The Recipe Thread

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Re: The Recipe Thread

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 18th, 2009, 1:59 pm

I bought a rump roast this morning to cook in my crock pot, which I've never done. I got the following recipe from Cooks.com.
It sounded pretty tasty, I've used red skinned potatoes. I also added some mushrooms that I needed to use for something before their time was up. It's what's for dinner tonight, so I'll let ya know tomorrow how it is.

CROCK POT POT ROAST

About 3 1/2 or 4 lb. pot roast or rump
Potatoes
Onion
Brown gravy mix
1 can cream of mushroom soup
Bay leaf and garlic, optional

Peel and cut potatoes into small pieces. Put half in bottom of crock pot, seasoned with Nature's Seasoning. Make a package of brown gravy mix and pour a little over the potatoes on the bottom. Set pot roast on top of potatoes. Slice a medium onion and lay on top of meat. Put rest of potatoes around and season. Pour a can of cream of mushroom soup and the rest of the brown gravy over all. Cook on high 6 to 7 hours.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 18th, 2009, 2:37 pm

wilson wrote:This is a little something I just sort of concocted with what I had on hand a few months back, and I've made it several times since then. It's become something of an easy little favorite. I'm preparing it as I type this.

~wilson's London Broil with Onions and Mushrooms~

Ingredients:
- 2 medium sized Vidalia or other sweet onions
- 8-12 oz. mushrooms, sliced (I like baby Portobellos, but pretty much any will do)
- 1 average sized London Broil: Your grocer should typically carry 1.25-1.5 pound London Broils. This is the perfect size. If for some reason they don't have a London Broil, skirt steak, flank steak, or another similar cut will work.
- 2 tbsp. or so minced garlic (optional)
- 2 tbsp. or so olive oil

Bring your oil up to medium heat in a large, heavy skillet with a lid. If you're using garlic, put it in with the oil as it gets hot. Chop your onions to desired coarseness; it doesn't matter at all how big or small they are. Add them and the mushrooms to your hot oil, cover, and saute 12-20 minutes. I like mine good and brown, especially the onions--Nice toasty, caramelized Vidalias are delicious. Add your meat and sear it for about 4 minutes on each side This will cook the center of your meat to approximately medium, with some more done portions on the ends. Add a minute per side if you want it more done.

*Note about your meat: You really should marinate this meat, for as long as possible. I think an overnight marinade is ideal, but as little as an hour will do. If you don't have long to marinate, poke a few holes in your meat with a sharp knife. This will help it to take the marinade up more quickly. As for the marinade itself, use whatever you like. I personally never marinate any beef without Worcestershire Sauce. I usually also do a quick dry rub with seasoned salt, garlic powder, and paprika. Other stuff like Dale's marinade, Montreal Steak seasoning, etc. will also work quite well.

After your meat is done, let it sit for 5 minutes or so, then slice thinly across the grain of the meat, into strips. Serve with mushrooms, onions, and jus smothered on top of it. I typically have a baked potato, salad, and bread with this, but of course do whatever you like.

Perhaps the best part of this meal is the leftovers. Pile a few pieces of the meat with some of the mushrooms and onions onto a good piece of crusty bread, with a slice of good cheese on top, and bake at 300 for 10 minutes or so...best steak sandwich you've ever eaten.
And wash it down with some brown ale or porter. :D
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 18th, 2009, 2:38 pm

rockymtn devil wrote:Spicy-Citrus Pork Tenderloin:

For the rub:
The zest of a lime and an orange
2.5 teaspoons of curry powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon coriander
1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne
juice from half the lime and half the orange
Mix them together until you have a paste

Coat the tenderloin with a light layer of olive oil and then smother it with the paste. Don't go too heavy or else you won't get a good bark on the meat.

Get the grill as hot as you can (500+) and sear both sides of the tenderloin (roughly 3 minutes a side). Then set the grill to indirect medium heat and cook the pork for another 20 minutes, or until done to your liking. Let sit for five minutes after taking off the grill.

On a board full of North Carolinians, I probably don't need to say this but, just in case, this is for a pork tenderloin and NOT a pork loin. A few years ago I was entertaining for the Final Four and made this. My roommate was in charge of the meat and, much to my surprise, brought home a 5lb loin instead of several 1lb tenderloins. She didn't know there was a difference. Needless to say dinner was late being served.

After having not made this dish for a long time, I'm doing it tonight (meat is on the grill as I type). On the side is some white rice and potatoes cooked with a dash of curry powder. I'm pairing it with a New Belgium Mothership Wit Belgian White Ale, which should be about perfect.
I'll be at your dinner table in about, say, 6 hours. :D
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 18th, 2009, 2:39 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:I bought a rump roast this morning to cook in my crock pot, which I've never done. I got the following recipe from Cooks.com.
It sounded pretty tasty, I've used red skinned potatoes. I also added some mushrooms that I needed to use for something before their time was up. It's what's for dinner tonight, so I'll let ya know tomorrow how it is.

CROCK POT POT ROAST

About 3 1/2 or 4 lb. pot roast or rump
Potatoes
Onion
Brown gravy mix
1 can cream of mushroom soup
Bay leaf and garlic, optional

Peel and cut potatoes into small pieces. Put half in bottom of crock pot, seasoned with Nature's Seasoning. Make a package of brown gravy mix and pour a little over the potatoes on the bottom. Set pot roast on top of potatoes. Slice a medium onion and lay on top of meat. Put rest of potatoes around and season. Pour a can of cream of mushroom soup and the rest of the brown gravy over all. Cook on high 6 to 7 hours.
Brown ale again. Maybe a porter in the fall/winter.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » May 18th, 2009, 3:57 pm

wilson wrote:
bjornolf wrote:
Interesting, I usually fry chicken in a big pot for about 20 minutes. You obviously prefer the skillet frying method. I'm just curious as to why? It seems to me that pot frying/fry daddy frying would be easier and less likely to burn you. Do you get a better taste from the shallow pan frying?

%%-
I just find it easier to get my oil to the right temperature in my skillet, and to manage everything once I get the oil hot. I have a nice, relatively deep, wide skillet with a lid that works perfectly for frying chicken (as it should, since I asked my mother a couple of years ago for "a big, heavy skillet with a lid...the kind I could fry some chicken in." for Christmas). To each his own...if you've got your frying technique honed to a process that works for you, then great; the really important part of fried chicken is your seasoning, and I strongly stand by my above recipe.
I've been desperately trying to find a good fried chicken recipe. I will DEFINITELY try yours. I don't really have one currently. My former recipe, which was really good, was to buy the Cousin Jim's honey fried chicken mix from Aunt Sarah's Pancake House and use the directions on that. But we don't have an Aunt Sarah's near us anymore, so I haven't gotten any of that stuff in years. Thanks for the recipe.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Fried Chicken

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 18th, 2009, 4:27 pm

One thing I've learned about chicken, whether grilled or fried, is it helps tons to boil it for about 5 minutes before cooking. You are then guaranteed incredibly juicy chicken, and salmonella free. I use a deep fryer for my chicken just for eveness, but that bigassed chicken sized skillet sounds great.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 19th, 2009, 3:19 pm

The Crock Pot pot roast was waaaayy tasty. Fed 3 kids and two parents, plus I have plenty leftover for a couple lunches.
cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by cl15876 » May 19th, 2009, 3:30 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:The Crock Pot pot roast was waaaayy tasty. Fed 3 kids and two parents, plus I have plenty leftover for a couple lunches.
You ARE LUCKY MISTER! I was wondering! I'm going to post the shrimp cake recipe this evening! I promise!
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » May 19th, 2009, 7:37 pm

OK, All I HAVE TO SAY, IS SHIT!!!!!! SHIT!!!!!!!!! SHITTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!! DAMMN I AM GOOD!!!!!

Kudo's to CB&B for the boiling chicken tip!
KUDO'S to WILSON who posted the Fried Chicken and Corn Bread Recipes; WILSON -- I hope Shamrog won't be offended, BUTT, You can be my scramble bitch anytime!!!!!!
Bjornolf did something, but I can't remember.... I am too lost in my CREATION!!!! :D :D :D :D :D OH, NOW I remember, the bug scars tip on the veggies......

I was supposed to make this last night, but got lost on finding the end of the internet, which didn't happen, last night, ..... so I took off early today to find it all!

Today (this afternoon...)
- I started out boiling the chicken... GREAT TIP I think! but felt good doing it!
- I heated the oven and took a short cut, sad to say, I got one of those little boxes of corn bread mix that makes 6 good sized muffins and took a tip from Wilson on the brown sugar, I think that added some incredible flavor, but I am knumb...... at the moment... no it isn't just the AL-KEE-HALLLLL!!!! :D
- I got some yellow and green squash with Bjornoff's tips about bug scars, scrubbed accordingly and cut them in slices, boiled the shit out of them with a bunch of minced garlic (YUMM), salt and I think that is it, but shit, double and triple shit, that was a meal in itself after I drained the water and saturated in butter!!!!!!!!!
- I then heated the oil as prescribed, and used Wilson's ingredients ... I added extra garlic, I was disappointed that the cyan pepper (my addition -almost used an entire jar) didn't add the spice that popeyes or bojangles achieves, and everything else he indicated and DAMN...., cooked 6 complete legs (yes I AM A LEG MAN) and 6 beautiful breasts (I DO LIKE them also), and OOOOOH MY GOSHHHHHHH, ............. I WAS AT HOME!!!!! MY AUNT USED TO MAKE NC FRIED CHICKEN LIKE THAT.... there are NO MORE LEGGSSSSS MEN.....

I only have 5 breasts left. 4 corn bread muffins and not alot of squash but a taste......

YUMMMY!!!!!!!!! Fucking Delicious!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

CB&B - well done on the boiling tip!
Bjornolf - well done on the tip about bug scars!!!!
and WILSON - if you were a virgin, I might have to steal your cherry!!!!! :)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) Excellent recipe on the chicken and corn bread (with brown sugar)!!!!!!

I am know sitting back FATTTTTT and HAPPYYYYYYYY, ........ thought I'd post this review before I passed out from TOOOO much pleasure!!!!!!!!! :D ;)

I will basck in the breasts the rest of the week.... that IS WHAT HAPPENS when YOU LIVE ALONE!!!!! :-D
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 19th, 2009, 7:45 pm

LOL. Congrats on the chicken and squash. If you ever get your own cooking show, I am SO gonna watch it. Might have to be on HBO though. Or after 10PM. B-)
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » May 19th, 2009, 7:48 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:LOL. Congrats on the chicken and squash. If you ever get your own cooking show, I am SO gonna watch it. Might have to be on HBO though. Or after 10PM. B-)
LOL - CathyCA and Ratchel Ray are MY HEROES! BOTH HAVE GREAT LEGS and can COOK like you would not imagine!!!! :D They INSPIRE ME!!!!!!!!!!
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » May 19th, 2009, 8:30 pm

cl15876 wrote:
I am know sitting back FATTTTTT and HAPPYYYYYYYY, ........ thought I'd post this review before I passed out from TOOOO much pleasure!!!!!!!!! :D ;)
Hah, well I'm glad you enjoyed it all so much, cl. Just as much as cooking, I love sharing the joy thereof.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » May 20th, 2009, 8:23 am

cl15876 wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote:LOL. Congrats on the chicken and squash. If you ever get your own cooking show, I am SO gonna watch it. Might have to be on HBO though. Or after 10PM. B-)
LOL - CathyCA and Ratchel Ray are MY HEROES! BOTH HAVE GREAT LEGS and can COOK like you would not imagine!!!! :D They INSPIRE ME!!!!!!!!!!
Rachel Ray has great legs? Really? I don't think I've ever seen her legs. She's always wearing dark jeans, which, to me, is an indication that someone is trying to HIDE their legs. But that's just me. ;)

Glad you had such a great meal.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
TNTDevil
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by TNTDevil » May 20th, 2009, 10:31 am

cl15876 wrote:... I added extra garlic, I was disappointed that the cyan pepper (my addition -almost used an entire jar) didn't add the spice that popeyes or bojangles achieves...
F/T/R if you want your chicken to have the spice of a Bojangles or Popeye's, you need to season the chicken itself, not the breading. In the future, simply season (liberally) the chicken with the spices of your choice before you bread them and fry. Then you'll get that familiar spicy taste on your chicken.

Be advised, if you're seasoning your breading with salt (which you should) don't season the flesh with salt, simply your spice mixture (cayenne, black pepper, garlic powder etc.).
"I was gratified to be able to answer promptly. I said I don't know."- Mark Twain
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 20th, 2009, 2:29 pm

TNTDevil wrote:
cl15876 wrote:... I added extra garlic, I was disappointed that the cyan pepper (my addition -almost used an entire jar) didn't add the spice that popeyes or bojangles achieves...
F/T/R if you want your chicken to have the spice of a Bojangles or Popeye's, you need to season the chicken itself, not the breading. In the future, simply season (liberally) the chicken with the spices of your choice before you bread them and fry. Then you'll get that familiar spicy taste on your chicken.

Be advised, if you're seasoning your breading with salt (which you should) don't season the flesh with salt, simply your spice mixture (cayenne, black pepper, garlic powder etc.).
I'd pay close attention to this guy. He's good. He's REALLY good. :D
TNTDevil

Post by TNTDevil » May 20th, 2009, 2:45 pm

devildeac wrote:
TNTDevil wrote:

You sir, are (or, for Wilson, ARRRRR!!!) too kind! ^:)^
"I was gratified to be able to answer promptly. I said I don't know."- Mark Twain
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » May 20th, 2009, 5:58 pm

devildeac wrote:
TNTDevil wrote:

I've been waiting for TNT to respond to me somewhere, somehow, ... I am sure he doesn't remember me, but I remember him! These are great tips TNT and DD "so noted"!
TNTDevil

Post by TNTDevil » May 21st, 2009, 11:19 am

cl15876 wrote: I've been waiting for TNT to respond to me somewhere, somehow, ... I am sure he doesn't remember me, but I remember him! These are great tips TNT and DD "so noted"!
Ah sir, you underestimate me, of course I remember you! I wasn't that drunk at those tailgates last year! :o Unfortunately, I just don't have as much time to post as I would prefer! :(
TNTDevil

Post by TNTDevil » May 21st, 2009, 3:50 pm

This may not belong in this thread but, I'm posting here as it doesn't warrant starting another thread.

For all those charcoal grillers out there, Home Depot has their Kingsford charcoal (2- 21lb bags) on sale for (roughly) $9.00. The regular price for this is closer to $16.

So if you use charcoal, now's the time to stock-up!
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 21st, 2009, 3:55 pm

TNTDevil wrote:This may not belong in this thread but, I'm posting here as it doesn't warrant starting another thread.

For all those charcoal grillers out there, Home Depot has their Kingsford charcoal (2- 21lb bags) on sale for (roughly) $9.00. The regular price for this is closer to $16.

So if you use charcoal, now's the time to stock-up!
I'm guessing with the holiday weekend coming up, you can find lots of outdoor cooking deals like that, as well as great meat bargains.