Foods I don't understand

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Re: Foods I don't understand

Post by bjornolf » September 3rd, 2009, 2:05 pm

Yea, gator's not bad. Haven't had croc though. I definitely liked rattle snake. Some crickets and ants are pretty good when chocolate covered. Ostrich isn't bad, but I'm not a big fan. The bison I've had was a little gamy, I'll stick to cow there. Venison's not bad if made right.

I LOVE roasted pumpkin seeds. So do my kids. We make them around Halloween every year. I also like sunflower seeds and corn nuts. And biscotti rocks in my book, at least the almond ones with chocolate on them.

Not a BIG brussels sprout fan, but I can choke them down if I have to. I also am not a big fan of avocado outside of guacamole. One thing I CAN NOT eat is asparagus. That was the one veggie I just would not eat as a kid. The fibres always choked me going down. I actually gagged on them once, then my parents thought I was faking and made me eat the part I spit up. That was pretty much the end of asparagus for me. :ymsick:

Not a fan of tripe. I can choke it down if I have to, but I'd rather not. Not a caviar fan, either. I get that it's a delicacy, but to me, it's just slimy fish eggs. Pickled eggs are edible, but barely, as are the odd pig parts. Also not a fan of paté.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » September 3rd, 2009, 2:13 pm

I can only speak to the Turkey part of the question - wild turky has less fat and the meat is denser and tougher than domestic. It is also darker. This I would guess is a function of diet and excercise! I find 'regular' turkey to be a little bland as food goes - the wild kind has a sharper taste I guess the flavor is similar but more intense. I would think cooking wild turkey would be a little more difficult than domestic - it would dry out very easily since the fat content is low.

I love gator. Might have to hit Cajun Cafe on the lake this weekend and get some gator.....
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » September 3rd, 2009, 2:15 pm

bjornolf - that would pretty much kill asparagus for me too....eeeewwww. :ymsick: :ymsick: x_x
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » September 3rd, 2009, 2:23 pm

DukeUsul wrote:
Lavabe wrote:Do the anti-meatloafers dislike meatballs as well? :ymbringiton:

And please... let's not get into that discussion about meatballs in grape sauce. ;)
I've never had meatloaf that tastes like meatballs. If I had, I'd like it.
I think that's why DD, ILJ, and LegacyLady like my meatloaf. I don't do the onion/pepper-chunked wet meat loaf. Mine's definitely a drier, un-chunked meat loaf. I also avoid the swimming-in-sauce routine.

In fact, ILJ often cuts up the leftover meatloaf and puts it into the pasta sauce.
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » September 3rd, 2009, 2:25 pm

devildeac wrote:
Lavabe wrote:Biscotti.
Good stuff. Don't like the anise flavor but gimme a good nutty biscotti, with or without chocolate, Ymm.
Okay... I stand corrected. It's that stupid ANISE-flavored stuff that I just don't understand. I can take chocolate or hazlenut anything (well, practically). But ANISE-flavored hard/dried dessert? Not I!!
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » September 3rd, 2009, 2:27 pm

wilson wrote:
knights68 wrote:
wilson wrote: Exotic foods I've had:

-alligator: good
-crocodile: rather chewy and not as good as gator
ok ok, I gotta ask. Do they taste differently? Does gator tastes differently, greatly or subtle, from Croc??
Yes, they taste different. Gator tastes different from croc. It has more flavor and is more tender in my assessment.
I believe their neurology is very similar, so they should taste similarly. ;)
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » September 3rd, 2009, 2:46 pm

I only know the liquid variety of Wild Turkey. It gets 2 thumbs up from me. :-bd
Life is good!
DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor

Post by DukeUsul » September 3rd, 2009, 2:51 pm

Oh snap!!! :o :o :o :o I do like a meatloaf! The discussion of bison reminded me. Ted's Steakhouse's bison meatloaf is actually rather good.
-- DukeUsul
DukeUsul

Post by DukeUsul » September 3rd, 2009, 2:53 pm

Lavabe wrote:
devildeac wrote:
Lavabe wrote:Biscotti.
Good stuff. Don't like the anise flavor but gimme a good nutty biscotti, with or without chocolate, Ymm.
Okay... I stand corrected. It's that stupid ANISE-flavored stuff that I just don't understand. I can take chocolate or hazlenut anything (well, practically). But ANISE-flavored hard/dried dessert? Not I!!
So you're not into pizzelles? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pizzelle

I LOVE anise flavored anything. I'm the guy everyone gives their black jelly beans to. And I love black coffee with a bit of sambuca in it.
-- DukeUsul
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » September 3rd, 2009, 2:55 pm

DukeUsul wrote:I LOVE anise flavored anything. I'm the guy everyone gives their black jelly beans to. And I love black coffee with a bit of sambuca in it.
You can have mine, too. I think licorice is foul.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 3rd, 2009, 2:58 pm

Lavabe wrote:Pork rinds.
Every now and then for some unknown reason I'll try and give pork rinds another shot. And every time I regret it.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » September 3rd, 2009, 3:48 pm

DukeUsul wrote:So you're not into pizzelles? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pizzelle

I LOVE anise flavored anything. I'm the guy everyone gives their black jelly beans to. And I love black coffee with a bit of sambuca in it.
I <3 vanilla flavored pizzelles. I'll eat anise flavored pizzelles and biscotti, but vanilla or chocolate is preferable.
I worship the Blue Devil!
weezie
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by weezie » September 3rd, 2009, 5:21 pm

windsor wrote:bjornolf - that would pretty much kill asparagus for me too....eeeewwww. :ymsick: :ymsick: x_x
Oh ugh......I still have a gag reflex from childhood when I was confronted with a plate of canned asparagus. Simply disgusting. I would give up state secrets if I was threatened with canned asparagus. :-s
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » September 3rd, 2009, 6:20 pm

DukeUsul wrote: I LOVE anise flavored anything. I'm the guy everyone gives their black jelly beans to. And I love black coffee with a bit of sambuca in it.
I wouldn't go ANYTHING. I don't know if I'd like anise biscotti. However, I do like black licorice twizzlers, jelly beans, and I could go for some Good & Plentys any day. ;) I think its genetic. My mother loves it.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » September 3rd, 2009, 6:38 pm

My wife said her foods that she just didn't get were things that were on the menu of the truck stop she worked at. One was pork brains mixed with scrambled eggs, and the other was scrapple.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » September 3rd, 2009, 7:17 pm

bjornolf wrote:My wife said her foods that she just didn't get were things that were on the menu of the truck stop she worked at. One was pork brains mixed with scrambled eggs, and the other was scrapple.

%%-
Scrabble... I get.
Snapple... I get.
Scrapple... I don't get.

I agree with your wife.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » September 3rd, 2009, 8:29 pm

Raw tomatoes :ymsick:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
DukeUsul

Post by DukeUsul » September 3rd, 2009, 10:04 pm

CathyCA wrote:Raw tomatoes :ymsick:
Agreed. My wife brought home some Sun Gold cherry tomatoes from the Carrboro farmer's market. "Oh try them, they're so super sweet you HAVE to like these ones." Barf, spat them out in the sink. Still tasted like dirt.

And my daughter is awesome, if I haven't said that already. Wife gave her her first piece of tomato the other day, she spit it out and started bawling at the top of her lungs. That's my girl!!!
-- DukeUsul
DukePA
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by DukePA » September 3rd, 2009, 10:19 pm

DukeUsul wrote:
Agreed. My wife brought home some Sun Gold cherry tomatoes from the Carrboro farmer's market. "Oh try them, they're so super sweet you HAVE to like these ones." Barf, spat them out in the sink. Still tasted like dirt.

And my daughter is awesome, if I haven't said that already. Wife gave her her first piece of tomato the other day, she spit it out and started bawling at the top of her lungs. That's my girl!!!
I'm with you guys on this. Raw tomatoes look fabulous, but I just don't like them. They must be processed or cooked in some way. I'll try one every 5 years or so, but I never like them. I remember watching everyone eat tomato sandwiches as a kid and they looked to die for, but still, no dice for me. I'm going to tell on myself. I was still in the Navy, pregnant, and living in Great Lakes, Illinois. My ex and I went out for dinner and I ordered a club sandwich and said, "no tomatoes" and emphasized this several times. Then the waitress asked what I wanted to drink and I said, "tomato juice." I was serious :?
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » September 3rd, 2009, 10:25 pm

DukePA wrote:
DukeUsul wrote:

I'm with you guys on this. Raw tomatoes look fabulous, but I just don't like them. They must be processed or cooked in some way. I'll try one every 5 years or so, but I never like them. I remember watching everyone eat tomato sandwiches as a kid and they looked to die for, but still, no dice for me. I'm going to tell on myself. I was still in the Navy, pregnant, and living in Great Lakes, Illinois. My ex and I went out for dinner and I ordered a club sandwich and said, "no tomatoes" and emphasized this several times. Then the waitress asked what I wanted to drink and I said, "tomato juice." I was serious :?
Eww! Tomato juice also falls in the "raw tomato" category. Funny thing is that I WILL eat fresh salsa. I guess that's because the tomatoes have been processed with the onion, lime juice, beans, cilantro and corn.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith