The Job Search Thread

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

wilson
PWing School Professor

Re: The Job Search Thread

Post by wilson » May 13th, 2011, 9:56 pm

So sorry to hear your news, mojo. Seems like you and AD can really commiserate with regard to shitty management.
Perhaps we should start a club for unwillingly idle CTNers. 8-| :-??
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » May 13th, 2011, 10:01 pm

captmojo wrote:I've had too much to post. =))
Is that why you stopped drinking? =)) =)) =))
:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » May 13th, 2011, 10:12 pm

captmojo wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:Madison is out. I got a message today that thanked me for my application and informed me that the position was no longer available due to budget cuts. Sorry, Lavabe and devildeac, no beer for you!
Madison is in for me! Not the Wiscy one though. Beer for me! HOME. Vacationing, not by choice.
LAID OFF! I used to get laid off twice every year.Two weeks after July 4th for two weeks, and two weeks after Christmas for 2 weeks. That was long ago. Too much seniority for the past 10 years. But now? I know not what to do with myself. I haven't been laid off in 10 years.
Oh well.
They say it'll (business) come back in June. Hmmmm :-? That's when we expect a new labor contract. :-? again
We will see.
Bummer, Capt. Sorry to hear about this.
Iron Duke #1471997.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » May 13th, 2011, 10:14 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:Madison is out. I got a message today that thanked me for my application and informed me that the position was no longer available due to budget cuts. Sorry, Lavabe and devildeac, no beer for you!
AD, I'm sorry about the Wisconsin job no longer being an option. Still holding out for something more local to us! :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:
Iron Duke #1471997.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » May 13th, 2011, 10:18 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:
AD, I'm sorry about the Wisconsin job no longer being an option. Still holding out for something more local to us! :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:
I must say, something in the Triangle would be primo. Beggars can't be choosers, though.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » May 13th, 2011, 10:21 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:
lawgrad91 wrote:
I must say, something in the Triangle would be primo. Beggars can't be choosers, though.
Vibers can request specifics! :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :duke: :duke: :duke: :duke: :duke:
Iron Duke #1471997.
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » May 13th, 2011, 10:31 pm

Dang! Now it's the capt'n?! Looking forward to numerous and witty posts during your unfortunate vacation, however.
Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » May 13th, 2011, 10:59 pm

Uggh, Arkie. Sorry about Madison.

Uggh, Cap'n.

A good run of luck is bound to occur.
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » May 14th, 2011, 12:31 pm

Thanks for all the support. But right now, I suggest everyone concentrate the continued vibing for AD. The final answer for the situation I'm in, might in the end, be traced to a certain level of corporate bullshit. My employment status, at present, may very well be short-lived. ;) We will see.
Where I might only experience any pain, could come from my health insurance being cut off. COBRA for our insurance, exceeds $200/weekly.(plus one fully grown male child) :violin:
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » May 14th, 2011, 3:11 pm

captmojo wrote:Thanks for all the support. But right now, I suggest everyone concentrate the continued vibing for AD. The final answer for the situation I'm in, might in the end, be traced to a certain level of corporate bullshit. My employment status, at present, may very well be short-lived. ;) We will see.
Where I might only experience any pain, could come from my health insurance being cut off. COBRA for our insurance, exceeds $200/weekly.(plus one fully grown male child) :violin:
Thanks, capt! I'm still sending you vibes, whether you want them or not. ;)
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » May 14th, 2011, 3:16 pm

Another potential job popped up on the ASMS website. This one also fits my skill set: it's at the CDC in Atlanta. I'd be responsible for method development and training for the Laboratory Response Network (LRN). My last job was in a LRN lab. In other words, I could potentially end up in a job where I'd have to train Supervisor Barbie. :ymdevil:
-- Albert Einstein
DukePA
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by DukePA » May 14th, 2011, 4:10 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:Another potential job popped up on the ASMS website. This one also fits my skill set: it's at the CDC in Atlanta. I'd be responsible for method development and training for the Laboratory Response Network (LRN). My last job was in a LRN lab. In other words, I could potentially end up in a job where I'd have to train Supervisor Barbie. :ymdevil:
Oooh! You could take over the Atlanta Mafia!! Look out Earl Jam and Wilson!
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » May 14th, 2011, 4:17 pm

DukePA wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:Another potential job popped up on the ASMS website. This one also fits my skill set: it's at the CDC in Atlanta. I'd be responsible for method development and training for the Laboratory Response Network (LRN). My last job was in a LRN lab. In other words, I could potentially end up in a job where I'd have to train Supervisor Barbie. :ymdevil:
Oooh! You could take over the Atlanta Mafia!! Look out Earl Jam and Wilson!
Wow! You, EJ and Wilson :Pirate: could take over the world! :ymdevil:

Vibes for this opportunity. I like the idea of you training Supervisor Barbie. :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:
Iron Duke #1471997.
fordgrl00
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by fordgrl00 » May 14th, 2011, 7:23 pm

Continued vibes for job searching! May the two of you both find great jobs, in the mean time like the others said, enjoy your vacation. A break may be just what you need before starting the next job.

:wizard: :YMPRAY: :wizard: :YMPRAY: :wizard: :YMPRAY:
~Shelly
captmojo

Post by captmojo » May 14th, 2011, 9:12 pm

ArkieDukie wrote: Thanks, capt! I'm still sending you vibes, whether you want them or not. ;)
I gratefully accept any and all donations. :D
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » May 15th, 2011, 8:25 am

captmojo wrote:Thanks for all the support. But right now, I suggest everyone concentrate the continued vibing for AD. The final answer for the situation I'm in, might in the end, be traced to a certain level of corporate bullshit. My employment status, at present, may very well be short-lived. ;) We will see.

Here's the trick to Cobra...wait until the last possible day to say you want it...usually you'll have another 30-60 days to pay for it...wait until the last possible day to pay for it...if, during that time period, your need it...of course you pay up. That buys you 90+ days of coverage without up front costs.

During a period of unemployment I found it much cheaper to purchase a major medical type 'disaster' policy - I could afford normal medical expenses and scripts...the policy was to keep financial ruin at bay if someone got really sick.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » May 15th, 2011, 8:36 am

This is bringing flashbacks of my former commute. :ymblushing:
:wizard:

If you DO wind up getting this, that means you are definitely following me, as the last two places I lived were Atlanta and St. Louis. How soon before you move to the Land of the Lost? ;)
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
captmojo

Post by captmojo » May 16th, 2011, 10:43 am

My lay-off status didn't last 24 hours. Doesn't matter though. BUTT has yet to be repaired. So, I'm in waiting. :-w
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » May 16th, 2011, 1:24 pm

captmojo wrote:My lay-off status didn't last 24 hours. Doesn't matter though. BUTT has yet to be repaired. So, I'm in waiting. :-w
Congratulations on the job status. Phooey on the BUTT status.

“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » May 16th, 2011, 1:32 pm

captmojo wrote:My lay-off status didn't last 24 hours. Doesn't matter though. BUTT has yet to be repaired. So, I'm in waiting. :-w
When will the BUTT be up and running, so to speak?
Iron Duke #1471997.