LTE 2.0

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Bostondevil
Graduate Student at PWing school

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by Bostondevil » August 14th, 2009, 12:11 am

Blocking a scarf can be considered a bit excessive but I do it. When I give somebody a handknit, I try not to cut any corners. Blocking is what you do after the knitting is done. Some people block before they sew the pieces together but I prefer to do it afterwards. For a scarf, there's no sewing together, so. Anyway, you wet the garment. I usually wash mine at the same time but it isn't absolutely necessary unless the yarn's gotten dirty during the knitting. You squeeze out as much of the water as you can. Then you wrap the garment in a couple of dry towels to get even more of the water out. Then you shape the piece on the blocking board or the bedspread, what have you. In a scarf, it's mainly to keep the sides from curling inwards too much. In a sweater you can sometimes fix small issues with size in the blocking process. For lace, you block the shit out of it. You stretch it out and pin it in place and you don't move it until it's bone dry. There are even such things as blocking wires for lace projects.

I'm taking the scarf to the farewell luncheon at work tomorrow for the intended recipient. She's moving to Germany and tomorrow is her last day at the office.
The time is out of joint, O cursed spite!
Bostondevil

Post by Bostondevil » August 14th, 2009, 12:12 am

A fan will help it dry faster.
The time is out of joint, O cursed spite!
DevilAlumna

Post by DevilAlumna » August 14th, 2009, 12:21 am

DukeUsul wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:
DA makes a very good point here: you don't always click with the person you interview with. That's true from the interviewer end as well. Hopefully all your interviews will go as well as your Wake interview.
That reminds me of a good interview story. I was interviewing college seniors at UNC for my company. I didn't tell many of them that I was a Duke grad. The next day, one of the strongest candidates emails me a thank you. As his PS he writes:
PS-Please don't let the fact that you're working in Durham lead you to the dark side of becoming a Duke fan.
He was a really good guy and a great candidate, so in no way was I going to let that affect my recommendation on him. My email reply in its entirety was:
Oh Tyler, the subject never came up: I'm a Duke grad, class of 1999.
:)
I just left it at that to see how he'd respond. He replied two minutes later in scramble mode to be nice:
Ahh, I suppose I put my foot in my mouth there. If it makes it any better, I took a class there my junior year that was excellent and I have several close friends here in DC who went to Duke, so we rib each other incessantly. I guess I should be thanking you then for overcoming your disdain for the Tar Heels to come meet with us on Monday! Take care.
So make note for your interviews: never insult a school when you don't know where your interviewer went.
HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!!!! That's an AWESOME interview story, DukeUsul - that's going to have me chuckling for days. :D
cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by cl15876 » August 14th, 2009, 12:30 am

DevilAlumna wrote:
DukeUsul wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:
DA makes a very good point here: you don't always click with the person you interview with. That's true from the interviewer end as well. Hopefully all your interviews will go as well as your Wake interview.
That reminds me of a good interview story. I was interviewing college seniors at UNC for my company. I didn't tell many of them that I was a Duke grad. The next day, one of the strongest candidates emails me a thank you. As his PS he writes:
PS-Please don't let the fact that you're working in Durham lead you to the dark side of becoming a Duke fan.
He was a really good guy and a great candidate, so in no way was I going to let that affect my recommendation on him. My email reply in its entirety was:
Oh Tyler, the subject never came up: I'm a Duke grad, class of 1999.
:)
I just left it at that to see how he'd respond. He replied two minutes later in scramble mode to be nice:
Ahh, I suppose I put my foot in my mouth there. If it makes it any better, I took a class there my junior year that was excellent and I have several close friends here in DC who went to Duke, so we rib each other incessantly. I guess I should be thanking you then for overcoming your disdain for the Tar Heels to come meet with us on Monday! Take care.
So make note for your interviews: never insult a school when you don't know where your interviewer went.
HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!!!! That's an AWESOME interview story, DukeUsul - that's going to have me chuckling for days. :D
Apparently a GREAT candidate as you predicted with quick, agile ability to suck up! =)) =)) =)) =))
Turk
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by Turk » August 14th, 2009, 12:32 am

wilson wrote:
Bostondevil wrote:Let's see, Ozzie, Turk, deac, Ymo, and I still double dip. So does Dink.
Two-timers.
Yeah, I still drop in over yonder. I've been trying to find out more about this John Wall guy who keeps popping up in the news...
"The idea is that you are better today than you were yesterday."
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » August 14th, 2009, 12:35 am

Bostondevil wrote:Blocking a scarf can be considered a bit excessive but I do it. When I give somebody a handknit, I try not to cut any corners. Blocking is what you do after the knitting is done. Some people block before they sew the pieces together but I prefer to do it afterwards. For a scarf, there's no sewing together, so. Anyway, you wet the garment. I usually wash mine at the same time but it isn't absolutely necessary unless the yarn's gotten dirty during the knitting. You squeeze out as much of the water as you can. Then you wrap the garment in a couple of dry towels to get even more of the water out. Then you shape the piece on the blocking board or the bedspread, what have you. In a scarf, it's mainly to keep the sides from curling inwards too much. In a sweater you can sometimes fix small issues with size in the blocking process. For lace, you block the shit out of it. You stretch it out and pin it in place and you don't move it until it's bone dry. There are even such things as blocking wires for lace projects.

I'm taking the scarf to the farewell luncheon at work tomorrow for the intended recipient. She's moving to Germany and tomorrow is her last day at the office.
Excellent clarification and I know your intended recipient will absolutely love it, because of your time and heart invested in the gift (that is WHAT IT IS ALL ABOUT, GOOD FOR YOU)!!!! I will accomplish this milestone one day and possibly do it in Duke colors for that someone special, so I may in fact be in need of your blocking skills, once again! Thank you for being gentle with the lesser experienced!!!! (Gosh, I hope that wasn't a grammar foe-paa!) ;)
DevilAlumna

Re: Longest Thread Ever

Post by DevilAlumna » August 14th, 2009, 12:37 am

Lavabe wrote:
colchar wrote:I just watched an episode of a show called Lemur Street. Fascinating.
STILL have yet to see it.

Am STILL waiting on Fight Club. :-o
One of these days, you *will* watch Fight Club, and you will be so mad at yourself for waiting so long to see it.
cl15876

Re: Longest Thread Ever

Post by cl15876 » August 14th, 2009, 12:40 am

DevilAlumna wrote:
Lavabe wrote:
colchar wrote:I just watched an episode of a show called Lemur Street. Fascinating.
STILL have yet to see it.

Am STILL waiting on Fight Club. :-o
One of these days, you *will* watch Fight Club, and you will be so mad at yourself for waiting so long to see it.
gosh - this is sounding like a cross between sesame street and cage fighting? 8-} :-B :-? :-? :-?
DevilAlumna

Post by DevilAlumna » August 14th, 2009, 12:42 am

cl15876 wrote:
Shammrog wrote:What do you all take for headaches anyway?
Ibiprofin is much better than Advil for your internal organs, so I am told! Take 4 200mg and that is equivalent to 1 prescription strength version and you could still take more. I think your body can handle upto 3000mg per day of this rather than the other, although I do in deed hate taking drugs of any kind.
Umm, Ibuprofen IS Advil. Or rather, Advil is a namebrand version of the generic drug, Ibuprofen. Motrin is another namebrand for the same drug.

Just like Tylenol is the namebrand version of Acetaminophen (or, if you're in the UK, paracetamol.)
DevilAlumna

Post by DevilAlumna » August 14th, 2009, 12:45 am

ArkieDukie wrote:
cl15876 wrote:
Shammrog wrote:What do you all take for headaches anyway?
Ibiprofin is much better than Advil for your internal organs, so I am told! Take 4 200mg and that is equivalent to 1 prescription strength version and you could still take more. I think your body can handle upto 3000mg per day of this rather than the other, although I do in deed hate taking drugs of any kind.
:-B Science nerd, science nerd to the LTE... :-B

Actually, Advil is ibuprofen. Tylenol is acetaminophen. I don't think it's a good idea to go above the recommended dose on either one, though devildeac and/or DukePA probably know more about this than I do. Acetaminophen is a bit worse though. Don't ever take acetaminophen if you've got alcohol in your system, unless you want liver damage. Stick with aspirin.

:-B And thus ends the Science Nerd Moment for today. :-B
Ahh, I see AD has stepped in on this too. :) (That's what I get for posting before catching up on ALL the thread.)
DevilAlumna

Post by DevilAlumna » August 14th, 2009, 12:49 am

Bostondevil wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:
Bostondevil wrote:Let's see, Ozzie, Turk, deac, Ymo, and I still double dip. So does Dink.
I used to, but it's been a while since I posted over yonder.
Yeah, I was going to put you on the list as well but I couldn't remember if you still did or not. I remember that you double dipped for awhile.
I brought it back from page 2 once. :(
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » August 14th, 2009, 12:50 am

DevilAlumna wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:
cl15876 wrote:"quote="Shammrog""What do you all take for headaches anyway?"/quote"

:-B Science nerd, science nerd to the LTE... :-B

Actually, Advil is ibuprofen. Tylenol is acetaminophen. I don't think it's a good idea to go above the recommended dose on either one, though devildeac and/or DukePA probably know more about this than I do. Acetaminophen is a bit worse though. Don't ever take acetaminophen if you've got alcohol in your system, unless you want liver damage. Stick with aspirin.

:-B And thus ends the Science Nerd Moment for today. :-B
Ahh, I see AD has stepped in on this too. :) (That's what I get for posting before catching up on ALL the thread.)
It's okay bebe! We were just trying to help Sham and avoid an apparent "Quack" like myself from misleading him with 3rd hand info!!!! Sham we ALL love you!!!!! :D :-bd Hope your headache (the one above your shoulders) feels better!!!! :-bd :-bd :-bd
DevilAlumna

Post by DevilAlumna » August 14th, 2009, 12:56 am

wilson wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote:Our post rate right now is fucking incredible!
So of course, now it stops.
Well, not yet...although this is generally the time of night that people start signing off and turning in (except Sue, but she's kind of on approved leave right now).
:ymsigh: :-w :-t

(Where's the crying emoticon?)
DevilAlumna

Post by DevilAlumna » August 14th, 2009, 1:00 am

I'm taking tomorrow off. Tonight's a Friday for me - woot! :D
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » August 14th, 2009, 1:04 am

DevilAlumna wrote:I'm taking tomorrow off. Tonight's a Friday for me - woot! :D
Excellent! Time for a long weekend and SEAFOOD and TULIPS!!!! I wish you would have given me a heads up so I could have planned appropriately!!!!! :D
DevilAlumna

Post by DevilAlumna » August 14th, 2009, 1:09 am

Tides are great tomorrow for getting in two dives in the afternoon. http://www.dairiki.org/tides/daily.php/sea/2009-08-14

We're headed to a site that's pretty current sensitive, but is supposed to be an amazing dive - we've planned to hit the site on this date for months now.

http://www.shorediving.com/Earth/USA_We ... /index.htm
Turk

Post by Turk » August 14th, 2009, 1:19 am

Taking the day off tomorrow. Mrs. Turk and I are going rafting with the Turk brood on the Lehigh River. Nothing like Ohiopyle or WVa rafting, but good enough for the young'uns, and a decent weather forecast too....
Turk

Post by Turk » August 14th, 2009, 1:27 am

Caddyshack is on AMC right now, but I am NOT staying up to watch it. Catch yins later. Probably get back on line sometime Saturday with 15-20 pages of posts to catch up on... <sigh>
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 14th, 2009, 1:47 am

I got sucked into watching Black Hawk Down. It's finally over. Nite all. (-|
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 14th, 2009, 7:18 am

Look, Ma; no overnight PWing session!
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein