LTE 2.0

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by Lavabe » August 15th, 2009, 10:35 am

YmoBeThere wrote:I was asked by a friend last night where I would live if I could only pick one place. I wasn't too specific about my answer to her, other than to say that North Carolina is the only place that feels like home. So, with that as the criteria would you say that St. Louis would be home or Atlanta? Or somewhere else?
Unfair question, having just returned from Madagascar... and I am going to a 30yr high school reunion this fall.

In the US, I've lived in:
Northern New Jersey 18 years
Durham 5 years
St. Louis 13 years (although nearly 3 years were spent in Madagascar)
Atlanta 11 years
Kentucky 1 year

I need time to let the memories age from Atlanta. And we simply have had too little time in Kentucky. To me right now, it's a toss-up between St. Louis and Madagascar. I bet my wife is torn among North Carolina, St. Louis, and Atlanta. My daughter? Probably Atlanta.

What's weird to me is that in each place I have lived, I can recall vividly toeholds, footprints, and a variety of scents, sounds, and sites that get stored in my memory. When I revisit the place, that part of the brain goes back into active memory, and then memories come back in waves. In Madagascar, it's seeing the southern cross from my tent, or tasting a mango or papaya, or listening to the water rush by my campsite, or smelling the vegetation after a fresh treefall.
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » August 15th, 2009, 10:36 am

TillyGalore wrote:
DukeUsul wrote:And the winner is Ymo. Winner winner, chicken dinner.
Congrats Ymo!!!!

:ymparty: :ymparty: :ymparty: :ymparty: :ymparty: :ymparty: :ymparty: :ymparty: :ymparty:
And don't forget to get a lottery ticket or two. Today is your lucky day! :-bd
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 15th, 2009, 10:51 am

Lavabe wrote:In Madagascar, it's seeing the southern cross from my tent, or tasting a mango or papaya, or listening to the water rush by my campsite, or smelling the vegetation after a fresh treefall.
And once again, you offer us a beautiful, simply poetic sentence. Thanks for that.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 15th, 2009, 10:54 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
wilson wrote:I've passed CB&B. To paraphrase Clark W. Griswold, "I'm burning dust here. Eat my rubber!"
I have happily regulated myself to occasional posting. It means I get to get away from the computer more often. :p
To be fair, I've been away from the computer for a couple of significant chunks of time recently, too. And starting about an hour from now, I'll be away from the boards for the rest of today and most of tomorrow. You'll have an easy chance to pass me again if you so desire.
Bostondevil
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Bostondevil » August 15th, 2009, 11:15 am

wilson wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:...Creve Coeur...
True story: "Creve Coeur" translates to "Burst Heart." That city name has always weirded me out.
Heidelberg translates to Blueberry Hill, that doesn't weird me out. I like it. But I've never been to Heidelberg.
The time is out of joint, O cursed spite!
Bostondevil

Post by Bostondevil » August 15th, 2009, 11:16 am

I behind reading the thread and I'm getting ready to go away for 5 days. I've read every one of the 12,700+ posts of the original LTE. I can't promise I'll be able to do the same with this one.
Bostondevil

Post by Bostondevil » August 15th, 2009, 11:18 am

I just had a great idea for wilson's scarf, I can't wait to start knitting it. Except I am making myself finish the other 4 scarves I've promised to people first. Incentive to knit faster. (I've got two kids sweaters and a baby gift going too. I'm very good at starting things. I'm getting better at finishing them.)
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 15th, 2009, 11:24 am

Bostondevil wrote:I just had a great idea for wilson's scarf, I can't wait to start knitting it. Except I am making myself finish the other 4 scarves I've promised to people first. Incentive to knit faster. (I've got two kids sweaters and a baby gift going too. I'm very good at starting things. I'm getting better at finishing them.)
:D :D :D
Ooh, this excites me! And I know it will still be a while, which is totally cool. But as I said, I do wear scarves a lot in the winter, and I like the way they go with my very quintessential professor's wardrobe.
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » August 15th, 2009, 11:34 am

Lavabe wrote:In the US, I've lived in:
Northern New Jersey 18 years
Durham 5 years
St. Louis 13 years (although nearly 3 years were spent in Madagascar)
Atlanta 11 years
Kentucky 1 year
My years on the planet have had much greater dispersion in location, I haven't been anywhere for more than 5 years straight.
  • Hawaii < 1 year
    San Antonio, Texas 2 years
    Alexandria, VA 2 years
    Fort Leavenworth, KS 1 year
    Ludwigsburg, Germany 3 years
    Fort Devens, MA 1 year
    Carlisle, PA 1 year
    Fort Knox, KY 2 years
    Scottsdale, AZ 4 years
    *Duke undergrad
    Woodland Hills, CA 4 years
    Augusta, GA 1 year
    *wandered around the US for several months homeless(stayed with friends)
    Bellevue, WA/Woodland Hills, CA 1 year
    Charlotte, NC 5 years
    Hendersonville/Nashville, TN 4 years
    *2 years for B-school in among those 4 which included a 5 month stint in Porto Alegre, Brazil
    Jamestown/Greensboro, NC 4 years
    Danvers/Boston, MA 2 years
I still remember the vacant lot behind our house in Alexandria, VA. And I feel like I'm missing somewhere in between Hawaii and San Antonio. Undergrad coincided with Scottsdale/LA.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 15th, 2009, 12:02 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:
Lavabe wrote:
devildeac wrote:Somebody's gotta wake up BONES so we can see a magnificent race to #1000...
(-| (-| (-|
Well, first I draft off of Ymo (while he was asleep), and THEN I draft off devildeac. :))

If Bones wakes up, I may draft off of him as well! :o)
We're posting at such a mad rate on this thread that I've actually had TWO posts come up while I'm writing a reply. That's just crazy!
I have had that happen a time or three also. :roll: :oops:
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » August 15th, 2009, 12:04 pm

It is like that some days.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 15th, 2009, 12:04 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:
Lavabe wrote: Oh yeah... and I have two conferences and a high school reunion to attend this fall.
Sounds like you have a busy fall ahead of you. Two conferences and a high school reunion ... wow!
that's why he is catching up on all his PWing now... :oops: :roll: :)) =))
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » August 15th, 2009, 12:05 pm

devildeac wrote:Maybe I could string together 40-50 consecutive posts now that no one is watching except DukeUsul... :oops: :roll:
Hey, I'm watching!
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » August 15th, 2009, 12:06 pm

My effin neck is hurting. I think it's a combination of how I slept, and posting this morning. Had the computer on the coffee table when I should have had it in my lap. Took a muscle relaxer and am hoping I'll be feeling better later.
I worship the Blue Devil!
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 15th, 2009, 12:07 pm

wilson wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote:
devildeac wrote:Nah, I got a buncha work to do tomorrow AM and I just started reading Shogun...
Never read it but my parents always said it was great...and there it sat on the shelf after the proclomation of greatness. Probably got sold with the house and the spider that guarded it. But if it's actually good, I'll get sweetie pie to read it and she can then tell me the story.
It is indeed great. I read it in college and loved it. Took me several weeks amid school assignments, but I'd like to get around to more of Clavell's work someday... :roll:
Tai-Pan was outstanding. I started Noble House but put it down in favor of Shogun. The two volumes are going to take a while. Quite a while. Then I'll go back to Noble House and King Rat.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » August 15th, 2009, 12:07 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:I have a busy day today. My cousin is stopping in on her way through town, which means lots of house cleaning is in order. I've already started the laundry.
Have fun with your cousin!
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » August 15th, 2009, 12:08 pm

My neck hurts every once in a while. But I do have a long neck. I had to switch to the thinnest of pillows a few years back because of it.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 15th, 2009, 12:08 pm

YmoBeThere wrote:I've admitted defeat already.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » August 15th, 2009, 12:08 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:Also, I'm taking the Nikon D90 class at Creve Coeur Camera this morning.
You MUST post pics!

~ James Naismith
Bostondevil

Post by Bostondevil » August 15th, 2009, 12:09 pm

YmoBeThere wrote:Took a brief break and went over yonder.

How do you say that? Woooo-burn. Glauster, it's been a few months since I've been up there. I've been to Woodman's in Essex a few times.
My latest dream is to move to either Essex or Manchester-By-The-Sea once I get 2-3 kids through high school. I was up at Crane's Beach week before last.

Right now, I'm just waiting on my husband so we can go mini-golfing in Middleton. Golf Country, here we come!