Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

DukePA
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Re: My Life in a Nutshell

Post by DukePA » February 14th, 2011, 3:29 pm

Go Wilson!! :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:
Here are few Interview Vibes, ((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((( )))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
:wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » February 14th, 2011, 3:59 pm

Great, Wilson. :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :wizard: :wizard: Have some vibes! :wizard: :wizard:

(and a :9f: for good measure)
Iron Duke #1471997.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » February 14th, 2011, 4:14 pm

Wilson, that is great news. When these people meet you face to face, they will be blown away. You'll have your dream job in no time.

Congratulations!
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » February 14th, 2011, 5:53 pm

Very good news!!! I know your interview will go very well. Here's more vibes for you. :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » February 14th, 2011, 7:34 pm

wilson wrote:Update: A couple of weeks ago, on a tip from an old friend who teaches in an independent high school here in Atlanta, I submitted my application materials to a head-hunting firm of sorts who keeps a roster of would-be teachers and matches them up with independent schools throughout the southeast.
Initially, they told me they didn't think I was a good fit. I think it had a lot to do with the fact that my academic interests (and my first master's degree) are rather more focused than most (my ECU M.A. is in Maritime Studies). They initially told me that they had an appeals process which I was welcome to go through, but that they almost always stand by their initial appraisals of candidates.
I shared this information with my friend who had recommended this firm in the first place, and he was borderline incensed, and promised to make a couple of calls to some people he knew there. Not long thereafter, I got an email from their Director of Teacher Placement, who told me that it was very rare for a former client (my friend in this case) to reach out to them and encourage them to reconsider a decision, so they wanted to hear directly from me about my qualifications and ambitions, in something of an unconventional bypassing of the usual appeals process. I replied last Monday morning with a thorough, impassioned summary of who I am and what I want to be as an educator.
This morning, I called in to check on the status of my application. When I got through to the Director of Teacher Placement, she said, "This is so weird. I'm sitting here right now with your file open, and I was just about to email you and tell you that we've changed our minds and added you to our roster of candidates."
So now I have an appointment for tomorrow to discuss my professional profile in more depth with one of this firm's employment officers, and I'm working on plans to go to D.C. next week for their annual convention. Given the chance to avail myself of their considerable resources and connections, and to put my face with my name and profile, I'm really feeling confident about my chances of finding good employment.
Another good lesson learned in persistence, self-confidence, faith, and the power of good friends.
:happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:
That's fabulous news, wilson! Vibes for tomorrow's appointment. Can't wait to hear how it goes! :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :Pirate: :AR!
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » February 14th, 2011, 7:40 pm

So proud of ya, Wilson! Are you wearing a pirate suit to your interview? It would sure get their attention!!! You'll do great. Your enthusiasm is bubbling over and will be an inspiration.

Love, Ima
PS Vibing hard.
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » February 14th, 2011, 8:23 pm

Great news, sir.
I have full confidence in your abilities to perform well in that interview.
Best wishes!
:happy-bouncyblue: :wizard: :-BD
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
DevilAlumna
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by DevilAlumna » February 15th, 2011, 12:11 am

This story just keeps getting better. Best of luck with the future interviews! :happy-bouncyblue: :wizard:
shereec
PWing School Professor

Post by shereec » February 15th, 2011, 6:31 am

Sending vibes in your direction - Go, Wilson, Go!
:wizard: :wizard: :wizard:
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » February 15th, 2011, 7:23 am

Sending good thoughts and prayers your way today, Wilson! Go get 'em!

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » February 23rd, 2011, 8:08 am

I'm off to DC this afternoon, a'hunting for a job. Update on Friday.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » February 23rd, 2011, 8:10 am

wilson wrote:I'm off to DC this afternoon, a'hunting for a job. Update on Friday.
The last Duke game I watched in DC was also against Temple, in early 2001 (we actually played Temple twice that season). That time, I was in town to cover the Duke women's game vs. George Mason for the Chronicle.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » February 23rd, 2011, 8:29 am

wilson wrote:The last Duke game I watched in DC was also against Temple, in early 2001 (we actually played Temple twice that season).
Scratch that; it was actually late 2000, December 2 to be exact. Same season though, and we did play Temple twice that year, within a span of 8 days...once in the NIT final (63-61 Devils), then the regularly scheduled game in December (93-68 Devils).
I remember there being a lot of hand-wringing on campus regarding the fact that we'd defeated the Owls so narrowly in the NIT, and people thought we might lose the game the next week. So much for that, and that damned Bill Cosby.*

*This is only a joke. I actually flippin' love Bill Cosby.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » February 23rd, 2011, 8:53 am

wilson wrote:I'm off to DC this afternoon, a'hunting for a job. Update on Friday.
Awesome, if you get it, I'm visiting.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » February 23rd, 2011, 9:07 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
Awesome, if you get it, I'm visiting.
Well, this actually isn't just for a job in DC. It's a whole fair, hosted by the head-hunting firm who first rejected me, then reconsidered. I'll be talking with people from schools in 10-12 southeastern states (which of course makes the odds drastically better). I'm really hoping to have a solid lead or two, if not an outright job, upon my return on Friday.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » February 23rd, 2011, 9:08 am

:wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: Good luck at the job fair! :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.
robertduke32
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by robertduke32 » February 24th, 2011, 9:38 am

Good Luck and many vibes for you!!!

:wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 24th, 2011, 10:09 am

wilson wrote:
wilson wrote:The last Duke game I watched in DC was also against Temple, in early 2001 (we actually played Temple twice that season).
Scratch that; it was actually late 2000, December 2 to be exact. Same season though, and we did play Temple twice that year, within a span of 8 days...once in the NIT final (63-61 Devils), then the regularly scheduled game in December (93-68 Devils).
I remember there being a lot of hand-wringing on campus regarding the fact that we'd defeated the Owls so narrowly in the NIT, and people thought we might lose the game the next week. So much for that, and that damned Bill Cosby.*

*This is only a joke. I actually flippin' love Bill Cosby.
Jel-lo pud-ding, clap, clap, clap/clap/clap.

One of the better cheers ever in CIS. :D
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » February 28th, 2011, 4:29 pm

Last week's "job fair" was underwhelming, to the point of being almost a misnomer. However, I did interview with a couple of people and get my name on several radar screens. I had another meeting with my favorite former teacher this morning, who gave me some very honest, yet frank (and a little sobering) advice.
Irons in the fire, but nothing cooking yet. The search goes on.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » March 3rd, 2011, 9:02 am

I know that these kinds of requests have been flying fast and furious 'round these parts of late, but I've got a very promising lead on a very good job, and would like to humbly request another dose of CTN vibes.
^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^