Bob Green
PWing School Endowed Professor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by Bob Green » September 19th, 2018, 5:29 pm

Double posting. :D

Beer tasting...

I'm headed to the Brick and Mortar Brewery after work on Friday:

https://www.brickandmortarbrews.com/ourbeer/

Dependent upon availability, I plan to bring a couple of their beers to tailgate for tasting.

1. Peanut City Porter
2. Riddick's Red
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 19th, 2018, 10:21 pm

Bob Green wrote:Double posting. :D

Beer tasting...

Dependent upon availability, I plan to bring a couple of their beers to tailgate for tasting.

1. Peanut City Porter
2. Riddick's Red
Post whore :p .

I responded to Bob's PM so don't think I ignored this post. He may also bring a black IPA and/or a cherry blonde ale.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 20th, 2018, 10:59 pm

Hoptimist-White Street Brewing Company

Local. Again.

I'll guess it's been several years since I had this but this was especially flavorful at lunch today with some smoked turkey breast and smoked provolone cheese as we did some clean-up at the coast late this AM.

The 12 ounce bottle pour was bright gold with a 2 inch, creamy head. Tropical fruity nose, followed by mango, peach, pineapple and grapefruit tastes with mild sweetness and a not-too-harsh pithy bitterness. IBUs were 60 and the ABV was 7.5%.
Bob Green
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by Bob Green » September 21st, 2018, 5:02 pm

devildeac wrote:
Bob Green wrote:Double posting. :D

Beer tasting...

1. Peanut City Porter
2. Riddick's Red
Post whore :p .

I responded to Bob's PM so don't think I ignored this post. He may also bring a black IPA and/or a cherry blonde ale.
The brewery didn't sell bombers or six packs only draft beer so I will be bringing a 64 oz Growler of Riddick's Irish Red to tailgate tomorrow.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 21st, 2018, 7:41 pm

SBC 4-Service Brewing Company

Veteran owned and veteran brewed in Savannah for their 4th anniversary. It's an imperial milkshake IPA.

What's that? Basically, an IIPA brewed with lactose.

Poured from the $3ish 12 ounce can into my oversized Ommegang tulip. Color was a hazy, red grapefruit color with a moderate, creamy head. Enticing nose of grapefruit and mango with flavors of passion fruit (added), pineapple, cream (?), vanilla (added) and honey (added). Very mild bitterness with only 29 IBUs but pretty potent at 10%. Beer store owner claimed excellence but I'd say very good and would buy again and/or try another product from that brewery.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 21st, 2018, 11:38 pm

1888 Octoberfest-Saranac/FX Matt Brewing Company

Pretty amazing for a 130 year old lager/Märzen to taste this good .

Seriously, this was the 4th and last trader from August West after the Army game.. Thanks!

Twelve ounce pour into a pint glass was a light amber with waves of grain on the nose. Tastes were as expected with some toasted wh*eat bread, a pinch of brown sugar and some very mild floral and earthy hops. Very gentle on the palate at 20 IBUs and ABV was 5.4%. Would certainly be happy with a knockwurst or bratwurst and some grilled onions or some Wiener Schnitzel.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 23rd, 2018, 3:23 pm

Let's see about yesterday's tailgate brews we sampled:

Hitting in the lead-off position was Bob Green who brought to the table:

Riddick's (sic) Red (growler)-Brick and Mortar Brewing

His local choice. Thank, Bob!

Pour was a reddish (not Cameron)-brown with a moderate off-white head. Lots of toffee and earthy aromas here. Tastes were on the money for the style, an Irish red ale, and they included some caramel/toffee and herbal hops. IBUs estimated to be 30 and the ABV on their website is 5.2% so it made a fine starter beer with wings, ABTs and foot long high quality weiners from Costco.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 23rd, 2018, 3:29 pm

August West was in the on deck circle and followed Bob with:

Long Weekend (growler)-Mother Earth Brewing

CB&B reported this downtown Kinston brewery appeared unscathed by the flood waters of the Neuse River.

A fine choice by AW. Pour of this IPA (no fancy designation given) was a light yellow-gold with a foamy head. Initial aromas were pine and resin so the tastes of grapefruit, a bit of rind and maybe some peach and mango were quite pleasant and pleasing surprises. There were hints of pine but the tropical notes were the leaders. Another IBU guess here of about 50 and the ABV on the growler tag was 6.4% making this a fine pairing with the remainder of the meal, including salads, fries, onion rings, burgers and slaw.

Thanks, AW!
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 23rd, 2018, 3:36 pm

I singled weakly into right field from the 3rd spot in the batting order with:

King of Boggle (canned on 6/8/18)-Trophy Brewing

I've reviewed this before when it was fresher. Appearance and aromas from the pint can of this NEIPA were the same but tastes were a bit less fresh, not unsurprising. There was also a bit of sediment so the lesson learned again is drink your IPAs and IIPAs ASAP if you know their packaging dates. Nice pairing with the foodstuffs.

I'll work on my delivery/stroke/pitch, err, beer selection for the VT game.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 23rd, 2018, 9:57 pm

Batting in the clean-up slot was son of accfansince1970 with his:

Blonde Hunny-Wild Wolf Brewing Company

His wife was actually a pretty brunette but the 12 ounce Blonde (ale) in a can he brought was a surprise attraction, too .

Poured a hazy, sunshine yellow with a moderate, foamy head. Floral and sweet nose with standard tastes for the style including orange from the malted wh*eat, some honey (or hunny) and a bit of spice (coriander?). IBUs at 21 so minimal bitterness with the ABV a bit higher than expected at 6.8%. Our meal was done so this was a palate-cleansing pre-dessert brew.

Thanks for sharing!
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 23rd, 2018, 10:11 pm

Continuing on with the heart of the order, accfanfrom1970 stepped to the plate, err, table with:

Blackberry Cobbler (pint can)-Hardywood Craft Brewery

He brought local to us!! Thanks!

This beer is not to be found on their website and fooled me, thinking it was last year's Virginia Blackberry witbier but it wasn't.

I didn't "study" the can for any stats/ingredients but the pour was a cloudy lavender (no chunks!) with a smallish, fizzy head. Pretty much all (who were still standing at this point) agreed that the aromas and tastes were pretty spot-on for a blackberry (blackbeery?) cobbler with grains and fruits prominent with a mild sweetness on the palate. I don't think any oats and/or lactose were added but the mouthfeel was smooth and silky and an almost milky/creamy flavor, too. I'll guess IBUs of 20 and the ABV was 6.8% so a cobbler in a glass.

I'd certainly buy a draft, single or 4 pack of this to sip, share and/or trade.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 23rd, 2018, 10:27 pm

And, with the bases-clearing shot, batting in the 6th spot, is Mr. Merlindevildog91 with:

Pecan Pie Porter, Bourbon Barrel Aged (bomber)-Clown Shoes Brewing

No, Clown Shoes has nothing to do with the footwear from the bunch of lying, cheating, sneaker-selling vermin from down the road.

I didn't note on the label whether this was the 2017 version or was just released last month. No matter, it was best of show yesterday despite it having the appearance and consistency of Quaker State 10W-30 and being served during the middle of the afternoon in 85 degree heat .

Smelled like a liquid pecan, chocolate chip pie and the tastes that followed were as expected and did not disappoint. Mouthfeel was smooth and almost imperial stout-like. Very warming and boozey finish. No IBUs quoted but I'd venture 50ish with the ABV at a dangerous 10.5%. I'm happy there were 5 of us still conscious and able to sip at this point. Thanksgiving and/or Christmas dessert in a glass. I'd also consider pouring an ounce of this over two scoops of vanilla ice cream or going wild and making a beer float.

Many thanks for sharing!!
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » September 24th, 2018, 11:01 am

devildeac wrote:And, with the bases-clearing shot, batting in the 6th spot, is Mr. Merlindevildog91 with:

Pecan Pie Porter, Bourbon Barrel Aged (bomber)-Clown Shoes Brewing

No, Clown Shoes has nothing to do with the footwear from the bunch of lying, cheating, sneaker-selling vermin from down the road.

I didn't note on the label whether this was the 2017 version or was just released last month. No matter, it was best of show yesterday despite it having the appearance and consistency of Quaker State 10W-30 and being served during the middle of the afternoon in 85 degree heat .

Smelled like a liquid pecan, chocolate chip pie and the tastes that followed were as expected and did not disappoint. Mouthfeel was smooth and almost imperial stout-like. Very warming and boozey finish. No IBUs quoted but I'd venture 50ish with the ABV at a dangerous 10.5%. I'm happy there were 5 of us still conscious and able to sip at this point. Thanksgiving and/or Christmas dessert in a glass. I'd also consider pouring an ounce of this over two scoops of vanilla ice cream or going wild and making a beer float.

Many thanks for sharing!!
Oh, yes, this one was lovely! I would serve it at Thanksgiving to my guys as a drink with dessert.

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 24th, 2018, 10:51 pm

From last PM:

Peaches for Me (bottled on JUN0918)-Redhook Ale Brewery

Trader #1 from August West at tailgate. Thanks!

I don't think I've bought a Redhook in more than a decade but CB&B shared one with me last year when his art gallery opened and I was pleasantly surprised and pleased. I can easily say the same for this 12 ounce bottle.

Poured into a pint glass, the color was yellow-orange and pretty "clean." Very fruity nose which preceded tastes of peaches and mangoes (both added) along with some orange a grapefruit flavors with hints of rind-y/pithy bitterness. IBUs are 50 from Bravo, Citra and experimental HBC431 hops and the ABV is 6.7% on the label but "only" 6.5% at the brewery .
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 24th, 2018, 11:07 pm

Tangelic Halo-Redhook Ale Brewery

Trader #2 from AW and another hearty thanks!

Think this might be a tangerine IPA? Indeed it is.

Appearance was medium orange with a hint of ruby. Smallish head with the expected tangerine aromas. Tastes matched nicely with a bit more zest than the peach/mango one above, also as expected. Faint citrus bite. I'll guess IBUs about 50 but no stats to be found anywhere for this. The ABV was 6.2%. A very drinkable fruited IPA that would pair nicely with sweet and sour dishes.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 25th, 2018, 10:02 pm

From last PM:

Bicoastal IPA-Redhook Ales Brewery

Part of their new Redhook Limited Release packages.

Trader #3 from August West on Saturday. Thanks again!

Another surprising Redhook (cough 32% InBev cough) offering.

Poured from a 12 ounce somewhat tall and slender bottle into a standard pint glass. Their "mashup between a hazy NEIPA and a tropical West Coast IPA" is a reasonable description. Color was yellow-orange with minimal haziness. Nice tropical and citrusy scents with the usual suspects on the palate including grapefruit, pineapple, passion fruit and some dank, piney flavors. Overall, a bit short of bold IPA standards but I was pleasantly pleased as I sipped this 65 IBU, 7.1% east meets west IPA.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 25th, 2018, 10:13 pm

From 8/25/17:
devildeac wrote:Big Ballard-Red (32% InBev) Hook Brewing

A grand opening celebratory brew kindly provided by CameronBornAndBred at his new art gallery late this afternoon. Thanks!

Pour was a gold-yellow with a moderate, creamy head. Very fruity nose and pleasant juicy, tropical and citrus tastes. I gotta admit, this beer surprised me as I haven't had a Red Hook brew in a decade or more, I'd bet. Mild to moderately sweet, too. I'd have guessed IBUs around 60 for this IIPA as the bitterness was rather mild and well-balanced with the ABV at 8.6%. Here's their stat sheet/ingredient list:

MALT: Pale, Munich, Carmel 40
HOPS: Alchemy, Chinook, Cascade, HBC-431, Centennial, Mosaic, Eureka
ABV: 8.6%
IBU: 66
From last PM:

Big Ballard-Redhook (JUN2418; 32% InBev) Ale Brewery

A bit of Redhook history: "Big Ballard Imperial IPA pays homage to our original stomping grounds in the Ballard district of Seattle in 1981."

The 4th and final drop from August West at Saturday tailgate.

Pretty similar impressions to 13 months ago. I've never head of Alchemy hops, the C-hops make it a bit piney but not overly so and their experimental HBC-431, Mosaic and Eureka varieties impart the tropical and citrusy flavors. Very favorable assortment of Redhook IPAs that I'd likely never think of buying but was very happy to receive as traders and taste the last couple evenings.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 30th, 2018, 10:50 pm

Finally, tailgate brew review time.

Lead-off hitter:

Blissed Out (crowlered on 9/28/18)-Wise Man Brewing

Provider: Mr. merlindevildog91-Thanks!!

In Honor of: Tripping William and richardjackson199 (Hey, it's local for them!)

Style: Milkshake IPA (fooled us all-see below)

Appearance: Moderate, foamy head and cloudy with a chance of haze (looked like a NEIPA)

Aromas: A tropical fruit Slurpee (pineapple, grapefruit, mango, orange)-smelled like a NEIPA

Tastes: A tropical fruit Slurpee with minimal bitterness

Mouthfeel: Creamy and smooth

Additives: mango, pineapple, blood orange and lactose (hence, the milkshake IPA)-we had to research this from the website

Hops: Secret

Grains: Not divulged

IBU: 55 (also researched)-most of us thought 40s

ABV: 6.2% (not researched-it was Sharpied on the can-we're not as dumm as we look )

Overall impression: Very good starter beer but would also pair nicely with some mild curry dishes, I think.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 30th, 2018, 11:07 pm

From 10/25/15:
devildeac wrote:People's BBL Aged Porter-Foothills Brewing

How do you take a good quality porter and make it better? Why, throw a few hundred gallons of it into 20 year old bourbon barrels and age it for several months, of course. I've had their BBA (non Sexual Chocolate) stout before but never this BBA aged porter which I think I procured for about $6 with a buck off coupon from Total Wine a month or two ago. Poured a dark mahogany with a creamy, generous tan head. Bourbon up front with mild dark chocolate, dark caramel and a dash of espresso aromas. Tastes matched the olfactory registry with booze prominent but not off-putting and a bit of oak and vanilla in the finish (please, no c*rolina recruiting misses comments). IBUs at 42 and the ABV is 6%. I could drink several bombers of this every winter, served lightly chilled by itself or with a slice of triple chocolate cake or oatmeal chocolate chip cookies.
From yesterday:

People's BBL Aged Porter (bomber dated 051818)-Foothills Brewing

More local!

My contribution with a huge assist to Mr. merlindevildog91 for bringing an extra of these as traders for a mixed New Glarus 4 pack of fruit ales.

Overall impressions pretty similar to 2015 with the IBUs down a bit at 38 along with the ABV at 5.8%, both differences I'd never be able to tell without looking. This paired nicely with a hunk of medium rare prime rib (yes, we really had that at tailgate), a mixed green salad, smashed potatoes and whipped sweet potatoes. I thought this might be the winner for the evening but August West pulled out his mini-growler of Javalantern next...
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 1st, 2018, 9:29 pm

We interrupt the tailgate reviews to bring you the following trader:

Octoberfest-Boston Beer Company

Ozzie cheerfully () parted with one of his Costco 12 pack of these for a New Glarus Staghorn Octoberfest. Thanks!

I don't drink many Octoberfests but this one pretty much embodies the style from the medium to dark amber appearance with a moderate, one-fingered foamy head to the toasted whole wheat bread and light caramel aromas to the roasted grainy and slightly cloying, honey-ish tastes. IBUs were 16 so I'd wager none of these harmed Ozzie's tender palate () and the ABV of 5.3% was ideal, saving calories for another beer this evening. Would be a great pairing with almost any grilled fare, a pastrami or Reuben sammich.