The Restaurant Thread

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Re: The Restaurant Thread

Post by CameronBornAndBred » July 24th, 2009, 11:09 pm

craziecat wrote:I would love to visit Boston again. Sorry about the Angus Barn comment :D , I just get so damn hungry for that place. I guess I could go to Morton's Steak House here instead.

I need to add one more joint to my list. Morgan's in New Bern, NC.. AWESOME FOOD..
Down the road from me, but never eaten there (or anywhere in New Bern) What kind of food?
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » July 25th, 2009, 11:30 am

Six Feet Under in Atlanta is one of the best seafood joints around, with a damned fine rooftop deck to boot. Anytime any CTer is in town, you just let me know, and we'll go there.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » July 25th, 2009, 11:41 pm

There's a fabulous authentic Cajun restaurant called Who Dat's in (I kid you not) Bald Knob, AR. Best shrimp I've ever tasted - flown up fresh daily from the Gulf. They have a platter that we always jokingly called the Bubba Gump platter that has a variety of shrimp dishes with enough food to provide meals for a couple of days. My favorite barbecue place in LR is Whole Hog Barbecue. Their pulled pork is incredible, and they have a selection of sauces on the table to choose from. They also have very good potato salad. Another local place in LR, Cotham's, has amazing fried catfish, fried okra, and fried green tomatoes. The secret is their breading. They're also somewhat famous for their hubcap burgers. Their burgers are good, but the catfish is so good that I always get that. And, although the catfish at Cotham's is very good, it's not nearly as good as Valley Cafe in Kingston, AR. IIRC catfish night is Saturday. Their hush puppies are phenomenal.

For local places here in St. Louis, there's a great little Mediterranean place on Euclid that my co-workers and I like. Of course, it goes without saying that Ted Drewe's is great. (Mental note: need to go to Ted Drewe's...)
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
rockymtn devil
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by rockymtn devil » July 26th, 2009, 10:19 pm

In Denver, the Cherry Cricket is a great locals fav. The beer list (emphasizing Colorado craft brews) is fantastic and the burgers are top-notch. I recommend the cricket burger with smoked cheddar, bacon, and some green chili on the side to dip in.
:ymbilly: vs. :ymhiro: Ken vs. Ryu. Classic.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » July 27th, 2009, 4:34 pm

Jordan's, Emerald Isle --- seafood for the budget minded.
This is where the beach babes ate, I've never been there before; it was worth the half hour wait. It reminded me a lot of Bullock's, except it was seafood and not barbecue, they even had the mints for sale at the cashier. You are welcomed with a basket of hush puppies, which were great, and they provided lots of honey spread to go with them. They have a steam bar, which I didn't get anything from but DukePA's significant got a good looking batch of stone crab legs. They have a pretty good beer selection from the bar as well, which you can sit and eat at if you are eating single or with a small party. The food that we had was lots of fried seafood, they have a really good selection and you can order combo plates. Large portions, I had the rest of mine for lunch the next day. The also have landlubber food, so if you are with a picky person, or someone who can't eat shellfish, then it's still a good choice.
DukePA
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by DukePA » July 27th, 2009, 5:22 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:Jordan's, Emerald Isle --- seafood for the budget minded.
This is where the beach babes ate, I've never been there before; it was worth the half hour wait. It reminded me a lot of Bullock's, except it was seafood and not barbecue, they even had the mints for sale at the cashier. You are welcomed with a basket of hush puppies, which were great, and they provided lots of honey spread to go with them. They have a steam bar, which I didn't get anything from but DukePA's significant got a good looking batch of stone crab legs. They have a pretty good beer selection from the bar as well, which you can sit and eat at if you are eating single or with a small party. The food that we had was lots of fried seafood, they have a really good selection and you can order combo plates. Large portions, I had the rest of mine for lunch the next day. The also have landlubber food, so if you are with a picky person, or someone who can't eat shellfish, then it's still a good choice.

What he said :) Also, if you want to eat healthy, do not go to Jordan's. It's just an old fashioned fish house. Nothing fancy, but fun if you're in the mood.
DukePA

Post by DukePA » July 27th, 2009, 5:24 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
craziecat wrote:I would love to visit Boston again. Sorry about the Angus Barn comment :D , I just get so damn hungry for that place. I guess I could go to Morton's Steak House here instead.

I need to add one more joint to my list. Morgan's in New Bern, NC.. AWESOME FOOD..
Down the road from me, but never eaten there (or anywhere in New Bern) What kind of food?

I love Morgan's. It's upscale burgers, pasta, seafood, etc . . . The place is built in a rehabbed old New Bern building.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » July 28th, 2009, 1:45 pm

Charleston, SC: Jestine's Kitchen. Corner of Meeting St. and Wentworth St.
In my book, any place that has fried chicken livers on the menu is automatically pretty good. That's just what I had for lunch, with macaroni & cheese and fried okra, along with a glass (well, actually about four glasses) of what they call "Jestine's table wine"...sweet tea.
'Twas delicious. Well worth the ~20 minute wait for a table.
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » July 28th, 2009, 1:49 pm

If you want a good steak, please don't throw anything at me, but Applebee's cooks up a great steak. Seriously, I'd rather go there for steak than the AB.
I worship the Blue Devil!
Sue71
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Sue71 » July 28th, 2009, 1:54 pm

TillyGalore wrote:

If you want a good steak, please don't throw anything at me, but Applebee's cooks up a great steak. Seriously, I'd rather go there for steak than the AB.
You're seriously asking me not to throw something at you after a comment like that? =))
You don't walk the plank in NJ. You just disappear. Forever.
Sue71

Post by Sue71 » July 28th, 2009, 2:02 pm

Good Applebees: Mozzarella sticks, Asian chicken salad, mudslides
Bad Applebees: Steaks (in my experience)

I'd go so far as to say that TGIFridays has better steaks.

Which reminds me... dinner tonight... hmmm...
You don't walk the plank in NJ. You just disappear. Forever.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » July 28th, 2009, 6:37 pm

I had a sirloin at Applebee's the other day that was totally disgusting. I asked for medium rare and got medium well. It also had this weird burnt salty taste in the grill marks, and the rest of it tasted like they'd injected it with some weird saline solution. One of the worst steaks I can remember. I am never eating another steak at Applebee's. Ever. JMHO.

I think Tilly just has some kind of beef with the Barn. Everytime I mention it, SHE throws something at me. What did they do to you, Tilly?

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 28th, 2009, 11:49 pm

bjornolf wrote:I had a sirloin at Applebee's the other day that was totally disgusting. I asked for medium rare and got medium well. It also had this weird burnt salty taste in the grill marks, and the rest of it tasted like they'd injected it with some weird saline solution. One of the worst steaks I can remember. I am never eating another steak at Applebee's. Ever. JMHO.

I think Tilly just has some kind of beef with the Barn. Everytime I mention it, SHE throws something at me. What did they do to you, Tilly?

%%-
"...beef with the Barn..."

Good one, Big Guy :)) :))
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
Miles

Post by Miles » July 29th, 2009, 12:29 am

bjornolf wrote:I had a sirloin at Applebee's the other day that was totally disgusting. I asked for medium rare and got medium well. It also had this weird burnt salty taste in the grill marks, and the rest of it tasted like they'd injected it with some weird saline solution. One of the worst steaks I can remember. I am never eating another steak at Applebee's. Ever. JMHO.

%%-
I refuse to eat steaks from the middle-grade chain restaurants. I've never had a decent steak from Applebee's, Chili's, T.G.I. Friday's, Outback, Fuddruckers..... you get the picture. Other than the lack of skill in the kitchen, I've found their quality of meat is just substandard. I don't like tendons in my food.
sMiles
Miles

Post by Miles » July 29th, 2009, 12:40 am

Encinitas, CA: Siamese Basil. Scrumptious Thai food and awesome lunch specials. It's in a great location on Hwy 101, surrounded by shopping and is a short walk to the beach. Head across the street for a few colds ones in the prototypical SoCal dive-bar, the Saloon.

Charlotte, NC: Kelly and I have been spending some time at Good Food on Montford. Their menu is more than fairly priced and there's just enough variety to satisfy most dinner parties. We like to sit at the bar and go "tapas". Get a bottle of wine or two, order a few appetizers and enjoy the night. Our favorite: the cheese plate, the beef carpacio, and some foie gras and toasted brioche.
8-} :ymapplause: \:D/ =p~
sMiles
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » July 29th, 2009, 8:43 am

Miles wrote:I refuse to eat steaks from the middle-grade chain restaurants. I've never had a decent steak from Applebee's, Chili's, T.G.I. Friday's, Outback, Fuddruckers..... you get the picture. Other than the lack of skill in the kitchen, I've found their quality of meat is just substandard. I don't like tendons in my food.

I didn't even know you COULD get a steak at Fuddrucker's. Wow. Also, while I agree for the most part, especially after my Applebee's experience, I have had decent (not great) steaks at Golden Corral. I've also had very good steaks at places like Mike's American (in Springfield, VA) and Logan's Roadhouse (which I would definitely consider a mid-grade chain). I've also had good ones at Lonestar Steakhouse and at Texas Steakhouse. Outback has gone downhill recently, at least around here. They don't put as much seasoning on them anymore, and the meat seems to have a LOT more gristle than even a few years ago.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Devil in the Blue Dress

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » July 30th, 2009, 2:06 pm

The mention of a Weber grill on the Barbecue thread reminded me of another interesting restaurant: Weber Grill Restaurant http://www.webergrillrestaurant.com/. This is a place where one can celebrate the greatness of Weber in the food served, the atmosphere, the classes offered. I've eaten at the one in Lombard, IL. You can't miss it because of the giant Weber grill on site.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » July 31st, 2009, 1:20 pm

devildeac wrote:

%%-
"...beef with the Barn..."

Good one, Big Guy :)) :))
This is about a different Barn...maybe Cathy has eaten there.

"It was a place known for a sizzling steak or a succulent lobster any night of the week not to mention a vineyard of wine under one roof. But, tough times have forced one local restaurant, many consider a Greenville institution to stop service.
Owner Bob Simon and his wife Donna are closing the doors on the Beef Barn in Greenville.
Simon says the poor economy and a boom in chain restaurants have forced the couple to stop service since the restaurant opened in 1967.
Simon has been with the Beef Barn since 1983 and he and the restaurant have collected several awards over the years for its food and its extensive wine selection." From http://www.witn.com/home/headlines/52114992.html
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » July 31st, 2009, 3:06 pm

I'm always saddened when I read something like that. Especially when it's the chains that put them out of business.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » July 31st, 2009, 5:15 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
This is about a different Barn...maybe Cathy has eaten there.

"It was a place known for a sizzling steak or a succulent lobster any night of the week not to mention a vineyard of wine under one roof. But, tough times have forced one local restaurant, many consider a Greenville institution to stop service.
Owner Bob Simon and his wife Donna are closing the doors on the Beef Barn in Greenville.
Simon says the poor economy and a boom in chain restaurants have forced the couple to stop service since the restaurant opened in 1967.
Simon has been with the Beef Barn since 1983 and he and the restaurant have collected several awards over the years for its food and its extensive wine selection." From http://www.witn.com/home/headlines/52114992.html
Yes, I've eaten there. It was good. The last time I ate there was Mother's Day, but I didn't have a steak--I had the buffet.

They've been cutting down their hours for some time now, and were only doing catering and special events recently. The Beef Barn was an institution here in Greenville. I'm sorry to see them go.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith