Need help from the computer folks...

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Need help from the computer folks...

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » September 24th, 2012, 9:31 pm

bjornolf wrote:Um, help?
Something new? :-\
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
IowaDevil
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by IowaDevil » September 24th, 2012, 10:13 pm

Ima Facultiwyfe wrote:I brought home my new MacPro yesterday and am totally and completely lost. Bought Native a hamburger today in exchange for an hour of tutoring. He's a great teacher, but it was like drinking from a fire hose!
Love, Ima
You are going to love it! :)
:happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f:
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » September 24th, 2012, 11:06 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
bjornolf wrote:Um, help?
Something new? :-\
I was hoping somebody would hit up my performance questions. :D
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » September 25th, 2012, 8:42 pm

Sorry you are having performance problems. But, I'm a 72 year old grandmother. I don't think I can help you with that sort of thing. :-\
Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » September 25th, 2012, 9:29 pm

Ima Facultiwyfe wrote:Sorry you are having performance problems. But, I'm a 72 year old grandmother. I don't think I can help you with that sort of thing. :-\
Love, Ima
That's OK. I'm a 34 year old teenager and I can't help him either! B-)

bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » September 25th, 2012, 9:52 pm

Ima Facultiwyfe wrote:Sorry you are having performance problems. But, I'm a 72 year old grandmother. I don't think I can help you with that sort of thing. :-\
Love, Ima
Um, question, not problem. =))
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » September 25th, 2012, 9:56 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
Love, Ima
If you're 34, I'm a Las Vegas showgirl!
Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » September 25th, 2012, 10:04 pm

Ima Facultiwyfe wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
Love, Ima
If you're 34, I'm a Las Vegas showgirl!
Love, Ima
You got the legs for it! B-)

I'm waiting for dd's response... :))

bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » September 27th, 2012, 6:22 am

No answers on which processor or how much RAM or even if the new ones are worth waiting for and why? Come on, I need my fix, man! I need a REAL computer! :((
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 27th, 2012, 8:11 am

My advice to anyone nowadays is that you really can't go wrong with anything you buy, unless you are planning on creating your own Pixar movie.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » October 1st, 2012, 7:24 pm

bjornolf wrote:Sorry. I posted all of that when I started this thread, but I realize that was months ago. I don't do much gaming on pc. I'm mostly a console guy when it comes to that, though that's pretty much due to my never having owned a laptop that didn't suffer nasty slow downs during gaming b/c 99% of mobile processors just weren't up to the task, at least the ones I could afford. My pc gaming is mostly limited to solitaire, minefield, and maybe the occasional word scrambling game on facebook. I do a lot of photo and family home video editing and uploading, though.

I'd pretty much settled on the HP Envy, mostly because it was the only decent laptop w/ a bluray drive and a 17" HD screen. I'm not overly worried about carrying it around. I use my ipad for that mostly. If a good lenovo/thinkpad comes out with 17" screen, I'd look into it though. The only one their site had said it was out of stock and they didn't know when it would come back.

As for waiting, I'm kind of reaching critical mass. I've put off getting one for three months now and limping along with my ipad as I've basically been afraid of pulling the trigger and getting the wrong thing. However, I have things I need a real computer for now that the kids are back in school. I MIGHT be able to hold off. Is there anything awesomely new coming out, or will it basically be the same hardware with the new OS?

Thanks.
Come on, DA, help a fellow '97er out.
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » October 2nd, 2012, 8:12 am

There is always something newer coming out....if you wait for the next big thing you'll never buy anything!

The HP Envy is a good choice. Mr. Windsor and I both have HPs and are very happy with them. I 'built' both of them of HPs site (as a teacher Mr. Windsor gets a discount) and went for the fastest processors and most ram available. I was not so concerned about drive space, as that is cheap and easy to supplement externally. I went for the top end processors on both our laptops to essentially extend their practical life span (the length of time between purchase and my decided that it is a big slow big and getting a new one)

The one issue with high performance laptops (any make/model) as that they run hot. Hot is bad. (I might have possibley contributed to this by overclocking :D ) Toshiba's vent heat to the side, HPs and Dells tend to run hot on the bottom. You need to dispate the heat one way or another (ironically on my desk at home the best thing for keeping it cool is NOT the coolings pads I own...it is a stinkin' aluminum cookie sheet. No joke.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » October 2nd, 2012, 8:25 am

windsor wrote:There is always something newer coming out....if you wait for the next big thing you'll never buy anything!

The HP Envy is a good choice. Mr. Windsor and I both have HPs and are very happy with them. I 'built' both of them of HPs site (as a teacher Mr. Windsor gets a discount) and went for the fastest processors and most ram available. I was not so concerned about drive space, as that is cheap and easy to supplement externally. I went for the top end processors on both our laptops to essentially extend their practical life span (the length of time between purchase and my decided that it is a big slow big and getting a new one)

The one issue with high performance laptops (any make/model) as that they run hot. Hot is bad. (I might have possibley contributed to this by overclocking :D ) Toshiba's vent heat to the side, HPs and Dells tend to run hot on the bottom. You need to dispate the heat one way or another (ironically on my desk at home the best thing for keeping it cool is NOT the coolings pads I own...it is a stinkin' aluminum cookie sheet. No joke.
Windsor, do you keep a supply of cookies on it? :-? If so, what kind? I'm thinking chocolate chip! :D B-)

bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » October 2nd, 2012, 8:39 am

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
windsor wrote:There is always something newer coming out....if you wait for the next big thing you'll never buy anything!

Windsor, do you keep a supply of cookies on it? :-? If so, what kind? I'm thinking chocolate chip! :D B-)
I thought for sure you were going to say CMOS chip! :D
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » October 2nd, 2012, 8:42 am

windsor wrote: The one issue with high performance laptops (any make/model) as that they run hot. Hot is bad. (I might have possibley contributed to this by overclocking :D ) Toshiba's vent heat to the side, HPs and Dells tend to run hot on the bottom. You need to dispate the heat one way or another (ironically on my desk at home the best thing for keeping it cool is NOT the coolings pads I own...it is a stinkin' aluminum cookie sheet. No joke.
That's great advice. I'll need to get a cookie sheet. I was reading reviews saying the new envys have dual fans right on the hot spots that seem to work really well. I'll believe it when I see it.
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » October 2nd, 2012, 9:00 am

bjornolf wrote:
windsor wrote: The one issue with high performance laptops (any make/model) as that they run hot. Hot is bad. (I might have possibley contributed to this by overclocking :D ) Toshiba's vent heat to the side, HPs and Dells tend to run hot on the bottom. You need to dispate the heat one way or another (ironically on my desk at home the best thing for keeping it cool is NOT the coolings pads I own...it is a stinkin' aluminum cookie sheet. No joke.
That's great advice. I'll need to get a cookie sheet. I was reading reviews saying the new envys have dual fans right on the hot spots that seem to work really well. I'll believe it when I see it.
Once you get the laptop and use it for a brief time you'll know where the hot spots are and can find a solution to cool them (hint: ice water baths are BAD ideas)
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » October 2nd, 2012, 9:03 am

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:

Cookies? Tracking Cookies...CMOS Chips (that was hysterical!!) ...we have lots and lots of cookies, persistent cookies, temporary cookies...we have LOTS of cookies
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » October 2nd, 2012, 9:57 am

Ymmm, cookies. (how can we not have a cookie smilie? We have a waffle, but no cookie? Makes me want a :beer: even if the sun isn't over the yardarm.)
Iron Duke #1471997.
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » October 2nd, 2012, 10:01 am

lawgrad91 wrote:Ymmm, cookies. (how can we not have a cookie smilie? We have a waffle, but no cookie? Makes me want a :beer: even if the sun isn't over the yardarm.)
But we have a cookie monster!!

:CookieMonster:
DevilAlumna
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by DevilAlumna » October 2nd, 2012, 11:55 pm

bjornolf wrote:Sorry. I posted all of that when I started this thread, but I realize that was months ago. I don't do much gaming on pc. I'm mostly a console guy when it comes to that, though that's pretty much due to my never having owned a laptop that didn't suffer nasty slow downs during gaming b/c 99% of mobile processors just weren't up to the task, at least the ones I could afford. My pc gaming is mostly limited to solitaire, minefield, and maybe the occasional word scrambling game on facebook. I do a lot of photo and family home video editing and uploading, though.

I'd pretty much settled on the HP Envy, mostly because it was the only decent laptop w/ a bluray drive and a 17" HD screen. I'm not overly worried about carrying it around. I use my ipad for that mostly. If a good lenovo/thinkpad comes out with 17" screen, I'd look into it though. The only one their site had said it was out of stock and they didn't know when it would come back.

As for waiting, I'm kind of reaching critical mass. I've put off getting one for three months now and limping along with my ipad as I've basically been afraid of pulling the trigger and getting the wrong thing. However, I have things I need a real computer for now that the kids are back in school. I MIGHT be able to hold off. Is there anything awesomely new coming out, or will it basically be the same hardware with the new OS?

Thanks.
bjornolf wrote:Finally got my shit together and am picking a laptop. Just a few quick questions about options:

1. Big price jump from 8 to 12 to 16 GBs RAM, basically $100/jump. Is it worth the jump? Will I notice a difference? I assume I want at least 12, but what about the 16?
2. Big price jump to go from i7 2.3 GHz, 6MB L3 cache to i7 2.6 GHz, 6MB L3 cache to i7 2.7 GHz, 8MB L3 cache processor (+/- $200/jump). Again, is it worth the price? Would I notice? Best to go with middle one?
3. If I had to choose between 12 GBs with suped up processor v. 16 with middle or bottom one, which?
3. Intel 2x2 v. 3x3 802.11 WLAN. Not such a big price jump, but how much difference will it make?
4. 1TB 5400RPM drive v. 750GB 7200RPM hybrid drive. Price difference is negligible. Doubt I'll fill up the 750, let alone 1TB. Which drive is more reliable? Will I ever notice the speed difference?
5. Windows 7 home premium v. pro v. ultimate? Price difference is big. All in 64 bit. I think I know this one.

Thanks so much.
Do you really have that many blu-ray movies that having a DVD drive to watch them on your laptop matters a lot? I can't remember the last time I bought a physical copy of any entertainment form (making an exception for some reference books, I'm old school there.)

To specifically address some of your decision points: Video/photo editing is processing intensive, so I'd go for the middle one of your three i7 choices. I always believe the "best of breed" option is overpriced, no matter the item you're considering, hence my middle option; that said, for RAM, I'd say get the most you can. $200 to go from 8GB to 16GB doesn't strike me as too bad, and although you may be able to upgrade aftermarket, you wouldn't be saving that much. I have no opinions on the networking card. I'd look for reviews to see if there's any appreciable difference in features or quality/problems.

You seem determined to buy now, but I still encourage you to wait until the Win8 hardware comes out. I think if you intend to keep this machine for >3 years, you'll be wanting Win8, and forthat, you'll want a touch screen. You can find touchscreen laptops now, but Win8 will be coming commercially available at the end of this month. Most of the focus to date has been around tablet (ipad) hardware,u so actual laptops haven't gotten much press, but HP, Dell, Lenovo have all started giving previews of what's to come. And even if you decide you still want the current HP model you're eyeing, my guess is its price will have dropped even more once the new stuff is available. YMMV.