Lavabe's Madagascar 2009 Lemur Thread

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Re: Salegy

Post by Lavabe » June 11th, 2009, 5:42 am

As I sit here having lunch on the terrace of the Hotel Paradis du Nord, there's a big concert/dance promo going on in the market out here, featuring popular salegy music. Think of intense dance/party music, with lots of hip/backside shaking for everyone. Wildly popular. Probably the most famous salegy music star here would be Jaojoby (pronounced Joe-joe'-bee). Now the most popular group here is called WAWA (which is interesting, because there is no W in Malagasy).
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Salegy

Post by CathyCA » June 11th, 2009, 8:06 am

Lavabe wrote:As I sit here having lunch on the terrace of the Hotel Paradis du Nord, there's a big concert/dance promo going on in the market out here, featuring popular salegy music. Think of intense dance/party music, with lots of hip/backside shaking for everyone. Wildly popular. Probably the most famous salegy music star here would be Jaojoby (pronounced Joe-joe'-bee). Now the most popular group here is called WAWA (which is interesting, because there is no W in Malagasy).
Is WAWA taking its cue from the artist formerly known as Prince? We don't have that symbol in the English language.

Does Malagasy have the W sound? Would it be made like "ou?"

I found this video of WAWA on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhFv1QH8tuU His music sounds similar to Zydeco music.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Slapstick in Madagascar

Post by Lavabe » June 12th, 2009, 12:03 pm

So I'm sitting here eating dinner, and the Malagasy TV is suddenly blaring:
WHO LET THE DOGS OUT? WHO... WHO... WHO ...etc...

Now besides thinking WHO LET JAMAL OUT, I couldn't figure out why the song suddenly appeared here. It was some slapstick short about a Malagasy man afraid of dogs. SO, now I have an earworm. THANKS!

FWIW, dogs are viewed much differently from the way they are in the US. Dogs are truly low animals. The thought that anyone would pay a lot of attention to them is repulsive to many folks here. But many DO recognize the differences between dogs elsewhere and Malagasy dogs. I have to watch where (or to whom) I show photos of my daughter hugging Georgia.
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

LeoDiCaprio as Romeo

Post by Lavabe » June 12th, 2009, 12:10 pm

Just watched with the English students their film club presentation/discussion of Romeo & Juliet, starring Leo DiCaprio, set in VERONA BEACH.

What a wacky version of R&J. Still getting over the choir singing Prince's WHEN DOVES CRY.
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Re: LeoDiCaprio as Romeo

Post by TillyGalore » June 12th, 2009, 12:20 pm

Lavabe wrote:Just watched with the English students their film club presentation/discussion of Romeo & Juliet, starring Leo DiCaprio, set in VERONA BEACH.

What a wacky version of R&J. Still getting over the choir singing Prince's WHEN DOVES CRY.

Now THAT IS an earworm.

:-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\
I worship the Blue Devil!
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Slapstick in Madagascar

Post by devildeac » June 13th, 2009, 12:38 am

Lavabe wrote:So I'm sitting here eating dinner, and the Malagasy TV is suddenly blaring:
WHO LET THE DOGS OUT? WHO... WHO... WHO ...etc...

Now besides thinking WHO LET JAMAL OUT, I couldn't figure out why the song suddenly appeared here. It was some slapstick short about a Malagasy man afraid of dogs. SO, now I have an earworm. THANKS!

FWIW, dogs are viewed much differently from the way they are in the US. Dogs are truly low animals. The thought that anyone would pay a lot of attention to them is repulsive to many folks here. But many DO recognize the differences between dogs elsewhere and Malagasy dogs. I have to watch where (or to whom) I show photos of my daughter hugging Georgia.
Do they qualify as food or delicacies there? :oops: :lol:
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Lavabe's Madagascar 2009 Lemur Thread

Post by Lavabe » June 13th, 2009, 10:31 am

Went to see some friends in Joffreville, the town next to the entrance to Mt. d'Ambre National Park, where I did my doctoral work on lemurs. I've posted on Facebook a few photos from the visit today. I love my new camera equipment.
EarlJam
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by EarlJam » June 15th, 2009, 1:53 pm

Lavabe wrote:Went to see some friends in Joffreville, the town next to the entrance to Mt. d'Ambre National Park, where I did my doctoral work on lemurs. I've posted on Facebook a few photos from the visit today. I love my new camera equipment.

BEN! Just checking in to wish you well! Greetings! I was helping a friend chop down some bamboo yesterday in his backyard and told him about your exploits. He was quite amazed. You have created quite the awesome life for yourself. Stay safe, stay well friend.

-EarlJam
Your mama wears combat boots to bed.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Re: What's in a name?

Post by Lavabe » June 15th, 2009, 3:22 pm

Not too many exploits this year, just yet. The fun begins 6/27, with the surveys of the arid Cap d'Ambre. That will last about a week. Then we'll go out for another 7-10 days to the northern part of the region west of Mt. d'Ambre. Just checking out all the sacred forests I can. The next trip after that will be the killer one for two weeks, including a place called the Cap St. Sebastian, whose only access is to walk across a beach, without looking behind, while wearing a traditional Malagasy lamba.

I have begun my campaign to rename my dissertation field work site in Mt. d'Ambre. It was originally called Ampamelonabe. After I finished work, the people renamed it Camp Ben. Now I am trying to blend the two, but to give the Malagasy precedence in the name. I'm pushing for Ampamelonaben... the local folks seem up for it, and appreciative.

My conversation with the Beach Resort guy went very well, and I will pass by his site, even though it looks like only one of the two species I study is found there.

In the meantime, I am enjoying teaching at the university. The students really do try. Likewise, one major difference in attitude between the US & Malagasy students... Malagasy students generally don't complain about their grades, unless there's just some bizarre miscalculation. I'm teaching a 3 week course module on anthropological approaches to primate conservation. The students are good, as they can relate the discussions to what they see around them.

Cheers,
Lavabe
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » June 15th, 2009, 3:28 pm

Lavabe, what is the weather like? I thought it was going to be really hot, then realized you're south of the equator. :D
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » June 15th, 2009, 3:41 pm

TillyGalore wrote:Lavabe, what is the weather like? I thought it was going to be really hot, then realized you're south of the equator. :D
In Diego, it's been highs in the 90's everyday. Right now at 1030PM, it's 87 degrees, and FREAKIN' hot in the room, as the power has been on and off all evening.

Remember, I am reasonably close to the equator, so it isn't cold at this time of the year. If I go up in 900-1000 meters in altitude, say to Mt. d'Ambre, shed 10-15 degrees off the highs. Surveying in Cap d'Ambre will be a bear, as there is hardly any cover and fresh water. Lots of heat, radiation, and wind... that means trouble.

On the other hand, one of my friends is going to be surveying ringtailed lemurs in southern Madagascar, at about 2300 meters in altitude... and freezing temperatures. That's much closer to the southern limits of the tropics.
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » June 15th, 2009, 3:49 pm

Lavabe wrote:
TillyGalore wrote:Lavabe, what is the weather like? I thought it was going to be really hot, then realized you're south of the equator. :D
In Diego, it's been highs in the 90's everyday. Right now at 1030PM, it's 87 degrees, and FREAKIN' hot in the room, as the power has been on and off all evening.

Remember, I am reasonably close to the equator, so it isn't cold at this time of the year. If I go up in 900-1000 meters in altitude, say to Mt. d'Ambre, shed 10-15 degrees off the highs. Surveying in Cap d'Ambre will be a bear, as there is hardly any cover and fresh water. Lots of heat, radiation, and wind... that means trouble.

On the other hand, one of my friends is going to be surveying ringtailed lemurs in southern Madagascar, at about 2300 meters in altitude... and freezing temperatures. That's much closer to the southern limits of the tropics.
I should have stuck to my gut. Sending you cooling vibes. ;) ;)
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Re: What's in a name?

Post by ArkieDukie » June 16th, 2009, 10:58 pm

Lavabe wrote:Not too many exploits this year, just yet. The fun begins 6/27, with the surveys of the arid Cap d'Ambre. That will last about a week. Then we'll go out for another 7-10 days to the northern part of the region west of Mt. d'Ambre. Just checking out all the sacred forests I can. The next trip after that will be the killer one for two weeks, including a place called the Cap St. Sebastian, whose only access is to walk across a beach, without looking behind, while wearing a traditional Malagasy lamba.

I have begun my campaign to rename my dissertation field work site in Mt. d'Ambre. It was originally called Ampamelonabe. After I finished work, the people renamed it Camp Ben. Now I am trying to blend the two, but to give the Malagasy precedence in the name. I'm pushing for Ampamelonaben... the local folks seem up for it, and appreciative.

My conversation with the Beach Resort guy went very well, and I will pass by his site, even though it looks like only one of the two species I study is found there.

In the meantime, I am enjoying teaching at the university. The students really do try. Likewise, one major difference in attitude between the US & Malagasy students... Malagasy students generally don't complain about their grades, unless there's just some bizarre miscalculation. I'm teaching a 3 week course module on anthropological approaches to primate conservation. The students are good, as they can relate the discussions to what they see around them.

Cheers,
Lavabe
Wow - no whining about grades? You're in teaching utopia! :)
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » June 17th, 2009, 4:20 am

I got an facebook message from Ben tonight saying that when he tried to post on CT, he was told he was banned to due his IP address being recognized from spamhaus as a spammer's IP. Hopefully he will be able to get back to posting, but if he's posting from a public address it's probably an IP with lots of viruses and thus spam. My computer shop has the same issue from time to time where our email is rejected and we have to reconvince spamhaus that we are not spammers. As far as CT's records show, Lavabe is an active unbanned user, so I'm not sure where the actual block is coming from.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
EarlJam

Post by EarlJam » June 17th, 2009, 10:48 am

Lavabe wrote:
Surveying in Cap d'Ambre will be a bear, as there is hardly any cover and fresh water. Lots of heat, radiation, and wind... that means trouble.

That's nothing man. Yesterday, I spent six hours writing two memos that, I'm told, were two of the best memos ever written here. Two hours into it, I got writers cramp but luckily I worked my way through it. Then, I put together a PowerPoint presentation for an insurance company. The images were outstanding. I was so busy I only had time for a pack of Nip Chee and a Coke for lunch. Today, I have three spreadsheets to update then I'm headed home to watch The Family Feud. Ohhhhhhhhhhh the stories I will have to tell my nieces and nephews when they get older.

Seriously, you rock man. I know it's very hard work, but the stories are just awesome.

-EJ
Your mama wears combat boots to bed.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » June 18th, 2009, 9:41 am

Oh please, let this message go through....
Pretty please...

And happy belated birthday wishes to devildeac!

From lovely Housseni.com in Antsiranana, Madagascar on my laptop,
Lavabe
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » June 18th, 2009, 9:56 am

Lavabe wrote:Oh please, let this message go through....
Pretty please...

And happy belated birthday wishes to devildeac!

From lovely Housseni.com in Antsiranana, Madagascar on my laptop,
Lavabe

It worked it worked! Your back! Welcome back Mr. Lavabe, we've missed you! :))
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » June 18th, 2009, 10:06 am

So clearly, the problem lies with the IP address provided by my ISP, Orange (a large French telecommunications company). I am able to post messages through my laptop when I am connected to the wireless at Housseni.com, the largest cibercafe in Antsiranana. I have an appointment tomorrow afternoon with the technical person at Orange. Maybe THAT will resolve the issues. Thanks to Chris, Sue, and ILJ for helping with this issue.

CBaB: Technically the message was not that I was banned (that has connotations from a place yonder). The actual term used was "blacklisted." I am just happy that there's no virus or trojan coming from my computer. I am also happy that CTN uses the filter that it does. If I can just get Orange to make an adjustment tomorrow, that would be great.

In other news:
1) Had an EXTREMELY productive meeting with the Dean of Sciences, an ecotourism prof, and a biology prof this morning. I will try to post photos on FB of the university. Keep in mind that this is a developing country, and is unlike any university in the US in terms of resources. They are, however, putting up what looks to be a set of new dorms with the most fantastic view in Antsiranana. Slowly, improvements are coming, but they ARE coming.
2) The weight loss watch: I started in May at 263 lbs, left the US on 5/30 at 254 lbs. On 6/17, I weighed in at 234 lbs. A lot of it is restricting my intake to just healthful food, sans snacking. You don't realize how much food we have available in the US until you work in this sort of place. I like to think that some of the weight loss is that I really do feel a constant adrenaline rush over here as my mind races with ideas. I think there's something to it. Maybe part of it is the fact that I get to eat a LOT of papaya here. These are the big mother papayas that cost 99 cents a pound in the US (roughly $2 each), but which cost like 25 cents each over here. Papayas are among the most healthful fruits around, and they help stomach issues (as ILJ can testify). I routinely have more citronelle (lemongrass) tea, papayas, and veggies; I take in less starch and meat. Then again, I can also guess that I may have some parasite in me. My guess is that it's a combination of all of the above. And we haven't gotten to the backpacking season yet.
3) San Diego Rock Cafe, which used to have hamburgers, is now called the Diego Pasta Cafe, sans hamburgers. HOWEVER, one block down from it are two pizza places where you can order and take home your own pizza. At one of them you CAN get a decent hamburger..
4) Yogurt: I found a good Indian/Pakistani restaurant and yogurt shop. GOOOOD food, but even better yogurt. I will try out their chicken biryani on Sunday.

Hope all's well with everyone. We will see what happens with ORANGE tomorrow.
CHEERS,
Lavabe
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » June 18th, 2009, 1:29 pm

...when you return write a book about he Lavabe Diet...including fresh papaya etc and make millions. You can use the millions to fund conservation efforts (after spoiling yourself, ILJ and LL of course!) $-) $-)

Fresh fruits and veggies...little meat little starch...no wonder you are dropping pounds! Maybe I should make a trip to Madagascar to vanquish 'The Twenty That Will Not Leave'. =))

You said you felt like you were on a constant adrenlin rush over there...we can tell. The energy comes through in your writing -each of us should be so lucky as to find something about which we are as passionate!

What was the (extremely) productive meeting with the Dean of Sciences, an ecotourism prof, and a biology prof about?

Since you with there for you doctoral work hasa the area become more 'westernized'? Pizza probably isn't a traditional dish in that part of the world. How about technology - obviously cyber cafes - what about cell phones et al?

Keep the updates coming....I really enjoy them!
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » June 19th, 2009, 9:06 am

Let's see if I can get to most of windsor's points.

Umm, I saw lots of globalization in Antsiranana in 2004. There's a lot more now, as evidenced by my internet provider, Orange (French), and the large oil/gasoline company, Total. Most hotels and many families have satellite feeds for their tv's, so that allows me to keep up with French TV (okay, I'll admit that I love watching CSI: Miami, aka Les Experts: Miami, to see the dubbing in French). And the large hotel downtown, Le Grande Hotel, is full services that you expect in most good hotels in the US or Europe. As for pizzas, there are five or six places that make European style pizzas, including carry-out. So the signs in Antsiranana are of encroaching globalization.

But it ain't THAT globalized. I'll try to take photos this weekend... including the pirate photos, just for wilson. :ar!

It's still the 3rd or 4th largest city in Madagascar, a developing country, as the photos from the university next week will show. There's a lot of poverty, but amidst that, there's no loss of self-respect. The people are immensely proud, and their courtesy and zest for life is always present. Westerners can get frustrated here, as things take time to work. The phrase local to Antsiranana is "Moramora!" (pronounced Moo-rah-MOO-rah). It literally means "slowly," but the implied meaning here is "slowly, but surely."

As for the diet ... well, I may have caught another bug, but it may simply be my gut flora going through a change. It happens when you don't eat much dairy for a while, start taking daily antibiotics (malaria prophylaxis), and ingest different things all at once. The good news is that I found a good yogurt shop, so I am downing large amounts of yogurt to build up my gut flora again. I know, yogurt is a topic to be discussed on the LTE, but well, this is the Antsiranana/lemur thread, so I'm allowed a little leeway.

I'll try to get down a little more weight before the backpacking begins, maybe 6 or 7 pounds this next week, instead of the 10 pound weekly loss. Once the backpacking starts, the diet changes again (loads of rice and beans, a little meat, and it looks like seafood... if we find enough fishing villages near our campsites). The vegetable/fruit intake will go way down. I still have a spare tire, but all indications are that ILJ should again expect to find this year the same 195 lb guy at the airport that she found in 2004. That would be 60 pounds in 10 weeks, if all goes according to plan. As I write this, I can hear someone saying "The Biggest Loser: Madagascar Edition."

More on the research, teaching, and the meetings tomorrow. I have to go get some yogurt now.
Cheers,
Lavabe