Vibes for College Apps!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Native
Part Time Student at PWing school

Re: Vibes for College Apps!

Post by Native » August 18th, 2010, 11:36 pm

bluebutton wrote:I agree with the others that on paper you really don't have anything going against you. You know you need to work on the SAT/ACT and I'm sure you will.

Since you're also going to apply to Stanford, I'll say that I sent basically the same application to Stanford and Duke and I got rejected to Stanford and I got an AB Duke scholarship to attend Duke. The folk on this board can give you lots of advice and definitely encouragement, but I feel there's a crap shoot element you can't control. So kinda keep that tucked in the back of your mind.

That said, after I arrived at Duke, I read applications that were sent to the AB Duke office for vetting. Honestly, as a reader I assumed that the admissions office had already vetted for good grades and extracurriculars. I pretty much focused on the essay and recommendations to set students apart. If you can get out of the world recommendations (not that you have a ton of control over that), and really nail the essay I think you could probably catch the eye of one of the scholarships committees. Read their websites http://www.aas.duke.edu/ousf/ and maybe something will fit.

Good luck!! :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:
Great advice! I realize that there is a crapshoot element at the core of this whole process -- I know I'll have plenty of options, I just hope they're the ones I want. :YMPRAY:

I'd like to think I can get very good recommendations -- principals aren't necessarily known for writing them -- and he'll write me a good one. My AP History teacher -- a Duke grad -- wrote a girl one that got sent back from Georgia Tech with rave reviews, and my grandfather who teaches at Duke is writing a personal letter as well. So, that's got to count for something! :) Also, my guidance counselor is a Duke grad. Do you guys think it's wise to have as many Duke graduates write my recommendations as possible? They'll know what the experience at Duke is like and will be able to relate my application to it, but would diversification look better?

I hope I can get some scholarship money as well -- I'm not looking for a full ride (although, that would be fantastic!) but there is also a financial element to this that, like the admissions process, is out of my hands. I'll probably apply for the Robertson Scholarship as well -- couldn't hurt, right? Thanks for the link on the scholarship info; I was searching for something to that effect. That BN Duke Scholarship is looking VERY attractive. :pray:

And yes, the SAT/ACT scores are coming. Thanks again for all the advice and encouragement, everyone! :D
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » August 18th, 2010, 11:40 pm

Native wrote:
I hope I can get some scholarship money as well -- I'm not looking for a full ride (although, that would be fantastic!) but there is also a financial element to this that, like the admissions process, is out of my hands. I'll probably apply for the Robertson Scholarship as well -- couldn't hurt, right? Thanks for the link on the scholarship info; I was searching for something to that effect.
As a grandchild of a Duke employee (The Ol' Professor), do you qualify for the employee tuition rate? You save something like 75%, which is one heckuva benefit!
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
Native

Post by Native » August 18th, 2010, 11:43 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
Native wrote:
I hope I can get some scholarship money as well -- I'm not looking for a full ride (although, that would be fantastic!) but there is also a financial element to this that, like the admissions process, is out of my hands. I'll probably apply for the Robertson Scholarship as well -- couldn't hurt, right? Thanks for the link on the scholarship info; I was searching for something to that effect.
As a grandchild of a Duke employee (The Ol' Professor), do you qualify for the employee tuition rate? You save something like 75%, which is one heckuva benefit!
Unfortunately, I believe that's only for sons and daughters -- doesn't apply to grandchildren. My mother, who would have had full tuition at Duke, instead had Duke pay her 80% tuition to...

...well, the "ugly" blue. :angry-tappingfoot:
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » August 19th, 2010, 9:14 am

Native wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
Native wrote:
Unfortunately, I believe that's only for sons and daughters -- doesn't apply to grandchildren. My mother, who would have had full tuition at Duke, instead had Duke pay her 80% tuition to...

As a Duke employee with that benefit, I can attest that it does only apply to children.
I worship the Blue Devil!
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » August 19th, 2010, 9:17 am

Native wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
Native wrote:

My understanding is that the benefit no longer applies to in-state schools in NC. Can't remember why, though I know it has nothing to do with rivalrys.
I worship the Blue Devil!
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » August 19th, 2010, 9:22 am

TillyGalore wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
Native wrote:

As a Duke employee with that benefit, I can attest that it does only apply to children.
Perhaps you should consider legally adopting Native... ;)

Rolvix
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Rolvix » August 19th, 2010, 11:50 am

Native wrote: I hope I can get some scholarship money as well -- I'm not looking for a full ride (although, that would be fantastic!) but there is also a financial element to this that, like the admissions process, is out of my hands. I'll probably apply for the Robertson Scholarship as well -- couldn't hurt, right? Thanks for the link on the scholarship info; I was searching for something to that effect. That BN Duke Scholarship is looking VERY attractive. :pray:

Keep in mind that if you decide to apply ED at Duke I don't think you can apply for the Robertson.
Class of 2014
Native

Post by Native » August 19th, 2010, 12:24 pm

Rolvix wrote:Keep in mind that if you decide to apply ED at Duke I don't think you can apply for the Robertson.
I checked the website and this is what it says:
Robertson Scholarship Website FAQ wrote:Do I have to apply early decision/early action to be considered for the Robertson Scholars Program?
No. Although the deadline for submitting Supplemental Materials form is December 1, you do not need to complete your admission application to Duke and/or UNC-Chapel Hill until the regular admission deadlines to be considered for the Robertson Scholars Program or other merit scholarships.
So does that mean you can only apply RD for the Robertson, or just that it's not required that you apply ED?
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » August 19th, 2010, 1:14 pm

Native wrote:
Rolvix wrote:Keep in mind that if you decide to apply ED at Duke I don't think you can apply for the Robertson.
I checked the website and this is what it says:
Robertson Scholarship Website FAQ wrote:Do I have to apply early decision/early action to be considered for the Robertson Scholars Program?
No. Although the deadline for submitting Supplemental Materials form is December 1, you do not need to complete your admission application to Duke and/or UNC-Chapel Hill until the regular admission deadlines to be considered for the Robertson Scholars Program or other merit scholarships.
So does that mean you can only apply RD for the Robertson, or just that it's not required that you apply ED?
I read it as you could do either ED or RD.

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 19th, 2010, 1:40 pm

TillyGalore wrote:
Native wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote:As a grandchild of a Duke employee (The Ol' Professor), do you qualify for the employee tuition rate? You save something like 75%, which is one heckuva benefit!

Does that mean you'll be adopting Native after he is admitted? :)) =))
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
Rolvix

Post by Rolvix » August 19th, 2010, 1:47 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote: I read it as you could do either ED or RD.
I must have remembered it wrong, I think you're right.
Class of 2014
bluebutton

Post by bluebutton » August 19th, 2010, 2:38 pm

Rolvix wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote: I read it as you could do either ED or RD.
I must have remembered it wrong, I think you're right.
Also, if in doubt, call the ousf office. Last time I was in the office (2-3 years ago), the staff were all quite nice.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » August 19th, 2010, 4:14 pm

devildeac wrote:
TillyGalore wrote:
Native wrote:As a grandchild of a Duke employee (The Ol' Professor), do you qualify for the employee tuition rate? You save something like 75%, which is one heckuva benefit!

Hey DD! Pay attention! I mentioned this several posts up! :))

C'mon, Tilly! You can do it! Native's folks might even cut you in on their tuition savings after paying the adoption costs! :D

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 19th, 2010, 4:44 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
devildeac wrote:
TillyGalore wrote: As a Duke employee with that benefit, I can attest that it does only apply to children.
Hey DD! Pay attention! I mentioned this several posts up! :))

C'mon, Tilly! You can do it! Native's folks might even cut you in on their tuition savings after paying the adoption costs! :D
Damn. You expect me to read all the posts, too. =))

( :ymblushing: )
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 19th, 2010, 7:02 pm

My advice would be to focus on those who know you and steer clear of those who will likely write something generic. Once upon a time, during my days as a tenure-track faculty member, I served on an admissions and financial aid committee (not at Duke). Like bluebutton, I paid close attention to letters of recommendation. Generic ones carried far less weight than thoughful letters that addressed the applicant's strengths and weaknesses. There were actually cases where I recommended admission for borderline cases based on a thoughtful, well-written letter of recommendation. Convinced the rest of the committee, too. The opposite is true as well - lukewarm letters of recommendation did not help borderline candidates. I'm not saying that you're a borderline candidate - far from it - I'm just saying that well-written letters of recommendation are important.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » August 19th, 2010, 8:43 pm

Vibes on your college apps! For me, they were so much fun! (not)
Native

An Update...

Post by Native » December 1st, 2010, 5:36 pm

Hey everyone!

Man, this process is really stressful — but I'm getting through it day by day.

I decided against ED for Duke — my mother and I attended the open house for North/South Carolina applicants. Basically, there's a 2% difference in the admittance rate between regular and early decision for applicants from the Carolinas, because Duke wants more in-state applicants. I decided to take the extra three months to work on my application in exchange for the 2%. Ah, the magic of trade-offs.

As far as test scores, I recently got a 35 on my ACT on the first sitting (a perfect score is a 36) — no studying, no prep class. Just went in and got it, which was awesome. I took the SAT three times and got a composite score over the three tests of 2250: 780 Writing, 750 Critical Reading, and 720 Mathematics. I may not send my SAT to any of my schools, simply because my ACT score is 99th percentile and translates to a 2340 overall SAT. Decisions, decisions...

I have my AP English and AP US History teachers writing my teacher recommendations. My AP English teacher is also my lacrosse coach, which puts him in a unique situation to describe my leadership abilities both athletically and academically. My APUSH teacher was a Duke alum and played on the baseball team, so he has a connection to Duke and can describe how I'll fit in and handle the Duke experience. My principal is writing my personal recommendation — Duke looks for kids who have made an impact, and my greatest impact has been at my high school through Student Council and other on-campus clubs. My grandfather (the OP) is also writing a letter.

I already applied to NC State, as I was nominated for the Park Scholarship through my school. I'm also applying to Duke, Stanford, and Northwestern via the common application. I should know about the next round of the Park process later this month. The deadlines for all the other schools, including Duke, are somewhere in April.

My senior year of classes is going well. I got all A's the first quarter and have nothing below a 95 right now in any of my classes (AP Statistics, Honors Spanish III, AP Psychology, Honors Physics). Hopefully I can maintain my 4.0!

Now, all I have to do is write some hellacious essays. Hopefully everything works out!

:duke:
DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor
PWing School Assistant Professor

Post by DukeUsul » December 1st, 2010, 7:02 pm

Good luck. Make the essays really personal. Show who you really are.
-- DukeUsul
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » December 1st, 2010, 8:42 pm

Native, good luck and vibes to you! You will make a wonderful Crazie, if Duke is your destination (and we all devoutly hope that it is). :happy-bouncyblue: :wizard: :wizard: :happy-bouncyblue:

If you wind up somewhere else, you will be an asset to whatever school you attend.
Iron Duke #1471997.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » December 1st, 2010, 9:27 pm

Native, I really do want you to go to Duke.

However, you will love Stanford, too!

Don't stress over this process too much. Any school would be fortunate to have you!

Vibes, hugs and prayers to you during this exciting time!
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith