Ymm, Beer!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by devildeac » August 17th, 2018, 11:38 pm

Peeper (bottled on 7/17/18)-Maine Beer Company

My faith in MBC has also been restored after Mo and my current offering above.

Poured almost all my 500 ml bottle ($7, IIRC) of this pale ale into my oversized Ommegang tulip. slightly hazy, medium yellow-straw color with a modest, fizzy head which still lingers about halfway through the glass now. Light grapefruit and bready aromas with hints of pine. A bit of zest to accompany mild grapefruit and sourdough bread tastes with subtle resin. No IBUs quoted so I'll estimate 40. ABV is 5.5%. So much better when pale ales and IPAs are consumed fresh. This is really a fine, almost delicate ale. Cast of characters:

HOPS: AMARILLO, CASCADE, CENTENNIAL
MALT: AMERICAN 2-ROW, CARAPILS, VIENNA, RED WHEAT

(copied and pasted the ingredients-sorry about all caps and I have no clue what the rectangle means in front of Centennial :rolleyes:)
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 19th, 2018, 4:42 pm

Tall Guy-Breakside Brewery

#14 on the Top 324 IPAs from Paste Magazine that fuse linked a few weeks ago:

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articl...anked.html?p=3

This was an $8ish bomber bought at Bottle Revolution a couple weeks ago that I divided before and after an evening out with Mrs. dd last PM. No, Mrs. dd had none of this one.

Pour was a slightly hazy, bright, yellow-tangerine hue with a moderate, foamy head. Aromas were all tropical, mostly pineapple. Some tastes of mango, grapefruit and papaya snuck on to the palate along with some rind and light brown sugar. I think it's a single hop Citra IPA and yes, I'd have another bomber or three of this. Untappd claims 60 IBUs but Breakside makes no such claims. Would be happy with any mild to moderately spicy dishes.

Hoping fuse likes his selection...
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 19th, 2018, 8:47 pm

Morning Wood (label dated 6-18-18)-Kassik's Brewery (Kenai, Alaska)

From the label: "Never waste a Morning Wood" :ymblushing:

I swear I'm not making this stuff up.

This bomber was a gift from a patient a couple weeks ago upon his return from Alaska. His gift this past winter was a Bomber of Buttface Amber Ale from Ram Brewery and Restaurant in Colorado.

Styled more along the lines of an English IPA, it appeared an amber-bronze in my standard pint glass with a two-fingered, foamy head. Smelled like an English IPA, too, with lots of herbal, earthy notes and evoked tastes of an ESB with brown sugary, cedar-y and toasted whole grain flavors. IBUs listed on Untappd at 60 and the ABV on the bottle and website is 6.4%, both pretty standard for the style. Even though it's an IPA, I'd pair this with a beef stew, Shepherd's pie or meat loaf.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 21st, 2018, 9:17 pm

Mister Fahrenheit (best by 12/18/18)-North High Brewing Company

Drink local! (well, the local stuff your son buys in Columbus, OH and delivers to your doorstep )

A solid but not outstanding NEIPA-kinda/sorta validates mattman's thoughts about this style being hit or miss.

Poured from a 3/4 pint can into a standard pint glass. Plenty of extra room for the almost non-head generated. Orange-yellow color with a nose of stone fruits and tastes of peaches, pineapples, tangerines and apricots. There's a bit of pine/resin. I'll guess IBUs about 50 and ABV listed on the can at 7.2%. Would be good with some pepper jack or jalapeno pimento cheese and some whole grain crackers. There'll be some traders from this 6er.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 22nd, 2018, 9:22 am

From 12/28/17:
devildeac wrote:12 Dogs of Christmas Ale-Thirsty Dog Brewing Company

(Have a family member) buy regional then transport it to drink locally .

Last of the litter left by our son as he and his wife departed Tuesday AM to return to Ohio.

This winter warmer poured a medium to dark brown with a modest, light tan head. Smells like spiced/mulled cider. I tasted cinnamon first, then some honey sweetness, followed by a bit of mildly spicy/warming ginger but not sure I ever tasted the nutmeg, all of which were added to the brew, but not by me . There was also some darkly toasted bread and a bit of caramel. Grain forward beer with IBUs only at 21.5 (really, it's on the label and website) with the ABV at 8.3%. Santa would have liked a bottle of this with some oatmeal raisin cookies or maybe some spice bars. They also brew this in a barrel-aged version. Next year, Christmas or New Year's admittance might have to be with a 4 pack or bomber of the BA version .
From last PM:

12 Dogs of Christmas/Christmas in July-Thirsty Dog Brewing Company

Family delivery service strikes again, this time with a 6er .

"A special batch for those who can't be good for an entire year. You're halfway there."

I believe this is the same recipe as above as the tastes are certainly very similar, if not identical.

A fun but unusual treat to have during the dog days (ouch) of summer. I've got 5 left so there'll be some trading this football season.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 22nd, 2018, 10:28 pm

Batch 024: Keyser Gose-Nowhere in Particular (brewed by Rivertown Brewing Company)

Imbibe locally (when you son purchases in his town/state of residence and delivers to you)

An imperial gose. You don't find many of these. And they warn you on their website:

"Gose's are perfect for summer, quenching, tart, and drinkable. There is just one problem, its really hard to drink brews that light and get the desired drunken results. Well friends, worry no longer! This big imperial version of the gose will tick all those boxes! Slightly tart, a little salty, really drinkable, and just a hint of sweetness, this beer will give you a big kiss and trip you while you're not looking. Get out on the river, hike a bit, enjoy the weather and throw back some of these beasts, cause even if you don't remember it you won't regret it. And don't forget to drink promiscuously!

Kinda like DBR's reputation points philosophy of spork promiscuously .

Poured from a 12 ounce can into a standard pint glass. Color was light, yellow-straw. Quite fizzy but not for long. Salty, briny nose with a hint of spice (coriander added). Tastes like a slightly salty, lemon-lime seltzer with a kick. Sevens are wild here with IBUs of 7 and ABV 7%, earning its designation of an imperial gose. Was pretty tasty with a pimento cheese sandwich and side Caesar salad for a late dinner this evening. Not on the Westbrook Key Lime Pie Gose (not many are) but this was excellent. Three remain from the 4 pack...
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 23rd, 2018, 12:51 pm

o Muck (bottom of can date 5/11/18 but still tasted fresh)-Seventh Son Brewing Company

Another high quality delivery from Columbus, OH two weeks ago from one of my vast array ( :ymblushing: ) of beer couriers.

Very pretty artwork on the half quart can of this "tart India pale ale."

Well, the ABV of 8% nudges this into the IIPA category so I'm able to say now that I've have my first sour/tart DIPA.

Pour was a minimally cloudy, yellow-bronze with a dense, frothy head that lingered throughout my 45 minute tasting last PM. The last 5-10 ml were even cloudier thinking they could market this as a NE-DIPA, too. Slight vinegar nose but lots of citrus and tropical notes. The flavors were a cornucopia of pineapple, mango, peach, tangerine, grapefruit and rinds without a clear "winner." I think the hops listed on the can are Simcoe, Palisade and Zythos, making sense with the complex aromas and flavors and adding up to 50 IBUs, so more tart/sour than bitter. Thoroughly enjoyable and different ale. I have 3 left from the 4 packs so..
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 24th, 2018, 6:10 pm

Pale Brüe Eyes (draft)-Brüeprint Brewing Company

DBAP beer! Drink local!

Beer treat from JStuart (after I bought the first round).

Pint pour was light amber-bronze with a moderate, creamy head. Pretty malty/bready nose with toasty, grainy tastes, interrupted by some herbal and floral sensations with a hint of grapefruit at the end. Really made me think more of an English pale ale and not an American pale ale, which made it rather enjoyable. IBUs on the website at 25 and ABV at 4.5% so a nice pairing with a Hog Heaven BBQ platter of shredded pork, hush puppies, baked beans and slaw.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 24th, 2018, 6:35 pm

Torch Pilsner (draft)-Foothills Brewing Company

"Head for the Hills" (or was that "Hit the Hills," the center field lawn name at the DBAP)

More local! More DBAP!

This was my treat to myself-JStuart had the Pilot Mountain Pale Ale on my dime.

Pint pour was a yellow-amber with a one inch frothy head. A bit surprising on the nose with earthy and rich floral scents. This followed through on the palate with more malts/grains/caramel than bitterness/floral hops. Almost as if the English had gotten a hold of the recipe and made it an English pilsner instead of my expectations of a lighter, Euro pils. Not bad things, just different and very pleasing to drink. IBUs at 35 were higher than the Pale Brüe Eyes pale ale . The ABV was a tad higher, too, at 5.3%. Good ballpark/session beer.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 25th, 2018, 11:02 am

I've got more Hubris than fuse :

Hubris (draft)-Lynnwood Brewing Concern

I ordered this based on fuse's visit there, his notification/suggestion it was on draft and he liked it and remotely hearing about this beer in years past and this week. Plus, this was a secret treat from his company (), I guess as their afternoon beer consultant . Thanks!!

Pour into a lovely LBC snifter (13 ounces for $7) was clean and golden-yellow with a small, creamy head. Seductive aromas of tropical, citrus and stone fruits. Mouthfeel was oily and fresh, guessing this beer was released this week. Tastes were quite complex and included pineapple, grapefruit, peaches and nectarines, light caramel/honey sweetness and a hint of resin/oil. IBUs on the fact sheet at the bar stated 70 but, as fuse comments above, incredibly balanced with the ABV of 8.7%. Totally a sipper, this one lasting about an hour and ultimately, felt more boozy than the stated ABV. Good enough to inquire about packaging and then splurging and buying a 4 pack of pint cans for $22 + tax, so rather spendy (compared to Outta This Galaxy from Trophy and Barrel Aged Mezcal Exemption from Taxman at $18/4 pack of pint cans ).

This was an amazing gem of a IIPA and I consider myself very fortunate to have tasted on draft and walk away with a 4 pack, as apparently it sells out fast and rarely makes it outside of Raleigh. This will most certainly go on my August beer calendar for years to come.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 28th, 2018, 8:13 pm

Proliferous-Seventh Son Brewing

Bought locally (Columbus, OH) and delivered lovingly earlier this month from our son.

Pint can of this IIPA poured a light copper color with a moderate, fluffy head. Initial scents of grapefruit that quickly became resin-y and piney to match those tastes. The citrus/tropical flavors were mostly rind-y and not very juicy and overshadowed by the pine/resin sensations. There was some malty/grainy sweetness but this was a hop bomb of old with IBUs at 85 and ABV at 8.3% so I would have suspected a more balanced brew but it wasn't. I still think this was a well-brewed beverage but I've evolved toward preferring more fruity IPAs and IIPAs but also think this would pair well with hot/spicy cuisine.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 28th, 2018, 8:19 pm

Black Currant Galloping Gose-Broomtail Brewing

Drink regional! (I'll guess this may really be a Sour Barn product from about 5 blocks north of Broomtail on Market Street just outside Wilmington, NC.)

Two ounce taster prior to picking up my August beer club 4 pack. Gorgeous raspberry color with a surprising modest head that lingered. Berry-licious nose and tastes. Maybe a salted raspberry-blueberry gummi candy? IBUs gotta be low so I'll throw 5 up on the board with the ABV on the electronic chalkboard at 5%. I'd taste this again and/or try another sour/gose from these folks again.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 28th, 2018, 8:29 pm

Cucumber Lime Sour (draft)-Deep River Brewing

Drink local!

Another taster from the owner of Bottle Revolution. Quite the pucker factor here. Cloudy yellow pour with a thin head and a tart/sour nose and a little "vegetable" in the tastes to accompany more sour lime tastes. No pickle/spices thankfully . I'll guess IBUs about 20 and the ABV is 6.8%. Imperial sour maybe? I'd buy a pint of this to share at a tasting but not a litter of these.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 28th, 2018, 8:51 pm

Hive Fives (draft)-Heist Brewing

Drink sorta local!

I actually paid for this half pint .

Listed on the beer board as a honey blonde ale (I like blondes but don't tell Mrs. dd ), it was surprisingly cloudy with a sunshine hue. Nose was mildly floral and slightly sweet. Tastes matched the aromas fairly closely but not quite as sweet as I might have imagined. There were also some faint orange and spice flavors (coriander?). I'll guess IBUs around 10 and the ABV was 5.5% so a wonderful beer on a warm evening in Raleigh. More enjoyable than Mother Earth's Blackbeard's Booty, the hoppy blonde ale I reviewed from my June (?) beer club 4 pack.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 28th, 2018, 9:13 pm

a tiny beautiful something (draft)-Maine Beer Company

Another beer I actually purchased .

Now, this was much more like the MBC brews that I remember from 8/2014 and what fuse recounts.

I'll blame myself for the 3 month old bottle I consumed earlier this month. This 8 ounce draft was very slightly cloudy and a light amber in color. There was a bit of orange zest and some herbal scents present. Tastes were a bit of orange juice, a shaving of orange peel, some earthy hops and a hint of bready sweetness. The ABV was the same and I'll guess the IBUs were pretty close to my guess above. Not quite delicate but very flavorful and gentle/smooth on the palate and an excellent example of the American pale ale style. Very happy to have tried this fresh/on draft tonight. Ingredients copied and pasted below:

HOPS: EL DORADO
MALT: AMERICAN 2-ROW, CARAPILS, CARAMEL 40L, FLAKED OATS
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 29th, 2018, 9:03 pm

Belgian White 100-Saranac/FX Matt Brewing

Yes, I just finished a 12 ounce beer with 100 calories .

This was beer #1 from my August beer club 4 pack and tasted and smelled as advertised, basically, like a Blue Moon. Pour was a slightly cloudy, pale yellow with a small fizzy head. A bit of orange and spice to tantalize the nares with some zest, a pinch of coriander and some floral flavors to follow. I'll guess IBUs about 20 and an ABV of 5%, neither printed on the label. Mouthfeel was a bit thin but it was refreshing after dinner on a warm, muggy summer evening.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 29th, 2018, 10:32 pm

Creeper (5/31/18 printed on bottom of can)-Columbus Brewing Company

Bought local. Delivered for consumption at a distance.

Another trader from devildeac2 earlier this month, this one a 12 ounce can.

Pour was a hazy, peachy-yellow with a modest creamy head. Fairly balanced bouquet wafting from my standard pint glass that evoked thoughts of a tropical, citrusy juice with some oily resin. Tastes also fairly matched with grapefruit, peach, pine and zest with an almost oily, chewy mouthfeel, even though it was not as fresh as I would have liked, guessing our son bought this shortly after its release in June at my request and "cellared" it until delivery about 3 weeks ago. I'd have never guessed IBUs at 100 from "an evolving blend of American hops" () but the bitterness was prominent. I'd have also not wagered the ABV at 10% until about 30 minutes after sipping this IIPA (that some folks call a triple IPA). I think this would have been an outstanding DIPA if consumed 30-60 days earlier (consumer error) but I still think was quite good. Good enough to garner this award:

"Gold Medal, Imperial India Pale Ale, Great American Beer Festival® 2014"

I have 3 remaining for sharing/trading.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 30th, 2018, 8:20 pm

Amra-Destihl Brewery

No, fuse, it's not a sour.

Beer #2 in my August beer club 4 bagger was this 12 ounce can of Mango IPA.

Pour was a mildly cloudy, orange-yellow with a moderate, creamy head. Juicy aromas of mangoes with matching tastes, along with some pineapple, a bit of rind some light brown sugar syrup and a pleasant, pity fruity bitterness. IBUs at 55 and ABV was 6.9%, a very balanced offering. I'd have this with a sweet and sour entree. Highly tasty stuff. Here's a little explanation:

"'Amra' (Sanskrit for Mango) intertwines the citrusy hop characters of a west coast-style IPA with the fruitiness of juicy mangos, resulting in an elaborate and psychedelic tapestry of flavors that were absolutely destined for each other in this beer."

And some ingredients:

Hops: Summit, Simcoe, Citra & Cascade

Grains: 2-row malt, flaked wh*at, caramel malt 20
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 1st, 2018, 5:59 pm

Lead-off hitter at tailgate last PM knocked it outta the stadium:

Wisconsin Belgian Red-New Glarus Brewing Company

Beeradvocate's #1 fruit beer and this was my share beer from my last 750 ml capped and wax-sealed bottle. NG now packages this in 4 packs at about $12 each, tax included. The 750 ml format was always about $12. You do the math.

Pour was a gorgeous ruby-brown with a fizzy, quickly disappearing head. Cherry, cherry, cherry nose with a hint of wood and sour. Almost thick and chewy cherry juice flavors with some oak, berry a drop of sourness with minimal bitterness. I'll guess IBUs about 10 and the ABV is in the 4-5% range. This was our appetizer beer and was well-received by all. I'd have this at a breakfast tailgate with a bowl of fruit, at lunch with a chicken salad sandwich or wrap or at an evening event before or after dinner.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 1st, 2018, 9:10 pm

Believe it or not, the final beer of tailgate:

Saison (same day growler)-Allagash Brewing Company

A tip of the pint glass to August West for bringing this, a most pleasant "light" beer on a very warm, sticky evening on Devil's Alley!

Pour was a cloudy, light straw color with a fizzy head that left a bit of Belgian lacing on our glasses. Pretty much a classic saison with aromas of hay, flowers and some fresh apples and pears. AW detected a bit of grapefruit when tasting and I'd agree. There are also the expected pear and apple tastes with a pinch of black pepper and a very mild bitterness. No IBUs listed so we both guessed about 20-30 and the ABV was 6.1%. Neither of us desired a hop monster or anything thick, gooey and/or boozey so we had a very pleasant, non-bloated evening, filled up mostly by good food and conversation. The "players":

Grains: Allagash 2-Row Malted Barley Blend, Malted Rye, Oats

Hops: Northern Brewer, Bravo, and Cascade

Spices/Other: Dark Belgian Candi Sugar

Yeast: Saison