Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Re: No Re-Entry Policy

Post by CathyCA » September 4th, 2016, 4:25 pm

Additional notes:

1. MOST of the student body left at halftime. :happy-wavemulticolor:

2. The TV screens they promised us under the deck were non-existent. The new jumbotron is VERY nice. We really didn't need the TV screens they had promised us.

3. We stayed mostly dry sitting under the deck. Occasionally, a northeast wind gust would push the mist our way.

4. My internet is very slow under the deck. Some wifi under the deck would be nice. Does anyone know a password?

5. The new ladies' rooms are very convenient to our seats. :obscene-tolietpush:

6. Most of the people watching TV in the parking lot in the 3rd quarter were watching UNC-UGA.

7. We actually got a better parking space this year. Thanks, Mom! :-*

8. The NCCU fans were very friendly, and their band was outstanding. :happy-bouncyred:

9. One of the security guys thought that the lens on my camera was longer than 4 inches. I offered to measure it for him. I got to take it inside. :investigator:

10. If my items were already inside a plastic bag, the line would not slow down while I emptied my pockets to put my wallet, sunglasses, keys, phone, headphones, gum and camera in the clear plastic shoebox they provided. :-B
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 4th, 2016, 7:29 pm

CathyCA wrote:There was a lady in the row in front of us who had a clear plastic bag with her personal items (makeup, gum, wallet, etc.) in it. I'm not sure how she got it in to Wally Wade, but she did.

At NCSU, they sell the clear plastic totes in the student store. They are $11.99 and they are allowed in Carter-Finley and NFL stadiums. http://www.redandwhiteshop.com/products ... adium-tote

Duke could sell similar bags for twice that price.

If Duke were to allow clear plastic bags, I'd probably bring in a NCSU tote. Just because.

:9f:
Hell, one of my partners said the Wolfpack Club sent all their members a clear plastic bag for this purpose. You'd think Jack Winters and the IDs would think of that. X(
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » September 4th, 2016, 8:14 pm

I am sorely tempted to spring for a GA ticket on days I want to re-enter. This week they are $5 with 3 items for Louisiana flood victims.

At the gate next to the Yoh, I was informed I would have to go through the medical/family line because of the size of the blaze orange vest. While the Rev. LG argued with security over the fact that there is NOTHING in the policy about clothing, I discovered there was no one going through the next set of gates and went through without a peep. :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » September 4th, 2016, 8:15 pm

I just went over 10,000 posts. Yay me. :ymparty: :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » September 4th, 2016, 9:22 pm

CathyCA wrote:There was a lady in the row in front of us who had a clear plastic bag with her personal items (makeup, gum, wallet, etc.) in it. I'm not sure how she got it in to Wally Wade, but she did.

At NCSU, they sell the clear plastic totes in the student store. They are $11.99 and they are allowed in Carter-Finley and NFL stadiums. http://www.redandwhiteshop.com/products ... adium-tote

If Duke were to allow clear plastic bags, I'd probably bring in a NCSU tote. Just because.

When I went up at halftime I used the section 28 aisle. The man sitting on the end of the row had a camera with a long lense, 7 or 8" long. Really! ;)! I wonder how he got that in after you had trouble with your camera lens. :9f:
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » September 4th, 2016, 10:27 pm

I saw shoulder bags and purses all around our seats. How about that. Hmmmm?

Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » September 4th, 2016, 10:40 pm

Ima Facultiwyfe wrote:I saw shoulder bags and purses all around our seats. How about that. Hmmmm?

Love, Ima
We did as well. We are in section 25, some rows behind the players' families, and I saw several family members carrying various sorts of backpacks, purses, etc. :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » September 4th, 2016, 10:50 pm

Mom flipped out when she saw a woman carrying a Michael Kors tote. "Look at her! She has a purse," Mom exclaimed loudly enough to be heard over the thumping Jumbotron music. When I pointed out that the woman had 2 children with her and that she was using the Michael Kors purse as a diaper bag, Mom said, "Diaper bags sure have changed, haven't they?"

I'm not certain that I'd want little ones hanging all over me in order to bring my purse into the stadium. Been there, done that!

“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » September 4th, 2016, 10:56 pm

devildeac wrote:

Hell, one of my partners said the Wolfpack Club sent all their members a clear plastic bag for this purpose. You'd think Jack Winters and the IDs would think of that. X(
It wouldn't even need to be their original idea. All they'd have to do is to call their counterparts at the other schools in the conference to get this idea. It's obvious that they didn't check what the other schools (or the NFL or the NBA) were doing.

~ James Naismith
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » September 4th, 2016, 11:00 pm

CathyCA wrote:Mom flipped out when she saw a woman carrying a Michael Kors tote. "Look at her! She has a purse," Mom exclaimed loudly enough to be heard over the thumping Jumbotron music. When I pointed out that the woman had 2 children with her and that she was using the Michael Kors purse as a diaper bag, Mom said, "Diaper bags sure have changed, haven't they?"

I'm not certain that I'd want little ones hanging all over me in order to bring my purse into the stadium. Been there, done that!

I suggested to Chip Slate that they rent out space in Harry's diaper bag. :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » September 4th, 2016, 11:09 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:
CathyCA wrote:Mom flipped out when she saw a woman carrying a Michael Kors tote. "Look at her! She has a purse," Mom exclaimed loudly enough to be heard over the thumping Jumbotron music. When I pointed out that the woman had 2 children with her and that she was using the Michael Kors purse as a diaper bag, Mom said, "Diaper bags sure have changed, haven't they?"

I suggested to Chip Slate that they rent out space in Harry's diaper bag. :9f:
I'd rent space in it for my phone, sunglasses, sunscreen, kleenex, headphones, iPhone, chihuahuas and other personal items.

~ James Naismith
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » September 4th, 2016, 11:22 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:On the way back to my seat at halftime I found Jack Winters standing at the top of the stairway at my aisle. I had a 15 minute conversation with him about the no re-entry policy and handbags.

First the good news: Ladies will be able to carry their regular purses into Cameron Indoor Stadium for basketball games. Fewer people attending (9,514, or whatever the number is) and more entrances allow for this to happen in a 30 minute period when most people are entering CIS.

Now the bad news: current "no re-entry and no bag policies" are NOT going to change. The security professionals, whoever they are, say re-entry is the most dangerous time when someone who wants to do harm can get their materials back into the stadium. I guess they can reconnoiter the facilities when entering the first time and can figure out the easiest way to get contraband in the second. I don't buy in but that's what Jack says. And with the limited number of entrances (3) into WW, they can't have enough personnel to search thousands of bags in a timely fashion before the game. At Cameron, with fewer people and more entrances, the situation is different.

He said only 3 ACC schools allow reentry - NC State (as devildeac reported), Wake Forest and Clemson. But they have way different logistical situations. (Yeah, waaaaaaaaaaaay more fans in the case of State and Clemson, not so WF). He said they have far more entrances to have the personnel to do the checking.

I told him the current policies are overkill. And he retorted, "If we didn't make our best effort to keep people safe, what would people say if there was an attack/incident and patrons were killed?" No real answer to that, is there... Fucking terrorists.

Jack did tell me if I wanted a refund on my season ticket purchase, call his office on Tuesday morning and it will be arranged. I declined his offer, but told him others won't. He said they may lose a few current fans, but they will be replaced by new fans. (Wrong attitude, Jack. Just wrong.)

So that's the way it is. September, 2016. Accept it or don't attend. X( :9f:
If the argument for no re-entry is that it would allow the "bad guys" reconnoiter the facilities and bring contraband in for the second half, what will prevent them from using the information from this game to get the contraband into the next game? Three entrances - then the contraband comes in for the fourth game since they have scouted out all three entrances.
Life is good!
shereec
PWing School Professor

Post by shereec » September 5th, 2016, 7:17 am

The security guy with the wand at the gate we came through told us a clear plastic bag would be ok as long as it was a reasonable size. No one checked our jackets - we carried them through the metal detector.
My niece went to the Panthers game Thursday and said they had the same purse size restrictions. However, they had big signs around the stadium with an outline for you to measure your purse against. Hers was just a tad larger than allowed so she draped her jacket over her arm an tucked the purse under the jacket and walked through...
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 5th, 2016, 2:30 pm

I may print a few copies of this (courtesy of what Bob Green gathered from the Northwestern sports website and posted OY) to distribute to a few Duke officials this weekend:

"Fans are encouraged to bring only necessary items to the stadium. Each ticketed attendee will be allowed to enter Ryan Field with one (1) clear plastic bag no larger than 12" x 6" x 12," or a one-gallon clear plastic bag. The only non-clear items that will be permitted are small clutch bags no larger than 4.5" x 6.5". An exception will be made for medically necessary items."
Bob Green
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by Bob Green » September 5th, 2016, 4:04 pm

Mrs. Green is bringing a slightly larger "clutch" to the Wake Forest game. I measured it at 6" X 8" and believe it will be okay based on how easily we sailed through security on Saturday. This "clutch" has a strap so it is much more practical from Mrs. Green's perspective. I've instructed her to wrap the strap around the bag and hold the bag in her hand as we approach security and then stick it in the plastic container.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » September 8th, 2016, 9:56 pm

I just got the following email from a member of the "No Punt Intended" tent. She asked me to share it with our group, so here it is. You all know what to do.
Hi NPIers,

Beth and I brainstormed this afternoon on talking points, and I just spoke with David Brochu (919-668-5728, dbrochu@duaa.duke.edu) in the Iron Dukes Office. Short answer is that they don’t expect anything to change for this season. My response was that we were hoping for a change by this weekend’s game. My simple solution to get Blue Devil Alley back to close to what we purchased and also address their security concerns is to provide each of the 26 tents with 25 re-entry passes per game. David is compiling a notebook of letters and asked that I email him so that he has my complain and suggestions on record. He’s super nice and just the messenger. I did warn him that I will ask that everyone in our tailgate share their thoughts as well. He knows us by tent name. :-)

Back story is that the policy came down from the Trustees after the ticket and tent sales were complete. While it explains the bait and switch, it certainly doesn’t excuse it and I feel that Athletics has a responsibility to remedy it by the next game. Sounds like they are more in the mode of collecting letters.

Please take the time to email David this week with your concerns and suggestions. Also, if you have other friends in Blue Devil Alley, let them know too. I will make up some handouts with his contact info to share with the other tents on Saturday.

Kelly

~ James Naismith
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » September 9th, 2016, 11:41 am

Also. . . how much did WE as a group PAY to Duke to create the game day atmosphere of Blue Devil Alley?

Shouldn't they take that into consideration in providing re-entry passes to those of us who paid for licenses to set up our tailgates in Blue Devil Alley?

We paid them to have a tailgate, and they won't let us return to it at halftime unless we buy extra tickets from Duke to re-enter the stadium.

Maybe we should ask to move Blue Devil Alley inside Wally Wade.

~ James Naismith
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 9th, 2016, 6:33 pm

It couldn't hurt to organize a petition to turn in. Not that they'll listen, but it would be another item to go along with the emails and letters they are getting.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 9th, 2016, 7:00 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:It couldn't hurt to organize a petition to turn in. Not that they'll listen, but it would be another item to go along with the emails and letters they are getting.
Where do I sign?
throatybeard
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by throatybeard » September 13th, 2016, 3:57 pm

Some of y'all have probably read the DBR thread on the Wake Forest game too. It's more or less the same thread every year, except the stadium has gotten a lot less gross, I'm told. It's sad to hear that Duke isn't getting the GameDay experience right, still, with several even-more-fan-unfriendly policies.