2009 NFL Thread

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Miles
PWing School Associate Professor

Re: 2009 NFL Thread

Post by Miles » October 11th, 2009, 6:22 pm

rockymtn devil wrote:Of course, none of that justifies giving him a new contract before the season began.
I couldn't agree more.
sMiles
Miles

Today's Fair Catch Call Against the Redskins

Post by Miles » October 11th, 2009, 7:09 pm

I was a little irked by the fair catch play in the Redskins - Panthers game. I understand the calling on the field but feel that it was incorrectly applied in this situation. The NFL Rules Digest states:
No opponent may interfere with the fair catcher, the ball, or his path to the ball. Penalty: 15 yards from spot of foul and fair catch is awarded.
What bothers me about this series is that there was fair catch interference BEFORE the ball made contact with a member of the receiving team. One must agree: if the ball hadn't hit the Redskins player, the referees should have called fair-catch interference. If that is the case, then the contact by the receiving team is non-issue.

I feel like this was a bad call, one that eventually led to the Panthers go-ahead touchdown.
sMiles
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 11th, 2009, 7:29 pm

Miles wrote:
rockymtn devil wrote:Of course, none of that justifies giving him a new contract before the season began.
I couldn't agree more.
Ditto. They won today, but he still sucks. He can generate an amazing turn around this year and lead them back to the playoffs, but I will never be a fan. I just hate his attitude when the team is down, and because of his errors. All QB's have bad days, but when he does he blames everyone but himself. It's a disgusting display to watch on tv. I'm eagerly awaiting the Panthers' next QB. (Thad will be looking for a job soon! :D )
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
Miles

Post by Miles » October 11th, 2009, 10:03 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
Miles wrote:
I couldn't agree more.
Ditto. They won today, but he still sucks. He can generate an amazing turn around this year and lead them back to the playoffs, but I will never be a fan. I just hate his attitude when the team is down, and because of his errors. All QB's have bad days, but when he does he blames everyone but himself. It's a disgusting display to watch on tv. I'm eagerly awaiting the Panthers' next QB. (Thad will be looking for a job soon! :D )
I've never heard Delhomme blame everyone for his mistakes. I have seen him, along with all other quarterbacks, show frustration when things aren't going his way. It's easy to get upset with the QB, but I just can't get on the hatewagon. I don't love the guy either, I just think the game is way more complex than what some of the anti-Delhomme posts portray.
sMiles
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » October 11th, 2009, 10:42 pm

rockymtn devil wrote:
wilson wrote:Disagree, strongly. Jake Delhomme has never been that special as a QB. The only thing that ever got the Panthers close to Super Bowl caliber was several years of superlative defense.
The guy did go 16 of 33 for 323 yards, 3 TDs and no INTs in the Super Bowl. The Panthers did not lose that game because of Jake Delhomme. They lost because their defense couldn't stop the Patriots. So...but for the "superlative defense", there would be a Lombardi Trophy in Charlotte, and Delhomme would probably be the owner of a Super Bowl MVP award.

Of course, none of that justifies giving him a new contract before the season began.
It would also have helped the Panthers if Jon Kasay hadn't pushed that kickoff out of bounds with about two minutes left in the Super Bowl.
And both of your points are well taken; Delhomme has been a serviceable quarterback, but the Panthers have been kidding themselves trying to think there's ever been a franchise guy under center there. I also maintain that the Delhomme extension was an abysmal decision, and that the front office's total inactivity with regard to any backup/successor to Delhomme has set the franchise severely back for at least a couple of seasons, barring a lightning in the bottle via free agency type of situation.
And this is all to say nothing of the not-so-well-kept-anymore secret that the D has gotten old, and Julius Peppers just flat doesn't give a shit anymore (to the tune of $18 million per...yikes).
I would not be excited to be a Panthers fan right now.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » October 11th, 2009, 10:45 pm

I highly doubt if Duke and the Falcons have ever before won football games by a combined 56 points in a single weekend.
Miles

Post by Miles » October 12th, 2009, 11:12 am

More on the Quinton Teal shove.
Wow. So you're allowed to intentionally block an engaged player into his teammate, but you're not allowed to block stationary or nonengaged players into their teammates when they've called for fair catch.

That is completely ridiculous.
First, can someone please identify one stationary player during a punt return?

Second, and most importantly, the interpretation of this rule completely contradicts the spirit of the fair catch. The fair catch was intended to protect vulnerable players. It allows them to make a reasonable play on the ball without taking a shot in the blind. It's a good rule as it fairly rewards the kicking team for aggressive play; make a good kick and get downfield and the other guy can't advance the ball. It also protects players in a vulnerable position.

Quinton Teal intentionally shoved an opposing player into his teammate. Read that correctly, he intentionally disrupted the fair-catch of a vulnerable player. This is no different than running into a fair-catch caller. Ask yourself, what would've happen if Quinton Teal shoved a Panther into the fair-catch caller? What is the difference?

I bet if quarterbacks were forced to return punts, they would be more consistent in approaching this rule.
sMiles
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » October 12th, 2009, 12:19 pm

Miles wrote:More on the Quinton Teal shove.
Wow. So you're allowed to intentionally block an engaged player into his teammate, but you're not allowed to block stationary or nonengaged players into their teammates when they've called for fair catch.

Second, and most importantly, the interpretation of this rule completely contradicts the spirit of the fair catch. The fair catch was intended to protect vulnerable players. It allows them to make a reasonable play on the ball without taking a shot in the blind. It's a good rule as it fairly rewards the kicking team for aggressive play; make a good kick and get downfield and the other guy can't advance the ball. It also protects players in a vulnerable position.

Quinton Teal intentionally shoved an opposing player into his teammate. Read that correctly, he intentionally disrupted the fair-catch of a vulnerable player. This is no different than running into a fair-catch caller. Ask yourself, what would've happen if Quinton Teal shoved a Panther into the fair-catch caller? What is the difference?

I bet if quarterbacks were forced to return punts, they would be more consistent in approaching this rule.
I think they would have had a better argument for defensive holding. If you watch the replay, he had a handful of jersey on the outside of the shoulder pads with BOTH hands, using them to lift him and throw him into Randle El. 34 should have known better and gotten out of the way. It's more his fault than anyone's. I was mostly angry at the coaching staff for wasting the challenge and the last timeout. His coaches in the booth should have saved him that timeout.

I'm more upset over the Devon Thomas play. That was a long pass opportunity, and the cornerback CLEARLY had a big fat fistful of jersey. That was blatant pass interference, and would have put the Redskins in great position to score.

I was also kind of surprised that Zorn didn't go for it on the 4th down with about 5:00 to go. He didn't have any timeouts, and he's always going for it on 4th anyway. I was hollering at the TV for him to go for it.

Finally, I'm really ticked at DeAngelo Hall for the last play by Carolina. Not only did he COMPLETELY fail to keep contain as the last man on the line (that should have been a five yard loss dammit!), but then he allowed an old, slow, white QB to juke him and then drag him eight yards for the 1st down. That was truly pathetic.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
Miles

Post by Miles » October 12th, 2009, 12:23 pm

bjornolf wrote:
Miles wrote:More on the Quinton Teal shove.

I think they would have had a better argument for defensive holding. If you watch the replay, he had a handful of jersey on the outside of the shoulder pads with BOTH hands, using them to lift him and throw him into Randle El. 34 should have known better and gotten out of the way. It's more his fault than anyone's. I was mostly angry at the coaching staff for wasting the challenge and the last timeout. His coaches in the booth should have saved him that timeout.

I'm more upset over the Devon Thomas play. That was a long pass opportunity, and the cornerback CLEARLY had a big fat fistful of jersey. That was blatant pass interference, and would have put the Redskins in great position to score.

I was also kind of surprised that Zorn didn't go for it on the 4th down with about 5:00 to go. He didn't have any timeouts, and he's always going for it on 4th anyway. I was hollering at the TV for him to go for it.

Finally, I'm really ticked at DeAngelo Hall for the last play by Carolina. Not only did he COMPLETELY fail to keep contain as the last man on the line (that should have been a five yard loss dammit!), but then he allowed an old, slow, white QB to juke him and then drag him eight yards for the 1st down. That was truly pathetic.

%%-
Your post-game analysis is spot-on. I'm more concerned with NFL officiating right now. I just can't let myself get involved with the Redskins on that level. I loathe Dan Synder and I hate what the Skins have become. I need a time machine.
sMiles
Ben63
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by Ben63 » October 12th, 2009, 1:53 pm

Anyone have any idea what is going on with my Titans? I'm out of answers...

"With the 1st pick in the 2010 NFL Draft, the Tennessee Titans select Sam Bradford, quarterback, Oklahoma."

I would love to hear that sentence in April.
rockymtn devil

Post by rockymtn devil » October 13th, 2009, 9:30 am

Ben63 wrote:Anyone have any idea what is going on with my Titans? I'm out of answers...

"With the 1st pick in the 2010 NFL Draft, the Tennessee Titans select Sam Bradford, quarterback, Oklahoma."

I think the expectations for the Titans were a bit hight. Yes, they went 13-3 last season, but, with Kerry Collins at QB, that was a lot of smoke and mirrors, and it showed in the playoffs. They were a run heavy team with a good defense, which, if you can pull it off, is usually a recipe for success.

This season, the defensive line is not nearly as dominant. As a result, the highly suspect secondary is getting shredded (often by good QBs, but also by guys like David Garrard). The amount of points the defense is giving up is putting the offense in an impossible situation. They were never a good passing team, but when you're losing, you have to throw to catch up. Collins isn't capable of winning games with his arm--he wasn't at 25, and he certainly isn't now.

But, the Titans could be a dominant pass rusher away from the playoffs. My guess is that they re-tool on that side of the ball and not with a QB.
:ymbilly: vs. :ymhiro: Ken vs. Ryu. Classic.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » October 13th, 2009, 9:32 am

rockymtn devil wrote:Collins isn't capable of winning games with his arm--he wasn't at 25, and he certainly isn't now.
If you ever want to actually see smoke come out of someone's ears, ask a Panthers fan about Kerry Collins.
Ben63

Post by Ben63 » October 13th, 2009, 12:08 pm

rockymtn devil wrote:
Ben63 wrote:Anyone have any idea what is going on with my Titans? I'm out of answers...

I think the expectations for the Titans were a bit hight. Yes, they went 13-3 last season, but, with Kerry Collins at QB, that was a lot of smoke and mirrors, and it showed in the playoffs. They were a run heavy team with a good defense, which, if you can pull it off, is usually a recipe for success.

This season, the defensive line is not nearly as dominant. As a result, the highly suspect secondary is getting shredded (often by good QBs, but also by guys like David Garrard). The amount of points the defense is giving up is putting the offense in an impossible situation. They were never a good passing team, but when you're losing, you have to throw to catch up. Collins isn't capable of winning games with his arm--he wasn't at 25, and he certainly isn't now.

But, the Titans could be a dominant pass rusher away from the playoffs. My guess is that they re-tool on that side of the ball and not with a QB.
Collins was a fluke last year. He was just too good. He couldn't possibly reproduce last season. The biggest thing in my opinion is losing Haynesworth. I knew it would hurt but it affects the whole defense. He drew double and even triple teams freeing up the outside rushers to get to the quarterback. This year Vanden Bosch and Kearse aren't getting there. The injuries in the secondary aren't helping either.

I knew we weren't going to go 13-3 again but I still expected we'd be good enough to make the playoffs again. But definitely didn't see 0-5 coming. Not sure anyone did though...
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 13th, 2009, 12:34 pm

wilson wrote:If you ever want to actually see smoke come out of someone's ears, ask a Panthers fan about Kerry Collins.
Fukn quitter.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
Miles

Post by Miles » October 13th, 2009, 3:25 pm

Well, Seau is back with New England.
Their defense was hit hard by retirements and trades, but I didn't think they were suffering that bad.
sMiles
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » October 14th, 2009, 4:12 pm

Any Michael/Mike Vick sightings in Philly? #-o
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » October 14th, 2009, 4:36 pm

Lavabe wrote:Any Michael/Mike Vick sightings in Philly? #-o
He hasn't accomplished much so far.
1 of 5 passing for 1 yard (seriously) and 5 carries for 17 yards and one first down.
cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by cl15876 » October 14th, 2009, 7:31 pm

wilson wrote:
Lavabe wrote:Any Michael/Mike Vick sightings in Philly? #-o
He hasn't accomplished much so far.
1 of 5 passing for 1 yard (seriously) and 5 carries for 17 yards and one first down.
OUCH, saw that game, McNABBBBB is the MAN!!!! :-bd :-$ :-$ :-$ :-$ I wouldn't want to PISS any Phili fans off!!!! :)) :)) :))
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » October 17th, 2009, 11:32 am

I got invited to tomorrow night's Falcons-Bears game. Downstairs, 20th row, free ticket.
That'll work.
DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor
PWing School Assistant Professor

Post by DukeUsul » October 18th, 2009, 10:07 am

ESPN FFL in this week's matchup preview, thinks that my opponent has an advantage over me with Jake Delhomme to my Drew Brees..... Ha ha ha ha ha ha :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =))
-- DukeUsul