Who likes "lemur monkeys"? We ALL do!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Re: Who likes "lemur monkeys"? We ALL do!

Post by ArkieDukie » May 24th, 2009, 8:24 am

wilson wrote:
Lavabe wrote: How much will y'all give me if I sneak a smiley into my dissertation?

Not much, unless it's this one: :ar!

I assume that you've already used "walk the plank" or "Aaaargh!" ;)
Well, somehow I don't think html code will really be available for my dissertation, so the above won't really work.

Side note that you'll all appreciate: unc Press is pretty renowned for its colonial/early American history publications, so I read tons of books from there. I've written "Chapel Hell, NC: University of North Carolina Press" in at least one footnote in every paper I've written since I started graduate school. Only one professor has ever caught it (or at least, he's the only one who ever said anything about it).
That's great, Wilson! You're my hero! ^:)^ :ar! :D
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Lavabe to have own lemur thread

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 24th, 2009, 9:45 am

Wow, this thread got way off topic, I hadn't been paying attention after Lavabe's nice post about his take on the "lemur monkey". When Lavabe embarks to Madagascar, he's going to have his own lemur thread here (a new one). It will be for him to post what's going on, and for any of us to ask any questions. His students also might be checking in on it for educational purposes. When that thread goes up, it is going to be heavily moderated, as in we are going to keep it strictly on topic. So no offense in advance when various silly comments are deleted. I'm looking forward to that thread going active, hopefully every one else will be as well.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » May 24th, 2009, 9:49 am

I'm looking forward to that thread as well. I promise that I'll keep it professional. Still, I'm hoping for some news from my fat-tailed dwarf lemur sisters. . .
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Re: Lavabe to have own lemur thread

Post by TillyGalore » May 24th, 2009, 10:17 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:Wow, this thread got way off topic, I hadn't been paying attention after Lavabe's nice post about his take on the "lemur monkey". When Lavabe embarks to Madagascar, he's going to have his own lemur thread here (a new one). It will be for him to post what's going on, and for any of us to ask any questions. His students also might be checking in on it for educational purposes. When that thread goes up, it is going to be heavily moderated, as in we are going to keep it strictly on topic. So no offense in advance when various silly comments are deleted. I'm looking forward to that thread going active, hopefully every one else will be as well.

Excellent idea! Not just that Lavabe has his own lemur thread for us to follow his adventures, but also that it will be moderated to keep on topic.

I'm so excited for Lavabe's trip.
I worship the Blue Devil!
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 24th, 2009, 1:58 pm

Lavabe wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote:At least I was close on her name! Mary Kay Letourneau.
At least on this board, you're allowed to be close on a name without fear of flames/insults. ;)
An EXCELLENT point.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » May 24th, 2009, 3:27 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
bjornolf wrote: Like, while it's illegal, most people don't seem to think that female teachers that sleep with their male students are nearly as gross or disturbing as male teachers that sleep with their female students
Mary Jo Laterno might disagree with you about society thinking it's OK, as she spent how long in jail for sleeping with her "student"? Of course, she's now been married to him for several years and has a couple of kids with him. She was in the news the other day for something, although I have no idea what and don't care to look it up.
Like I said, it's still illegal and you can still go to prison for it. I'm just saying the average schmoe on the street doesn't see it as being nearly as oogie or gross or skeevy. That's all.

That said, I'll be good when the "real" lemur thread get's going. ;)

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by cl15876 » May 25th, 2009, 6:42 pm

wilson wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote: You'd have to get through bunchofnumbers first! ;)
But he (no offense, cl) doesn't qualify her as a cougar. And I'd go up against him in a cook-off any day too, not to mention a Scrabble match. ;)
Oh MY, been offline for a couple of days and see what I miss! :-o Although not timely, but couldn't pass up the reply, I must say, First, OZ, words spoken from a wise man!; Secondly, Wilson, No offense taken!; Thirdly, I must concur with the unstated observation and I imagine your cooking is as delicious as your dimples :D and I do admire the zealousness of positivity and anticipated victory in your reply, however, with age comes wisdom and many lessons to be learned and I suspect in conclusion, that a few more things are yet to be learned (TIP: always remember that), thus I am glad you don't live in Greenville any longer as well!!! ;)
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » May 26th, 2009, 8:51 am

Did any catch The Link on the history channel last night? They were analyzing the 'lemur monkey' fossil. Fascinating stuff - plus great PR for the Duke Lemur Center (they did not show the lasers). I wish I could have watched it with Lavabe as I'm sure he would have had great insight!
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Re: New extinct lemur discovery

Post by Lavabe » May 26th, 2009, 3:07 pm

Although a little too technical an article, paleontologists just discovered yet another extinct lemur:
http://www.physorg.com/news162565443.html

Cheers,
Lavabe
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » May 26th, 2009, 3:30 pm

wilson wrote: How much will y'all give me if I sneak a smiley into my dissertation?

If you just put the punctuation in they might think it was simply a typo. Only the most web savvy of profs would know what it really was. And, if you used the pirate smiley, even a media savvy prof might not realize what it was.
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------