Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Re: Cold

Post by ArkieDukie » January 2nd, 2010, 11:45 pm

devildeac wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:
devildeac wrote:And now my quote of my quote of your post makes no sense. :-?
Maybe the punctuation mark in front of the smilie messed it up?: :-?
We also need a "clueless" smilie... :veryconfused:
Like, oh my gosh, and everything! ;)
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » January 2nd, 2010, 11:55 pm

colchar wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
colchar wrote: It is currently about 5 degrees Fahrenheit
Note, I twice corrected your spelling of Fahrenheit. Or rather, my spell checker did.

Yeah, my spellchecker always wants it to be capitalized as well but I just ignore that.
It wasn't >just< the capital F :-o :D
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » January 3rd, 2010, 8:39 am

cold it is. when i got up it was 17. brrrrrr
DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor

Post by DukeUsul » January 3rd, 2010, 8:53 am

We got back here to North Cackalacky last night from two weeks in NJ. This morning, I walked the dogs in my jammie pants, a t-shirt, light spring jacket and flip flops. What's it, like 20-something out?
-- DukeUsul
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 3rd, 2010, 9:42 am

DukeUsul wrote:We got back here to North Cackalacky last night from two weeks in NJ. This morning, I walked the dogs in my jammie pants, a t-shirt, light spring jacket and flip flops. What's it, like 20-something out?
You, bjornolf and colchar need to sign up for a New Year's day polar bear swim somewhere. Y'all are crazie ;) :D . Flip flops? 20 something degrees?
Where's the frozen smilie when I need one?
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » January 3rd, 2010, 10:09 am

devildeac wrote:
DukeUsul wrote:We got back here to North Cackalacky last night from two weeks in NJ. This morning, I walked the dogs in my jammie pants, a t-shirt, light spring jacket and flip flops. What's it, like 20-something out?
You, bjornolf and colchar need to sign up for a New Year's day polar bear swim somewhere. Y'all are crazie ;) :D . Flip flops? 20 something degrees?
Where's the frozen smilie when I need one?
You could stick with the eyes bugged out in amazement smilie (better known as twitch).
:twitch: :twitch:
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » January 3rd, 2010, 10:33 am

YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » January 3rd, 2010, 10:36 am

YmoBeThere wrote:Image
Yes, current temperature in my part of Cincinnati.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » January 3rd, 2010, 11:55 am

YmoBeThere wrote:
YmoBeThere wrote:Image
Yes, current temperature in my part of Cincinnati.
It's a sign! A sign, I tell you! :ymdevil:
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 3rd, 2010, 12:42 pm

29F (which is obviously +20 above 9F :)) =)) ) with winds at 16 MPH with gusts to 31 MPH yielded a wind chill of 16 for our stroll on the beach this AM. A few wispy clouds in the sky which was a washed-out, pasty blue just above the horizon and a gorgeous BLUE majestically soaring over the remainder of the sky. No flip flops or jammies for me though. Wind pants, socks, running shoes, a thermax, a mock T-neck and lightweight jacket, accompanied by a toboggan cap and gloves.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
Devil in the Blue Dress
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » January 3rd, 2010, 12:49 pm

For those who seem to take a macho approach to cold weather, how do you fare when the temperature and humidity are near 100?

We each adapt to the weather where we are. Don't which extreme I'd rather have..... maybe the hot weather :-\
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » January 3rd, 2010, 1:01 pm

Devil in the Blue Dress wrote:For those who seem to take a macho approach to cold weather, how do you fare when the temperature and humidity are near 100?

We each adapt to the weather where we are. Don't which extreme I'd rather have..... maybe the hot weather :-\
My theory on hot-cold is that you can always bundle up against the cold, you can take so much off in the heat. And then it turns cold and I realize I will take the heat any day.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » January 3rd, 2010, 1:05 pm

devildeac wrote: You, bjornolf and colchar need to sign up for a New Year's day polar bear swim somewhere.

Not a chance in hell - I hate the cold.
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » January 3rd, 2010, 1:07 pm

Who do you think you are? Colchar?
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » January 3rd, 2010, 1:08 pm

Devil in the Blue Dress wrote:For those who seem to take a macho approach to cold weather, how do you fare when the temperature and humidity are near 100?

I adapt to it just fine. Here in southern Ontario we get all four seasons. In winter it gets pretty damned cold at times and, in summer, it gets pretty damned hot at times. During the months of July and August we regularly hit 100 degrees so I am quite used to it.
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » January 3rd, 2010, 1:12 pm

CathyCA wrote:
Who do you think you are? Colchar?
;)

I just checked the Weather Network and, according to it, our temp right now is -10 celcius with a windchill of -20 celcius. I have to run out to grab milk if I want to have another coffee and I am currently debating whether or not to bother putting on a jacket - but I'll probably just go with a heavy sweatshirt as I'll be in my car most of the time and will only be outside to run into the store and back into my car. Gloves aren't even being considered (besides, my roommates would laugh their asses off if I were to wear them!).
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------
DukeUsul

Post by DukeUsul » January 3rd, 2010, 1:39 pm

I hate the heat. It's gross. Sticky. I abhor North Carolina summers.

Like CB&B said, you can always put more clothes on. I've got gloves and a hat and a parka if I need it.

I'd love to run around naked in the summers, but I think that would be frowned upon. The only times I can really tolerate extreme heat is when I'm half-naked on a beach with a girly frozen drink.
-- DukeUsul
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » January 3rd, 2010, 1:40 pm

colchar wrote:

I adapt to it just fine. Here in southern Ontario we get all four seasons. In winter it gets pretty damned cold at times and, in summer, it gets pretty damned hot at times. During the months of July and August we regularly hit 100 degrees so I am quite used to it.

The university where I did my undergrad degree, the University of Waterloo, has a weather station on campus (they have a main location and weather censors are placed all over campus) and they publish weather data each month as well as yearly summaries (and every other kind of weather data you could wish for). Both the campus and that weather station are located just a couple of blocks from my house so their weather data is dead on for what I'd get.

The link below is to a graph showing our monthly temperatures for 2008 (since the university is closed over the holidays they have yet to compile the data for 2009). If you look at the graph you'll see that we had a few days in the 100 degree range (their data is in celcius but 37.7C is 100F). As I said, this graph is from 2008 and, although I wasn't here (I was in Britain for a few months), I've been told by family and friends that it was a crappy, miserable, wet and cold summer (apparently it rained damned near daily). But even then we hit the 100 degree range (in a normal summer we'd hit it more than we did in 2008).

You'll also notice the data for January shows that we had days colder than -30C (that's -22F!). In January and February we had plenty of days below -25C (we had a couple in December too).

How's that for a range of weather?!? We get both extremes and, as I said in another post, I can easily handle both as I am quite used to them. How would y'all like to live in a place that has such a major swing in temperatures over the course of a year?

Here is the graph:

http://www.weather.uwaterloo.ca/downloa ... rature.pdf
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » January 3rd, 2010, 1:41 pm

DukeUsul wrote:I hate the heat. It's gross. Sticky. I abhor North Carolina summers.

Like CB&B said, you can always put more clothes on. I've got gloves and a hat and a parka if I need it.

I'd love to run around naked in the summers, but I think that would be frowned upon. The only times I can really tolerate extreme heat is when I'm half-naked on a beach with a girly frozen drink.

I'm sure there are nude beaches down there where you could be fully naked while enjoying a frozen drink!
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------
Devil in the Blue Dress

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » January 3rd, 2010, 1:43 pm

colchar wrote:

What's the humidity like in July and August? Humidity's a significant factor in what feels comfortable or tolerable.

When I posted the comment earlier about dealing with hotter weather, I was thinking about what it's like to live in regions of the US where the temperature and humidity are very high for sustained periods of time..... weeks to months, not just for a few days at a time.

I can recall several miserable times in central North Carolina caused by the weather...... for example, the ice storm of 2002 (highest temperatures in the 20's and thick ice covering all surfaces for days, no electricity for at least 10 days) or Hurricane Fran (hot, muggy, still air after the hurricane passed and no electricity for over a week).