Ymm, Beer!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by devildeac » May 30th, 2018, 9:42 pm

Panama Krunkles-Terrapin (cough, millercoors, cough) Beer Company

Trader from fuse earlier this week. Fun stuff. Thanks!

Pour was a slightly cloudy, pale orange-yellow with a small head. Yep, there are pineapples in this IPA. Smell 'em and taste 'em. I guess I'd have thought papaya, too, both the fruitiness and a bit of a bitter, unripe edge. Lotsa hops-see below-with IBUs at 77 and a few grains, too with the ABV at 6.5%. It'd be a nice combo with sweet and sour dishes or a fruited salsa and some light, grilled fish. Ingredients:

HOPS: Warrior, Cascade, Centennial, Simcoe, Citra, Galaxy, Amarillo

MALTS: Pale, Ashburne, Carapilsner, Wh*at, Honey Malt
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 31st, 2018, 7:35 pm

Off the Table (draft)-Blackberry Farm Brewery

Collaboration with Rheingeist Brewery and Crosby Hop Farm

My first BFB product so a tip of the glass to fuse who has reviewed a few BFB beverages in the past.

It's a saison so the color was pale yellow-tan with a small head. Nose of apples and pears with tastes of melon and rind from the Huell Melon hops (from Germany, IIRC), slight bitterness from the Sterling hops (new variety to me), with Granny Smith apples and a tad underripe pears and a bit of orange and peel from the wh*at malt. There's a rather subtle black peppery finish. I'll guess IBUs about 20 and the ABV was 5%, so I had the time and mental acuity for another half pint of the next brew. I chose the BFB saison over the Haw River elderberry one. Tough call.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 7th, 2018, 6:43 pm

Wood-Aged Bitches Brew-Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

Yep, year round brew now.

Fuse was kind/generous enough to share a couple 12 ounce bottles last month and I shared the first with our son last PM.

Dark brown pour into snifters with a modest mocha head that lingered a bit. Good pick-up on the aromas with earth and vanilla. I didn't get much if any pine but got a lot of dark chocolate. Tasted woody (no BBA) and dark chocolate-y with some molasses and hints of coffee and chicory. It's a "blended" beer. From their website:

"...our Wood-Aged Bitches Brew is a fusion of three threads of Imperial stout aged on oak and one thread of Tej - a native African honey beer - aged on Palo."

IBUs of 38 and ABV at 9% so it's a sipper, best slightly chilled. I imagine I'll age my second bottle another 6-12 months and re-visit. Wouldn't hesitate a moment to buy a litter of these if/when I see one.

Thanks!!
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 7th, 2018, 11:43 pm

Two-Headed Boy-Burnt City Brewing

Nice brewery name. (we're in Chicago)

This was a shared 12 ounce can with our younger son-in-law that was gifted to him at a fundraiser. This is an interesting style, an unfiltered pilsner. Pour was a clear, sunshine yellow with a small head without any sediment, despite its unfiltered origin. Floral nose and tastes along with some light caramel and grainy flavors. No IBUs listed but I'll guess 20. The ABV was 5.1%. He thought the flavors were a bit off compared to others from the same gifting but neither of us thought "spoiled," especially with the best by date of 9/20/18 on the sticker. Not bad but wouldn't purchase this but the next beer raised my opinion of the brewery...
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 7th, 2018, 11:49 pm

...the better Burnt City beer

The Illusionist-Burnt City Brewing

This one is a session IPA and was another 12 ounce can shared with younger son-in-law tonight. Pour was an orange-yellow with a moderate creamy head. Immediate aromas of grapefruit tickled the nostrils, followed by tastes of the same along with some stone fruits and pineapple. I'll guess IBUs about 40 and the ABV is listed at 4.8%. Their marketing folks state, "A great choice when you want to drink beers all day without having to sacrifice flavor or wake up in jail again." Ekuanot and Citra hops impart the very citrus-y and tropical notes without piney/resin-y bitterness. Would definitely sip another one of these.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 8th, 2018, 9:44 pm

Cherry Lime Allure-Pollyanna Brewing Company

Drink local! (we're in Chicago now)

A 4 pack of cans was $10. Nice price for a fancy beer.

It's a German-style Berliner Weisse, a sour wh*at beer finished with Lactobacillus. Pour was the color of berry limeade with a fizzy, foamy head that disappeared pretty quickly. Smelled of cherry/berry limeade and tasted the same but a bit undersweetened and not a bad thing. Mild pucker but without hop bitterness. IBUs of 3 (no typo-this style is more sour than bitter) with ABV of 4.6%. Would make a wonderful beverage to accompany a fruit salad before dinner or a fresh fruit tart as dessert.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 9th, 2018, 11:48 am

Fresh Squeezed IPA-Deschutes Brewery

I could drink this every day.

Shared my first 12 ounce can of this ever at our daughter/older son-in-law's last PM and we both enjoyed it so much he offered to share his last remaining can. Yes, please!

Poured a yellow-orange-amber with a moderate head. The name is highly accurate. Tantalizing scents of freshly squeezed orange and grapefruit juices (no pulp!) with tastes to match almost perfectly. There's a bit of rind/zest on the palate with a fruity, juicy sweetness. IBUs roll in at 60 and the ABV is 6.4%. Sweet enough to serve with any sweet and sour dish yet hoppy/bitter enough to pair with spicy fare, too.

So happy that this great brewery has distribution of their "session" beers and their specialty offerings in the south now with their brewery set to open in 2019 or 2020 in Roanoke.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 10th, 2018, 10:20 pm

Rev Pils-Revolution Brewing

Drink local!

Twelve ounce can stolen from the Chicago devildeac delivery service to accompany a slice of Chicago pizza late last PM.

Pour was a light straw-yellow with a small foamy head. Floral nose with a bit of grain. Tastes of lightly toasted bread, some light brown sugar and flowers. IBUs of 45, somewhat higher than expected/standard, with ABV of 5.5%. The pizza flavors won but this was a solid pilsner that would be fine with burgers, brats or some grilled, lightly spiced chicken.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 10th, 2018, 10:29 pm

Outlaw-Two Brothers Artisan Brewing

More local!

Mosaic IPA.

A shared 12 ounce can legitimately purchased and shared with our younger daughter and her husband last PM.

Yellow-amber color with a small, foamy head. Strong citrus nose and equally strong grapefruit juicy tastes, accompanied by some orange and rind. There's some light honey present, too, but not added. IBUs at 61.2 (I don't invent this stuff-it's on the can) with the ABV at 6.3%, both fairly standard for the style. Was a very good IPA that would pair nicely with a mildly spicy dishes. There are several of these coming home from Chicago...
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 10th, 2018, 10:58 pm

Mr. Mean (draft)-Warped Wing Brewing Company

New zip code, but still drinking local!

Half a 10 ounce snifter, shared with our son.

Pour was a clear, gold-bronze with a small head. Both citrus and pine aromas with grapefruit and resin flavors. Appearance and tastes reminded me of Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA. Paired nicely with his salmon BLT and my spinach salad with a grilled chicken breast. IBUs listed on their website at 96 () which I'd have never guessed. They list the ABV at 9.7% and the restaurant claimed 9%.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 11th, 2018, 10:36 pm

One Night Stand Batch #211 Galaxy NEIPA (draft)-Zaftig Brewing Company

More local!

This brew put our son's Warped Wing Mr. Mean IIPA to shame last PM. And that was a really good beer.

This was the definition of Hazy Juice. The 10 ounce snifter pour wasn't cheap at $7.50 but brought an amazing tropical and citrus juice blend to the forefront immediately as it reached the table. Pineapple, grapefruit and mango aromas, followed by the same tastes with some orange and papaya and a bit of rind and very little pine. Dangerously sippable with only 34 IBUs and 9.5% ABV. Despite the wide difference there, it was not a booze bomb. Paired well with a spinach salad topped with a grilled chicken breast. I'll guess this is only distributed in the Columbus, OH area and I'd have another serving or three of this without hesitation.

A bit of research makes me think One Night Stand is the name they give to any "one-offs" they brew as there are multiple flavors/variants listed on untappd and beeradvocate.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 12th, 2018, 8:11 pm

Magic Visions-Aviator Brewing Company

From their Takeoff Series (which I've never heard of before )

Pint can trader from fuse a couple weeks ago. Thanks!

Pour was an pink-tinged copper hue with a modest, foamy head. Floral and ginger-y nose. I *think* it's a pale ale base with added green tea, honey, hibiscus and ginger. The ginger is fairly prominent throughout the 16 ounces and its warming/spicy presence is subdued/muted a bit with the honey, a good thing. I guess I perceived the added tea but not sure I'd have guessed hibiscus without it being on the label. I'll guess IBUs around 40 and the ABV was 5.6%. I'd match with lamb chops/roast, some roasted potatoes and grilled asparagus. This *may* have helped by GI distress yesterday . An interesting beer to try but wouldn't go for a 4 pack of it.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 15th, 2018, 11:41 pm

Hi Pitch-Hi Wire Brewing (aka The Three Ring Brewing Company)

Don't ask me. Someone from Asheville will have to explain the 2 names.

There are actually too may hyphens when you try to type the beer name and the brewery name so I improvised/edited .

Poured from a 12 ounce can into a standard pint glass that was part of my May Beer Club 4 pack.

Orange-light amber color with a moderate foamy head. Bright grapefruit and rind aromas. There's grapefruit, orange and tangerine on the palate with a bit more rind, a hint of pine, subtle melon and more rind-y finish. I think the featured Mosaic hops impart all the fruitiness and the Centennial hops inject the piney/resin-y flavors. IBUs are 55 and the ABV is 6.7%, both standard for an IPA. Wouldn't hesitate to try a pint on draft or sip another can. Serve with spicy fare or some BBQ ribs or brisket.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 16th, 2018, 9:59 am

A late entry or two from Thursday night:

Day Sailer (draft)-Jordan Lake Brewing Company

Their session IPA and a pretty nice take on the style.

Served in a 10 ounce snifter ($3), it was a pale orange-amber hue with a modest, foamy head. Requisite nose of citrus fruit, most notable grapefruit with a whiff of orange, too. Light tastes of Juicy Fruit gum/sweetness, perhaps with a bit of stone fruit. IBUs at 43 and ABV at 4.3% so fairly easy on the palate. This would be tasty with a chicken avocado BLT and some pasta salad. A cut below Founder's All Day IPA but many session IPAs are relegated there.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 16th, 2018, 10:10 am

Loch Jordan Scotch Ale (draft)-Jordan Lake Brewing Company

Second and final 10 ounce snifter ($4) of our Cary-based Ymm, Beer meet-up Thursday night.

Dark amber appearance with enticing dark caramel scents. Tastes about as expected with some milk chocolate, more caramel/medium brown sugar, faint earthy hops and very little peat/smoke, a bit atypical for the style. IBUs at 23 and ABV a bit boozy at 8.3%. I'd have ordered some ribs or 'cue had it been available with this ale. Not many folks brew Scotch-style ales and this is a good effort.

I'd visit the brewery again but, as fuse said upthread, with Bond Brothers about a mile away, I'd think Jordan Lake Brewing would be a less likely tasting destination for folks in southern/western Wake County. However, they had a good crowd there for trivia night when we were there.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 17th, 2018, 1:26 pm

Mingle (draft)-Brewery Bhavana

Drink local!

Sadly, Mrs. dd needed to do a bit of work at the office last PM. Happily, Bottle Revolution is a 1.5 block stroll downhill from my office so while she toiled, I sipped, making the best of her <1 hour work time and providing lubrication fluid for our night of dancing after "work."

Half pint pour ($3) for a Brett-conditioned pale ale. Yes, please.

Pour was a slightly hazy straw-yellow with a modest, creamy head. Pretty much all the expected stuff with funky, barnyard scents and tastes with some pears, apples and lemons included. I'll guess IBUs about 40 and the ABV was 6.7% so I had room for another flavor in a half pint cup...

If you don't like the Brett "funk," you'll likely not enjoy this or many (? any) Brett-conditioned ales, but if you're a beer-hunter, they're worth trying.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 17th, 2018, 2:17 pm

Continuing last PM's "unusual" beer theme:

Dark Swan-Lagunitas (cough, heineken, cough) Brewing Company

Labeled on the bottle as a sour ale, it lived up to the billing with an interesting twist discovered after sipping and looking at the Lagunitas website info.

The first surprise after pouring from a 12 ounce bottle (from my May beer club 4 pack) into my large Ommegang tulip, this ale was purple! Dark purple. There was a generous, lavender-mocha head. I though it tasted like a sour blackberry stout with red wine barrel again. Turns out, I receive partial credit as it's made with Petite Sirah grapes and not blackberries (or any berries) and there is no barrel aging. Kind of a hybrid "beer-wine." They claim some experimental dry hopping is done but no yeast varieties are mentioned. IBUs of 22.6 are stated (really?) and the ABV is 8.5% so this made a unique and potent nightcap. I think this would pair nicely with a plate of berries before or after dinner.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 17th, 2018, 2:18 pm

Needs the Clown (draft)-Ass Clown Brewing

Drink NC beer!

Second half pint pour of the evening last PM ($3.50).

It's a Flanders Red style sour ale and all boxes checked for appearances, aromas, tastes and mouthfeel.

Cloudy, burgundy color, modest pink head, Sour Patch Kids/Warheads cherry/berry nose, mildly astringent, vinegary yet sour fruity tastes with a very mild palate burn. I'll guess IBUs around 10 with the ABV at 7.2%. Much less puckery than Destihl's Flanders Red and comparable to a Rodenbach (not the Grand Cru). I could see this as an aperitif or digestif.
Bob Green
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by Bob Green » June 17th, 2018, 7:29 pm

Father's Day Beer courtesy of Janice: Fat Tire.

I'm enjoying a couple this evening now that I am home from Duke Raleigh Hospital. My dad remains stable. He is scheduled for an Endoscopic Ultra Sound tomorrow. Hopefully the doctors figure out a plan forward over the next couple of days. My sister and brother are with dad in Raleigh. I'll be going back midweek.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 17th, 2018, 9:49 pm

Oberon Ale-Bell's Brewery

Pint can included in last month's beer club 4 pack.

Initial 12 ounces into a pint glass was slightly hazy, a light bronze color with a moderate, foamy head. The remaining 4 ounces had a bit of sediment/fine "chunk." Nose was a bit spicier than expected as was the tasting which had some of the usual wh*at ale flavors of orange, banana and clove. Bell's doesn't believe in IBU ratings so I'll guess 30 with the ABV on the can of 5.8%. The sediment may have been the age of the beer (brewed on 3/28/18 but shelf life estimated to be 6 months), a typical characteristic of an unfiltered ale or both. Bell's usually makes fine beers but I thought this was average.