Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by devildeac » October 11th, 2018, 10:50 pm

Next up:

For Science (draft)-Wolf Hills Brewing Company

We're still local.

Listed on a drawing taped to the bottom of their fluorescent beer board as a ?Indiana pale ale.

Honestly, it didn't look much different than Sunny Side Up and the only difference in the nose and tasting was the absence of any coffee flavors. IBUs at 20 and ABV a tad higher at 6.5%. Another average offering.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 11th, 2018, 10:54 pm

Third and final taster:

Wolf's Den (draft)-Wolf Hills Brewing Company

This was their DIPA. Same appearance with a bit more citrus on the nose and palate with a bit more bitterness and burn at 74 IBUs and 8% ABV. The citrus and/or tropical zing and freshness I expect from the style were rather weak. Not a bad beer but not one I'd revisit.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 12th, 2018, 11:27 pm

Fresh Frog Raw Hop (draft)-Hoppin' Frog Brewery

Drink local!

An imperial pale ale made with freshly picked hops direct from the harvest.

Pour was a orange-amber with a small, off-white head. Nose? Dank, wet hops and oil. Tastes of citrus rind, oil, resin and grapefruit. IBUs? Not stated but I'll guess 50. ABV was 7.8%. Paired wonderfully with a shared mixed green salad with a ton of fresh blue cheese, sliced apples, butternut squash, candied walnut and a mustard-balsamic vinagrette and an Oktoberfest-boiled, farm-to-table brat, house made sauerkraut, slathered with beer cheddar cheese on a pretzel bu with some fingerling potato wedges disguised as a pretty authentic German potato salad, cold, briny, bacon-y and vinegary.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 13th, 2018, 12:18 am

Barrel-Aged B.O.R.I.S. The Crusher (draft)-Hoppin' Frog Brewery

More local!

Five ounces of liquid decadence for dessert a few scant hours ago.

Appearance was almost black with a thin, mocha head. Chocolate and bourbon immediately wafted to the nares with a smooth, silky mouthfeel and more chocolate and bourbon on the palate with some dark caramel and raisins. I'll guess IBUs about 60 but minimally bitter. ABV was 9.4% with nothing hiding here, but, still, dangerously sippable.

I think I had a bomber of this a decade ago or more and was delighted to re-visit tonight but kinda, sorta wish I had an aliquot of their BBA T.O.R.I.S., labeled as a triple oatmeal Russian imperial stout that tipped the scales at 13.8% ABV. But, alas, our journey wasn't complete and I still had about 15 miles to drive to our night's destination.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 13th, 2018, 8:45 am

When in Rome (draft)-Missing Mountain Brewing Company

Part of a 4 beer flight ($10 for any four 5 ounce choices on their beer list, house-brewed or guest taps-most were listed at $4 each) shared with our son last PM.

Local hazy juice.

Cloudy orange-yellow with a small head. The aromas start this off right with very pineapple-y and grapefruity scents. Tastes like a Dole fruit juice blend of orange, pineapple, mango and grapefruit with some rind-y bitterness. No IBUs quoted anywhere so I'll guess about 40 for this NEIPA. The ABV rolls in at 7.2%.

Excellent example of the style.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 13th, 2018, 8:59 am

Le Terroir (draft)-New Belgium Brewing Company

Not local but if they're offering this foeder-aged, dry-hopped American wild ale as a choice in a flight, then I'm ordering it.

I *might* not have chosen this without fuse's posting a year or three ago about how good he thought this was (IIRC).

Pour was a clean, dark amber with a small head. Funky and sour aromas preceded tart/sour mango, orange, peach, vinegar and wet wood and earthy flavor. Amazingly complex ale. IBUs are 12 (sour and tart, not bitter) with an ABV of 7.5%. This would be a great intro beer for those wanting to explore the expanding world of sour ales. Ingredients (from their website):

Hops: Nugget (Bittering), Amarillo and Strata (Dry-Hop)

Malts: Pale, Wheat, C-80, Carapils, Oats

Yeast: lager ()

Special processing: 100% acidified in barrels containing our original house mixed culture (numerous cultures of Lacto, Brettanomyces and Pedio)
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 13th, 2018, 11:18 am

Pumpkin Pie Hair Cutted Freak (draft)-Missing Mountain Brewing Company

"You Fellas been doin a little boozin have Ya???" (our son had to Google this quote)

Cuyahoga Falls local brewery responsible for this chocolate pumpkin imperial porter and a high quality offering.

Dark brown hue with a small, creamy, tan head. Much more chocolate than pumpkin and/or spices here and those are good features, both aromatically and on the palate. The chocolate is dark and mildly sweet, the pumpkin is a bit "dry" and the spicing is rather subtle, guessing some cinnamon and nutmeg. I'll guess 40 IBUs as it's pretty "roasty" but not really hop-bittered. The ABV is 8%.

Two quality offerings from the local folks.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 13th, 2018, 11:30 am

Riot Act Jack (draft)-Mad Cap Brewing Company

Nearby local.

Final 5 ounce sample of the night (again, a shared flight) was a DIPA and another high quality brew.

Pour was a light gold with a thin head. Tropical and citrusy up front and the tastes followed with the same with grapefruit, orange, rind and a nice honey-like finish. I'll guess high IBUs in the 60-70 range but extremely well balanced with a dangerous ABV of 9.8%. Another excellent Ohio beer. I think their craft industry has really taken off with their "pop the cap" of a couple years ago that used to be 12% but now has no cap.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 13th, 2018, 10:12 pm

Afternoon football beers while watching tOSU in our son's FIL's man cave while the ladies stood outside in a barely heated tent for a baby shower. Who said guys is dumm?

Harvest Time-Big Boss Brewing Company

Pint can included in my October beer club 4 pack and transported 500+ miles to share 3 ways and...

...drink local!

Poured a slightly cloudy light amber with a modest, semi-creamy head. Aromas and tastes as expected from this pumpkin ale, include a mélange of spices and some pumpkin. I'll guess 30 IBUs and the ABV on the can was 5.8%. It's probably been 10 years since I sipped this and it was again average, IIRC, in a rather crowded patch of gourd brews.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 13th, 2018, 10:59 pm

Rum Barrel Aged Pumking-Southern Tier Brewing

Oh. My. Goodness. Add this to the short list of high quality pumpkin beers.

Beer #2 during our warm and comfy man cave event watching tOSU football today in Cuyahoga Falls while the ladies stood outside with temperatures in the low to mid 40s in a barely heated tent wearing jackets and blankets for our DIL's baby shower.

Poured from a 500 ml bottle and shared 3 ways. Clean/clear orange-amber pour with a thin head. This stuff smelled like booze. Good Caribbean aged medium/dark rum. First tasting impression is also aged rum, followed by brown sugar and closing with faint spicing and pumpkin. I'll estimate IBUs around 30 and the ABV was a stunning 13.4%, meaning the bottle August West (?) brought to our shoe-nc tailgate about 4 years ago was the "children's" version, clocking in at "only" about 9.5% .
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 14th, 2018, 8:57 pm

From 8/29/16:
devildeac wrote:
devildeac wrote:
devildeac wrote:Dire Wolf (draft)-Wolf's Ridge Brewing

Their "base" imperial stout (you'll read why with reviews 2 and 3 ). Black as night, viscous as Valvoline, dark chocolate-y as Ghiradelli with a splash of espresso. I'll guess 60 IBUs with an ABV of 10.4%

Dire Wolf One Line (draft)-Wolf's Ridge

The coffee infused version. Same as above with a very generous infusion of local espresso, but I can't remember which roaster our server named. The "base" version had no adjuncts. This variation was loaded with rich, dark roast coffee flavors. Same stats. Decadent.
Coffee Vanilla Dire Wolf (draft)-Wolf's Ridge

I am very fortunate to have shared this 5 beer sampler with our son. Somewhat surprisingly (and thankfully), the coffee in this version didn't overwhelm the vanilla, which was quite prominent. Same stats. Beyond decadent. I liked this offering better, but not by much, and our son liked the One Line variant better, but they were both amazing. Now for that BBA version...
From yesterday afternoon:

Coffee Vanilla Dire Wolf-Wolf's Ridge Brewing Company

Third and final shared brew while watching tOSU-Minnesota and following Duke on espn, so this brew from Columbus was kinda/sorta local.

Three of us divided the bomber. Poured a viscous, deep, dark brown color with a modest, creamy tan head. I thought the coffee was more prominent up front and on first taste with a slightly sweet, vanilla finish. Very smooth and thick mouthfeel, almost fudge-y, with dark caramel and chocolate-y tastes, too, without either being added. I'll guess IBUs of 50-50 based on the Russian imperial stout style and the ABV was 10.6% on the label. I think they brew a number of variants of this each year and this one remains outstanding.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 14th, 2018, 10:18 pm

From 5/23/14:
devildeac wrote:Beer tasting with dinner last PM.

Cost-$0

Beer costs 2014-still at about $112.

Cocktail hour beverage:

KA-BAR Brown Ale-Railhouse Brewing

Their story:

http://www.railhousebrew.com/about-us/

Pretty cool.

This beer:

Twelve ounce bottle poured a medium to almost dark brown. Single finger head and a nose of brown sugar, a floral bouquet and mixed nuts. Taste were caramel and almonds with a bit of a bite for a finish. Grains are traditional brewers, crystal and chocolate malts with Mt. Hood and Cascade hops. IBUs 29.5 and ABV 5.75%. Good starter beer and matched well with some small plates of cucumber and dip, brie and jam on crackers and mini quiches.

Good beer story, too:

http://www.railhousebrew.com/beers/

Completely new brewery to me and would definitely try their other offerings. There was a brewery in Southern Pines a decade or so ago whose name I can't recall and I wonder whether these folks took over their old building.
From two hours ago:

KA-BAR Brown Ale-Railhouse Brewery

Fourth and final beer from October's beer club litter.

Pretty similar impressions to almost 4.5 years ago with just about all the features a good brown ale should have. IBUs at 29 with the ABV increased slightly at 6% now. Glad to see this brewery still in business.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 14th, 2018, 10:35 pm

From 7/16/18:
devildeac wrote:Super Saison (draft)-pFriem Family Brewers

Another taster before purchase .

Same zip code.

Pour was slightly cloudy and straw-yellow. Modest, meringue-like head. Nose of straw, not fully ripe pears and apples and a whiff of spice. Tastes of the same with some lemon and a grain or two of freshly ground black pepper. I'd have never guessed the IBUs of 38 (I actually had this before the Belgian Strong Dark above) and super because the ABV was 9.5%, rather high for the style. Wouldn't hesitate a moment to order a full pour of this one either. I'd pair with a fruit plate/dessert or a salmon BLT.
From now:

Super Saison (bottled on _____)-pFriem Family Brewers

No bottling date on label so I'll guess June/July this year as tonight's 375 ml corked and caged bottle () was procured at the brewery in July.

Fuse does his usual top shelf review above so the only things I'll add will be the yellow-straw color with a bit of haze and the amazing sippability of this dangerous imperial farmhouse/saison ale.

Really looking forward to the Belgian dark strong ale I sampled at the brewery also before purchasing a 375 ml bottle finished in the same manner as the Super Saison.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » October 15th, 2018, 11:24 am

Apple Harvest Ale

JontheMethodist and I went to Raleigh Beer and Hymns at the Oak and Dagger Public House last Sunday night. I had a chicken quesadilla and a glass of Oak and Dagger's Apple Harvest Ale. It was a light, golden ale with a crispy apple taste. The ABV was 4.1%, perfect for an evening of hymn singing with friends.

There! I reviewed another drink on the Ymm, Beer thread!

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 16th, 2018, 10:24 pm

From 7/16/18:
devildeac wrote:Belgian Strong Dark (draft)-pFriem Family Brewers

Drink indigenously!

Why not sample before you buy? The beertender was kind enough to pull a 2 ounce sample before completing my take-away purchase.

He managed to put a one inch, tan head on the small pour . Dark brown color with alluring aromas of dark fruits, toffee and dark rum. Tastes of milk chocolate dipped cherries, raisins, dates and figs with a warming, rummy (not added or aged) finish. Not labeled a quad but that's what it most resembled. IBUs at 38 and ABV was 10%. Glad I only had a taste but, if forced, I'd have another 8 ounces for $6. Pairing? A 12 ounce snifter would be fine.
From tonight:

Belgian Style Dark Ale (bottled on 2/12/18)-pFriem Family Brewers

For <$7, tax and Oregon bottle deposit included, you get a 375 ml corked and caged kinda sexy bottle filled with a cloudy, medium to dark brown ale with a tan, foamy, Belgian lacy head that lingered for the entire length of my 30 minute sipping from my oversized Ommegang tulip. Fuse is right, there's not a huge aromatic presence here but raisins and brown sugar are good descriptors. Tastes are toffee, milk chocolate dipped figs, dates and raisins with some mild earthy and herbal bitterness. No IBUs quoted so I'll guess 30 and the ABV of 10% is very deceptive and dangerous. I guess the closest category this fits is a quadruple and a very good one. I ponder what fuse's impressions might have been had he had this 10% ABV ale before the 14% Brüeprint quad. Very happy to have smuggled this back from Oregon this July and cellared it for another 3 months.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 18th, 2018, 10:40 pm

Bold and Brut-iful (draft)-Bill's Front Porch Pub and Brewery (Bill's Brewing Company)

Drink local!

A relatively new brewery on US Business 17S, aka Market Street, in Wilmington, NC.

Half pint pour ($3.50) at Bottle Revolution tonight as fuse finished his pint. Also my first Brut IPA. Fuse has fine senses of smell and taste. The only thing I can really add would be I thought there were some stone fruit flavors, too. I'll guess IBUs about 40 and the ABV on the electronic beverage board was 6%. A very pleasant new style for me which I'd certainly re-visit. I'd also pay a visit to Bill's later this fall or winter while at the NC coast.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 18th, 2018, 10:57 pm

Yeah Toast! (draft)-Gizmo Brew Works

Drink even more local!

French Toast Brown Ale

Initially, I thought "gimmick beer" but after 8 ounces of this for about $3, I'll echo fuse's comments above.

Pour was a dark brown with a small mocha head and a sweet, maple syrupy nose. Smooth mouth feel with wonderful tastes of brown sugar, maple syrup, cinnamon and bread. Minimal bitterness, guessing IBUs of 30 and the ABV was 5.8% so I could easily pour several ounces of this over pancakes, waffles or French toast and then finish the remainder of the 12 ounce can. Looks like it's at the brewery for $11 for a 6er and I may stop by tomorrow after work and buy a litter and gift one to our tailgate chef who'll be making his famous French toast casserole at tailgate Saturday AM. I'm not sure which one would be better.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 21st, 2018, 4:30 pm

Guess I'd better get started on the tailgate beer list with each brew shared among 4-5 tasters:

Leading off was:

Peach Tripel-Hardywood Park Craft Brewery

I contributed this, my second and final 500 ml bottle that fuse traded a few months ago.

Pour was a cloudy peach hue (D'oh!). Fairly generous and fizzy head with a thin coating of Belgian lace last through most of the sipping. Expected aromas of peaches (added) and maybe some oranges (not added). Mildly sweet, peachy tastes with a pinch of white pepper from the Belgian yeasts and some light brown sugar. The label claims apricots are added but I'm not sure I'd have claimed that. Very pleasing on the palate at 25 IBUs and dangerously sippable at 8.2% ABV which is a bit "thin" for the style. It's not a "cobbler" like Mamaw's Mean Cobbler but still a very refreshing dessert beer that would also pair with soft cheeses, sweet and sour chicken or shrimp or a fruit tart. A very nice palate cleanser to start off our brunchgate.

No passes were dropped in the consumption of this beer.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 21st, 2018, 4:41 pm

Second player to enter was:

Punkuccino-Elysian (part of AB-InBev's $100 billion hangover *) Brewing

Bomber graciously contributed by dpslaw. Thanks!

Pour was a dark brown with a tan, frothy head. Listed as an ale and it really resembled a porter or stout. Strong coffee aromas with a bit of spice. Very forward coffee flavors, but not overpowering. Dark roast, please. There's a bit of dryness from the pumpkin and nice, subtle spicing with cinnamon and nutmeg, both added. Estimated IBUs of 30-40 (roasty, not bitter) with ABV of 6%. Perfect pairing with some breakfast pastries.

No QB sack here.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 21st, 2018, 9:31 pm

The battle of the Allagash brews:

Curieux (Bottling: April, 19, 2013)-Allagash Brewing Company

Cases bottled: 750

Credit: August West

Poured from a corked and caged 750 ml bottle. Pour was a slightly hazy, golden-sunshine color with a modest, lacy, lingering head. Nose was orange, coconut, wet wood, white pepper and a faint wafting of bourbon. Tastes were coconut, vanilla, oak, orange with a warm boozy finish. As AW said, "Not much bite to this one." This was one frighteningly smooth bourbon barrel-aged Belgian-style tripel ale. I'll guess IBUs around 30. ABV was 11%. The alcohol perception comes mostly from the BBA but this one is dangerous. Pretty amazing to have this after 5.5 years of aging.