Ymm, Beer!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by devildeac » October 21st, 2018, 9:41 pm

Curieux (Bottling: April 2, 2015)-Allagash Brewing Company

I'll take credit for this one. Yea, AW and I planned this mini-vertical .

Very similar appearance/pour from this 750 ml bottle to the 2013 version with subtle yet clearly noticeable differences with the aromas and tastes. All of us thought the booze was more prominent than the expected toasted coconut, vanilla and orange scents with bourbon being the first tasting impression, too, followed by the usual characteristics of the BBA with vanilla, wood, coconut and a pinch of white pepper. I doubt any difference in the IBUs and the ABV was the same at 11%. If you like a very smooth, BBA Belgian-style triple ale, then the 2013 would be the winner. If you prefer a bit more bourbon and heat/bite from the style, then the 2015 would have been your winner. Which one did I like best? I'll declare it a draw with all participants being the winners.

Special team coverage was excellent with these 2 players.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 22nd, 2018, 8:05 pm

Time to start reviewing some fuse traders.

Sorry, AW, yours will have to wait until next week.

Lemon Cucumber Gose (stamped on bottom of can: 7/17/18)-Westbrook Brewing Company

Regional beer!

Poured somewhat aggressively into a standard pint glass with the results of a cloudy appearance and a smallish, foamy head that lingered for several minutes. Unmistakable aromas of ReaLemon juice. Moderate pucker factor and salinity with a faint vegetable flavor (but no pickling spices!) that I probably wouldn't have guessed/perceived without the obvious name of the beer. I'll guess IBUs around 5-10 with the standard low ABV of 4%. Better beer for a warm summer evening but pretty tasty and thirst-quenching on this cool fall night, too. I like their Key Lime Pie Gose better but this is a high quality, distinctive effort.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 22nd, 2018, 10:27 pm

From tonight:

The Inevitability of Change (best I could decipher from smudged stamp on bottom of aluminum pint vessel: Canned on 06/27/18)-Casita Cerveceria

"Brewed and canned for Casita Cerveceria by Duck-Rabbit Craft Brewery"

More local!

Very interesting reading fuse's tasting thoughts from his 16 ounce can and my draft musings as I'm sipping the last few ounces of my trader can tonight and my impressions are closer to fuse's packaged version than my draft version, especially WRT the lemony nose and palate. I still taste some fresh flowers and will up my IBU estimate to 30-35 range as there's a mild but distinct hop bitterness here along with the citrusy flavors. I hope this brewery survives as he/they really brew wonderful beers.

Many thanks to fuse for including this during our trading session last week.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 24th, 2018, 9:44 pm

Couple overdue reviews from the Duke-UVa tailgate.

Bourbon Barrel Aged Up All Night-Triple C Brewing Company

Drink regional!

Credit: Our part-time office nurse (N-'77) who exchanged it for the Jolly Pumpkin Fuego Del Otono she initially purchased.

Poured from a bomber and shared among 4 (or 5?) of us. Color was a dark, dark brown with a moderate, creamy tan head. I think the aromas were pretty equally balanced with coffee, dark chocolate (not added) and bourbon and the flavors were fairly equally distributed, too, along with some roastiness. Quite smooth and almost oily on the palate and, if you poured this for me blindly, I'd have readily thought this was an imperial stout. I'll guess IBUs around 40 and the ABV was 10% so it is aptly labeled a breakfast porter but imperial should be printed on the label, too. An outstanding selection and pairing with our breakfast feast.

The ruling at the table stands: Touchdown!
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 24th, 2018, 10:14 pm

Ok, not to overlook August West on the beer-trading front (Thanks!):

Amber Ale-Duck Rabbit Craft Brewery

Drink even closer regional!

Speaking of Farmville, NC breweries, this one waaaay preceded Casita Cerveceria by many years, but interestingly, the brewer at CC now apparently started learning his craft at Duck-Rabbit.

Pour from a 12 ounce bottle (wait, they still package beer in bottles ) into a standard pint glass was a clean/clear medium amber with a thin head. Toffee and herbal hops to start, followed by more toffee, earthy bitterness and some dark, toasted whole grain bread. I'll guess IBUs of 30 and ABV of 5.5%, neither are stated on the bottle or website so I'm WAG-ing here . Very good example for the style and certainly superior to the ubiquitous Fat Tire, which is still a good beer.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 24th, 2018, 10:57 pm

Second trader from AW this weekend (Thanks!):

Help! On the Way! (on bottom of can in a buncha dots pattern deciphered semi-sideways was: DOB 07/10/2018)-Southern Tier Brewing Company

An unfiltered, double India Pale Ale brewed with mango, tropical hops and lactose.

This is getting waaaay too complicated for me .

How about: a hazy, mango, tropical milkshake DIPA?

Well, I guess my suggestion is about as bad .

Poured aggressively from a pint can into a standard pint glass (two 8 ounce servings). The yield was a slightly cloudy, yellow-gold hue with a small head. Smells like Dole orange-pineapple-mango juice. Tastes like a tropical smoothie beer milkshake. There's mango, orange, pineapple flavors with a mild, rindy bitterness with a moderate closing punch. I'll venture 40 IBUs and the ABV on the can is 8.5%. Might be an IPA/IIPA for those that don't like "bitter" IPAs/IIPAs. I'd certainly sip this again if offered.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 26th, 2018, 10:45 pm

Equal billing for August West and fuse tonight for these recent traders. First up:

Hoppy Bunny ABA-Duke Rabbit Craft Brewery

ABA=American Black Ale, aka a black IPA

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle (WTH? Who puts beer in bottles these days? ) into a standard pint glass. Color was almost onyx with a moderate, latte-like tan head. Burnt pumpernickel bread arrives first to the olfactory lobe, then some grilled/blackened citrus slices. Tastes are chocolate-covered grapefruit slices with a coffee chaser along with some pine and resin and charred, dark caramel and wood. I'll guess IBUs about 50 here, balancing the 7.3% ABV fairly well. I didn't anticipate this being a good pairing with dinner but the roasted chicken and grilled vegetable chunks of zucchini, squash, carrots and peppers, rolled in various spices, mostly black pepper, ended up being a very pleasant combination.

Thanks to August West for his Farmville, NC 4 pack trader last weekend!
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 26th, 2018, 10:59 pm

I thought fuse may have reviewed this before. I'm the slow guy here.

Go Getter IPA-Casita Cerveceria

"Canned on 06/27/18" legibly dotted on bottom of this pint can.

"Brewed and canned for Casita Cerveceria by Duck-Rabbit Craft Brewery" I knew I'd heard of that brewery somewhere recently

Orange-lemon color, half-inch fizzy head that really does smell like OJ as fuse stated above, maybe with a splash of pineapple juice. There's a lot of citrus on the palate with orange being the leader (it's a wheat IPA so not that surprising) but there's a drop of grapefruit juice, some peach jam and a splash of mango, all accompanying mild, floral bitterness. A guess on the IBUs would be 50 with the ABV stated at 6.8%. Not quite as hazy and/or fruity as a NEIPA but I think it could easily pass as one. Ingredients:

Grains: Pilsner malt, flaked, white and red wheat

Hops: Mosaic, Idaho 7, Loral and Amarillo

Another high quality offering from this brewery. I'll keeping searching for and buying their stuff.

Thanks, fuse!
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 30th, 2018, 11:15 pm

Brown Ale-Duck Rabbit Craft Brewery

With a tip of the pint glass to August West for this trader at the UVA tailgate. Thanks!

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle (WTH? No cans in Farmville, NC?) into an Anderson Valley pint glass was a clear mahogany color with a one finger head (not *that* finger). Toffee and dirt aromas with milk chocolate, burnt caramel, and a bit of coffee flavors and some herbal, earthy bitter (Amarillo) and floral (Saaz) hops. I'll guess IBUs about 40, a bit too hoppy for a brown ale, with ABV at 5.6% which is pretty much on target for the style. I wanted half a rack of Memphis ribs and some seasoned fries with this ale.

One of fuse's traders on deck tonight with a review tomorrow.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 31st, 2018, 8:38 am

The Fujiwhara Effect (mostly illegible date on bottom of can)-(collaboration) Captain Lawrence and Trophy Brewing Companies

Pint can trader from fuse! Thanks! Weighs in very heavily on the delicious side .

Poured aggressively into a pint glass (two 8 ounce servings) for a creamy/frothy head. Mildly cloudy, golden-yellow color.

Difference of opinion: I thought the aromas and tastes were pineapple and other tropical fruit juices with a mild to moderately bitter citrusy finish that fuse perceived up front.

Consensus of opinion: An excellent fruity IPA.

I'll guess 50 IBUs (more than a typical NEIPA, but not as hazy either) and the ABV was 7.5%, sitting on the IPA/IIPA border.

This one is worth an encore thank you.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 1st, 2018, 7:07 pm

Cherry Wheat (draft)-Little City Brewing Company

Local! New brewery to me, in fact, I didn't know they even existed.

Two ounce sampler/palate cleanser before the big boys came out to play.

Reddish-tan pour with a foamy head. There's a bit of orange and cherry on the nose and the tastes are pretty mild with a bit of citrus and hints of cherry. Happily, it didn't taste like cough syrup. I'll guess 20 IBUs and the ABV is 4.5% so a nice prelude to an Italian sub and a stout one.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 1st, 2018, 7:13 pm

Celestial Dawn Speedway Stout (draft)-Alesmith Brewing Company

Not local .

Half pint pour with a thin, tan head on top of a dark, dark brown elixir. There's a lot of java upfront with just about as much throughout the tasting along with dark caramel, semi-sweet chocolate, burnt grains and a moderate, roasty bitterness. It's and imperial stout based on their Speedway Stout so I'll guess IBUs about 50 and the ABV was a deceptive 12%. Not a good pairing with my sub, but, it's International Stout Day so who cares?
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 1st, 2018, 10:16 pm

Saison au Genievre (draft)-Left Hand Brewing Company

Left Hand celebrating 25 years of beer!

Not local .

Two ounce taster before my second half pint at Bottle Revolution celebrating International Stout Day.

Pour was a straw-yellow with a moderate head. A bit funky nose with some straw. Mild tastes pretty typical for the style with some pear, apple, black pepper and added juniper berries. IBUs at 10 (I cheated and looked at a can) with ABV at 6.8%, a bit high for the style. Quality stuff that I'd buy a pint (can or draft) of sometime.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 1st, 2018, 10:33 pm

International Stout Day-The closer.

Big Bad Baptist #113 (draft)-Epic Brewing Company

I'm guessing the # is correct based on this info from their website:

Release Number: 113
ABV%: 12.10%
Brew Date: 1/5/2018
Pack Date: 10/9/2018
Brewery: Denver
Malt: Maris Otter Malt, 2-Row Brewer Malt, Crystal, Light Munich Malt T1, 2-Row chocolate malt, 2-row black malt, roasted barley
Boil: Nugget, Chinook, Cascade
Spices: Caffe Ibis and Cocoa Nibs

Bottle Revolution claims Epic has stopped distributing in NC and they were very happy/lucky to get this rare keg to tap today. WTH?

Poured a dark mahogany with a thin, tan head. Heavenly nose of dark chocolate and espresso. Coffee wins on the taste buds, followed closely by semi-sweet chocolate, burnt dark caramel and a very mild bourbon/boozy finish from the barrel aging. Moderate bitterness, some from the heavily roasted grains and some from the hop bill. I'll guess IBUs about 50 based on the imperial stout style. ABV was a stunning 12.1%. Another liquid dessert that would also be very happy at a brunchgate with or without some French toast, espresso fudge cups or triple chocolate brownies.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 2nd, 2018, 6:24 pm

Day late and dollar short review from last PM.

Milk Stout-Duck Rabbit Craft Brewery

Best by 1/19 notched on label.

Simple but classic milk stout. Almost inky black, vigorous pour from a 12 ounce bottle from August West at last tailgate (Thanks!!) yielded a frothy, tan head that lingered quite a while. Nose of charred grains and dark chocolate. Mildly sweet initial sip from the lactose added, followed by a splash of coffee (not added) and dark caramel and semi-sweet chocolate (neither added). I'll guess IBUs of 40-50 (roasty, not bitter) and the ABV was 5.7%. Very nice finish to International Stout Day yesterday.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 2nd, 2018, 11:32 pm

Home Grown-Victory Brewing Company

Dry-hopped lager.

This is the first 12 ounce can that's my share of the 15 pack bought to trade at the UVa tailgate.

A lager? Meh?

Not so fast, fella. Here's the ingredient list and then tell me what your hopes and expectations might be:

Malt: Pilsner, CaraPils

Hops: Centennial, Mosaic, Azacca, Cascade, Chinook, Citra

The only hops listed on the can are Azacca, Mosaic and Citra so my speculation was juicy and that was indeed correct. The pour was the typical yellow-straw with a moderate, creamy head. Pineapple, pear and apple scents from a lager? It can't be. But it was. Apples, pears, pineapples and melon tastes? Really? You betcha! There were no piney/resin-y flavors from the 3Cs, Centennial, Cascade and Chinook hops and rather mild bitterness, guess 30 IBUs and it was all fruity and juicy bitterness. Wait, is this a New England lager? Nah, just a very distinct brew from Victory. ABV was 4.8% so an excellent joint lubricant for a night on the dance floor . I'm not sure whether I'll keep or trade the twins of the remaining 4 varieties from the box.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 3rd, 2018, 8:03 am

From 11/23/13:
devildeac wrote:From August, 2011:

Golden Monkey-Victory Brewing

Victory's answer to Duvel. This is a triple style Belgian ale with a yellow, cloudy pour, a bit of white pepper on the palate and a bit of orange peel and coriander, too. IBU are low, guessing 20-30 and the ABV is 9.5%. Serve chilled in a goblet and enjoy with a fruity salsa topping on your chicken or lighter body seafood. I had not enjoyed one of these is a while and bought a 6er for trading purposes and was pleasantly surprised to sample one of these again.

This year's tasting was compliments of duketaylor who left a couple of these at the NCSU tailgate, I got to sip one of these again this week and greatly appreciated that opportunity. Not many different thoughts this year. When you find a winning recipe, keep brewing it. Thanks, Chuck!
From last PM:

Golden Monkey-Victory Brewing Company

Wow, almost 5 years since I tasted one of these. This one was beer #2 from the mixed 15 pack I bought a couple weeks ago for sharing/trading purposes.

I don't think they changed the recipe much, if any, during this time, but why should they? The spiciness may have been a bit more prominent in this version but all the other characteristics were very similar. A very enjoyable nightcap.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » November 3rd, 2018, 10:38 am

The Pitt County Bar had a Continuing Legal Education seminar on Substance Abuse Education this past Thursday afternoon at the Pitt Street Brewery. Let that sink in: mental health professionals and recovering alcoholics came to speak to lawyers about substance abuse at a bar.

Anywho, afterward, we had a social hour, so I tried one of the beers on tap. The one I really wanted to try is called "Chatty Cathy," but it's a coffee stout, and I don't really like heavy beer.

So, I had a pint of "Mirror for the Sun Lime Blonde" ale. It has an ABV of 5.1 and an IBU of 10. It contains two malts: 2-Row and Unmalted Wheat, and as the name suggests, a slight edge of juicy lime! The pour was a lovely citrus yellow, and this was a refreshing drink to accompany hors d'oeuvres of sausage balls and baked brie on the patio on a balmy November afternoon.

They brew the beer on the premises. They have picnic tables outside in the front and in the back, comfy leather couches inside, high top tables, low top tables, and an assortment of games, including corn hole and board games.

Y'all come to Greenville, and we'll do a beer tasting at Pitt Street Brewery!

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 3rd, 2018, 11:23 pm

Bavarian Amber Lager-Red Oak Brewery

Ozzie and dd split a victory, bowl-eligible 6er tonight at La Maison devildeac!

Woo-freaking-hoo!

Poured from 12 ounce bottles into standard pint glasses with the Paradigm of Optimism sipping from my 2010 National Championship pint glass. Amber color with a frothy, tan head. Mild caramel-y aromas and tastes with light herbal bitterness. I'll guess IBUs around 20 and the ABV is probably <6%. Nice pairing with some spicy queso and a chocolate chunk cookie after the Miami hail Mary failed. Karma.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » November 4th, 2018, 12:05 am

devildeac wrote:Bavarian Amber Lager-Red Oak Brewery

Ozzie and dd split a victory, bowl-eligible 6er tonight at La Maison devildeac!

Woo-freaking-hoo!

Poured from 12 ounce bottles into standard pint glasses with the Paradigm of Optimism sipping from my 2010 National Championship pint glass. Amber color with a frothy, tan head. Mild caramel-y aromas and tastes with light herbal bitterness. I'll guess IBUs around 20 and the ABV is probably <6%. Nice pairing with some spicy queso and a chocolate chunk cookie after the Miami hail Mary failed. Karma.
And the two bottles each that followed the first were just as good! EnJoyed the company immensely and the game too! LGD GTHc! Let’s beat those cheating bastards next week!
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com