a crisp Kölsch yeast and traditional German malts and hops … but things aren’t always what they seem. With a quick sniff and a slight sip, you’re greeted by a creamy mouthfeel and full body thanks to the addition of a unique German chit malt - the first hint that this beer may be somewhat different.

Hiding deeper behind that German disguise is the double dry-hopping of an American Double IPA, with nearly 4 lbs. of German and American hops per barrel."

(I guess I can quote "chit" here .)

Poured vigorously from a 12 ounce bottle ($2.50) into a standard pint glass. Head was foamy, off-white and modest. Lots of peach, grapefruit, pear, apple and melon aromas and tastes to match. Bitterness was mild to moderate and more rind-y/pithy than dank/piney. Pretty nice fruity sweetness. IBUs at 70 (IPA/IIPA territory) but didn't drink/feel that high. ABV was 8%, also more like a DIPA and not in the kolsch zip code and probably above an imperial kolsch, a rarity. Definitely worth a try, maybe even a 6er to share/trade, guessing that would set you back about $13.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 2nd, 2019, 12:33 pm

Blonde Foeder with Peaches (draft)-Ballast Point Brewing Company

Ten samples shared among 4 of us last PM with Mrs. dd technically only ordering/sampling the Tart Cherry Sour Wench (no snide comments, please-she's not like that at all :p).

Pour was a clear, headless, pale, yellow-orange. Smelled like peach jam with a bit of vinegar. Tastes were mild to moderately puckery with peach and lemon juiciness, minimal sweetness and a tart/sour, barely perceptible bitterness. Brewed with 6 different yeasts and aged for 8 months. I'll guess 10 IBUs and the ABV was 5.4%. This was not a group favorite but I liked it a bit more than the others but would not purchase a package of it. Other fruited sours (cherry, berries, etc) are more appealing to me.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 2nd, 2019, 12:41 pm

Tart Cherry Sour Wench (draft)-Ballast Point Brewing Company

As mentioned above, not a reference to Mrs. dd, simply the only beer that even remotely appealed to her last PM as the brewery had no New Glarus fruit ales on draft .

Pour was a clean/clean, light cherry color (d'oh ) with no head. Labeled on the menu as a Berliner Weisse and the clean/clear appearance would have fooled me. Nose of cherry juice and vinegar. Less tart/sour than the Blonde Foeder with Peaches above and more appealing to the group. Light berry and lemon flavors, too, with minimal bitterness, guessing 10 IBUs. ABV was 7%. Very pleasant ale and would likely appeal to the non-sour beer fan or as an "intro" to the style. I'd sip this again.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 2nd, 2019, 7:56 pm

Brett Raspberry Sour Wench (draft)-Ballast Point Brewing Company

Third sample of the evening, this one another Berliner Weisse soured with Brettanomyces yeast and aged in bourbon barrels with a buncha raspberries added. Pour was a clear, berry color with no head. Nose was sour/tart/vinegar with funk and wet straw aromas, too. Tastes mirrored aromas along with berries and a mild, warming bourbon finish. I'll guess IBUs around 10 and the ABV was 6.6%. This got one vote as a favorite, until we got to several other high gravity brews. Having sipped their sours, I'd certainly consider a 6er of their Sour Blackberry Wench which I've seen in stores but not purchased.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 2nd, 2019, 8:08 pm

Berry Nibbly (draft)-Ballast Point Brewing Company

In the clean-up position is a chocolate-raspberry porter so the pour was a dark brown with a small, tan head. Smelled like raspberry jellied candies rolled in baker's cocoa and tasted pretty much the same. IBUs estimated at 40 and the ABV on the menu stated 7.2% so almost in the imperial porter territory. I'd have like this a bit better with a bit more chocolate than cocoa flavors, but overall, an tasty and interesting beer.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 2nd, 2019, 8:53 pm

Experi-mint-al Porter (draft)-Ballast Point Brewing Company

Halfway through our 2 flights with this "Chicago only holiday porter with chocolate and peppermint."

Pour was a dark brown with a small, tan head. Pretty powerful mint aromas. Tasted like a milk chocolate-covered after dinner mint. I'll guess IBUs about 40 and the ABV was 6.9%. I'll have to try the Gizmo Stiletto Stout, one of their year round brews, IIRC, in a side-by-side with their Christmas Peppermint Stiletto Stout when it's available late this year to see if they make the mint a bit more subtle than Ballast Point did. This was interesting but didn't make anyone's top 5 last PM.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 2nd, 2019, 9:02 pm

Watermelon Dorado (draft)-Ballast Point Brewing Company

And starting off the 2nd flight of the evening we had an alcoholic Jolly Rancher Watermelon hop bomb.

Appearance was a light pink-yellow-orange with no head. "Hey, somebody dropped a watermelon slice and rind in my DIPA!" I'll guess this was 80-90 IBUs based on the style and pretty bitter finish. There were hints of orange and grapefruit on the palate. The ABV was 10%. I think I would have liked the Dorado Double IPA better than this. Again, another interesting beer but I've liked their Pineapple and Grapefruit Sculpin IPAs better than this one.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 2nd, 2019, 11:57 pm

Peanut Butter Victory at Sea (draft)-Ballast Point Brewing Company

Another heavyweight, this time a peanut-infused/brewed imperial porter that was dark brown with a medium tan head. Plentiful scents of roasted peanuts, chocolate and coffee (neither infused), followed by roasted grains, cocoa and dark, burnt caramel. I'll guess 30-40 IBUs with a 10% ABV printed on the menu. Our younger daughter's favorite. Certainly worth a pint if you see it on draft or a single at your favorite craft beer shop.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 3rd, 2019, 12:03 am

Rye Barrel-Aged Navigator (draft)-Ballast Point Brewing Company

This was a seriously good doppelbock that was aged in High West rye whiskey barrels. Pour was a dark brown with a small, tan head. Seductive scents of dark caramel, and whiskey. So smooth on the palate with butterscotch, dark cherries, toasted whole grain bread and whiskey. My IBU guess is 20 as it's a lager and the ABVs are creeping up the chart with this listed at 10.75%. I had no clue BPBC had a doppelbock in their line-up and I'd easily make room for minutes for this one if I saw it again on draft or as a packaged set.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 3rd, 2019, 5:18 pm

From Friday night-best of show:

High West Bourbon & Rye Barrel-Aged Victory At Sea (draft)-Ballast Point Brewing Company

Pour was onyx with no head. Mouthfeel was slick/smooth and oily. 10W40 viscosity. First impressions/scents are semi-sweet chocolate and booze. Tasting thoughts are dark chocolate caramel swirls, wood, toasted coconut and almonds, vanilla, molasses and warm, warm bourbon. No additives listed based on the beer menu info. I'll guess IBUs about 40-50 (it's an imperial porter, not an imperial stout) with the ABV at a dangerously sippable 12.4%. We had some fancy desserts (complimentary for 2 birthdays celebrated) at a restaurant near the brewery and this was a perfect closer to the dining/tasting festivities of the evening.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 3rd, 2019, 6:16 pm

Day late, dollar short. Weekend's not over yet. From yesterday while watching the Duke-UM game:

Helles Other People (draft)-Oak Park Brewing Company

Part 1 of a 5 beer flight, this one being a traditional German lager so the color was light yellow-straw with a small head. Nose of Euro hops (mild, floral) and tastes of light brown sugar, flowers and very mild bitterness. IBUs were 18 and the ABV was 4.9%. This was a bit light for pairing with poutine and nachos but the 3 of us who shared the flight found it mild and pleasant.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 3rd, 2019, 6:21 pm

Second batter:

Speakeasy Saison (draft)-Oak Park Brewing Company

Slightly cloudy and straw-colored with a small, fizzy head, this farmhouse ale had light, fruity aromas of apples and pears with a bit of barnyard/funk but not *those* type of farm aromas . Effervescent mouthfeel with tastes of fresh apples, pears and a drop of lemon juice. Gentle on the palate at 22 IBUs and easy on the ABV at 6.1%.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 3rd, 2019, 6:55 pm

Third hitter:

Shift Two (draft)-Oak Park Brewing Company and the IAFF Local 95 Oak Park Firefighters Union

This session pale ale was subbed in for Mary Hoppins which had slid up the bannister and out of pouring range .

Appearance was a light gold-yellow with a small, fluffy, off-white head. Dole tropical.citrus fruit juice lite with faint aromas of oranges, grapefruits and pineapples and tastes to match, Two malts, Maris Otter and Brewers' 2-row, impart some light, brown sugary flavors and an ABV of 5.2%. Two hops, Mosaic and Fuggles, lend very mild bitterness (IBUs are 9, quite low for a pale ale but it's labeled a session pale ale). Quite pleasant pairing with the poutine and pulled pork nachos.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 3rd, 2019, 6:59 pm

Clean-up batter:

Frank Lloyd Rye (draft)-Oak Park Brewing Company

A rye IPA that was yellow-orange with a modest, foamy head and aromas of pine, citrus and wet rye bread and tastes to match with the rye making it very slightly "spicy." IBUs at 55 and ABV at 6.7%, both solidly in IPA territory. Now this was a very good pairing with poutine and the mildly spicy nachos.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 3rd, 2019, 8:51 pm

London Britches (draft)-Oak Park Brewing Company

Final 5 ounce pour from a shared 5 beer flight, this one is an English style porter so it appeared with a modest-sized tan head atop a dark brown brew that smelled of medium roast coffee and mild milk chocolate, neither added to the brew. Tasted much as the aromas advertised with mild earthy, herbal bitterness. IBUs were 33 and the ABV was 5.6%, both in-line with the style. A good pairing with the shared apps as above.