The new lady in my life...

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Re: The new lady in my life...

Post by YmoBeThere » February 24th, 2010, 7:20 pm

Rereading the beginning of this thread makes me remember the joy of having Eva around and despondent over her absence.
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » February 24th, 2010, 9:14 pm

I do understand how you feel. When we finally had to let Jack go, I felt crushed. Bud and both did. Just remember, your CTN friends are here for you. Bless all of you and your babies. :ymhug: :ymhug:
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » February 24th, 2010, 10:26 pm

I'm exhausted...and missing her. Thanks again everyone for your thoughts.
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » February 25th, 2010, 5:41 am

Grant and Kelly searched around the apartment last night as I was going to bed and at 4:30 or so, Eva's usual time to sit on my chest, I found a much bigger cat sitting there(Kelly). Grant normally patrols the apartment in the morning, after doing so this morning he sat down for a while on a little blanket by my bed, a blanket only Eva used. I think they are now realizing that she isn't around and wondering what is going on. =(( I'm not sure what I can do to help them understand. :(( Perhaps my mind is making these things up, I guess I don't want to be alone in remembering her.
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » February 25th, 2010, 6:17 am

I'm noticing all the little things I used to do for Eva. I didn't use the couch because there wasn't room for her up there with the rest of us and when I got her she couldn't climb up there. I used it last night. There were lights I used to leave on for her. She's a cat, she didn't need them but I did it anyway. I stood there wondering last night what to do with them. I would have already fed her this morning instead of typing away at my netbook.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » February 25th, 2010, 6:54 am

YmoBeThere wrote:Grant and Kelly searched around the apartment last night as I was going to bed and at 4:30 or so, Eva's usual time to sit on my chest, I found a much bigger cat sitting there(Kelly). Grant normally patrols the apartment in the morning, after doing so this morning he sat down for a while on a little blanket by my bed, a blanket only Eva used. I think they are now realizing that she isn't around and wondering what is going on. =(( I'm not sure what I can do to help them understand. :(( Perhaps my mind is making these things up, I guess I don't want to be alone in remembering her.
They most definitely know she isn't around, and I bet they are probably also picking up some cues about your feelings. NOTE: I am only up on the primate literature, NOT the cat literature. But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once.

I'll check with some of my animal cognition folks at the university to see what is known about cat cognition. In the meantime, check out this link:
http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/min ... mestic-cat
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » February 25th, 2010, 12:28 pm

YmoBeThere wrote:Grant and Kelly searched around the apartment last night as I was going to bed and at 4:30 or so, Eva's usual time to sit on my chest, I found a much bigger cat sitting there(Kelly). Grant normally patrols the apartment in the morning, after doing so this morning he sat down for a while on a little blanket by my bed, a blanket only Eva used. I think they are now realizing that she isn't around and wondering what is going on. =(( I'm not sure what I can do to help them understand. :(( Perhaps my mind is making these things up, I guess I don't want to be alone in remembering her.
Reading your accounts during your sad time is real validation for what we are feeling. Makes me feel less like the Lone Ranger. thanks YBT!
Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » February 25th, 2010, 6:22 pm

Ima Facultiwyfe wrote:
Reading your accounts during your sad time is real validation for what we are feeling. Makes me feel less like the Lone Ranger. thanks YBT!
Love, Ima
Honestly, it hurts more than I would have ever thought it would. I loved the little lady.
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » February 25th, 2010, 6:47 pm

Lavabe wrote:
They most definitely know she isn't around, and I bet they are probably also picking up some cues about your feelings. NOTE: I am only up on the primate literature, NOT the cat literature. But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once.

I'll check with some of my animal cognition folks at the university to see what is known about cat cognition. In the meantime, check out this link:
http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/min ... mestic-cat
Interesting article, I do think cats are greatly underestimated. I like dogs and will have some one day, but I'm starting to think I'm more of a cat person. Whatever that means.
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » February 25th, 2010, 7:00 pm

Today's moment came when I was leaving for work. I pet my cats goodbye before going, one to make sure none are in the garage when I open the door and two to let them know that I will be thinking of them and will see them when I get home that night. I found Grant and went looking for Kelly. Out of habit I ended up in Eva's normal spot.

My big accomplishment at work was a PowerPoint of Eva pics.

I know the pain will subside over time, I am bolstered by the good memories of her.
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » February 25th, 2010, 9:54 pm

Okay, the stories are kind of winding down. But I do have a few more.

Eva, because of her missing rear leg, wasn't the greatest when it came to cleaning up after herself in the litter box. She would try real hard, send litter everywhere, but didn't always get the job done. Well, on many occasions I saw Grant go in there afterwards and straighten things out. On some levels kind of gross, but I thought it touching.
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » February 25th, 2010, 10:00 pm

Eva was a relatively young when I got her, but I do think she was feral or had to find her own food at some point in her life. I have these frozen bowls of spagetti that I purchased at Costco. The kind you heat up in the microwave for a quick meal. When she saw and smelled them, she would follow me around the house everywhere. One day, I decided to put it on the ground. She attacked it with much delight. I would later leave my plate on the floor after dinner and she would always check it out. My other cats weren't interested, but Eva would partake. Awful, I know...but she loved it.
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » February 25th, 2010, 10:34 pm

Ymo, I am walking with you as I too have been there! I am loving each and every experience as I can relate! It will subside, but you need to continue to share and you need to chat with the other two (I'm sure you have, explaining what happened and then hugging them until their eyes pop out) and they say. MEOOOOOW, MEOWWWWWWWWWWW.... (translated, please quit squeezing me soo tight, I can't F'in breath, and if you don't let go, then I'm going to claw the shit out of you!).... ;)
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » February 26th, 2010, 4:43 pm

YmoBeThere wrote:Okay, the stories are kind of winding down. But I do have a few more.

Eva, because of her missing rear leg, wasn't the greatest when it came to cleaning up after herself in the litter box. She would try real hard, send litter everywhere, but didn't always get the job done. Well, on many occasions I saw Grant go in there afterwards and straighten things out. On some levels kind of gross, but I thought it touching.
Awww, that is so sweet.
I worship the Blue Devil!
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » February 26th, 2010, 5:31 pm

TillyGalore wrote:
YmoBeThere wrote:Okay, the stories are kind of winding down. But I do have a few more.

Awww, that is so sweet.
Very sweet. Grant was taking care of his little sister. I love cats and dogs. It would be a lonley world without them.

Hang in YmoBeThere, somehow, time does help. We are all here for you. :ymhug:
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » February 26th, 2010, 6:06 pm

There are a lot of amazing and great people in this world also. I know because I post here among them...
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » February 27th, 2010, 12:13 am

Having just lost our sweet yellow lab this week, I know first hand how you are feeling at this moment.

The biggest problem is figuring out what to do with all that leftover love in your heart. Right? I find the answer is to start spreading it around. The seeds of love must be eternally resown. Go out and lavish it on more pets and people! You'll start feeling better real fast. :ymhug: :x

And keep writing to us all, for heaven's sake.
Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » February 27th, 2010, 8:22 am

I think my current pets are overwhelmed by the attention I've given them the last couple days...
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » February 27th, 2010, 8:47 am

Sending more vibes to Ima and Ymo! :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard: :ymhug: :wizard:
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » February 27th, 2010, 11:56 am

YmoBeThere wrote:I think my current pets are overwhelmed by the attention I've given them the last couple days...
They have needed it. I have no doubt they know what has happened and are mourning as well.
I worship the Blue Devil!