Buy Windows 7 Now!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor

Re: Buy Windows 7 Now!

Post by DukeUsul » October 26th, 2009, 3:55 pm

Finally got Windows 7 upgraded. The process took about an hour. Then it took me several hours to figure out how to get my Wireless NIC driver to work. In MS's defense, the upgrade advisor warned me the driver might not work and I should go get the most current one. Of course, the most current one Netgear had is a Vista 32-bit driver - not a Windows 7 64-bit driver. I think I musta been using the Vista 32-bit on my Vista 64-bit system. Anyway, after poking and prodding Mr. Google, I discovered that if I disabled the requirement for digitally signed drivers from the Windows boot menu (F8!), then it would install and work. And it did!

Now I'm poking around. The only major graphical difference I noticed at first is the new taskbar thing. Other than that, I'm still poking around looking for stuff. The Control Panel and Network center are a bit different. Haven't formed an opinion on much yet. The Windows Backup tool is way cool. Got it to backup everything to my second HDD with just a couplea clicks.
-- DukeUsul
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 27th, 2009, 5:41 pm

I'm getting ready to start my upgrade to Windows 7 pro. Still no word from Acer on my other copy. Fuggers.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 27th, 2009, 5:53 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:I'm getting ready to start my upgrade to Windows 7 pro. Still no word from Acer on my other copy. Fuggers.
DAMMIT!! You can't upgrade from home to pro...how stupid. So I ain't doing it until I download all of my drivers and programs (like Skype) so I have them ready to go. Probably will wait until Saturday so I have a day to fix what ever doesn't work after the install. CRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP!!!!!! X(
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 27th, 2009, 5:54 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote:I'm getting ready to start my upgrade to Windows 7 pro. Still no word from Acer on my other copy. Fuggers.
DAMMIT!! You can't upgrade from home to pro...how stupid. So I ain't doing it until I download all of my drivers and programs (like Skype) so I have them ready to go. Probably will wait until Saturday so I have a day to fix what ever doesn't work after the install. CRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP!!!!!! X(
I can install either the 32 or 64 bit version..not sure which I'll do. Leaning towards 32.
DukeUsul

Post by DukeUsul » October 27th, 2009, 6:41 pm

I can install either the 32 or 64 bit version..not sure which I'll do. Leaning towards 32.
I was running 64-bit Vista and never had an issue. Every program I wanted to worked. Win7 64-bit seems to also be pretty good.
-- DukeUsul
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 27th, 2009, 6:45 pm

DukeUsul wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote: I can install either the 32 or 64 bit version..not sure which I'll do. Leaning towards 32.
I was running 64-bit Vista and never had an issue. Every program I wanted to worked. Win7 64-bit seems to also be pretty good.
Since I have to do new install anyways..that's an option. I could try it, and then if it doesn't work just do it over again as 32bit. I would like the ability to cram a ton of RAM in it...just to see if there is a difference.
DukeUsul

Post by DukeUsul » October 27th, 2009, 7:08 pm

DukeUsul wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote: I can install either the 32 or 64 bit version..not sure which I'll do. Leaning towards 32.
Since I have to do new install anyways..that's an option. I could try it, and then if it doesn't work just do it over again as 32bit. I would like the ability to cram a ton of RAM in it...just to see if there is a difference.
May wanna check to see if you have any 32-bit apps that have problems under 64-bit OS.
-- DukeUsul
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 27th, 2009, 7:11 pm

DukeUsul wrote:
DukeUsul wrote: Since I have to do new install anyways..that's an option. I could try it, and then if it doesn't work just do it over again as 32bit. I would like the ability to cram a ton of RAM in it...just to see if there is a difference.
May wanna check to see if you have any 32-bit apps that have problems under 64-bit OS.
That's the only concern..including using an older app or game that I'm not using now. I like pulling out old games now and then.
DukeUsul

Post by DukeUsul » October 27th, 2009, 7:12 pm

How old? I've been playing things like Civilization IV that works just fine. Published in 2005.
-- DukeUsul
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 27th, 2009, 7:21 pm

DukeUsul wrote:How old? I've been playing things like Civilization IV that works just fine. Published in 2005.
Most common old game is Links2003 golf (I play online). Also a bunch of old shooters like COD, Wolfenstein (I have yet to try new one, it looks awesome), MOHAA.
DukeUsul

Post by DukeUsul » October 27th, 2009, 8:48 pm

DukeUsul wrote:How old? I've been playing things like Civilization IV that works just fine. Published in 2005.
Most common old game is Links2003 golf (I play online). Also a bunch of old shooters like COD, Wolfenstein (I have yet to try new one, it looks awesome), MOHAA.
Go Win7 64-bit. Install VMWare server on top of that. Run XP virtualized for any really old games.

:D
-- DukeUsul
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 27th, 2009, 8:51 pm

DukeUsul wrote:
Go Win7 64-bit. Install VMWare server on top of that. Run XP virtualized for any really old games.

That's a cool idea, I need some VMWare experience.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 27th, 2009, 8:53 pm

DukeUsul wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote: Most common old game is Links2003 golf (I play online). Also a bunch of old shooters like COD, Wolfenstein (I have yet to try new one, it looks awesome), MOHAA.

That's a cool idea, I need some VMWare experience.
SInce I can't do the Windows 7, and it's getting wiped anyways, I'm gonna play aroung with Ubuntu until the install...back in 30 min if it works. Back tomorrow if it doesn't. =))
DukeUsul

Post by DukeUsul » October 27th, 2009, 8:56 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote: SInce I can't do the Windows 7, and it's getting wiped anyways, I'm gonna play aroung with Ubuntu until the install...back in 30 min if it works. Back tomorrow if it doesn't. =))
Run ubuntu virtualized too. :D

I just set up VMWare server on my Vista box. Got ubuntu running in it. I haven't tried to use it since I upgraded to 7. With a quad core proc and 6 GB of RAM, I can run a couple of VMs on my box at the same time pretty easily.
-- DukeUsul
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 27th, 2009, 9:05 pm

HA! Ubuntu wouldn't install on top of Vista either, got an error 1/2 way into it. It went fine on my XP pc at work. Oh well...Saturday will be here soon enough.
DukeUsul

Post by DukeUsul » October 27th, 2009, 9:08 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:HA! Ubuntu wouldn't install on top of Vista either, got an error 1/2 way into it. It went fine on my XP pc at work. Oh well...Saturday will be here soon enough.
Are you putting Ubuntu into VMWare on Vista? What version of VMWare?
-- DukeUsul
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 27th, 2009, 9:12 pm

DukeUsul wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote:HA! Ubuntu wouldn't install on top of Vista either, got an error 1/2 way into it. It went fine on my XP pc at work. Oh well...Saturday will be here soon enough.
No, installing it inside Vista. It's an option from the CD, then it dual boots.
Miles
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by Miles » October 27th, 2009, 10:45 pm

DukeUsul wrote:
No, installing it inside Vista. It's an option from the CD, then it dual boots.
I'm running Ubuntu 9.04 and CentOS on my Mac using VMWare. Runs super smooth. I am in the process of building my new computer at work and will be running all additional flavors of O/S on VMWare.
sMiles
DevilAlumna
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by DevilAlumna » October 27th, 2009, 10:52 pm

DukeUsul wrote:

Or since you have Windows 7 Professional (yeah, that upgrade path thingy is pretty sucky - it hit my home too), you can take advantage of "Windows XP mode" - http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtua ... fault.aspx
What is Windows XP Mode?
Windows XP Mode for Windows 7 makes it easy to install and run many Windows XP productivity applications directly from your Windows 7-based PC. It utilizes virtualization technology, such as Windows Virtual PC, to provide a virtual Windows XP environment for Windows 7.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 27th, 2009, 11:05 pm

DevilAlumna wrote:
Or since you have Windows 7 Professional (yeah, that upgrade path thingy is pretty sucky - it hit my home too), you can take advantage of "Windows XP mode" - http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtua ... fault.aspx
What is Windows XP Mode?
Windows XP Mode for Windows 7 makes it easy to install and run many Windows XP productivity applications directly from your Windows 7-based PC. It utilizes virtualization technology, such as Windows Virtual PC, to provide a virtual Windows XP environment for Windows 7.
Cool! Is that more than xp compatability mode?