an interesting dilemma...

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Re: an interesting dilemma...

Post by bjornolf » May 4th, 2011, 5:10 am

:wizard: :ymhug: :YMPRAY:

These people are clearly :joking: :joking: and your boss is the biggest :jester: of them all.

@};-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » May 4th, 2011, 9:42 am

bjornolf wrote::wizard: :ymhug: :YMPRAY:

These people are clearly :joking: :joking: and your boss is the biggest :jester: of them all.

@};-
What Bjornolf said!

Hang in there - the perfect job awaits.
Life is good!
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » May 4th, 2011, 9:54 am

My sympathies, for sure. :wizard:

I guess I'm now really wondering:
At what point is getting a letter of support from a data falsifier worth it?
:|
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » May 4th, 2011, 9:55 am

bjornolf wrote: :wizard: :ymhug: :YMPRAY:

@};-
To borrow a page from devildeac, I believe they're actually :obscene-buttred: :joking: :joking:
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 4th, 2011, 11:15 am

wilson wrote:

@};-
To borrow a page from devildeac, I believe they're actually :obscene-buttred: :joking: :joking:
Thanks for the credit, man. Unfortunately, those are the types of folks with whom AD is dealing. Sad.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » May 4th, 2011, 11:26 am

Oh WOW. Just WOW! You must really be looking forward to the morning you don't have to get up and go out to board this ship of fools!!! It would be nice to think this was the only ship of its kind out there. But, we all know its not. How will you make sure you aren't joining a similar crew the next time? Is there any way?

Keep coming here to vent. That's some of the best advice you've gotten on this board. Above all, you've GOT to keep your sanity!!! There IS a life hereafter and you want to rejoin it with your brain intact.

Love with ears on, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » May 4th, 2011, 2:33 pm

wilson wrote:To borrow a page from devildeac, I believe they're actually :obscene-buttred: :joking: :joking:
I thought it was :obscene-buttred: :o) :o)

@};-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » May 4th, 2011, 4:38 pm

Best of Luck!
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 4th, 2011, 5:21 pm

bjornolf wrote:
wilson wrote:To borrow a page from devildeac, I believe they're actually :obscene-buttred: :joking: :joking:
I thought it was :obscene-buttred: :o) :o)

@};-
That, too. I think either description/ASSortment of smileys fits AD's boss and the PI on her publication.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » May 4th, 2011, 6:38 pm

Lavabe wrote:My sympathies, for sure. :wizard:

I guess I'm now really wondering:
At what point is getting a letter of support from a data falsifier worth it?
:|
Not worth it to me. I no longer trust my boss. He is clearly throwing me under the bus to save his own hide on this and a couple of other projects.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » May 4th, 2011, 6:47 pm

wilson wrote:

@};-
I think that descriptor fits pretty well. Pushy PI has been a total buffoon about the whole thing. He is, in fact, backing his Minion (the data falsifier). In their minds, she did nothing wrong. He's one of those people who already knows what the answer is supposed to be and interprets the data accordingly without letting things like quality control get in the way. What really ticks me off is that my boss is, by all appearances, siding with them. It's all about the power structure.

Great quote that applies here, "If you torture your data long enough, it will confess."
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » May 4th, 2011, 7:02 pm

Ima Facultiwyfe wrote:Oh WOW. Just WOW! You must really be looking forward to the morning you don't have to get up and go out to board this ship of fools!!! It would be nice to think this was the only ship of its kind out there. But, we all know its not. How will you make sure you aren't joining a similar crew the next time? Is there any way?

Keep coming here to vent. That's some of the best advice you've gotten on this board. Above all, you've GOT to keep your sanity!!! There IS a life hereafter and you want to rejoin it with your brain intact.

Love with ears on, Ima
Thanks, Ima! You really hit the nail on the head. Yesterday's meeting was enough to really, really make me want a new job soon. I will have to be careful that I don't accept the first job offer I get just to get the heck out of Dodge. If the first job opportunity is the right one, that would be great. If that job presents itself within the next few weeks, even better. :ymdevil:

Either I'm really bad at picking jobs, or variations on the same person work everywhere. It's just a matter of how you deal with them. I've never dealt well with people who are inherently dishonest, and that seems to be the recurring theme in all my jobs. It seems as though the really dishonest people are the ones who are making their way up the food chain. That's not going to change, so I need to - not by becoming like the dishonest people, but by learning how to work around them.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » May 6th, 2011, 9:15 pm

I'm so lucky - I have to opportunity to enjoy twice-weekly meetings with Pushy PI and The Minion. From today's meeting: my results didn't match The Minion's because she used additional data that she didn't give me the first time around. As an added bonus, she included data that wasn't in the main body of work that was used in the paper. They want to include it now. WTF??!!!! That's called CYA in my opinion. Her story has changed so many times now that I've lost count. In fact, this one is so transparent that I can't believe she and Pushy PI believe I'm stupid enough to fall for it. My boss is still humoring them, amazingly. Being too PC to tick off Pushy PI the Powermonger Dept Chair, he's not going to call it for what it really is: a desperate attempt to cover up data falsification.

After our meeting today, once Pushy PI had left (he and my boss had their now popular closed-door session after our meeting), I went in and gave my boss a heads-up on future attractions. Their next manuscript also features some very important data that The Minion lied to her boss about. My speech consisted of, "I told her it was wrong, she presented it to her boss anyway, just like she did with half the data in this manuscript." I'm not sure he actually listened to me, but he can't say I didn't warn him.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » May 6th, 2011, 11:49 pm

I just discovered that I was majorly stabbed in the back. In today's meeting, I discovered that The Minion had sent the final data for the manuscript to my boss for his approval. I was not included on the distribution list. After insisting that I needed to see it in order to finish what I was working on,I got the data from her late this afternoon. The F***ing B**** included some data that I had tossed. In addition, SHE is finalizing the data for the manuscript over the weekend. I think my boss has to be in on it. I think it's time to ask for my name to be removed from the manuscript. I haven't seen the final draft, and I think I know why now. Lying bastards. To say that I am beyond livid is an understatement of epic proportions. X( X( X( X( X( X( X( X( X( X( X( X( X(
-- Albert Einstein
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » May 6th, 2011, 11:56 pm

I'm sorry you are in this position. I am immediately sending pointy toed shin kicks toward all 3 parties - PI, Minion, and boss. They are all jerks and their "fudging" (to be nice) of the data will be exposed. If you can get your name off the paper, I think you should. Mind you, I'm an accountant and don't know your profession. However, integrity is never out of style. You need to be able to look yourself in the eye every morning so go with what will allow you to do that.

More shin kicks heading their way.
Life is good!
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » May 7th, 2011, 7:12 am

ArkieDukie wrote:I just discovered that I was majorly stabbed in the back. In today's meeting, I discovered that The Minion had sent the final data for the manuscript to my boss for his approval. I was not included on the distribution list. After insisting that I needed to see it in order to finish what I was working on,I got the data from her late this afternoon. The F***ing B**** included some data that I had tossed. In addition, SHE is finalizing the data for the manuscript over the weekend. I think my boss has to be in on it. I think it's time to ask for my name to be removed from the manuscript. I haven't seen the final draft, and I think I know why now. Lying bastards. To say that I am beyond livid is an understatement of epic proportions. X( X( X( X( X( X( X( X( X( X( X( X( X(
Does your company, in general, have integrity? Or do they claim to in their prospectus? Can you go to their upper level management, several levels above those you are now dealing with and tell them what these people are doing? THEY may actually care, enough to look into it and put a stop to it. Maybe even the legal department. Of course, if you do this, a couple of things probably would happen. You'd A) find yourself out the door. B) you'd find yourself with a major promotion and a company hero. If A), you could also find yourself blacklisted as a troublemaker in your industry so you might need to give this course of action some thought before you act. But I would hope that the result would be A and not B.
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » May 7th, 2011, 7:34 am

Calmly ask for your name to be removed from the manuscript.

Don't give them any reasons. Just ask.

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » May 7th, 2011, 8:46 am

CathyCA wrote:Calmly ask for your name to be removed from the manuscript.

Don't give them any reasons. Just ask.

:9f:
I'm working on a draft of a letter that does just that, but it does say the reason that want my name removed. I also say that I want to be removed permanently from this PI's project and am willing to take a salary cut to do so (remember that the scumbag pays a % of my salary).

You know what would be really fun, but would cause a huge firestorm of trouble? "Upon the advice of legal counsel, I respectfully request that my name be removed from this manuscript." :ymdevil:
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » May 7th, 2011, 8:58 am

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:I just discovered that I was majorly stabbed in the back. In today's meeting, I discovered that The Minion had sent the final data for the manuscript to my boss for his approval. I was not included on the distribution list. After insisting that I needed to see it in order to finish what I was working on,I got the data from her late this afternoon. The F***ing B**** included some data that I had tossed. In addition, SHE is finalizing the data for the manuscript over the weekend. I think my boss has to be in on it. I think it's time to ask for my name to be removed from the manuscript. I haven't seen the final draft, and I think I know why now. Lying bastards. To say that I am beyond livid is an understatement of epic proportions. X( X( X( X( X( X( X( X( X( X( X( X( X(
Does your company, in general, have integrity? Or do they claim to in their prospectus? Can you go to their upper level management, several levels above those you are now dealing with and tell them what these people are doing? THEY may actually care, enough to look into it and put a stop to it. Maybe even the legal department. Of course, if you do this, a couple of things probably would happen. You'd A) find yourself out the door. B) you'd find yourself with a major promotion and a company hero. If A), you could also find yourself blacklisted as a troublemaker in your industry so you might need to give this course of action some thought before you act. But I would hope that the result would be A and not B.
I hope you mean B but not A. ;) We actually do have an academic integrity office (or something like that). I have not ruled that out, but I would have to tread carefully. Remember, I've already effectively been fired over this particular project. If I do ask to have my name removed and they refuse, that will be my next stop.

My course of action from here will be dependent upon the response to a message I sent to my boss, in which I state that I found a spectrum in The Minion's data set that I had discarded and ask for a course of action. I am pretending to go on the assumption that he's been duped as well, but I'm fairly certain he's complicit. I want to get IN WRITING that he agreed to include this data. I will likely not get a response, as I did not get a response yesterday when I sent a message, asking if we really wanted to have a known data falsifier be the one who gives final determination for what goes into the manuscript.
-- Albert Einstein
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » May 7th, 2011, 10:57 am

ArkieDukie wrote:You know what would be really fun, but would cause a huge firestorm of trouble? "Upon the advice of legal counsel, I respectfully request that my name be removed from this manuscript." :ymdevil:
I think you really should do this. It's not a lie, as Cathy and lawgrad have been legitimately counseling you here. It is a perfectly reasonable expression of your misgivings regarding the whole shitstorm. And lastly, it would scare them into realizing that they're effing with the wrong person, and that at the very least, they should make it their business to make your transition to a better job elsewhere as smooth and hassle-free as possible.