2009 Atlanta Braves Thread

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Re: 2009 Atlanta Braves Thread

Post by Lavabe » September 24th, 2009, 7:18 am

wilson wrote:...and I've gotten my wish. Next season will be Bobby's last. I'll have tickets for the final game of the season as soon as they go on sale, and I'll be in part sad to see him go, but I commend him for a solid read of when it's time to hang 'em up.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/atlanta-brave ... 45112.html
Playoff tickets for 2010 don't go on sale yet. ;)
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » September 27th, 2009, 4:41 pm

Just when we're pulling out our forks to stick in the Braves, they reel off 14 victories in 16 games, including their first undefeated road trip in eight years.
Could they actually pull this off?
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » September 27th, 2009, 4:49 pm

wilson wrote:Just when we're pulling out our forks to stick in the Braves, they reel off 14 victories in 16 games, including their first undefeated road trip in eight years.
Be quiet!! :-$
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by cl15876 » September 27th, 2009, 7:31 pm

wilson wrote:Just when we're pulling out our forks to stick in the Braves, they reel off 14 victories in 16 games, including their first undefeated road trip in eight years.
They did really good against the Nats the last few days..... I thought the Nats might get them in extra innings today, however, true to form, they suck and Atlanta gets men on 2nd and 3rd and cranks a single or double in the top of the 10th to win 5 to 3. Unbelievable at the frick'n Nats errors that occurred!!!!! Sloppy, Sloppy, Sloppy!!! Atlanta deserved to win!!!! Congrats!!!!
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » September 28th, 2009, 10:58 am

All remaining reg season games are at home. Next up: the Marlins. Well, so much for catching up to the Rockies. The fish have the Bravos' number this year... or do they?
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » September 28th, 2009, 3:09 pm

Lavabe wrote:Well, so much for catching up to the Rockies. The fish have the Bravos' number this year... or do they?
Definitely not. The chances are still less than 50%, and the Marlins series is certainly a tall order, but this race is most assuredly not over. The Braves have the advantage of one more remaining game than the Rockies, and they close with four at home against the Nationals, whereas the Rockies go to LA for the season's final three.
The Rockies have struggled mightily against the Dodgers this season, and LA could well still be playing for playoff seeding in the season's final weekend. If the Braves can get within a game before that series, the folks in Denver should start sweating.
throatybeard
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by throatybeard » September 28th, 2009, 9:03 pm

I think ATL has 7 games this week and COL has 6. (I think). If the Braves win the extra game, they're only down 2 games. Thus needing something like Braves 5-1 and Rockies 3-3, or 4-2 and 2-4. To force a one-game playoff.

I'm sorry the RedBirds didn't help out more this weekend in Denver!
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » September 28th, 2009, 11:04 pm

Umm... 4-0 Bravos. Final.

Not bad. Next game.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » September 28th, 2009, 11:42 pm

I went to the game tonight. INCREDIBLE weather and, of course, a great result...among my favorite Braves games in memory. Tomorrow, I'm taking food, beer, and books, and tailgating from about 10 a.m. onward.
SWEAT, ROCKIES, SWEAT!
SWEAT, ROCKIES, SWEAT!
SWEAT, ROCKIES, SWEAT!
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » September 29th, 2009, 7:14 am

wilson wrote:I went to the game tonight. INCREDIBLE weather and, of course, a great result...among my favorite Braves games in memory. Tomorrow, I'm taking food, beer, and books, and tailgating from about 10 a.m. onward.
SWEAT, ROCKIES, SWEAT!
SWEAT, ROCKIES, SWEAT!
SWEAT, ROCKIES, SWEAT!
Gone are the days of TBS coverage around the country. :-q
Maybe the Boston and New York AL scandalous teams are playing tonight on ESPN. Don't they play every night on TV? :ymtongue: i-)
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » September 29th, 2009, 9:08 am

The last time I woke up with the Braves on my brain like this, I was about 15 years old.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » September 29th, 2009, 1:05 pm

wilson wrote:The last time I woke up with the Braves on my brain like this, I was about 15 years old.
A little bit ago we had a phone conversation in which you just DID NOT want me to mention ANYTHING with the Braves. %-( It was just after Hudson had another great performance.

Is it now okay to hold a conversation about them, or are they still on the banned list of topics? :banned:
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » September 29th, 2009, 1:31 pm

Lavabe wrote:
wilson wrote:The last time I woke up with the Braves on my brain like this, I was about 15 years old.
A little bit ago we had a phone conversation in which you just DID NOT want me to mention ANYTHING with the Braves. %-( It was just after Hudson had another great performance.
I stand by my disgust following the Labor Day weekend sweep at home at the hands of the Reds. Rather clearly, the team is capable of much better than that (as I've been saying all season).
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » September 29th, 2009, 1:32 pm

wilson wrote:
Lavabe wrote:
I stand by my disgust following the Labor Day weekend sweep at home at the hands of the Reds. Rather clearly, the team is capable of much better than that (as I've been saying all season).
Also, true confession...during that conversation, I was supremely hung over, heightening my disgust at all things, including babies, birds singing, and sunshine.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » September 30th, 2009, 9:46 am

wilson wrote:
Lavabe wrote:
I make the motion that all discussions of the chances that the Bravos can make the playoffs cease until after the end of the regular season. All discussions of this topic seem to produce BAD Braves karma.

DANG fish!! :swear: :-l
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » September 30th, 2009, 9:47 am

DANG Bravos!! :swear: :-l
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » September 30th, 2009, 11:11 am

Lavabe wrote:DANG Bravos!! :swear: :-l
Life support. We need a miracle at this point.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 30th, 2009, 3:18 pm

wilson wrote:
We need a miracle.
Whenever I hear that line, I always think of....

Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » September 30th, 2009, 3:27 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
wilson wrote:
We need a miracle.
Whenever I hear that line, I always think of....

When it comes to miracles, I prefer them as part of the ten-piece set, which includes "fencing, fighting, torture, revenge, giants, monsters, chases, escapes, true love, [and] miracles."
Miles
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by Miles » September 30th, 2009, 3:42 pm

wilson wrote:When it comes to miracles, I prefer them as part of the ten-piece set, which includes "fencing, fighting, torture, revenge, giants, monsters, chases, escapes, true love, [and] miracles."
This photo, and the Fred Savage scenes from The Princess Bride, captures a good chunk of my childhood. The Fridge, He-Man, and lots of other little toys that always "take me back" whenever I see that movie.
sMiles