Attachments
irene.JPG
katrina.jpg
"The idea is that you are better today than you were yesterday."
windsor
PWing School Professor

Re: The Official Irene Go The Hell Away Thread

Post by windsor » August 26th, 2011, 5:57 pm

They are both big freakin' storms but the difference between the two makes all the difference. Katrina has a tight well formed eye, and that indicates the strength of the storm. I remember looking at a image like that of Katrina before land fall and thinking "this one is monster". The difference in strength as you go up the scale from a 2 to 3 to 5 isn't linear - it is exponential. While she isn't to be taken lightly at all Irene is much less powerful than Katrina - thank heavens! Plus, the further she goes north the colder the water under Irene gets and heat = power (the gulf temp in Clearwater right now is over 90). So..die BITCH DIE!

Having been through Charlie, Frances, Norma and Jean (in a five week period!) I send been there vibes :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:

Wish I could send my generator on up too!

Useful info: Water can be a problem...either loss of power means no pumps to get it to your tap or it get contaminated because of breaches..and boiling it without power is a pain in ass...I hope no one needs to no this, but the rule of thumb is filter the water through a coffee filter of clean cloth...let it stand - so any remaining sediment settles...pour it off into another container and add 10 drops of household bleach per gallon (it actually depends on the strength of the bleach, but 10 will cover it). Stir,let sit for half an hour. Safe. It should smell slightly like chlorine (and if you don't like that taste, stir it like crazy and is it sits the chlorine will dissipate.

This has been your Hurricane public service announcement
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » August 26th, 2011, 6:37 pm

Bob Green wrote:All you beach dwellers need to give us an updated status report once you are somewhere west of the I-95 corrider. I talked to my Dad a few minutes ago and he said he was fine because he lives west of I-95 (wow, a whopping 5 miles west).

I use to run out to I-95 and back when I was on the high school cross country team (a lot of beer under the bridge since them days). =))

Seriously, good luck to all of you! Now everyone needs to go seek shelter west.
Well, I live about 2 miles west of I-95 (as the crow flies). B-)
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » August 26th, 2011, 6:40 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
Bob Green wrote:All you beach dwellers need to give us an updated status report once you are somewhere west of the I-95 corrider. I talked to my Dad a few minutes ago and he said he was fine because he lives west of I-95 (wow, a whopping 5 miles west).

I use to run out to I-95 and back when I was on the high school cross country team (a lot of beer under the bridge since them days). =))

Seriously, good luck to all of you! Now everyone needs to go seek shelter west.
Well, I live about 2 miles west of I-95 (as the crow flies). B-)

Wind is a bitch, but the storm surge is the real killer....a mile or two and a couple of feet in elevation can make all the difference.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » August 26th, 2011, 6:59 pm

Dang! I almost forgot to fill the tub. Going to go do that now. . .

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » August 26th, 2011, 7:07 pm

Posted this on facebook, but will pass it along here too:

Cell service will be for shit after the storm (towers will be overloaded) and it may be hard to make/receive calls. My office and I communicated via text message - they take much less band width on the towers and don't have to be real time..so if you are trying to get a message out try a text.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 26th, 2011, 7:27 pm

It was kinda cool yesterday afternoon to go for an extended salt water and sand pedicure and see the rough surf and 6-8 foot waves. Even more cool to do the same this AM and see even rougher surf and larger waves. The mostest coolest thing to do was leaving the island about 945AM and arrive home safe and dry about 3 hours later after a barbecue stop at Smithfield's Chicken and Barbecue :D .
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » August 26th, 2011, 7:57 pm

devildeac wrote:It was kinda cool yesterday afternoon to go for an extended salt water and sand pedicure and see the rough surf and 6-8 foot waves. Even more cool to do the same this AM and see even rougher surf and larger waves. The mostest coolest thing to do was leaving the island about 945AM and arrive home safe and dry about 3 hours later after a barbecue stop at Smithfield's Chicken and Barbecue :D .
I'm jealous of the pedicure.

“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » August 26th, 2011, 8:01 pm

My mother has had two different invitations from people in the neighborhood for her to come over and spend the night at their homes during Hurricane Irene.

On the one hand, I think that those offers are very sweet. On the other hand, these people know that I live right around the corner (well, 3 corners) from Mom. Do they not think that I'm looking out for my Mom? Hey! Where's my invitation to stay with the neighbors?

~ James Naismith
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » August 26th, 2011, 8:04 pm

My bathtub is full of water now. This preparation guarantees that we won't lose flushing power during the storm. I'm already burning candles to guarantee that we won't lose electricity. I have a stack of books and magazines to read. That should guarantee that we won't lose cable and internet. The freezer is full of frozen water bottles. All of that ice should guarantee that we won't lose any frozen food.

~ James Naismith
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » August 26th, 2011, 8:09 pm

CathyCA wrote:My bathtub is full of water now. This preparation guarantees that we won't lose flushing power during the storm. I'm already burning candles to guarantee that we won't lose electricity. I have a stack of books and magazines to read. That should guarantee that we won't lose cable and internet. The freezer is full of frozen water bottles. All of that ice should guarantee that we won't lose any frozen food.

I have done none of those things. I also don't have any wasp nests to get rid of... :D
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 26th, 2011, 8:30 pm

CathyCA wrote:Dang! I almost forgot to fill the tub. Going to go do that now. . .

Last thing I did before I left. :D
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » August 26th, 2011, 10:21 pm

CathyCA wrote:My bathtub is full of water now. This preparation guarantees that we won't lose flushing power during the storm. I'm already burning candles to guarantee that we won't lose electricity. I have a stack of books and magazines to read. That should guarantee that we won't lose cable and internet. The freezer is full of frozen water bottles. All of that ice should guarantee that we won't lose any frozen food.

I too, am a victim of Murphy's law. :twitch:
I should always wear a rain suit when I want things to stay dry.
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
captmojo

Post by captmojo » August 26th, 2011, 10:24 pm

windsor wrote:

Wind is a bitch, but the storm surge is the real killer....a mile or two and a couple of feet in elevation can make all the difference.
To quote Ron White, "It's not that the wind is blowin'. It's what the wind is blowin'. If you get hit by a Volvo..."
:D
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » August 26th, 2011, 10:31 pm

Nothing hear. We only got a enough rain to wet the deck. :( That's OK, I'm glad the hurricane has weakened. :happy-bouncyblue:
captmojo

Post by captmojo » August 26th, 2011, 10:33 pm

Nearly all mass transit sources, in and around NYC are shutting down. Yet, the Giants and Jets are still on for a 2pm kickoff tomorrow. Is this preseason exhibition so necessary? :-?
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » August 26th, 2011, 10:44 pm

Christian and I have moved a mattress downstairs and I've put sheets on the sofa. There is no way I'm going to bed upstairs and having a tree (or four) fall through my roof while I'm asleep.

We're watching Skip Waters explain how the storm deteriorated a bit this afternoon with a band of dry air, and how the storm is reorganizing itself into a different shape with a re-formed "center core" or eye. He's also pointing out all of the tornadoes in the area. The rain is really pounding. Landfall should happen between 9 and noon tomorrow morning.

I'm so stressed. I'm so tired. I can't sleep. :-ss

~ James Naismith
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » August 26th, 2011, 10:46 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:

I have done none of those things. I also don't have any wasp nests to get rid of... :D
If I had purchased the Spectracide ahead of time, then I would have guaranteed that the wind and rain would knock the thing off of my house. But I didn't, so it and the wasps will remain after Irene has come and gone.

~ James Naismith
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » August 26th, 2011, 11:06 pm

Please send many CTN vibes and prayers for my 80 year old mom in Chesapeake, VA, and especially for my Uncle CB and Aunt Saundra, who have decided to ride the storm out at their home in Nags Head. :pray: :pray: :wizard: :wizard:
Iron Duke #1471997.
captmojo

Post by captmojo » August 26th, 2011, 11:08 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:Please send many CTN vibes and prayers for my 80 year old mom in Chesapeake, VA, and especially for my Uncle CB and Aunt Saundra, who have decided to ride the storm out at their home in Nags Head. :pray: :pray: :wizard: :wizard:
As we sit... :wizard: