Ymm, Beer!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by devildeac » October 1st, 2018, 10:54 pm

A convenient time for a delayed mini-vertical.

Rübæus (2014)-Founders Brewing

Saturday's "adventure" beer from August West in the form of a 12 ounce bottle he discovered cleaning out his beer fridge. Thanks!

None of us new what to expect with a 4 year old fruit beer and all of us were pleasantly surprised. Poured a gorgeous, medium ruby with a small, fizzy head. There was a very small amount of sediment in the last half ounce. Aromas were all berries with a hint of tartness. Tasted like a strong raspberry lemonade, more sweet than tart/sour. Minimal bitterness with IBUs at 15 with the ABV at 5.7%. A delightful discovery of an old fruit ale. Next up, Rübæus 2018...
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 1st, 2018, 10:55 pm

devildeac wrote:A convenient time for a delayed mini-vertical.

Rübæus (2014)-Founders Brewing

Saturday's "adventure" beer from August West in the form of a 12 ounce bottle he discovered cleaning out his beer fridge. Thanks!

None of us new what to expect with a 4 year old fruit beer and all of us were pleasantly surprised. Poured a gorgeous, medium ruby with a small, fizzy head. There was a very small amount of sediment in the last half ounce. Aromas were all berries with a hint of tartness. Tasted like a strong raspberry lemonade, more sweet than tart/sour. Minimal bitterness with IBUs at 15 with the ABV at 5.7%. A delightful discovery of an old fruit ale. Next up, Rübæus 2018...
Rübæus (canned on 7-23-18)-Founders Brewing

This 12 ounce can was included in my September beer club 4 pack that I picked up Friday, not knowing what AW was bringing to tailgate to share on Saturday so quite the coincidence. Pretty similar appearance and aromas but a bit fresher and more berry-like aromas wafted from my pint glass just moments ago. Tastes were fresher, too, and perhaps a bit sweeter and more like a raspberry-lemon soda than a lemonade. IBUs and ABV were the same. Quite the palate pleaser. Fortunately, Mrs. dd made her bitter beer face when offered a sip so I got to enjoy almost the full can . She queried why this was "nothing like that raspberry beer you offer me from Wisconsin." I could only shake my head and offer to finish the remainder of her portion (aka "more for me"). This is really a delicious fruit ale and sometime I'd like to side-by-side this with Raspberry Tart, thinking/knowing in advance which would be the clear winner.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 2nd, 2018, 10:55 pm

From 4/12/16:
devildeac wrote:From 11/16/14:

(in celebration of ol roy, who fits the description well, and his NC (non-championship) this month)

Backwoods Bastard (bottled on 9/26/14)-Founders Brewing

This is a fascinating creation. My guess is that it is a variation of their Dirty Bastard which is a scotch type ale with a bit of peat and smoke. This blends nicely with the oak aging in whiskey barrels which gives it a bit of vanilla, a bit of oak and a moderate amount of boozey bourbon flavor. There are a ton of dark cherries in the brew with very mild bitterness and an IBU of 50. The ABV of 10.2% makes this quite a sipper so I'd serve it at cellar temperature in a snifter with a plate of fruit or some soft, mild cheeses for dessert. Might be heavenly with some chocolate covered strawberries. This was another August West contribution that 4 of us shared and tried to squeeze the last drop or two out of the 12 ounce bottle when we were done.

From tonight:

Somehow, I must have had one of my own sequestered after all these 18+ months .

Clarification: There are no cherries in this ale but it sure tastes like it.

Other tastes: Toasted coconut, figs, dates and dark caramel.

Cost: I think about $14 for the 4 pack and worth it.

Ratings: beeradvocate 95; ratebeer 100
From 9/29/18:

Backwoods Bastard (9/26/14)-Founders Brewing

August West gets the credit here for saving and sharing. Thanks!

This became smoother and more mellow with almost another 2 years of aging. All the above still apply so no need to repeat. I'm sorry not to have bought any of the 2017 version (might be $16+ for the 4 pack now, but there are waaaaay too many brews on the market.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 2nd, 2018, 11:02 pm

From 2/8/17:
devildeac wrote:From 4/12/16:
devildeac wrote:From 11/16/14:

(in celebration of ol roy, who fits the description well, and his NC (non-championship) this month)

Backwoods Bastard (bottled on 9/26/14)-Founders Brewing

This is a fascinating creation. My guess is that it is a variation of their Dirty Bastard which is a scotch type ale with a bit of peat and smoke. This blends nicely with the oak aging in whiskey barrels which gives it a bit of vanilla, a bit of oak and a moderate amount of boozey bourbon flavor. There are a ton of dark cherries in the brew with very mild bitterness and an IBU of 50. The ABV of 10.2% makes this quite a sipper so I'd serve it at cellar temperature in a snifter with a plate of fruit or some soft, mild cheeses for dessert. Might be heavenly with some chocolate covered strawberries. This was another August West contribution that 4 of us shared and tried to squeeze the last drop or two out of the 12 ounce bottle when we were done.

From tonight (4/12/16):

Somehow, I must have had one of my own sequestered after all these 18+ months .

Clarification: There are no cherries in this ale but it sure tastes like it.

Other tastes: Toasted coconut, figs, dates and dark caramel.

Cost: I think about $14 for the 4 pack and worth it.

Ratings: beeradvocate 95; ratebeer 100
From last PM:

Backwoods Bastard (bottled on 9/24/15)-Founders Brewing

From a ricks68 delivery during a late 2015 tailgate, IIRC. Two down, two remaining.

This was a 12 ounce bottle poured with a thin, tan head into a snifter and sipped over about an hour. Whisky and dark fruit juices on the nose. Brown sugar, cherries, dates, figs, raisins, vanilla, toasted coconut, light smoke and booze on the taste buds. Lots of booze. Still 50 IBUs but they've raised the bar on the ABV and it's now 11.6%. Nightcap. No food pairings. Outstanding again. The other two will be gone before 9/17.
From 9/29/18:

Backwoods Bastard (bottled on 9/24/15)-Founders Brewing

Many thanks to mattman91 for saving and sharing on Saturday!

Very similar impressions to the above review but with a bit more of an edge than the 2014 version. It could have been the 1 year less of cellaring or it could have been the new, higher ABV. Or, both may apply. Still amazingly smooth, rich, fruity and boozy on the palate. Worth seeking out a 4 pack (or more) and enjoying annually.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 3rd, 2018, 10:49 am

Red Seal Ale-North Coast Brewing Company

Not many choices with a dinner out last PM and this was the pick of the litter and a pretty average one at that. I'm not sure whether it's being spoiled from this past tailgate, my inventory/tastes, a beer that was past its prime or simply a mediocre product.

Pour was a reddish-amber with a moderate, foamy head in a pilsner glass (restaurant's choice, not mine; and, I had to request a glass ). Some toffee on the nose with flavors of the same plus a mix of herbal and piney hops for a moderately bitter finish. IBUs of 42 and ABV at 5.4%, so, I could have had a second but passed.

This brewery has been around for 30 years and I've had quite the assortment of fine beers from their collection from session ales like Blue Star and Scrimshaw to high gravity like Old Rasputin and Pranqster and even BBA gems like Old Stock and more Old Rasputin so this one puzzles/disappoints me a bit.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 4th, 2018, 7:01 pm

Twenty-Six Revolutions (draft)-Twenty-Six Acres (collaboration with Bottle Revolution, Apex, NC) Brewing

$3 for a half pint after work today.

All the goodies you'd expect in/from a NEIPA: Hazy, yellow color with a modest, foamy head. Pineapple-grapefruit flavors with some rind and core with mild tropical bitterness. Estimated IBUs of 40 and the ABV was 6.2%. Would taste again and/or pair with any sweet and sour dishes.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 4th, 2018, 7:14 pm

Rev That A** Up (draft)-A** Clown Brewing

"Drink one, don't be one"

Drink sorta regional (Cornelius, NC).

Couldn't resist the name, style or a free taster .

It's an imperial milk stout brewed with cold press coffee and aged on toasted coconut. Pour was almost black with a small, tan head. Pretty heavy java on the nose followed by more java, semi-sweet dark chocolate, hints of coconut and dark caramel. IBUs estimated at 40 and the ABV was 9.7%. I shoulda had a taste of the NEIPA first and bought a half pint of this for $3.50. An excellent brew that would stand alone nicely or pair with any chocolate and/or caramel dessert.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 4th, 2018, 10:45 pm

2XSmash (on bottom of can-DOB 09/12/18)-Southern Tier Brewing

One of 5 traders from August West last weekend, this is a single hop (Mosaic) and single malt (Special Pale) IIPA. What a gem! Thanks!!

Pour from the 12 ounce can was a light gold-amber with a generous, foamy head which lingered nicely. Pineapple and passion fruit aromas followed by the same tastes with some guava and mango. Very pleasant rindy, pithy bitterness with hints of a honey finish. No IBU stats so I'll guess 60. ABV is 8.1%. I'd pair with a curry or mild to moderately spicy Asian entree. For someone (anyone) who has tired of IPAs/IIPAs, this is quite refreshing/redeeming and I wouldn't hesitate buying a 6er of this for myself with the intent to sip a few and trade a few, too.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 5th, 2018, 7:50 pm

From 8/21/16:
devildeac wrote:Tangier-Southern Tier Brewing Company

WTH? A session IPA? From Southern Tier? Must be a mistake?!?!

Nope. A non-extreme beer from the brewers of Choklat, Choklat Oranj, Mokah and Creme Brulee. To be fair, they brew a lot of session, seasonal and standard brews so I was happy to see this as a single in my 4 pack of beer-of-the-month club from a local package shop. Poured a slightly hazy orange with a citrus nose. Much like the Big Squeeze, I think I'd have preferred tangerine juice instead of peel, but there was a bit of citrusy sweetness coupled with a bit more than expected bitterness from 3 unnamed hops plus the rindiness. Four unnamed malts lend to a bit of caramel sweetness. No IBUs listed but I'll venture 40-50 and the ABV is sessionable as advertised/expected at 4.6%. I think it'd be tasty with some orange chicken, sweet and sour chicken/pork/shrimp or a fruity salsafied light seafood dish. Glad to taste but wouldn't buy a 6er.
From tonight:

Tangier-Southern Tier Brewing Company

Happy to taste again as August West included 5 varieties from his 15 pack of traders from last weekend. Thanks!!

Very pleasant, light-bodied IPA to have with a large (shared) ribeye, some sauteed spinach and some roasted Yukon Gold potatoes tonight for a home-cooked meal. I thought about half a bomber of BBA People's Porter which would have made a nice pairing with the steak but it's about 80 degrees out and something lighter sounded/felt more appropriate.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 6th, 2018, 7:49 am

I thought I had tasted this before as part of their Overpack'ed 15 pack I bought a couple years ago to sip/share/trade. Apparently not.

Nu Skool-Southern Tier Brewing Company

"Why The Hell Not?"

"New American hops with a tropical twist" What's that mean? Here ya go-their PR:

"Like craft brewers, hop breeders and farmers have come a long way. Nu Skool IPA showcases new and experimental American-grown hops to take advantage of their distinct, complex, alluring aromas & explosive flavors. We’ve selected some of the newest and freshest hops available, including Mosaic®, Ekuanot®, Simcoe® and as-yet unnamed, experimental hop #07270 to create something much more vibrant than ever. Something much more aromatic. Something quite delicious."

Pour from a 12 ounce can into a standard pint glass was a light golden-yellow with a moderate, creamy head. Lots of citrus to the nose, followed by rind, orange, pineapple and grapefruity tastes. Mattman was astute when he found the IBUs as I couldn't find that stat anywhere, even on KenPom . Bold enough to sip with a spicy dish, fruity enough to pair with sweet and sour entrees.

Some variety packs are dull/boring/repetitive. Southern Tier's Overpack'd (https://www.stbcbeer.com/beer/overpackd/) is not and I look forward to the other traders from AW this weekend or next week.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 6th, 2018, 10:34 am

Javalantern (growlered on 9/28 for 9/29 VT game)-Haw River Farmhouse Ales

Many thanks to August West for procuring this 32 ounce jug from Growler Grlz and sharing with us last Saturday!!

Pour was almost opaque with a rather thick, creamy, mocha head. Pass the whipped cream to top off this lightly spiced pumpkin latte! It was actually an imperial cream stout with enticing, rich coffee scents, followed by java (D'oh!), a hint of cinnamon and maybe a pinch of nutmeg and very light pumpkin flavors, interwoven with dark chocolate and more coffee. The 8.4% ABV is hidden well by the roastiness. I'll guess the IBUs are 40-50. This made a superb match with some pumpkin spice cake and a creme-filled chocolate cake for dessert. Haw River makes outstanding ales and I'd buy a pint can or 500 ml bottle of this if it's ever packaged to share/gift over the holidays.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 6th, 2018, 11:02 pm

8 Days a Week (DOB 09/08/18)-Southern Tier Brewing Company

"...Is not enough to show I care..."

Blonde ale. But I prefer Brüenettes. Maybe another night.

Trader #4 of 5 from last weekend from AW. Thanks again!

Poured a light blonde color (D'oh!) with a generous head from a 12 ounce can. Honey and floral scents followed by a bunch of light Euro hop flavors and light malts and minimal bitterness. I'll guess 30 IBUs max with the ABV a very easy sipping 4.8%. Quaffed this with some leftover ribeye, roasted Yukon Gold potatoes and a Caesar salad. Again, a brown ale or porter would have been better choices but it's so stinking hot and sticky here that this lighter ale was quite enjoyable.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 6th, 2018, 11:12 pm

Solid Gold (08/something smudged/18 on bottom of can)-Founders Brewing

Single 12 ounce can that was part of my September beer club 4 pack.

I had a 6er of this a few months ago that I reviewed/traded so the reason for another review so soon is to make the point that fresher is better. This is really a solid lager. Crisp and clean.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 7th, 2018, 7:57 pm

Citra Hopped Live (DOB o9/05/18)-Southern Tier Brewing Company

Fifth and final can from August West last weekend. Thanks!

Poured vigorously from a 12 ounce can into a standard pint glass and yielding a foamy, off-white head. Citra is another hop variety that is very aromatic and tasty casting fresh tropical notes upward and grapefruity and pineapple-y flavors downward with a gently finish of pine/resin. I'll guess about 40 IBUs and the ABV was 5.5%, both in-line for the pale ale style. Paired nicely with a large garden salad for dinner.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 8th, 2018, 11:10 pm

Delicious IPA-Stone Brewing Company

RVA 7/10/18
_ _ _ BY 11/07/18

Third serving in my September beer club 4 pack.

As expected, a vigorous pour from a 12 ounce can showed yellow-gold with a generous white head that lingered throughout the sipping. Mixed aromas of citrus an pine. Tastes leaned a bit toward citrus from the Lemondrop and El Dorado hops with some grapefruit and mildly sour lemon candy with a somewhat dank, piney finish. Pretty bitter at 75 IBUs but reasonably balanced with the ABV at 7.7% imparting a bit of caramel sweetness. It'd make a nice pairing with spicy fare.

Eleventh birthday/anniversary Ymm, Beer beverage up next...
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 8th, 2018, 11:12 pm

Stone Farking Wheaton w00tstout-Stone Brewing Company

Fourth and final entry in my September beer club 4 pack.

Format: 12 ounce bottle

Appearance: Black with a thin mocha head

Nose: Chocolate, bourbon and a whiff of mustiness

Mouthfeel: Smooth, oily

Tastes: Dark chocolate, a swirl of pumpernickel/rye bread, orange rind, nuts and booze

IBUs: 45

ABV: 11.5% (There it is! The number 11 for 11th birthday/anniversary for Ymm, Beer!)

Overall impressions: A wonderful sipping beer at cellar temperature from a Founder's snifter that was brewed to resemble a Kentucky Derby Pie and a great way to celebrate 11 years on this thread. This stands alone as a nightcap/dessert or would be happy with a triple chocolate chip cookie or brownie. I've got 2 of these left from a prior purchase and not sure what I'll do with them at this time.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 9th, 2018, 5:59 pm

Hey Bob,

Any of this available in your neck of the woods?

https://oconnorbrewing.com/our-brews/golden-pear/

;;) ;;)
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 10th, 2018, 10:44 pm

Revision IPA-Revision Brewing Company

"Phat Suggs 08/21/18" on bottom of can. Really. I'm not clever/smart enough to make up such nonsense.

Cleverly named.

Beer #2 from the October beer club 4 bagger.

Poured a yellow-straw with a moderate, frothy head after a vigorous decanting into one of my way too many pint vessels. Very pleasant orange-y and grapefruity aromas, followed by orange juice, rind, grapefruit flavors with a slightly oily, piney finish. IBUs at 50 and ABV stated as 6.5% so a pretty balanced brew with a lean toward the fruity side of town. In a very crowded field, this won't stand out but it is high quality and I'm happy to have tasted it as my first Revision product.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 10th, 2018, 10:44 pm

Galactic Coyote-Finch Beer Company

"Wet Your Bed By 2/24/19"

Seriously. That's what is stamped on the bottom of my 12 ounce can (though the last letter is smudged a bit...).

A watermelon and Thai basil kettle sour from their Cosmic Kettle Series

Beer #1 from my October beer club 4 pack

Poured a clear, light straw color (until the last teaspoon which was cloudy) with a fizzy, short-lived head after a vigorous pour into a pint glass. Smells like spiced watermelon juice. Tastes like spiced watermelon juice with a generous splash of fresh squeezed lemon. No surprises. Minimal bitterness with an IBU guess of 10. Low ABV at 4.1%. I think I like Fullsteam's Summer/Southern Basil (?) better for the herbal spiciness and 21st Amendment's Hell or High Watermelon for the watermelon/Jolly Rancher flavors but this was tasty and would make a great combo with a mildly spicy coconut curry shrimp or chicken and rice dish/bowl.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 11th, 2018, 10:45 pm

Sunny Side Up (draft)-Wolf Hills Brewing Company

We're local so I'm drinking! (Abingdon, VA)

Cold brew coffee Citra IPA, beer #1 from a 3 beer flight. Why 3? Because the beertender said each sampler glass was 6-7 ounces and a standard flight was 5 beers and there's no way I'm drinking that much beer 60-90 minutes before a musical/stage show in a local theatre .

Pour was a light yellow-gold with a small head. Faint coffee and citrus aromas with fairly bland fruity flavors and a mildly bitter, roasted coffee finish. IBUs roll in at 26 and the ABV was 6%. Pretty average brew.