Gardening

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Gardening

Post by CameronBornAndBred » July 11th, 2009, 1:50 pm

It's been a long while since we posted here, hopefully everyone's garden is doing well. After our San Fran trip, my garden needs to be mowed. It is a jungle of grass. I'm not gonna fight it, but I did spend the morning canning about 20 lbs of tomatoes. BLT's for dinner tonight. Got lots of beans which we ate already, and a steady stream of cukes and peppers. Canning is fun, but messy. My wife is glaring at me, she and the kids cleaned the kitchen two days ago. :ymdevil:
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » July 11th, 2009, 8:55 pm

I harvested a tomato today. I don't even like tomatoes. My mom's going to make herself a tomato sandwich with it.

I have some baby squash, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they'll continue to grow. My okra plants are coming back from the ravages inflicted on them by Peter Rabbit. I might have some okra by this fall. I'm researching whether installing an electric fence will help my garden thrive next year.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » July 11th, 2009, 9:46 pm

CathyCA wrote:
I have some baby squash, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they'll continue to grow. My okra plants are coming back from the ravages inflicted on them by Peter Rabbit. I might have some okra by this fall. I'm researching whether installing an electric fence will help my garden thrive next year.
My mother, her brother, and their mother are all avid gardeners, and they swear that spreading dog hair in and among your beds will keep critters out of your plants. We literally take grocery bags full of dog sheddings to my grandmother's house every time we go. I'm sure any of your dog-owning friends would be happy to oblige similarly.
It's at least worth a shot.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » July 11th, 2009, 9:53 pm

wilson wrote:
CathyCA wrote:
My mother, her brother, and their mother are all avid gardeners, and they swear that spreading dog hair in and among your beds will keep critters out of your plants. We literally take grocery bags full of dog sheddings to my grandmother's house every time we go. I'm sure any of your dog-owning friends would be happy to oblige similarly.
Dog hair? Like hair of the dog?

It's worth a shot.

Where do I get dog hair? From a groomer?
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » July 11th, 2009, 9:55 pm

CathyCA wrote:

It's worth a shot.

I'm sure they'd give you some, and as I said, I bet that any of your dog-owning friends, who doubtless sweep up tufts of the stuff multiple times per week, would also be happy to pass some along.
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » July 12th, 2009, 3:06 am

wilson wrote:
CathyCA wrote:

Wonder if cat hair would work. I have loads of it.
I worship the Blue Devil!
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 12th, 2009, 9:18 am

CathyCA wrote:
wilson wrote:
CathyCA wrote:

It's worth a shot.

"Hair of the Dog?

That belongs on the "ymm, beer" thread :roll: :))

(reference to obscure brewery of the same name housed in the warehouse distict of Portland, Oregon) :roll: :oops:
http://www.hairofthedog.com
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by cl15876 » July 19th, 2009, 6:49 pm

I've been meaning to post on here the pics regarding the current of the state of the garden, but seem to always get distracted.... so, making the time to do so now... check out my morning harvest and the current state of things.... I've actually gotten peppers, beans, and cucumbers prior to this, but patiently waiting for the big tomatoes, more peppers, squash and sukini and those wonderful eggplants I've been tending to so attentively.... my girl is going to make her special eggplant casserole with them! I can't wait!!! :p :D
Slide1.JPG
Slide2.JPG
Slide3.JPG
Slide4.JPG
Oops can only add 4 attachments at a time... will add two more posts total of 9 pics
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » July 19th, 2009, 6:52 pm

here are pics 5-8
Slide5.JPG
Slide6.JPG
Slide7.JPG
Slide8.JPG
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » July 19th, 2009, 6:53 pm

last pic - pic 9
Slide9.JPG
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » July 19th, 2009, 6:57 pm

TillyGalore wrote:
wilson wrote:
CathyCA wrote:

Yes, it does. I've collected if from my neighbor before. I've been told Lantana, the flowering plant works also.
Life is good!
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » July 19th, 2009, 7:12 pm

DukieInKansas wrote:[quote="TillyGalore"
wilson wrote:
CathyCA wrote:

Yes, it does. I've collected if from my neighbor before. I've been told Lantana, the flowering plant works also.
Human hair also works! I don't much up there, but can collect what I can! The scent of a human (although I am partial to it, a clean hygiene one anyways! 8-} ) apparently repulses animals from eating the goodies! :ympeace:
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » July 19th, 2009, 11:04 pm

Maybe I'll prepare eggplant parmesan.

~ James Naismith
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » July 20th, 2009, 12:49 pm

CathyCA wrote:Maybe I'll prepare eggplant parmesan.
Yummy! :-bd :-bd :-bd \:D/ \:D/ =p~ =p~ :ymapplause: :ymapplause: @};-
knights68
Full Time Student at PWing school
Full Time Student at PWing school

Post by knights68 » July 20th, 2009, 1:27 pm

cl15876 wrote:last pic - pic 9
Slide9.JPG
NICE Garden my friend, NICE!!!
Miles
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by Miles » August 3rd, 2009, 2:43 pm

I'm putting together a container garden mostly because I'm still at mom and dad's place and I can't put together anything permanent. But I'm also interested in experimenting with self-watering plants. I decided to start with a variety of greens since we're getting closer to fall. Does anyone have experience or words of wisdom they'd like to share? I'll be growing: mustard greens, mesclun, kale, and bok choy.
sMiles
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 3rd, 2009, 2:54 pm

I presume that you already have a recipe, but my chicken parm recipe, posted in the recipe thread, translates quite well to eggplant.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » August 3rd, 2009, 3:44 pm

wilson wrote:
I presume that you already have a recipe, but my chicken parm recipe, posted in the recipe thread, translates quite well to eggplant.
I had one in mind already, but what a good idea to try yours. I can get lots of posting mileage out of that--a review in the recipe thread, a report over here, and some play in LTE 2.0.

~ James Naismith
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » August 18th, 2009, 9:27 pm

I just repotted a Majesty Palm in my living for my living room. Spencer has already started nibbling on the palms. Hopefully, I'll be able to keep this bad boy alive for a very long time. We'll see. Plants and I don't always get along. Oh, just remembered need to go water the outdoor plants.
I worship the Blue Devil!
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » September 6th, 2009, 10:36 pm

I pulled my first potato out of the dirt tonight. I promptly washed it and baked it for dinner. I can't wait to harvest the rest of them - especially the blue and red varieties!

I also had tomatoes and basil from the garden with mozzarella for a caprese salad. And a couple glasses of wine.

It was a good gardening day.
Life is good!