2015 Recruiting

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: 2015 Recruiting

Post by devildeac » July 11th, 2014, 10:01 pm

Bob Green wrote:LB Ben Humphreys will cut his list to five in August. He says Washington and Duke will definitely make the cut, he doesn't know about the other three spots.
Both those guys look a bit small for the LB position. Might they be "hybrids" or "bandits" in Cut's system or might they ultimately be DBs?
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
Bob Green
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by Bob Green » July 14th, 2014, 5:07 am

devildeac wrote:
Bob Green wrote:LB Ben Humphreys will cut his list to five in August. He says Washington and Duke will definitely make the cut, he doesn't know about the other three spots.
Both those guys look a bit small for the LB position. Might they be "hybrids" or "bandits" in Cut's system or might they ultimately be DBs?
Humphreys will move to safety for his senior season.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 14th, 2014, 8:31 am

Bob Green wrote:
devildeac wrote:
Humphreys will move to safety for his senior season.
Thanks, Bob. Good size there. Hope he's got the speed, too.
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » July 14th, 2014, 5:14 pm

According to Scout, Markus Bailey has committed to Purdue.

I'm hearing/reading different things on Humphreys, some folks say he will be next to impossible to lure off the West Coast, while others are saying Duke is in great shape.

In QB news (well not really news this straight from the water cooler stuff), there have been some rumors spreading that all Sam Darnold talked about all week at The Opening was Duke.
The Football Fan
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by The Football Fan » July 14th, 2014, 11:11 pm

On Markus Baily, I'm okay with losing him...I've just got a funny feeling we're going to land a bigger talent. Maybe Humphrey, maybe someone else....

Sam Darnold....makes me think of the stock market. I like it better when there's a few thinking someone else. Makes me wonder if he was hiding something by talking all Duke. Still, this is better than everyone saying he's a shoe in somewhere else. The crystal ball on 247 sports is pointing our way with the last several predictions....but then Hines is getting lots of love with picks to Clemson. Petite was decidedly USC....yet Duke came out on top. Sometimes it is really hard to figure.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 15th, 2014, 8:18 am

The Football Fan wrote:On Markus Baily, I'm okay with losing him...I've just got a funny feeling we're going to land a bigger talent. Maybe Humphrey, maybe someone else....

Sam Darnold....makes me think of the stock market. I like it better when there's a few thinking someone else. Makes me wonder if he was hiding something by talking all Duke. Still, this is better than everyone saying he's a shoe in somewhere else. The crystal ball on 247 sports is pointing our way with the last several predictions....but then Hines is getting lots of love with picks to Clemson. Petite was decidedly USC....yet Duke came out on top. Sometimes it is really hard to figure.
They're 17-18 year olds-whaddaya 'spect?

:ymblushing:
The Football Fan

Post by The Football Fan » July 15th, 2014, 10:49 pm

Yes, very true. I personally find it strange how easy it is to forget that fact.

Someone told me once that we make some of the most important decisions of our lives when we are the least prepared to make them.
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » July 18th, 2014, 4:16 pm

Sam Darnold is a Trojan. He just verballed to USC.
The Football Fan

Post by The Football Fan » July 18th, 2014, 10:18 pm

Yeah...had a feeling the talk wasn't for real. No inside info...just a gut feel. Course, maybe it was real and maybe after all those camps and people telling him how great he was, he decided he could beat out Ricky (the USC's other 5 star qb commit).

Eventually, we're going to land one of these 4-5 star QBs and 2-3 years thereafter, the offense is just going to be consistently lethal.

The positive side to this is we can focus our remaining spots on getting some more defensive studs. I still think that as we win games this year, doors will be open that were once closed. Our guys absolutely can't overlook or look past ANY game. Okay, truthfully, they probably could look past Elon, BUT from Troy on they have to bring the "A" game every time.
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » July 19th, 2014, 5:35 pm

The Football Fan wrote:I still think that as we win games this year, doors will be open that were once closed. Our guys absolutely can't overlook or look past ANY game. Okay, truthfully, they probably could look past Elon, BUT from Troy on they have to bring the "A" game every time.
I agree another good season will result in a couple of quality guys committing after the season/around National Signing Day. We've had success with late verbals for the past few seasons:

2014: Trevon Lee committed on 2/03/14
2013: Deondre Singleton committed on 1/20/13
2012: Jela Duncan 2/1/12, Shaq Powell committed on 12/11/11

I'm optimistic there is a 4-Star or perhaps even two 4-Stars who will commit to Duke in January/February 2015, IF we win 8, 9, 10, 11 games or more in 2014. While I believe we are capable of winning more games, an 8-5 record is the benchmark I see as needed in order to result in another recruiting quality bounce. The staff will save a couple of spots. It would be nice to both qualify for and win a bowl game this season.

I feel it is necessary to state something clearly upfront. While I am the eternal optimist when it comes to Duke sports, I am not losing my perspective. We are a couple of seasons removed from back-to-back 3-9 seasons. Things might not go as smooth as we all expect this season and if that happens, I really, really hope the fan base does not act like a bunch of spoiled kids! I remind myself daily where we have come from.
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » July 19th, 2014, 5:50 pm

Speaking of 4-Star recruits, LB Ben Humphreys just verballed to Duke. It will be official tomorrow, but it is all over Twitter already!
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » July 19th, 2014, 8:30 pm

Bob Green wrote:Speaking of 4-Star recruits, LB Ben Humphreys just verballed to Duke. It will be official tomorrow, but it is all over Twitter already!
Wow, sweet! :happy-bouncyblue:
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » July 24th, 2014, 3:20 pm

Is Jeff Faris hinting at something with the following tweet:
#CaliFab5
Class of 2015 currently includes four recruits from California: Ben Humphreys, Tyler Petite, Reno Rosene and Aaron Young. Speculation on the interweb (that's fancy talk for "rumors") indicates Kevin Estes could be #5.

http://duke.scout.com/a.z?s=167&p=8&c=1&nid=7679564
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » July 24th, 2014, 3:42 pm

Bob Green wrote:Is Jeff Faris hinting at something with the following tweet:
#CaliFab5
Class of 2015 currently includes four recruits from California: Ben Humphreys, Tyler Petite, Reno Rosene and Aaron Young. Speculation on the interweb (that's fancy talk for "rumors") indicates Kevin Estes could be #5.

Excellent, will be crossing fingers.
Devil in the Blue Dress
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » July 24th, 2014, 4:15 pm

Bob Green wrote:Is Jeff Faris hinting at something with the following tweet:
#CaliFab5

Perhaps this is a cheetah sighting just prior to ringing the Victory Bell in the Yoh. ;;)
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » July 25th, 2014, 5:12 pm

Running Back remains the position of need in the Class of 2015. Per Twitter, 3 Star Reggie Gallaspy will update his Top Five tomorrow.
Its been a long summer!!! I will be announcing my updated top 5 tomorrow! No order! #StayTuned
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » July 27th, 2014, 5:47 pm

Gallaspy's Top Five are (no order): Arkansas, Vanderbilt, Duke, N.C. State and Michigan State.
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » July 28th, 2014, 5:11 pm

ESPN updated their ESPN300 and class rankings. We are #23, which is #5 in the ACC. Clemson, FSU, Miami and UNC are ranked higher than us. We still have two recruits in the Top300: TE Tyler Petite and WR Keyston Fuller.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » July 28th, 2014, 6:02 pm

Bob Green wrote:ESPN updated their ESPN300 and class rankings. We are #23, which is #5 in the ACC. Clemson, FSU, Miami and UNC are ranked higher than us. We still have two recruits in the Top300: TE Tyler Petite and WR Keyston Fuller.
Even if we are bumped out of the 25 by signing day, assuming it is merely due to other teams filling rosters and not guys changing minds, it will be a wonderful class. Seeing that excitement is already building for the class of 2016, I'm in high spirits. I think we are going to look back on the day that Cut turned down Tennessee to stay at Duke in the same appreciation as when Tom Butters refused to cave in to pressure and kept Coach K on board.
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » July 29th, 2014, 8:16 am

Ugo Amadi is a 4-Star CB per Rivals, 3-Star on Scout and ESPN, and an Ole Miss verbal commit. He will be visiting Duke.