Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by devildeac » May 3rd, 2018, 7:52 pm

Graeter's-Braxton Brewing Company

"An irresistible collaboration between two handcrafted families."

This limited special release is a black raspberry, chocolate chip milk stout and the brewing is done with lactose, cocoa nibs and raspberry puree.

Poured from a 12 ounce can last pm, it appeared a beautiful, ruby-dark brown with a moderate reddish-tan head. Smell? Is there such a thing as a raspberry chocolate soda? Tastes? Dark chocolate-dipped raspberry jellies? Moderately sweet but with a cocoa finish. IBUs at 30 and ABV was 7% so on the edge of an imperial milk stout. Sipped from a Founder's snifter over 45 minutes as it warmed to near room temperature. No pastry/cake necessary:p. Might be better than Love Ninja I (or is it II?) from Asheville Brewing Company and the Rubus Cacao I had last year from Mad Tree Brewing.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 3rd, 2018, 10:58 pm

Espress Yo'self-Southern Pines Brewing Company

Yep, it's May and I'm extending NC Beer Month by several days, maybe a couple weeks .

Half pint can for about $3.50 with my 10% off build your own 6er discount a couple weeks ago.

Pour was almost black with a single finger (index, not that finger ) thick tan head. Strong coffee aromas and a mixture of dark chocolate, java, burnt grains and molasses tastes. Almost imperial milk stout sweet but no info to be found to verify any lactose as an ingredient. Mild bitterness with IBUs at 30 (on the can) with ABV at 8.3%, so an imperial stout by any standards. SRM of 56-yea, it's that dark. Needed a splash of half and half . There's a bit of sediment in the last 1/4 ounce so be careful if you pour aggressively . Hoping Tripping William will try this after his next 18 holes in the NC Sandhills.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 7th, 2018, 9:35 pm

Waaaay too long waiting to review this. From last week:

Follow Your Heart Southward-Casita Cerveceria

The last beer this "gypsy" brewer ever brewed at Hill Farmstead before returning to his roots in eastern NC and starting to brew again at Duck-Rabbit Craft Brewery. It wasn't ready when he left Hill Farmstead last year so he had to return this winter/spring to pick up/bottle/transport the concoction back to NC.

A new, local bottle shop, Falls Village Wine and Beer, got a couple cases of this from the head brewer, accountant, marketing director, distributor of this new brewery and it apparently wasn't moving too quickly at $22/500 ml bottle () so he had a "rare" beer night last week and poured 6 ounce aliquots for $7 each. Glad he emailed me with the notification.

This beer was amazing. Pour was thick and black with a thin rim of a mocha head. Seductive nose of dark chocolate, espresso and bourbon. Immediate tastes of semi-sweet chocolate, chewy fudge. Strong but not overpowering dark roast coffee was present with a bit of nuttiness, dark, dark caramel, molasses hints of vanilla and a warm, boozy finish. It is an imperial stout that was bourbon barrel-aged for a year with pecan coffee on cocoa nibs with vanilla added. I'll guess IBUs about 50 and the ABV was 11% so I sipped my portion for about 30 minutes. Maybe more. Name your favorite BBA RIS and this one will equal or better it. Beyond decadent.

For you folks in NC, if you ever see any Casita Cerveceria brews on tap or in cans, buy one or several. You will not be disappointed. The several products I've sampled so far have been excellent but that comes as no surprise considering where the founder learned his craft.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 7th, 2018, 9:48 pm

Streamside Mango-Neuse River Brewing Company

NC Beer Month is gone but I have a few leftovers .

This was a ~$4 pint can from a local brewery (about 7 miles from our house) that I never sampled until visiting the new bottle shop mentioned in the post above and the owner offered 10% off a mixed 6er so...

Pour was a hazy sunshine hue with a mildly sour nose. It is indeed a sour ale. Not Belgian/Flanders/Rodenbach or Destihl Brewery (IL) sour but, nonetheless sour. Maybe Realemon meets Dole mango/orange juice? It most resembled a gose to me with a slightly salty palate, a mild pucker, lemon sour and a hint of mango and papaya sweet. I'll guess IBUs about 10 (it's sour, not bitter if that makes sense) and the ABV was 4%. Maybe pair with a sweet and sour dish? Not sure I'd re-visit this but would certainly include this joint on a brew tour of Raleigh, next door to Nickelpoint Brewing and about 3/4 mile from Sub Noir (if they still exist) and a mile from Lynwood Brewing Concern and another 1/4 mile from Big Boss Brewing.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 8th, 2018, 6:41 pm

Stardust to Stardust-North High Brewing Company

Traded some NC brews for some Ohio brews about 10 days ago and this was one of them.

"This Imperial IPA is inspired by some of the greatest music ever made and crafted with the best interstellar hops we could find."

Or:

"Brewed to celebrate the life of David Bowie, Stardust To Stardust is brewed with Galaxy, Apollo, and Comet hops." (And Bravo hops, too.)

The pour from a 12 ounce can was cloudy yellow with a modest, foamy head. Pineapple-y and grapefruit-y nose with the same tastes plus a bit of rind and resin. Mild light brown sugar sweetness. IBUs at 72 and the ABV is 8.8%. Round up some mildly spicy fare with a glass of this. Looking forward to trading a couple and sharing a couple and having another all to myself in a couple weeks.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 8th, 2018, 10:00 pm

Grove-Brewery Bhavana

My first BB beer and I'm impressed. Very impressed.

Pint can for about $5.50 (a bit spendy) with my 10% mixed 6er discount at Falls Village Wine and Beer, the new store about 1.5 miles from our house, and bought a couple weeks ago during NC Beer Month.

Color was orange-yellow and appearance was hazy. Real hazy. It's labeled an IIPA but with the tropical juicy, fruity aromas and an ABV at 8%, I guess it's really an imperial New England style IPA. Tastes are a potpourri of tangerine, pineapple, grapefruit, zest, pith and mango. Bursting with juiciness. No IBU to be located so I'll venture about 50. I'm not sure I'd spend $20+ on a 4 pack of this but I'd certainly like to visit the restaurant and brewery (both voted among the top 50ish new restaurants and breweries in the US last year) and have an entree and a pint draft of this.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 10th, 2018, 4:38 pm

Cosmic Opposites: Black IPA-Casita Ceveceria

Brewed and canned at Duck-Rabbit Craft Brewery.

Pint can for about $4, with the 10% mixed 6er discount, bought in April, NC Beer Month.

Pour was almost stout-colored as expected. Consistency, appearance and mouthfeel was thinner, again, as expected. Nose of over-toasted pumpernickel and coffee and tastes of the same with a fair amount of piney/resin-y bitterness and a bit of grapefruit. Brewing with Mt. Hood, Chinook and Columbus hops are likely the culprits for those tastes. It'd be interesting to use a different assortment of hops (Simcoe, Citra, Mosaic to name a few) and see if the tastes changed to more tropical/citrus fruitiness. Oats listed on the can, too, so there is some smoothing/silkiness to the tasting. I suspect the grain bill is black/patent/Chocolate malts among others. No IBUs listed so I'll guess 70. The ABV is 7%. Interesting to try/taste but I won't revisit. Will list in the category of a well-brewed ale for the style but not one of my favorite IPA variations.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 11th, 2018, 9:52 pm

Angry Mayor (draft/crowler)-Lansing Brewing Company

Quart can gifted to me by a niece's husband about 2 weeks ago and shared with older son-in-law at dinner tonight.

Pour was a mildly hazy, orange-yellow with a modest, creamy head. Fairly even aromas of juicy fruits and piney resins, followed by a bit more grapefruit and orange than bitter hops. IBUs of 60 and ABV of 6.8%, both pretty standard for the style. Paired nicely with some grilled/rubbed/mildly spiced chicken, a kale/broccoli/dried fruits/walnut salad and roasted red potatoes. Hmm, we're going to have to arrange meet-ups with him more often .
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 11th, 2018, 10:09 pm

Hey Hoops!-Trophy Brewing Company

(Are we allowed to discuss hoops in the beer thread? I'm hoping so, especially if we can chat about hops in some of the basketball threads .)

More local!

I think this was a $12 four pack of pint cans bought at the pizza/brewery location last month during NC Beer Month.

Pour was a cloudy, yellow-cream color with a small head. Mild grapefruity scents followed by Tropicana Light grapefruit juice with a moderate amount of pith and zest. Light, malty/grainy backbone and minimal sweetness. No IBUs quoted so I'll guess about 40 based on the NE IPA style. ABV stated at 5.7% on the can label. This is the 3rd NE IPA I've had of Trophy's in the last couple months and King of Boggle was clearly the best, followed by Cloud Surfer and this one. A good but not great/outstanding beverage. Worth a single can or draft but not a 4 pack though 2 went to Ohio last month and I have one remaining.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 12th, 2018, 9:45 pm

Baby Horse (draft)-21st Amendment Brewery

Not local!

Five ounce part of a flight in a cute little tulip glass.

Quadrupel Belgian-style ale with all the expected findings: aromas of dark, dried fruits and dark brown sugar and tastes of the same with a bit of rum, caramel, low bitterness (IBUs likely around 20) and dangerous ABV at 9.5%. Pretty clear/clean but dark brown hue with a small head. Website pictures this in cans and I'd buy a small litter of these if I ever saw them.

Flavor Hops: Golding, Sterling
Yeast: Abbey Yeast
Malts: Pale Malt, Biscuit, White Wh*at
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 12th, 2018, 9:56 pm

Frankenstark (draft)-Currahee Brewing Company

Drink local! (Franklin, NC)

Another 5 ounce pour sipped before dinner.

Clear, light gold color with a small head and scents of a typical Belgian-style golden ale, including flowers, light brown sugar and lightly toasted whole wh*at bread. Tastes were a bit buttery, mildly sweet and orange-y with minimal bitterness (IBUs quoted at 30) and ABV at 8.2%. I've never heard of this brewery and their website is an interesting read (https://www.curraheebrew.com/our-name). I'd certainly sip another of their products if seen again.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 12th, 2018, 10:11 pm

Hibernal Fluxus 2016 (draft)-Allagash Brewing Company

Final 5 ounce sample from tonight's flight and after dinner drink.

Every once in a while during one's beer-hunting days/decades, you take a chance with an order/purchase and stumble upon a gem and this was tonight's (maybe this year's best purchase).

Pour was almost onyx with a thin, mocha head. Seductive scents of dark, dried fruits, baker's cocoa and coffee make the first impression. Mouthfeel is smooth and silky (it's labeled a sweet, Belgian-style stout) and tastes are almost perfect replications of the aromas with some dark caramel and heavily roasted grains, too. I'll guess IBUs around 40-50 and the ABV is 8%, making it an imperial stout.

The Fluxus story:

https://www.allagash.com/beer/hibern...us/?ao_confirm

Some ingredients (lots of Euro contents, as expected):

Grains: Marris Otter, Roasted Barley, Midnight Wh*at, Special B, Chocolate Malt, Oats

Hops: Northern Brewer, Hallertau

Spices/Other: Figs

Yeast: House

I think I've seen the 750 ml format in stores and never bought it, recalling the purchase price at $15 or more. Tonight's $1.75 five ounce sample was a steal.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 13th, 2018, 11:15 am

Mountain Spring-Blowing Rock Brewing Company

Twelve ounce can I stole from our older son-in-law last PM .

Labeled as a "juicy hopped blonde ale." Uh-oh.

Pour was a light, golden sunshine color with a small head. Light floral and tropical aromas. Tasted more bitter than I expected with IBUs of only 24. Must have been the Amarillo and Azacca hop varieties, though both are described as having tropical and fruity properties. Bitterness was floral with nuances of grapefruit and stone fruits. ABV was 5%. Would make a nice pairing with a mildly spicy/hot entree.

Might be my palate or my cerebral shortcomings (or both), but I'm not developing a fondness for this variant of blonde ales .
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 13th, 2018, 9:39 pm

High Country-Blowing Rock Brewing Company

Drink local! Trader beer, a 12 ounce can, with our older son-in-law.

It's an American pale ale and the pour was light bronze with a one finger head. Subtle aromas of citrus and pine with very mild tastes of the same with a bit of light brown sugar sweetness. Pretty mild/average overall. IBUs at 29 but really tasted less bitter than the "juicy hopped blonde ale" from last PM, even with Cascade and Centennial hops in this brew. I'd enjoy this with some mild grilled fare whether it was burgers, sausages, chicken or seafood. Worth a can/draft if you're in western NC but not worth a 6er.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 14th, 2018, 10:19 pm

Outta This Galaxy-Trophy Brewing Company

Printed on the label of this 16 ounce can:

"Pushing the boundaries of what is expected of beer."

"Pioneering new styles of beer with exciting ingredients & innovative processes."

No indication of style on the label. Name of beer in small block letters just above 8.1% ABV and 04/12/18, so, fresh beer! Bought as a 4 pack for $16 last month at the original Trophy location.

More local!

The first hints are the ABV and the name, thinking it's some variation of IPA with a single hop. Check.

Pop the top and decant. Whoa, this is hazy! Real hazy. Pretty foamy, too. Did I just pour 16 ounces of pineapple juice into my glass? Not quite but it sure looks and smells like it. Wait, it tastes like Dole pineapple-grapefruit-orange juice. Or maybe liquid Juicy Fruit gum. Minimal bitterness perceived but listed at 70 IBUs on Untapped (and 8.4% ABV)! I'd have never guessed that high. There's a bit of zest/rind. This beer would be happy with a fruit plate or some sweet and sour shrimp/pork/chicken.

Conclusion: This is a really, really good imperial New England IPA and I'd buy this again as a single, draft or 4 pack.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 20th, 2018, 10:01 pm

Whiskey Rebellion (2017)-Warped Wing Brewing Company

This was a Christmas gift from our son and was a 375 ml capped bottle. One review on beeradvocate said $10 for the bottle . (Mama done a good job raising him .)

Poured into an Allagash tulip with half after dinner and the other half as a nightcap. Almost black pour with a thin, beige head. Do you like bourbon? Then you'll like the aromas. Do you like fudge? Dark, chocolate, chewy fudge? Then you'll really like the tastes of this BBA imperial stout. Do you like bourbon balls, maybe dipped in dark/semi-sweet chocolate? Say no more. There are hints of molasses and espresso in the tastes, too. I'll guess 40 IBUs and the ABV (in very small print) on the label is 11.2%. I intended to share this bottle with our son last month during our visit to their abode but he had purchased a bottle for himself, too, so the above was all mine.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 21st, 2018, 9:23 pm

Traeblod (draft)-Mikkeller Brewing Company

Buck off draft night at new bottle shop 1.8 miles from the house . Dangerous.

Twelve ounce pour was black with a thin beige head. This is basically semi-sweet chocolate-flavored maple syrup and I'd pour this over a stack of Mrs. dd's pancakes in a micro-second. There are hints of coffee, black strap molasses and dark caramel. Nothing burnt here. IBUs at 60 and ABV is 11%. Glad I only had 3/4 of a pint. I'd buy a can or four of this in a heartbeat. Highly recommended.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 27th, 2018, 10:38 pm

Big S.I.P.A. (draft)-Gizmo Brew Works.

Half pint pour for $3 with the esteemed fuse this evening reviewed without notes.

Sour
India
Pale
Ale

Yes, indeed, a contrast in styles. Pour was a light yellow with a small head. Smelled like pineapple-grapefruit lemonade. First taste was homemade lemonade with a generous mix of Dole pineapple-grapefruit juice. Maybe what a Juicyfruit radler would taste like. Very mildly astringent/sour with quite pleasant tropical nuances. No IBUs listed but I'll guess 40-50 and the ABV was 6.2%. Would pair well with a sweet and sour entree or some fruity salsa/queso.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 27th, 2018, 10:49 pm

Queen Bee (draft)-Gizmo Brew Works

An imperial honey wh*at beer that really would/should be called a wh*at wine but you know how some of us try to stay gluten-free here .

This was $6 for a snifter, guessing about 12 ounces. Pour was a cloudy orange-yellow with a small, creamy head. Nose of orange, honey and lightly toasted grain. Tastes of the same with a bit of light brown sugar, banana and cloves and mildly cloying. This is the "grown-up" version of Beekeeper, pone of their year round offerings that is a honey wh*at ale. I'll estimate 20 IBUs here and the ABV was 9% and after the S.I.P.A, this and a couple little tastes from fuse's flight, I realized I had sampled enough for the evening.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 29th, 2018, 8:21 pm

From 5/24/10:
devildeac wrote:Racer 5-Bear Republic-Healdsburg, California

New brew to me. I have seen several flavors around from this brewery but never sampled one until a drug rep gave me a bottle a couple weeks ago and I enjoyed the bomber over the last couple nights. Solid IPA with a slightly golden-yellow color with a nice, foamy head. Grapefruit aroma and hops all the way with Chinook, Cascade, Columbia and 0ne other variety I can't recall. Even Mrs. DD detected the pungent citrus aroma with a couple sniffs and she didn't even guess nutmeg or cinnamon as she usually does /:) . I'd round up the usually spicy grilled chicken or fish suspects or even curry with this brew. Hefty IBU at 75+ (from the web site) and a fairly standard 7% ABV. I'd certainly try some other brews from these folks if offered or I see some over the summer.
From moments ago:

Racer 5-Bear Republic Brewing

Gifted to me tonight for my wife's birthday (she got a nice bottle of Columbia Valley Pinot Gris) a couple weeks ago by one of our part-time employees, who also delivered a home-cooked meal (yes, I was allowed to share ) of grilled chicken, grilled tomatoes, an arugula and shaved parmesan salad, a giant roll and a warm cherry pie with some Breyer's Extra Creamy Vanilla ice cream. Excellent pairing with the entree and salad.

I don't think they've changed this much in 5 years except the ABV is now 7.5%. A standard and solid west coast IPA.