Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by devildeac » January 17th, 2019, 9:19 pm

Bloom (canned on 12/14/2018 12:51:17)-Brewery Bhavana

Dry cardamom tripel

Poured from a 12 ounce can ($2.59 I think) into a large, Ommegang tulip. Moderate fizzy head that dissipated quickly and left a small amount of Belgian lace. Orange-yellow and cloudy in appearance, there were aromas of spice, orange and honey. Tasting impressions included mild curry (), orange juice and zest, light brown sugar and a pinch of black pepper with the only oddity the curry which likely was the cardamom and my sensors failed. I'll guess IBUs about 30 with the ABV at 8.1%. I believe this would be an outstanding pairing with almost anything on their menu:

https://brewerybhavana.com/dim-sum/

I'm continuing to find excellent reasons why this was listed as one of the top new restaurants (and breweries?) in the US in 2017:

https://www.newsobserver.com/living/...167246387.html
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 18th, 2019, 11:20 pm

Slooow Mo (no date on can)-Knee Deep Brewing Company

100% Mosaic hopped IPA.

Item #1 from my January beer club 4 pack.

Pour was a light, yellow-copper with a moderate, frothy head after a vigorous exit from the 12 ounce can. There are multiple tropical fruit scents and tastes including pineapple, papaya, guava with hints of (non-tropical) melons and stone fruits. Very mild bitterness with IBUs of 41 and standard IPA ABV at 6.5%. This was very happy with some grilled salmon (basted with olive oil and Emeril's spices) and roasted Yukon Gold potatoes.

Looks like we have 2 good reviews of Knee Deep brews after Tripping William's Stoutello.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 19th, 2019, 4:17 pm

Hazy Little Thing IPA (bottom of can dots read: PKGD 112118M 15:02)-Sierra Nevada Brewing Company

Stolen, err, borrowed from our older daughter's fridge for a weekend dog-siting fee .

"Family owned, operated and argued over"

Their description:

"As brewers, we get the privilege to sample our beers straight from the tanks in all their raw glory. Some beers need a little polishing to get ready to go out into the world, while others—the hop-heavy, rowdy, crowd-pleasers—should just be left alone. We wanted to share this brewery-only treat with you, so we present this Hazy Little Thing, our unfiltered, unprocessed IPA, straight from the tanks and into the can."

Tasty stuff for a nightcap last PM.

Poured from a 12 ounce can into a boring, standard pint glass. Appearance was a moderately flocculent, orange-yellow with a medium-sized, foamy head. Smells like a tropical-citrus juice blend and tastes like one, too. Pineapple, guava, papaya, orange and mango come to mind. I guess it best fits into the NEIPA niche with IBUs of 40 and ABV of 6.7%. This would have paired nicely with our salmon, "super foods" salad and roasted potatoes dinner earlier in the evening. Ingredients (theri caps, not mine):

YEAST: Ale yeast
BITTERING HOPS: Magnum
FINISHING HOPS: Citra, Comet, Simcoe, El Dorado, Mosaic
MALTS: Two-row Pale, Munich, Oats, Wheat
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 20th, 2019, 3:04 pm

Hefeweizen (from label: bottled on 8/22/18)-Old Hickory Brewery

Not exactly fresh but a thief and beggar can't be choosy as I pilfered this from our older daughter's on Friday for an "additional charge" for hound-sitting ).

Poured in a spirited manner from a 12 ounce bottle into a Sam Adams White Ale glass after dinner and during the first half of last PM's tussle. A large, fizzy head quickly appeared and disappeared almost as rapidly. You want aromas of banana, clove and bubble gum? You got 'em! You want typical wheat beer tastes? Ditto. Color was yellow and the visual was cloudy, pretty typical for an unfiltered wheat ale. IBUs and ABV represent the style accurately at 10 and 4.5%, respectively. Solid offering and helped to calm the nerves a bit and loosen up the dance steps as we headed out for a night of ballroom dancing, following the rest of the contest by phone .
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 20th, 2019, 8:43 pm

Hopefully, this counts as a celebratory brew last PM:

Stone Farking Wheaton w00tstout (bottled on 06/28/18)-Stone Brewing

Woot!!

This was included in my July beer club 4 pack and amazingly made it until 2019. I've enjoyed this in the past so when I saw a single for about $2.75, IIRC, I bought that but wasn't going to splurge $16+ for the 6er.

An aggressive pour was almost black into a Founders snifter and generated a large, creamy tan head. Pretty complex aromas of dark chocolate, molasses, dark fruits, must and hints of bourbon and meant to resemble a Kentucky Derby Pie. Palate matches nicely with olfactory sensations with nuts (pecans added) and a trace of licorice. IBUs at 45 and the ABV was 11.5%. Liquid dessert as a nightcap.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 21st, 2019, 10:51 pm

Gingerbread Stout (no bottle dating)-Hardywood Park Craft Brewery

The original.

A bit late to the party after accfanfrom1970 and Tripping William started the reviews late December or early this month.

This 500 ml bottle ($7 including tax) was bought at Total Wine last month to "fill out" our son's GBS Complete Set order as he split his with a friend. I actually bought 4 extras so he'll be "shorted" a beer .

Poured a dark brown with a small, tan head into a collector's glass. Smells like a dark chocolate-covered gingerbread man cookie (icing optional). Additives include honey, vanilla, cinnamon, lactose (making this an imperial milk stout)and ginger (D'oh ). IBUs are 55, typical for the style but minimal perceived bitterness. ABV is 9.2% and it is indeed dangerously sippable. To borrow the old beeradvocate description: "Like freagin' Christmas in a bottle." I can't wait to plunge into my GBS Complete Set over the next few weeks.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 22nd, 2019, 11:38 pm

Grapefruit Slam (draft)-Stone Brewing

Originally brewed in the fall of 2014.

Two ounce taster to prime the palate after work and before tip-off tonight.

Pour was a yellow-orange with a small head. Piney, grapefruity nose with the same tastes with the citrus a bit more prominent. I'll guess IBUs of 60-70 with zest/rind at the forefront but still somewhat resiny. Featured hops are Centennial, Chinook and Magnum and the grapefruit aromas and tastes originate from the grapefruit peel infusion. ABV was 8%, at the low end for a DIPA. Would pair nicely with spicy fare. I wouldn't buy a 6er of this but would happily drink a 12 ounce can or share a bomber.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 23rd, 2019, 10:15 pm

Don't Call Me Baby (draft)-New Anthem Beer Project

Relatively new brewery in Wilmington, NC, this time with a NEIPA.

Half pint pour appeared hazy yellow with a moderate, foamy head. Nares were tickled with citrus and tropical fruits and the tongue was coated with pineapple, grapefruit, peach and papaya. Described on Bottle Revolution's tap list in the following, somewhat disorganized manner: "English Pale, Munich, Carapils, Summit, Simcoe, Centennial, Amarillo. Traditional all malt IPA. Young pineapple, floral, Typical C Hop Citrus." I'm not sure how to completely translate that but the first 3 are grains, the next 4 are hops. It's *obviously* not an all malt IPA. I'm guessing pineapple is not really added, they thought it was floral and I have no clue about the last Hop Citrus junk . I'll guess IBUs about 40 and the ABV was 7.3%. I'd drink this again on draft or if I see a 4 pack or 6er of it.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 23rd, 2019, 10:22 pm

Not So Gently (draft)-New Anthem Beer Project

I sipped a half pint of this yellow-pear pulp colored imperial saison which had a fizzy, short-lived head. Nose of apples and pears (not added), typical for the style. There were some peach, nectarine and melon flavors along with the expected pears and apples, followed by a little bite from black pepper (likely not added but likely originating from a Belgian yeast or three). "Hopped with Sterling and a pretty big charge of Motueka." I'll guess IBUs around 30 here and the ABV is certainly "royal" at 8.2%. Another quality offering from NABP and worthy of a stop on our next trip to Wilmington and for anyone else who might be interested in a brewery walk/crawl on a visit there.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 24th, 2019, 7:46 pm

Goodbye, Titan (no bottle date)-Big Boss Brewing Company

Daedalus

Drink local!

Beer #3 from this month's beer club 4 pack is a stout with toasted coconut and yes, it does taste like a liquid Mounds bar .

Poured a dark brown from a 12 ounce bottle into a standard pint glass. Modest, tan head. Smells like dark chocolate and coconut. Mouthfeel a bit thin but plenty flavorful with baker's chocolate and more coconut and not quite a sweet as a Mounds bar or any chocolate covered coconut confections. I'll guess IBUs about 40 and the ABV is 5.5%. Nice to have a single and worth a bottle or pint if you see it but not worth a 4 pack or 6er.

I think it's a nice addition/improvement to Big Boss' beer selection.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 24th, 2019, 10:53 pm

Whiskers (stamped on bottle: 10/11/18)-D9 Brewing Company

Blonde Sour Ale

I gotta admit, after fuse's review of Trash Panda, a sour S'Mores ale () several months ago and my review of Cryonic from April, 2018, I had some serious misgivings about getting this in my beer club 4 pack this month. However, memory serves me (not always well ), that tripping William reviewed this sometime in the last 12-18 months, so I had some optimism and was not disappointed.

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into my oversized Ommegang tulip revealed a clear, light berry color with essentially no head. Interesting aromas of sour apples, berries and cherries and a moderate pucker factor (they claim 3 out of 5) with a bit of fruity sweetness to balance the sour berries, cherries and apples that rapidly move to the forefront. They claim IBUs of 0 which would mean no hops but that's difficult to believe. I'd guess 10-15. The ABV was 5.5%. With its vinegary tastes/mouthfeel, it made an interesting pairing with some beef/veal lasagna this evening. From their sales sheet:

Saccharomyces Felix (Wild), Edinburgh
Lactobacillus Ammit (Wild)
Speciality Rose Petals
Grain Crystal 10, Wheat, Torrified Barley, Flaked Oats

(spelling, lack of punctuation here is on D9 )
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 26th, 2019, 3:53 pm

Motivator (canned on 12/11/2018 11:46:05)-Crank Arm Brewing

More local!

I don't drink much Crank Arm stuff as they appear to concentrate on in-house/draft stuff with very little packaged distribution unless it's one of their spendy large format bottles I sometimes see for $20+ each .

This was pretty tasty last PM with two 8 ounce pours from my pint can into a Founder's snifter. Dark, dark brown with a creamy, tan head after a vigorous release. Amazing coffee nose, so much so that I wondered if I'd be able to sleep after my nightcap . Mouthfeel was standard for this imperial stout. There's a lot of java on the palate, too, with almost burnt coffee flavors and the cocoa nibs not coming through until near the end of the 2nd glass as the beverage warmed to near room temperature. IBUs at 30 and ABV at 8.6% and not barrel-aged. If you like your RIS coffee-forward, you'd greatly enjoy this for about $4/pint can. If you prefer more grain/chocolate-leaning flavors, this might not be that enjoyable. Very happy with the selection.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 27th, 2019, 10:27 pm

Hop Bullet (PKGD 09/11/18 M 09:30)-Sierra Nevada Brewing Company

Beer #3 from grocery store mixed 6er.

I had reservations about this as it was over 4 months old and with a lot of "C" hops listed in the ingredients but it was rather good. Poured from a 12 ounce can into a standard pint glass. Pale, golden-yellow in color with a bit of haze. There was some dankness, a bit of pine and a lot of citrus rind emanating from the vessel so the tastes of orange, grapefruit, pineapple and peach were pleasant surprises. Pine/resin was minor and a bit of grainy sweetness were present, too. IBUs of 55 and ABV of 8% filled the bill for this DIPA. An enjoyable way to spend a buck eighty-five for a brew. Ingredients:

YEAST Ale yeast
BITTERING HOPS Centennial
FINISHING HOPS Centennial, Cascade, Chinook, Magnum, Crystal, Idaho 7
MALTS Two-row Pale, Wheat, Caramel, Acidulated, Oats
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 27th, 2019, 10:43 pm

Cluster (291 8 2 3267 1610)-Lagunitas (heineken) Brewing Company

I have no clue what the numbers on the bottom of the can mean .

Beer #4 of the grocery store litter.

Poured vigorously from the $1.85 can into a standard pint glass. The result was a fairly clear/clean straw-yellow with a thick, foamy head. Lots more citrus and tropical fruit aromas and tastes than the Hop Bullet with the juiciness of oranges, peaches, melons, pineapple and grapefruit bursting from the glass and from my tongue. Mild caramel sweetness, too. IBUs at 60 and ABV of 8% so very similar to the SN DIPA. I *may* have enjoyed this a bit more but not really enough to pick a winner from last PM. Solid, affordable brew.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 28th, 2019, 10:19 pm

Lieutanant Dank-Wicked InBev Weed Brewing

Because it is easier to ask forgiveness than permission .

The $1.85 can I bought as part of the mixed 6er has disappeared so I have no brewed on date to reveal.

Pour was a clear, light, yellow-copper with a moderate, foamy head. Pretty fresh smells of grapefruit, peaches, wet hops and some dank resin/pine with tastes to match, finishing with a mild, caramel-y sweetness. I'll guess IBUs around 50 and the ABV on the can claimed 7.5%. Happy to have had a single and finally try this beer I've seen around for a couple years but not gonna spent $10ish for a matching half dozen set.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 28th, 2019, 10:27 pm

Hop Cocoa-Wicked InBev Weed Brewing

Please forgive me. Again.

Final 12 ounce can from my $11 mixed 6er from Harris Teeter last week.

Poured a dark brown with a very generous tan head into a shapely Dogfish Head pint glass last PM. Aromas and tastes exactly as one would expect from a porter brewed with local chocolates including a bit of dark caramel and a hint of coffee (neither added). I'll guess IBUs about 40 and the ABV was 6.5%. Another beer I've seen for a year or tow but wouldn't spend the $10ish for a matched set but happy to have tried for a buck eighty-five.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 29th, 2019, 10:32 pm

Pure Brewed Organic Lager (SE15R1)-Samuel Smith Old Brewery

Let's see if tbyers can figure out the code on the bottom of this 14.9 ounce can .

Chilled well and poured vigorously into a standard pint glass, the 440 ml of this pale straw-colored brew had a moderate, foamy head and the expected aromas of a European (yea, yea, I know, Brexit, history and all that stuff ) with a floral bouquet greeting the olfactory sensors and light caramel, hints of lemon, flowers and very mildly bitter hops (guessing Saaz, Tettnang and/or Mittlefruh) on the palate. IBUs guessed at 20-30 with the ABV at 5%. Last brew from my January beer club 4 pack was a pleasant surprise.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 29th, 2019, 10:44 pm

From 1/9/17:
devildeac wrote:
April 10th, 2016, 9:09 pm
Gouden Carolus Noel-Brouwerij Het Anker

These folks have been brewing beer for a while (1471!). Looks/tastes like they do a pretty good job .

Poured from a 330 ml bottle into an Ommegang goblet and shared (just a taste ) with our younger daughter last PM. Purchased a 4 pack at Total Wine a couple months ago on a "closeout" for about $7, IIRC, with their buck off coupon. I like inexpensive, outstanding ales. Almost as much as I like expensive, outstanding ales . Brewed in August, 2015 and bottled on 9/9/15, it poured a clear medium brown with hints of ruby, the nose was dark brown sugar, dried fruits and dark rum. Six spices are mentioned and I'd guess ginger, cinnamon, coriander and licorice with no clue what the last 2 might be. Three hops mentioned but not named. Tastes like an expensive, high quality fruitcake, with nuts, spices, brown sugar and raisins with dates and figs on the top instead of a nasty, red maraschino cherry and a green pineapple chunk. And I like fruitcakes. I've got 3 left and it can be cellared for 3 years so guess what's coming to the Christmas table this year?
From last PM:

Gouden Carolus Noel (Bottled on 09/09/15)-Brouwerij Het Anker

Merry Christmas to me. Again. Late . I really did forget about this one over the Christmas holiday season as we had soooo many other outstanding brews. I was quite surprised/pleased to find this inventory remaining. Poured from a 330 ml bottle into an Gouden Carolus tulip. Purchased a 4 pack at Total Wine a couple years ago on a "closeout" for about $7, IIRC, with their buck off coupon. I like inexpensive, outstanding ales. Almost as much as I like expensive, outstanding ales . Brewed in August, 2015, it poured a clear medium brown with hints of ruby, the nose was dark brown sugar, dried fruits and dark rum. Six spices are mentioned and I'd guess ginger, cinnamon, coriander and licorice with no clue what the last 2 might be. Three hops mentioned but not named. Tastes like an expensive, high quality fruitcake, with nuts, spices, brown sugar and raisins with dates and figs on the top instead of a nasty, red maraschino cherry and a green pineapple chunk. And I like fruitcakes. I'll guess 30 IBUs on the Belgian strong ale (or is it a quadruple?) and the ABV is a dangerously easy sipping 10.5%.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 2nd, 2019, 4:59 pm

From 2/1/13:
devildeac wrote:
February 1st, 2013, 8:55 pm
Matilda (4/11 bottling)-Goose Island Brewing

Very interesting brew. This is a Belgian style pale ale and the caramel malts dominate and there are notes of apples and pears but the truly fascinating qualities and flavors of this creamy, cloudy yellow-orange beverage originate from the yeast. Initially, I thought typical Belgian and peppery, but, after several sips from a tulip glass, I thought this is a bit barnyard-type funky and reading the bottle confirms that this is a Brettanomyces yeast brewed ale. IBU a bit low for a pale ale at 32 and ABV a shade high at 7% but this would pair nicely with soft cheeses during your pre-dinner snacking, or with spicy dishes for your entree. I wanted to wait a year before drinking (they say it will develop up to 5 years in the bottle) but just couldn't resist sharing this bomber a month early with Lavabe last week when he visited. After all, he did send it down over Christmas to help cover the cost of his wife's room and board over the holidays

Matilda (2/12 bottling; 12 ounces)-from 6/19/12

Not many differences between the 2011 and 2012 brewings. The 2011 may have been a bit smoother after nearly a year of aging vs "only" 4 months for the 2012 issue. I traded one, drank one and have 2 remaining so I'll save one for next year and probably give one to my son a bit later this summer. Certainly worth the $9 for the 4 pack that I procured in April during our trip to Kentucky.

And, from tonight:

Matilda (2/12 bottling)-aged for nearly a year

Same bit of funk as last year's review but very, very smooth. Now, it tastes a bit more like stewed/spiced apples and pears. Enjoyed by itself from a tulip glass. I will make it a special point to visit the Liquor Barn in Lexington as we journey there in April on our way to see The Carmel (Indiana) Symphony perform Beethoven's Ninth. Going to need some extra space in the car...
From last PM:

Matilda (2016)-Goose Island (InBev) Brewing

Forgive me folks for I have InBev'ed again .

Wanted a "lighter" beer with Mrs. dd's (almost) famous chicken tortilla soup last PM and this one whispered to me from the bottom shelf of the single beer section at Food Lion last PM and for $8 plus tax, I couldn't resist half a bottle of this with dinner and finished the other half after an evening out. I liked the $9/4 pack price from several years ago even better .

Pretty much all the above comments still apply except last PM, I tasted a bit of sour (berries? cherries?) along with the "funk" from the Brettanomyces Bruxellensis yeast.
Bob Green
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by Bob Green » February 3rd, 2019, 12:21 pm

Super Bowl beer:
BlackButte_Porter.png