Ymm, Beer!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by devildeac » November 29th, 2018, 9:11 pm

Perpetual-Tröegs Independent Brewing

Trader #1 from August West from Saturday. Thanks!

This is quite the 12 pack that he purchased with 2 brews I've never had before (this one and a small batch cranberry porter I'll sip as a nightcap tonight) and the other 2 with significant gaps between my tastings.

This is one of their IPAs and a rather distinctive one, too. Poured a light yellow-gold with a creamy head. Mixed bouquet of citrus and tropical fruits when decanted and tastes of the expected grapefruit, orange and a bit of pine oil, but not unpleasant. There's a touch of honey sweetness (not added). I'd have never guessed 85 IBUs (). ABV was 7.5%, placing this solidly on the border between an IPA and a IIPA. This was quite palatable without a pairing a couple nights ago but would be happy with some curry or mildly spicy fare.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 29th, 2018, 9:19 pm

Troegenator-Troegs Independent Brewing

Trader #2. Thanks again to August West!

Probably one of my favorite doppelbocks.

Pour was a medium brown-amber with a small tan head. Smells like toasted bread and tastes like milk chocolate, light caramel, wheat toast, dried cherries and a drop or two of coffee. Minimal bitterness at 25 IBUs with the expected ABV at 8.2%. Their story:

"Monks had fasting figured out. No food? No problem. Just drink a Double Bock. Thick and chewy with intense notes of caramel, chocolate and dried stone fruit, ‘Nator (as we call him) serves as a tribute to this liquid bread style."

Ingredients:

Malt: Chocolate, Munich, Pilsner
Hops: German Northern Brewer, Magnum
Yeast: Lager
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 29th, 2018, 10:26 pm

Blizzard of Hops-Troegs Independent Brewing

Bottle #3 from Saturday from August West. Thank you! Again.

A rather fascinating winter IPA with a cloudy, lemon-colored pour with a small off-white head. This stuff smells like freshly squeezed lemon juice and tastes like candied grapefruit, dried fruitcake pineapple (I like fruitcake ) but not the nasty green stuff (), with slivers of lemon and orange rinds and a hint of resin. The explanation lies in the hop and grain varieties (pilsner=lemon-y; wheat=orange-y). IBUs (claimed) at 80 but drinks more like 50 with the ABV at 6.4%. Quite a nice style/effort/seasonal offering. Ingredients:

Malt: Pilsner, Unmalted Wheat, White Wheat
Hops: Centennial, Chinook, El Dorado
Dry Hops: Chinook, Galaxy
Yeast: Ale
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 30th, 2018, 10:47 pm

Stiff Arm (stamped on bottom of can: BASKETS 181108)-Land Grant Brewing Company

Previously reviewed as a draft taster. This is being posted between sips from a 12 ounce can drained semi-vigorously into a standard pint glass.

Poured a light bronze with a single finger head (not *that* finger ). This one is dank and grapefruity to start with and finishes with orange and grapefruit zest, a drop of caramel and a hint of pine oil. IBUs on the website at 50 but I wrote down 60 at the brewery last week from their draft list. No big deal. ABV is 6.4%. I'd like a shrimp curry with this, please. A solid offering in a very crowded field. Happy to keep 1 or 2 more from my 6er and trade/share the rest. August West already received one.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 30th, 2018, 11:20 pm

Cranberry Porter-Troegs Independent Brewing

Scratch Series #351

Their explanation:

"One of the many things we love about our Scratch Series is the opportunity it gives is to spotlight seasonal ingredients. Each fall, when farmers flood their bogs and harvest loads of deep red cranberries, our minds go right to Cranberry Porter. Chocolate malt and a smidgen of Special B caramel malt lay a roasty backbone, while cranberries add a pleasantly tart, fruity finish."

The players:

Malt: Chocolate, Crystal, Munich, Pilsner, Roasted Barley, Special B
Hops: Galena, Willamette
Yeast: House Ale

The credit for trader #4:

August West. Thanks!

The tasting:

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a standard pint glass last PM. Color was dark brown with a flash of ruby. Head was creamy and modest and light tan. Nose was milk chocolate, berries and a hint of coffee. Tastes were the same with very mild bitterness from the heavily roasted grains and not the hops (no IBUs quoted so I'll guess about 30). The finish was dry, a bit tart yet a bit sweet, too, and very berry. ABV was 6.8%, a bit high for a porter but not imperial stats. This was a gem of a beer and my favorite of the 4 traders even with the different IPA styles and the doppelbock previously reviewed.

I'd highly recommend this 12 pack if you can find one, keeping it all to yourself or for sharing and/or trading. Troegs makes very, very good beer.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 1st, 2018, 5:50 pm

Hi-Wire tastings from their official grand opening. First up:

Vintage Sour (draft)-Hi Wire Brewing (Durham)

Darn near a pint pour for a $5 token. Good pricing.

Pour was a cloudy, amber-orange with a moderate, foamy head. Sour stone fruits immediately from the top of the cup, followed by sour peaches, oranges and tangerines on the palate with a splash of black tea (added). Not Destihl tart but quite a pucker. Apparently a variation of their original peach sour, also on the tap list at 6.9% ABV. This one was 8.11% (Fenway-type scoreboard said 8%, tap sheet said 8.11%). I'll guess about 10 IBUs. Worth sampling in Durham or Asheville.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 1st, 2018, 5:54 pm

Gimme the Brut (draft)-Hi Wire Brewing (Durham)

Two large sips stolen from our older son-in-law's pint pour for $5.

This may be my first Brut IPA, and a IIPA at that! More of a variation of a NEIPA that a traditional IIPA. It was yellow and mildly hazy with a moderate head. Lots of pineapple, papaya with some stone fruits for aromas and the same on the palate with minimal bitterness (20 IBUs! WTH? In a DIPA?). Fairly dry finish as advertised. A champagne IIPA? Perhaps. Worth a search.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 1st, 2018, 6:07 pm

10W40 Stout (draft)-Hi Wire Brewing (Durham)

Another 2 large gulps stolen from older daughter's 10 ounce pour for $5 token, usually $7 for the same size.

Why hasn't some other brewery called one of their concoctions by this name?

Dark brown pour with a creamy, tan head. Gorgeous nose of chocolate, coffee and vanilla (all added). Mouthfeel a bit thin but wonderful flavors of all the aforementioned additives without barrel-aging. Pretty balanced flavors with a bit less vanilla and a bit more chocolate and java on the palate. A bit thin for the style but smooth mouthfeel, guessing there are oats in the grain bill. I'd expect 9-10% ABV or more for the price (it was 8% ABV) with the IBUs about 50 by WAG'ing. Good quality RIS overall.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 2nd, 2018, 9:47 pm

Couple more Hi Wire brews from yesterday:

Raspberry Wheat Wine (draft)-Hi Wire Brewing

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barley_wine#Wheat_wine

"A variation on the barley wine style involves adding a large quantity of wheat to the mash bill, resulting in what is referred to as wheat wine. This style originated in the United States in the 1980s."

I've had very few of these and would have trouble recalling what the names were and/or who brewed them. Hmm, might have to snoop around beeradvocate a bit .

This was also a few stolen gulps () from our older son-in-law's $5 token selection for about 10 ounces.

It appeared pinkish-amber with a small head. Aromas of berries and orange juice from the cup with vinous, orange juicy and berry flavors. The wheat imparts the orange flavors (generally) and they were pretty generous with their raspberry addition. I'll guess 20 IBUs so not bitter and more bitter like a barleywine. The ABV rolled in at 9%, the highest on their tap list. Made a nice pairing as I finished off my Cubano sammich from one of the food trucks.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 3rd, 2018, 10:35 pm

Neutron-Land Grand Brewing Company

Bought local, consumed at home.

Their explanation/tribute:

"Before there was even a term “super fans” there was a man that could make an entire stadium stand up and take notice with a goofy dance breakdown. Grab your cap and let the sounds of the band and the roar of the crowd guide your moves. Packed with Chinook, ID7, Citra, Mosaic, Zythos, and Amarillo hops this Double IPA packs a juicy hop punch and deserves a standing ovation. $1.00 from each six pack sold will go to benefit the Neutron Man Memorial Fund."

The story:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutron_Man

The beer:

Poured vigorously from a 12 ounce can into a pint glass, generating a generous, foamy head. Grapefruit rind and juicyfruit aromas. Strong grapefruity and tropical fruity tastes with light brown sugar and a bit of piney bitterness. I'd have never guessed 90 IBUs. The ABV is 8%. Both advanced stats make this high quality IIPA that I'd have again. The remainder of the 6er will be for sharing/trading. As usual, I'd pair with an entree with some heat. Ingredients:

HOPS: CHINOOK, ID7, CITRA, MOSAIC, ZYTHOS, AMARILLO
MALTS: SIMPSONS GOLDEN PROMISE, SIMPSONS CRYSTAL LIGHT

(caps copied and pasted-)
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 6th, 2018, 10:47 pm

Saxy Machismo (draft)-Haw River Farmhouse Ales

After the 2 prior reviews here by fuse and Tripping William that were quite opposing views, I decided to taste a 2 ounce sample tonight after a half pint of the next review and cast the tie-breaking vote. Here's how Bottle Revolution has been marketing this for the last week or two (it apparently ain't flying out of the tap handle):

"Put on your fireproof pants, folks—this one’s got muscle. A smoky, raisin-sweet Belgian-style Quad infused with locally-grown smoked tobago chili peppers, then aged in Four Roses bourbon whiskey barrels for 3 months. Warning: Allowing Saxy Machismo within proximity of your beard during imbibing could result in spontaneous awesomeness."

What'd I think? It was a medium to dark brown with a small, tan head. Typical Belgian quad style nose of dried fruits with initial tastes of the same followed by some dark caramel sauce, moderate booziness and a mild amount of heat which likely would have intensified if I had a half pint ($4.50) or a full pint ($9) and allowed it to warm up during 30 minutes of sipping. I'll guess IBUs about 30 and the ABV was 12.2%.

Final vote? Happy to have had two ounces to try, wouldn't have been upset to have sipped 8 ounces and probably would have tolerated it, wouldn't consider buying the full pint unless it was for sharing and I'm sure as hell not spending $15 for one of the 500 ml bottles they had on the shelf.

How's that for a bob and weave/shuck and jive answer?
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 6th, 2018, 10:47 pm

Dropout (undated can)-Land Grant Brewing Company

Poured from a 12 ounce can into a Founders snifter yielded a viscous, black elixir with a thick, foamy tan head about 2 fingers tall. Smelled like dark chocolate-covered bourbon balls. Mouthfeel was almost chewy and fudge-like but quite silky and smooth. Tasted like the aforementioned bourbon balls, topped with a coffee bean with a swirl of black strap molasses. Mild to moderate heavy-roasted grain bitterness. IBUs quoted at 52 and the ABV was 9.4% but really felt like another weight class. An outstanding BBA imperial stout for about $4/can. Ingredients:

HOPS: COLUMBUS, EAST KENT GOLDINGS, BRAMLING CROSS
MALTS: PALE ALE, BLACKPRINZ, COFFEE MALT, PALE CHOCOLATE, CHOCOLATE MALT, CARAMUNICH, MOLASSES

(caps not edited)
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 7th, 2018, 7:12 am

Doppelbock Christmas Bier-Farmbrew LLC (fka Weeping Radish; I think)

Product #1 from my December beer club 4 pack was a 16 ounce can. I've never like Weeping Radish, NC's original craft brewery, and this pint of mediocrity did basically nothing to sway that long-standing opinion.

Pour had the expected medium brown-ruby color but, even an aggressive dump of the first 12 ounces into a standard pint glass failed to yield more than a thin, short-lived head. Faint aromas of milk chocolate and cherries gave me a bit more hope but the rather thin body with marginal flavors of light caramel, toasted whole wheat bread and milk chocolate failed to provide the expected level of tastes from this style. There were hints of wet cardboard and an "off-taste" that sadly reminded me of their brews I'd tried 20-25 years ago when I first embarked on my craft beer journey. IBU quoted at 20.0 (yes, they used a decimal point ), about right for the style (lager) and ABV was 8.1%, enough to be a bit buzz-worthy, but overall, a somewhat disappointing offering. Not Ycch, Beer worthy, but perhaps giving consideration to starting a Meh, Beer thread .
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 8th, 2018, 8:05 am

Santa's Stash 2018 (draft)-Compass Rose Brewing

Hyper local (8 ounce pour sipped about 1.5 blocks from my office on Thursday night and brewed about 3 miles from our house)!

It's a bit embarrassing that this brewery has been open for about 3 years now and we've never visited.

Pour was almost black with a thin, tan head. Lot going on from this barrel-aged imperial stout which was cacao-infused and then loaded up with pureed cherries from a Virginia orchard. Aromas are mostly dark chocolate and a whiff of coffee (not added). Mouthfeel is moderately viscous and smooth. Does anyone make a chocolate cherry jam because that's surely (don't call me that ) what this tastes like with a warming, bourbon-y chaser. Toss in some other dark, dried fruity flavors and your decadent dessert is complete. Another nice comparison would be a whiskey-infused Black Forest cake. Ymm, Beer indeed.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 8th, 2018, 9:07 am

People's BBL Aged Porter-Foothills Brewing Company

Drink local!

Second of triplet bombers that cost me a 4 pack of Raspberry Tart this tailgate season. A fine trade for both parties, AFAIK.

I'm not sure I've ever had a better food-beer pairing than last night's dinner with our son and his wife. They (well, Ray Ray's food truck) provided the pulled pork, smoked brisket, slaw, cheesy potatoes and specialty baked beans and I provided the 2 beers. This one poured a dark brown with a moderate, foamy, mocha head. Smells like a porter should with chocolate, caramel and coffee and tastes like one, too, with the flavors matching the scents with booze as a strong front man and on the back end. Roasty bitterness with IBUs of 38 and a standard porter ABV at 5.8%. A perfect match-up with the smokiness of the meats, some mayo and vinegar in the slaw and the other sides. More Ymm, Beer.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 8th, 2018, 10:48 pm

Ellie Swan (about 2016, maybe older)-A homebrew given to our son and "cellared" for a couple years

Twelve ounce bottle served as an appetizer this evening.

It was a chocolate pomegranate Baltic porter. WTH?

Pour was a dark brown with hints of ruby and a thin, tan head. Nose of chocolate and berries. Tasted like dark chocolate-covered mixed berry and grapefruit slices with a splash of coffee. Quite a smooth mouthfeel without the harshness Baltic porters can have. I'll WAG the IBUs are 40 and the label on the bottle (yes, a homebrew with a label that was a tribute to the brewer's mother, Ellie Swan) stated the ABV was 6%. This is likely the last of the species as the brewer's plans with a buddy to start their own brewery never materialized. I'm honored to have tasted half a bottle of this.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 8th, 2018, 10:56 pm

From 12/23/17:
devildeac wrote:To aid in Tripping William's weekend purchases:

The Abyss (12/9/16 bottling) Scotch Barrel Variant-Deschutes Brewing Company

This is a big beer. A very big beer.

Devildeac II (aka our son) helped me knock out a bomber of this last PM as a night cap. Took us about 45 minutes.

Pour was almost inky black with a thin, mocha head. Nose was thick with dark chocolate, wood, booze and hints of licorice. Mouthfeel was thick. Not quite Ten Fidy thick, but close. Semi-sweet chocolate up first, then slightly burnt dark caramel, followed by dried cherries and other dark fruits, a bit of coffee and vanilla with mild, lingering, but not unpleasant tastes of licorice and closing with the expected warming, boozy finish. I'll guess IBUs of 60 as it's an imperial stout and the ABV is 12.3% and that stat was not hiding from anyone. We had some gifted, home-baked chocolate chip cookies and Cadbury chocolate eggs with the elixir but this concoction would survive well on its own. I think no licorice would make this a "better" product but no one contacted me about that factor either .
From last PM:

The Abyss Scotch Barrel Variant (bottled on 12/09/16)-Deschutes Brewing Company

What's different a year later? Well, there's less licorice, more molasses and more Scotch and a smoother mouthfeel than almost 12 months ago. Served with a generous slice of gold 3 layer cake with a thick, gooey milk chocolate fudge-y filling and icing from Delicious Bakery in Greensboro. Outstanding combination. I have 2 bottles left and it's looking like one for 2019 and the last one in 2020 if the current pattern continues .
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 9th, 2018, 2:10 pm

Polyflora-(collaboration) Central State Brewing (IN) and Brewery Bhavana (NC)

"Best sour I've ever had."

-devildeac II

I'm not sure I could name my favorite sour but this was outstanding. Huge thanks to fuse for trading a few weeks ago!

Poured from a 500 ml bottle into a couple snifters last PM with dinner, a bowl of homemade chicken tortilla sour. Color was pinkish-yellow and a bit cloudy with a thin, fizzy head. Gorgeous nose of lemon-lime and pink zinfandel (red and white wine barred-aged for 9 months). Mild lemon-limeade pucker to start, smoothing to very vinous notes mid-palate with a dry, slightly sweet finish from the NC wildflower honey and Indiana malts. I'll guess IBUs about 20 (sour, not really bitter) and the ABV was 6.4%. Good pairing with the soup but thinking this might be a good choice with Italian pasta dishes.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 9th, 2018, 6:06 pm

Strawberry Milkshake IPA-Gizmo Brew Works

Prototype Series

There was not much info on the label except they brew a buncha one-off/experimental stuff. This is the 4th Gizmo milk shake I've had, the prior three were a snifter of Pink Guava (no clever name) and cans of Damn Right, their pineapple version, and Better than Yours, a raspberry riff. This bomber, shared last night after dinner with our son, did not disappoint. Poured into snifters with a hazy, pink-yellow foamy head, it looked and smelled like strawberry-pineapple juice. Does Dole/Tropicana make one of those ? Tastes were initially pineapple-y with a serious take-over of berries accompanying juicy pulp and some milky sweetness. The label didn't state lactose and vanilla, but they'd both make sense here with the milkshake designation. I'll guess IBUs around 40 and the ABV that was Sharpied on the bottle was 8.3%, making this an imperial milkshake IPA . This was fine as a stand-alone but might be interesting with a slice of pineapple upside-down cake or strawberry shortcake, or, maybe even a DBR winner's fruit pie .
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 9th, 2018, 8:14 pm

Celebration-Sierra Nevada Brewing

Fresh hop ale

There's a reason I hadn't bought this in a decade or more and that reason is too bitter so I was a bit disconcerted finding a 12 ounce bottle in my December beer club 4 pack and decided to share with our son at dinner tonight and we both found it a nice pairing with broiled salmon, roasted brussel sprouts with bacon and whipped potatoes. Pour was bronze with a frothy head. Somewhat dank, piney aromas matched by oily, piney and resin-y tastes with a modest butterscotch-toffee backbone. IBUs of 65 and ABV at 6.8% so it was a reasonably balanced IPA. I wouldn't buy a 6er of this but it was a pleasant surprise after many years away from my pint glass. Ingredients:

YEAST Ale yeast
BITTERING HOPS Chinook, Centennial
FINISHING HOPS Cascade, Centennial
MALTS Two-row Pale, Caramel