Vick to the Iggles

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

rockymtn devil
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Re: Vick to the Iggles

Post by rockymtn devil » August 17th, 2009, 9:26 am

windsor wrote: On one hand I 'get' the 'he's served his time' logic. On the other hand, if I were convicted of similar crimes and served my time I know my employer wouldn't be hiring me back. I'd be lucky to get a job at the corner convenience store. I guess I would have to apply to work for the NFL since they are so forgiving about hiring convicted felons.

Frankly the thought of him making millions and playing again makes me :ymsick: :ymsick: :ymsick:
While I'm sympathetic to this point (and feel he should've had to sit out another football season for the lying/gambling) and I agree with the accuracy of your statement, I think the argument kind of misses the point. I can't speak for anyone else here, but if I were convicted of dog fighting and served two years in federal prison, I would not got my job back, or, more accurately, a job in the same industry (Vick didn't get his old job back; he went from being the highest player in the league, to being on a small, one-year contract with an option for the second year). Putting aside that I'd be disbarred, I'm not that valuable to my employer. I don't have the ability to generate tens of millions of dollars. Vick does. Thus, it's apples and oranges to compare a professional athlete who, at least at one time, had the potential to turn good teams into very good ones to an ordinary citizen. If Mike Vick helps the Eagles win the Super Bowl--a very real possibility even before his signing--it'll look like a smart move. This isn't about "second chances". It's about winning football games. And in the real world, there is no equivalent.
:ymbilly: vs. :ymhiro: Ken vs. Ryu. Classic.