Post by devildeac » April 11th, 2018, 9:48 pm

C.R.E.A.M.-Appalachian Mountain Brewery

Cappuccino
Rules
Everything
Around
Me

Drink NC!

Pint can bought Monday evening on the suggestion of younger daughter and her husband who took a mixed 6er with a can of this in it to some friends' house while visiting NC last week. Designated on the can as a milk stout brewed with chocolate, local doughnuts and coffee from Lion Coffee and Doughnuts according to website. Pour was almost black, guessing easily over 40 SRM, with a small mocha head. Moderate coffee nose with plenty of dark chocolate aromas, too. Almost fudge-y tastes with more java and some dark caramel on the palate. Not sure I "get" the doughnuts but I guess I could imagine this as a chocolate cake doughnut/cappuccino milk shake. Pretty smooth mouthfeel. IBUs stated at 23 and the ABV was 5.2%. Nice price at $3.50 for the 16 ounces and would certainly buy again.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by devildeac » April 11th, 2018, 10:30 pm

King Coconut-Catawba Brewing Company

More NC beverage!

Another can (12 ounces) for $2.50 bought on Monday to support NC Beer Month.

This is a porter brewed with ingredients listed below that is then aged on toasted coconut for several weeks. Poured a dark brown into a pint glass with a thin, tan head. Milk chocolate and coconut aromas. Wait, did someone unwrap an Almond Joy bar? It sure tastes like one but with minimal nuttiness and maybe a drizzle of coffee. Mild bitterness (IBUs of 30) with the ABV at 5.5%. I had one Burial Bolo Coconut Brown Ale that was superior to this a couple years ago and another from the same 4 pack that had a metallic/"off" taste that was clearly inferior to this one. An interesting comparison.

HOPS: Magnum / East Kent Goldings / Fuggle

MALT: Pale / Crystal / Chocolate / Black / Flaked Wh*at (trying to stay gluten-free on Ymm, Beer)
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » April 12th, 2018, 9:01 am

devildeac wrote:Mango Tango Foxtrot-Deep River Brewing Company

Pint can to celebrate freedom from call for a few days and NC Beer Month.

Pour was a cloudy, orange-yellow with a moderate, foam head. Yep, it smells like mangoes and other tropical fruits and tastes like a tropical juice blend, including mangos (they claim none harmed while brewing the beer), papaya, guava some pineapple and maybe a splash of tangerine. Australian hops mentioned but not named on their website. The finish was a tad bitter and disappointing. No IBUs charted on website but the IBU-ometer on the 16 ounce can had its needle just under 75. Website claims ABV of 5.7% but the ABV gauge on the can had its indicator closer to 7%. Would pair well with sweet and sour dishes. No tangos or foxtrots were performed after consumption of the above half quart of this IPA.
Sounds a lot like Magic Hat #9! But no disappointments with #9! :)) :9f:
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 14th, 2018, 11:42 am

From 9/13/16:
devildeac wrote:Dale's Pale Ale-Oskar Blues Brewing (Longmont version)

Sorry, Ashevillians, that's what's at the bottom of the 12 ounce can that August West traded me on Saturday from his canundrum.

Interestingly, their website calls it a strong pale ale. At 65 IBUs and 6.5% ABV, why not just label it an IPA? Pours/smells/tastes like one with a light copper color, a thick, foamy head, a nose of spruce/resin and a palate of citrus pith and some evergreen. It'd be fun to taste test this with a Shelter PA from DFH, which I haven't had for years. Or would it be more fun to sip alongside OB's relatively new IPA (also a trader from Saturday) along with Foothills Jade IPA, another trader from the NCCU tailgate from dpslaw. Hmmm...

From last PM:

Dale's Pale Ale (Brevard version)-Oskar Blues Brewing

Drink NC beer!

Poured from a stovepipe can (19.2 ounces) which took over an hour to finish. This was one of four from my April beer club 4 pack (all stovepipes!), so not bad at all for my average cost of $7.41/month ($89 annual membership). Not sure its appearance/scents/mouthfeel/tastes are much different now. My palate is a bit different however as I've "evolved" more toward fruity/fruited PAs and IPAs instead of the piney/resinous ones and this one falls more into the second category.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » April 14th, 2018, 7:35 pm

Sam ‘76, Sam Adams. I thought I’d give it a try (it was on the beer cart on the course today). Can said IBUs 12. It was all grapefruit. If I wanted a damn IPA, which I didn’t, I’d have gotten one. Won’t get this again.
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 14th, 2018, 9:51 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:Sam ‘76, Sam Adams. I thought I’d give it a try (it was on the beer cart on the course today). Can said IBUs 12. It was all grapefruit. If I wanted a damn IPA, which I didn’t, I’d have gotten one. Won’t get this again.
You need to take your palate in for a "tune-up =)) =)) ." Here are the "stats:"

HOPS VARIETIES
Cascade, Citra, Mosaic, Simcoe

MALT VARIETIES
Samuel Adams two-row pale malt, White Wheat, Carafoam

COLOR
Light Golden, SRM: 5

ALC. By Vol/WT
4.7% ABV – 3.8% ABW

IBUs

The Simcoe, Citra and Mosaic hops should impart some citrus-y flavors to the brew but those low IBUs are even less than Yuengling Lager which has 16 :-o .
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 15th, 2018, 1:46 pm

Moon Bear-Clown Shoes Beer

Well, not local .

Half quart can "gifted" to me by younger daughter and son-in-law during their visit last week and sipped for an hour or more for dessert last PM.

Pour was dark, dark brown with a moderate, creamy, foamy, tan head. It's a milk stout brewed with dark roast Vietnamese coffee so the expected aromas and tastes were all present and included java (but not as much as anticipated), semi-sweet dark chocolate, dark caramel, a bit of alcohol and almost burned pumpernickel bread. Pretty smooth mouthfeel, almost oily, so I'll guess there are some oats in the grain bill. Lactose gives it the milk stout moniker. No IBU stats could be located so I'll estimate 30-40. ABV on the can was 7% so at the top end for a non-imperial stout. The beertender at a local craft beer store highly recommended it to the family and they were kind enough to purchase for me after they had a two ounce draft sample. Pair with a snifter or a caramel/chocolate dessert. I'd sip/purchase another one of these.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 16th, 2018, 6:13 pm

From 6/27/17:
devildeac wrote:All Day IPA-Founders Brewing

Two ounce canned sample from the local Founders beer rep.

Pour was a yellow-gold with a small head. Simcoe and Amarillo hops impart (some) grapefruit and (more) pine to the aromas and tastes. IBUs of 42 and ABV of 4.7%. Why not label it a pale ale? Not bad, but I prefer the "real thing."
From last PM:

All Day IPA (19.2 stovepipe can @-) -dated 2/28/18)-Founders Brewing

This was beer #2 from my April beer club 4 pack.

Upon further review, there might be a bit more citrus (grapefruit and orange) and rind in the canned version but there's still a lot of piney/resin tastes for a session IPA. Probably picking nits here, but, I'd still prefer an standard IPA, though one with more tropical and/or citrus-y and juicy tastes than piney/resinous ones. Still a very good beer.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 16th, 2018, 10:49 pm

Humidity-Fullsteam Brewing Company

Drink local! It's still NC Beer Month

Last of my mixed NC 6er from last week. This was $2 for the 12 ounce can.

Pour was a cloudy, orange-yellow with a moderate foamy head. Odd smell of mustiness, hay and citrus, but, when the ingredients are researched a bit, it becomes readily understandable as it's made with NC farmed and malted triticale. WTH (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triticale)? Interesting read, especially learning it's a hybrid wh*at (trying to stay gluten-free, even on Ymm, Beer)/rye grain. The tastes match up with the scents with some wet rye bread, a bit of orange, some funk and straw. IBUs of 50 and ABV at 6%, so a bit at the fringes for a pale ale. Certainly worth a taste but I don't think I'd buy this again and I salute the brewers for many of their farm-to-brewery products. This would make an interesting pairing with burgers and maybe some beer can chicken.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 17th, 2018, 10:33 am

From 5/9/15:
devildeac wrote:Pinner Throwback IPA-Oskar Blues (Brevard, NC)

Drink NC local!

This was a 12 ounce can shared with our son with a dinner of crabcakes (99% lump crabmeat), lime teriyaki shrimp, roasted garlic asparagus, fresh corn and a Caesar salad. Poured a light straw with a a small head. Some citrus and tropical fruits to tickle the nares then some pine and resin to accompany the mango and papaya flavors with a light, honey-like finish. IBUs of 35 and ABV of 4.9% so another entry in the "throwback" or session IPAs described as "crushable" on their web site. And I thought they were referring to the environmentally friendly aluminum can. My only quibble is that with those stats, why is this labeled an IPA when it really looks, tastes and measures like a pale ale?
From last PM:

Pinner Throwback IPA-Oskar Blues Brewing

Beer tastes better from a stovepipe (19.2 ounce) can . Beer #3 from my April beer club 4 pack.

Pretty similar olfactory and gustatory impressions to those from almost 3 years ago. Citrus and tropical notes are mild and more prominent and enjoyable than the piney/resinous ones, much to my palate's pleasures. I'd still pair with mild grilled fare (shrimp, chicken, fish) and prefer this over the Founder's All Day IPA, though I could certainly understand why folks would favor the latter.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 17th, 2018, 10:28 pm

BFD-Sierra Nevada Brewing Company

No, that's not what the acronym stands for, it means Beer For Drinking .

Last pint can from my April beer club 4 pack.

Pour was a clear pale yellow with a modest, foamy head. This stuff smells like Tropicana 50 grapefruit juice with a splash of mango. But wait, SN claims it's a hoppy blonde ale. Oh, no, not another Mother Earth Blackbeard's Booty! Sure tastes like a session IPA with its light citrus and tropical flavors and some hop bitterness. C'mon now, did you look at the ingredients below? It sounds/looks more like a Euro pilsner.

YEAST: Ale yeast
BITTERING HOPS: Simcoe
FINISHING HOPS: Polaris, Comet
MALTS: Two-row Pale, Acidulated, Munich, Pilsner

You're not fooling me-Simcoe hops make IPAs taste and smell like grapefruit. And, BTW, WTH are Polaris and Comet hops? See? The malts are Munich and Pilsner so this is really a lager. With the ABV at 4.8% and IBUs at 33, it could be any of the above. Or even a pale ale.

Solution: Create a new Great American Beer Festival category. Let's call it a session hoppy blonde IPA lager.

I'd actually buy another of these to share/compare with a friend or family member. It'd pair well with some sweet and sour chicken/shrimp/scallops and some rice pilaf.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 18th, 2018, 10:48 pm

IPA (brewed on 11/20/17)-Nickelpoint Brewing Company

(no, not Nickelback )

Drink local! It's still NC Beer Month

Poured from a $2 (tax included!) 12 ounce can into a standard pint glass. Color was bronze/copper with a modest, creamy head. Nose of pine/resin and some citrus. Tastes were balanced between piney and citrusy with some herbal/earthy notes, making me think more of an English IPA instead of an American variety. IBUs or 58 and ABV at 6.5%. Would make a nice pairing with grilled fare or even a spicy entree. Wouldn't have again but would like to visit the brewery which is about 6-7 miles from our house, adjacent to Neuse River Brewing Company.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 18th, 2018, 11:02 pm

Zest Yo'Self-Appalachian Mountain Brewing

More local NC beer!

This 12 ounce can set me back $2.50, a reasonable price. No brewed on date .

Poured a light copper/bronze into a standard pint glass. Faint nose of grapefruit (added). Not much grapefruit on the palate initially but the midpoint and finish are mild to moderately bitter, rind-y, juicy and pithy. IBUs are 66 and the ABV is on the can and on their website at 6.8%, so reasonably balanced. Appears to be on draft at the brewery and I'd certainly try a taster/sampler of this fresh if we visit Boone any time soon, but not sure I'd purchase another can. Pair with some spicy fare.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 20th, 2018, 7:59 pm

Lo-Pitch Juicy IPA-Hi-Wire Brewing (aka The Three Ring Brewing Company )

NC Beer Month!

Not a session IPA and not a NE IPA. Guess it's a NE session IPA .

Twelve ounce bottle that set me back $2, a nice price. Pour was a mildly hazy, sunshine hue with a modest, foamy head. Smells like a Dole fruit juice blend and tastes like one, too, with grapefruit, pineapple, mango and orange throughout and a minimally bitter, rind-y finish. Would pair well with soft cheeses, a fruit plate or a mango-covered, grilled chicken breast or maybe coconut shrimp. IBUs at 35 and ABV of 4.9%. Very crushable. Hops include Loral, Columbus, Equinox, & Simcoe.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 21st, 2018, 11:24 pm

Cryonic-D9 Brewing Company

Drink more local (sort of-keep reading )!

A sticky India pale ale. I shoulda taken that hint.

Smells like PineSol: Clap, clap, clap/clap/clap.

Tastes like PineSol: Clap, clap, clap/clap/clap.

This is one of those pine/resin bombs that is bitter beyond its IBU rating of 42. I'd have guessed 70-80 range. ABV was 7.5% and it still wasn't that well balanced. Pour was from a $3.50 pint can and appeared a clear, golden-yellow with a modest head, so no visual hints of spoilage. Didn't smell or taste like wet cardboard so no tastes of bad beer. It's just a style/hop blend that didn't suit my taste buds. Disappointing, too, as I think Tripping William has reviewed at least one D9 brew (Whiskers on Kittens, IIRC) and I recall a (very?) favorable post. D9 also appears to have quite an assortment of other brews that sound rather tasty.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 21st, 2018, 11:33 pm

Hopness Monster-Catawba Brewing Company

Drink (almost) local!

Two buck can. Twelve ounces that was light copper with a medium head. Mixture of tropical, citrus and pine aromas with tastes of the same, not surprising given the hops listed below. Reasonable balance with IBUs of 60 and ABV of 6.5%, both pretty standard for the style. I think the Cascade hops give it the resinous notes and the Citra just not enough fruitiness to overcome the bitterness. A bit disappointed again but I'll blame my palate and changing tastes and not the beer.

HOPS: Citra / Cascade

MALT: 2 Row Pale / Caramalt / Flaked Wh*at
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 22nd, 2018, 1:34 pm

From 4/27/14:
devildeac wrote:Death by Hops-Olde Hickory Brewing

From their web site cuz this is too complicated for me to 'splain myself:

Alex Buerckholtz, owner of Hops & Vines in Asheville, NC, was the winner of the First Olde Hickory Pro Am competition with this very fine beer. Our brew master says:
"71lbs of high alpha hops were used to make this beer. That’s just over 20 grams of hops used for each pint! DBH was brewed with 2 row barley, Carapils and Crisp Crystal 45 malts and fermented to 7% alc/vol. DBH was hopped with 5 different West Coast hops: Chinook, Columbus, Simcoe, Centennial and Cascade. Additionally, DBH was twice dry hopped with different combinations of these hops. The net result is an amazing aroma of ripe juicy fruit mixed in with a bouquet of spring flowers. DBH was brewed to a level of bitterness of 108 IBU’s, and leaves a lingering bitterness; it is, after all, a double IPA!"

So, it's a home brew they make commercially now. Poured a light orange-yellow with a modest head with a multi-scented nose of citrus and pine and tastes of the same with a bit of caramel sweetness. Not well balanced at 108 IBUs and "only" 7% ABV. So, it's a DIPA by IBUs criteria but not quite by ABV standards. Probably shouldn't have had this second as the taste buds were altered for the rest of the evening.

I think AW brought a bomber of this to a tailgate last year or in 2012.
From last PM:

From last PM:

Death By Hops-Olde Hickory Brewing

Well, almost 8-| .

My, how tastes change. This $2 twelve ounce bottle is really a hop monster/hopzilla/hopageddon/hop bomb. I think all the "C" hops are for pine, resin and bitterness and the Simcoe gave this (barely) a hint of grapefruitiness. One could pair this with any spicy/hot entree quite nicely and see if your palate would survive. I'll continue my search for fruited/fruity IPAs/DIPAs with lots of experimental/hybrid/new/Southern Hemisphere varieties.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 23rd, 2018, 8:40 pm

Dragons and YumYums-Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

Strange brew, but intriguing and rather good.

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a standard pint glass. Looks like a light-colored cherry/berry soda. Modest, foamy head. Mrs. dd thought pineapple on the nose and, after I finished chuckling and got the evil stare, she was correct . It was fairly subtle. I'd have never guessed any of the additives (dragon fruit, yumberries, pear juice, passion fruit and black carrot juice ). More evidence of (almost) anything goes in brewing a DFH ale. I thought the flavors were berry-like at first with hints of tropical fruits with a very mild resin finish. Pretty mild for a pale ale with IBUs of 25 with ABV a bit high for the style at 6.5%. I'll have some pork tenderloin with a plum-apple compote, some mashed sweet potatoes and green bean almondine with this if given a choice. I've got several more of these for sharing/trading and will certainly keep 1 or 2 for myself.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 24th, 2018, 10:07 pm

High West Barrel Aged Victory at Sea (2017)-Ballast Point (cough, Constellation, cough) Brewing

(No, not August West 8-| )

This beer's name is too long .

Highly recommended several months ago by our older son-in-law's father and seen for the first time last week so I bought a $16 four pack of 12 ounce bottles. Nice drop.

It's an imperial porter that has the appearance of an imperial stout, meaning it was a fairly viscous, almost black pour with a generous, medium khaki head. Nose of coffee (added), dark chocolate and booze (aged in bourbon and rye whiskey oak casks). Smooth, almost oily mouthfeel with espresso, semi-sweet chocolate, vanilla (added; also likely intensified by the bourbon/rye/oak whiskey barrel "storage"), burnt caramel and toasted almond flavors. Mildly bitter, likely from both the heavily roasted grains and a modest hop bill, with IBUs at 35. Seductive and dangerous with the ABV at 12%. Sipped from a snifter last PM over an hour and slightly chilled before decanting. Highly recommended.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 24th, 2018, 10:30 pm

Expendable Income (draft)-Bond Brothers Beer Company

Heard of this one, fuse?

Six ounce pour ($2.50) after making my selection of NC singles for the next week or so.

It's a blond barleywine () brewed in collaboration with C.A.R.B.O.Y. homebrew club.

Pour was a clear, gold-yellow with a thin, off-white head. Lots of citrus on the nose along with alcohol. Moderate bitterness appears initially on the palate, but more rind-y than piney/resin-y. Finish is light/medium caramel, honey and orange zest with a lingering alcohol burn. IBUs at 90 but not a hop monster as it's reasonably balanced with the ABV at 12.5%. Took me almost 30 minutes to finish this chatting with the owner. Much better than my barleywine-adverse palate would have expected. I'd taste again but think I'd enjoy the Cherry or Cinnamon Vanilla Variant Imperial Stouts better.