Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by devildeac » March 23rd, 2018, 11:21 am

From 11/28/17:
devildeac wrote:Framboise-Brouwerij Lindemans

A world classic lambic ale.

Poured from a ($14-paid for by our dinner hosts #:-s ) 12 ounce bottle as an aperitif on Saturday evening after the wedding and reception and at a private dinner that evening. Appearance was dark ruby with a pink, foamy head. Amazing raspberry nose with tart/sour raspberry jam flavors following, along with a hint of sour, some funk, a drizzle of caramel and a lot more syrupy sweetness. My WAG for IBUs would be 20 and the ABV, which I would have guessed at 5% is listed on the Lindemans' website as an astoundingly low 2.5%. I could drink 12 of these ! Could accompany a fruit plate before dinner or a slice of plain cheesecake afterwards. The New Glarus Raspberry Tart would give this some serious competition but this is a world class ale.
From last PM:

Framboise-Brouwerij Lindemans

Our younger daughter gave her husband a 750 ml bottle ($10) of this for his birthday last month and he was kind enough to dispense about 250 ml for each of us last PM with Mrs. dd stealing a few sips from my portion. I can't stress enough-this is a world class lambic/ale and worth a bottle every couple years or so.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 24th, 2018, 6:20 pm

Red Eye IPA-Two Brothers Artisan Brewing

Drink local!

Bought a 6er of this to share and leave with the family here. Divided two 12 ounce cans among 3 of us (Mrs. dd will always steal a couple sips of any New Glarus fruit ale but won't allow an IPA near her lips. Pour was not red () but a golden-yellow with a small head. Nose and tastes not that pungent but included a bit of pine and grapefruit with more prominent coffee (added) overtones. Mild bitterness with IBUs of 50 and pretty standard ABV at 6.7%. We sipped this as we "warmed" up before the tip-off last PM. Solid offering and we'll likely have another can or two this evening with dinner.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 24th, 2018, 6:31 pm

This:

https://www.bellsbeer.com/beer/speci...s-cherry-stout

Aged in whiskey barrels for a year.

Oh, my!

A 4 pack set me back about $24 () and 3 of us split a couple 12 ounce bottles during the second half last PM. Money well spent .

Pour was a ruby-black with a modest head. Nothing surprising on the aroma front with dark chocolate, cherries (added) and whiskey. Tastes? Also as expected with perhaps a bit of coffee and other dark fruits. Bell's doesn't quote IBUs but I'll guess 50 and the ABV is a stunning 9.3%, way above the 7% from the regular product. Line up a brownie or slice of Oreo cheesecake for me with this one. Highly recommended.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 24th, 2018, 7:17 pm

Chicago Common (pint draft-shared)-Kinslahger Brewing

More local!

Interesting brew. A rye lager. Appearance was light amber with a small head. Some light caramel, flowers and must up front, followed by toasted rye bread, herbal and earthy hops and light brown sugar. Minimal bitterness, guessing IBUs about 20 and the ABV was bit high for a lager at 6.7%. Nice pairing at The Radler with a Thuringer brat, (pork, beef, caraway, marjoram) braised cabbage, apples, sweet mustard.

Ein Prosit!
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 24th, 2018, 7:22 pm

Dynamo (pint draft-shared)-Metropolitan Brewing

More local!

A copper lager. Our younger son-in-law and I shared 2 pints with lunch, the Chicago Common and this. He thought it tasted like Red Oak. I thought it had a bit more body and flavor. Very light amber in color with faint aromas of flowers and lightly toasted grains. Tastes of malted cereal, a bit of earthy and floral hops and light brown sugar. I'll guess IBUs about 20 for this one, too. ABV in line with the style at 5.8%. Another good pairing with the German-themed sandwiches.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 24th, 2018, 9:09 pm

From 11/18/16:
devildeac wrote:PC Pils-Founders Brewing

American hopped pilsner. A leftover from my October beer club 4 pack. This is not yo mama's pilsner.

Pleasantly crisp.

Perfectly clean.

Profoundly crushable.

Pretty cool.

I didn't make up those PCs-they're on the 12 ounce can I drank tonight .

No noble/Euro hops in this one as they took traditional American hops, Chinook, Cascade and Centennial and blended them together to the tune of 45 IBUs (WTH? You can't be serious?!?! In a pilsner?!?!) and (suspected) carapils, two-row and lighter malts/grains to an ABV of 5.5%. Pour was sunshine with a modest head. There's a little piney nose with a bit of grapefruit in the nose with some light brown sugar and citrus on the tongue with a mild hoppy bite at the finish. This would be tasty with some chicken or shrimp kabobs and some 3 bean salad.

If you don't like/drink pilsners for lack of flavor/body, pour a can of this. It might change your mind.
From tonight:

PC Pils-Founders Brewing

Happy to have found a 12 ounce bottle of this in younger daughter's fridge tonight so 3 of us shared it with some roasted chicken and vegetables. Very nice pairing. Just enough bitterness to complement the balsamic vinegar and spices on the bird and veggies.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 25th, 2018, 9:07 pm

Black Top-New Glarus Brewing

Shared a 12 ounce bottle 3 ways last PM. Wouldn't have enjoyed it tonight .

The label states first gold medal ever at the GABF in the black IPA category (no year stated). Well deserved.

Pour was a dark brown with a modest head. Some grapefruit and resin on the nose. Tasted like a milk chocolate-covered grapefruit jellied candy. With a cup of coffee. No IBUs declared so I'll guess about 50. No ABV info either so I'll venture 6-7%. This would be delicious with beef or pork grilled fare.

Some should make its way to NC in early April.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 25th, 2018, 9:14 pm

Coffee Stout-New Glarus Brewing

Nothing spectacular here. Just another very, very good beer, matching the style and expectations completely. Again, enjoyed last PM because I doubt I'd have enjoyed it tonight .

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle and shared 3 ways. Almost black in color with a small tan head. Mouthfeel was a bit thin but it's a regular stout, not an imperial stout. Lost of toasted pumpernickel bread, some dark chocolate and a moderate amount of coffee on the tastebuds. I'll guess IBUs about 40 here and ABV about 6%. Delightful with 2 Ghirardelli chocolate squares, one dark chocolate mint and the other 60% cacao/dark chocolate.

There should be several of these delivered to NC with a few other "staples."
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 25th, 2018, 9:51 pm

Pulaski Pils (draft)-Maplewood Brewery and Distillery

Pint draft at O'Donovan's Pub and Restaurant in the Irving Park area north of Chicago during game time.

Pour was a yellow-straw with a modest head. Floral nose and light caramel, flowery and mildly spicy tastes. IBUs of 25, ABV was 5.1%. Grains were Pilsner and Vienna malts. Hops were Warrior and Santiam.

Celebrating Chicago and Casimir Pulaski but not celebrating any basketball :( X( .
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 25th, 2018, 10:36 pm

Gumballhead (draft)-Three Floyds Brewing

Actually shared this pint with younger son-in-law along with my pint of Pulaski Pils.

Mildly cloudy appearance with an amber-orange hue. Modest head, nose of grapefruit and tastes of Tropicana grapefruit-orange juice. It's a wheat beer brewed with Amarillo hops. IBUs of 35 and ABV at 5.6%. No food pairing/s, just some chips and salsa. Apparently no good basketball pairing/s either .
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 26th, 2018, 10:49 am

Beezer (draft)-Old Irving Brewing Company

Drink local!

Beer #1 of a three beer sampler (5 ounces each and some shared sips with daughter and younger son-in-law) with lunch yesterday. Wouldn't have tasted so good with dinner .

It's a New England IPA, also known as "hazy juice." Pour was a cloudy/hazy () yellow with a small head. Strong citrus aromas and just as potent tastes of grapefruit, pineapple, orange and papaya. Amazing what flavors hops can impart to a beer. IBUs are 34 making minimally bitter. ABV at 6.5% which is pretty standard for an IPA. Paired nicely with a chicken-fried chicken breast on a whole grain waffle with a creamy sauce, a fried egg on top and a generous side of small, roasted potatoes.

Grains: Maris Otter, Red Wh*at and Golden Naked Oats
Hops: Citra and Mosaic
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 26th, 2018, 10:58 am

Scentinel (draft)-Old Irving Brewing Company

More indigenous imbibing!

Beer #2 from the sampler.

More of a typical IPA with an orange-yellow color and fairly clear. A bit less grapefruit aromas and tastes but a bit more prominent orange and mango flavors (not added). IBUs here were 58 and the ABV was 7%, both consistent with the style. Good food pairing, too. Doubt this would have been as tasty with dinner .

Grains: Marris Otter and Caramel Vienna
Hops: Centennial, Citra and Mosaic
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 26th, 2018, 12:01 pm

Rat Pack (draft)-Old Irving Brewing Company

More local sipping!

Beer #3 from the sampler was a dubbel so it was medium brown in color with a thin head. Tantalizing nose of dark, dried fruits, followed by tastes of the same along with orange peel (added), cherries (added) and some wood/oak/bourbon from aging on bourbon-soaked oak chips. Pretty much an Old Fashioned cocktail in a cute 5 ounce tulip glass. IBUs of 20 and ABV was 7%. Nice finishing/dessert ale after our lunch. Without a doubt, I'd order a pint of this for the $6 asking price if we visit again and it's still "in the rotation" in June or September when we return to Chicago. Excellent beer/fine representation of the style.

Grains: Belgian Pilsner, Wh*at, Caramel, Munich
Hops: East Kent Goldings, Hallertauer Mittelfrüh
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 26th, 2018, 11:21 pm

Raspberry White-Southern Tier Brewing Company

Grocery store beer! Bought a 6er tonight at Harris Teeter because it was $2 off at $8.99 for the litter and I was pretty much out of "session" beers .

Pour was cloudy and light pink with a small head. Nose of raspberries (oh, really, dd? ) with tastes of raspberry lemon-orangeade. Minimal bitterness, guessing
IBUs of about 20 (did not research) with the ABV at 4.6% (yes, STBC does make beers under 9% ABV ). Nice pairing with a Caesar salad but would be better with a fruit plate/salad on a warm spring or summer afternoon.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 29th, 2018, 11:10 pm

From 9/22/15:
devildeac wrote:
devildeac wrote:Lagunitas Sucks Holiday Ale-Lagunitas Brewing

The story behind the brew:

This sad holiday season we didn’t have the brewing capacity to make our favorite seasonal brew, the widely feared BrownShugga’ Ale. You see we had a couple of really good years (thank you very much) and so heading into this season while we are awaiting the January delivery of a new brewhouse we are jammin’ along brewing 80 barrels of IPA and PILS and such every 3 hours. A couple of months back we realized that since we can only brew a mere 60 barrels of Shugga’ every 5 hours, that we were seriously screwed. For every case of Shugga’ brewed, we’d short 3 cases of our favorite daily beers. It’s a drag. This year, we brewed something that we think is also cool and brews more like our daily brews. The new brewhouse will help insure this kind of failure never happens again. It’s a mess that we can not brew our BrownShugga’ this year and we suck for not doing it. There is nothing cool about screwing this up this badly and we know it. Maybe we can sue our own sorry selves. There is no joy in our hearts this holiday and the best we can hope for is a quick and merciful end. F*@& us. This totally blows. Whatever. We freaking munch moldy donkey butt and we just want it to be all over...
So this substitute beer is a ‘Cereal Medley’ of Barley, Rye, Wheat, and Oats…. Full of complexishness from the 4 grains, and weighing in at 7.85% abv, Then joyously dry-hopped for that big aroma and resinous hop flavor.

The brew:

Interesting take/variation of a winter IPA. The rye gives this a bit of mustiness, the wheat imparts a bit of orange taste and aroma and the oats lend their usual silkiness/smoothness to the mouth feel here. I tasted Ozzie's draft at Tyler's Taproom in Derm before the UNCG game and the aroma and tastes are mostly grapefruity but they are well balanced by the large amounts of grains that give this the IBU of 63 and the ABV of 7.85%. Not quite IIPA levels but in the range for you typical IPA. Generous, foamy head and the flavors paired well with my Buffalo chicken sammich though Oz did not like the brew quite as much as I did and he had a Newcastle as his second brew. My 10% ABV Brooklyn Companion was all I could handle.

The old, from 12/23/11:

Lagunitas Sucks Holiday Ale-Lagunitas Brewing

The story behind the brew:

This sad holiday season we didn’t have the brewing capacity to make our favorite seasonal brew, the widely feared BrownShugga’ Ale. You see we had a couple of really good years (thank you very much) and so heading into this season while we are awaiting the January delivery of a new brewhouse we are jammin’ along brewing 80 barrels of IPA and PILS and such every 3 hours. A couple of months back we realized that since we can only brew a mere 60 barrels of Shugga’ every 5 hours, that we were seriously screwed. For every case of Shugga’ brewed, we’d short 3 cases of our favorite daily beers. It’s a drag. This year, we brewed something that we think is also cool and brews more like our daily brews. The new brewhouse will help insure this kind of failure never happens again. It’s a mess that we can not brew our BrownShugga’ this year and we suck for not doing it. There is nothing cool about screwing this up this badly and we know it. Maybe we can sue our own sorry selves. There is no joy in our hearts this holiday and the best we can hope for is a quick and merciful end. F*@& us. This totally blows. Whatever. We freaking munch moldy donkey butt and we just want it to be all over...
So this substitute beer is a ‘Cereal Medley’ of Barley, Rye, Wheat, and Oats…. Full of complexishness from the 4 grains, and weighing in at 7.85% abv, Then joyously dry-hopped for that big aroma and resinous hop flavor.

The brew:

Interesting take/variation of a winter IPA. The rye gives this a bit of mustiness, the wheat imparts a bit of orange taste and aroma and the oats lend their usual silkiness/smoothness to the mouth feel here. I tasted Ozzie's draft at Tyler's Taproom in Derm before the UNCG game and the aroma and tastes are mostly grapefruity but they are well balanced by the large amounts of grains that give this the IBU of 63 and the ABV of 7.85%. Not quite IIPA levels but in the range for you typical IPA. Generous, foamy head and the flavors paired well with my Buffalo chicken sammich though Oz did not like the brew quite as much as I did and he had a Newcastle as his second brew. My 10% ABV Brooklyn Companion was all I could handle.

The new, from 9/20/15 and 9/21/15:

A 12 ounce trader from CB&B on Saturday that I couldn't resist trying again and comparing to Serum. Easy winner was Sucks (that just doesn't sound right). I thought this one was a bit different with little rye mustiness but the others scents and palate ticklers were about the same, perhaps with a bit more grapefruit juciness stimulating both senses. IBUs are actually 63.21 (yes, that's really on the label) and this one tasted more like an IIPA but the stats are still kinda, sorta in that IPA/IIPA border zone. Certainly one of my top 5-10 of the style, no matter which side of the IBU/ABV/IPA/IIPA boundary it falls.
From tonight:

Lagunitas Sucks-Lagunitas (cough, heineken, cough) Brewing Company

I was desperate so I bought 5 Lagunitas and a Sierra Nevada tonight at Harris Teeter (mixed 6er for $10.99-not bad for 6 high gravity brews) on a grocery run to tide me over until the New Glarus deliver rolls in from Chicago on Monday night .

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a standard pint glass. Color was pale straw-yellow with a creamy, off-white head. Juicy grapefruit aromas and similar tastes along with some rind, orange, mango and stone fruits. Almost sweet. IBUs as above with the ABV at 8% so kinda sorta an IIPA. Fine by itself but would be pleasant with some curry or a spicy/hot Szechuan entree.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 30th, 2018, 8:51 pm

Centennial WJ (draft)-Boondocks Brewing

Drink local! (NC mountains)

First of a 5 beer flight (5 ounces each).

Color was gold with a small head. Nose was citrus and tastes were sourdough bread, honey(added), pine and rind. Fraser fir tips were added in the brewing process but I'm not sure whether this or the hops were responsible for the piney tastes. I'll guess IBUs about 50 (mild) and the ABV was 7%. Nice pairing with a side salad and a cheesesteak.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 30th, 2018, 9:00 pm

From 3/22/14:
devildeac wrote:My choice:

Hop Stoopid-Lagunitas Brewing

Old review from 2012 from a bomber:

Tropicana grapefruit juice with caramel flavoring. That's meant to be descriptive, too, not derogatory. This was a bomber I split over a couple nights this weekend that I received as a gift from one of the drug reps that visits my office. I'll replace it at some point for him but it's a grocery store beer (Harris Teeter) and that's not a bad thing either because it was $5 for a 102 IBU hop bomb at 8% ABV. The hops are not overpowering at this level as they are well-balanced with caramel malts and lots of them. The high gravity falls a bit short of the standard IIPA but this is a good quality product. The pour was an slightly hazy, orange-yellow with a 2 fingered foamy head. Some piney notes are present in the hop profile, too. This would be a fine ale to have with Indian or moderately hot Chinese food and would be fine with BBQ fare, too. I have not been an ardent Lagunitas fan but sampling several of their ales this fall and winter have swayed my opinion.

New review from the draft product:

A bit more tropical fruit blend with the presence of pineapple, mango and papaya perhaps all making a bid to be heard/tasted here. Some tastes of honey to smooth out the blending/balancing of this highly hopped brew with a moderately high ABV, same stats as above. Draft stuff always tastes fresher, too. A reasonable comparison with the RyePA as they are close in IBUs and even closer in ABV. I'm gonna call this one a draw as I liked both offerings and would happily purchase/taste either again. If you like a little different flavor to your standard IPA, choose the NB brew and, if you like a bit more hop bite, select the Lagunitas ale.
From last PM:

Hop Stoopid-Lagunitas (cough, Heineken, cough) Brewing

Single 12 ounce bottle as part of my $10.99 grocery store mixed 6er. $1.83 for a IIPA at 8% ABV and 102 IBUs? Yes, please.

A bit more bronze in color than the prior Lagunitas IPA reviewed above with a bit less citrus and more hop bitterness but still pretty quaffable. I think I've seen bombers of this for about $6 so I did even better and didn't have to share/cork/sip in one sitting .
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 30th, 2018, 9:11 pm

Crumpler Crippler (draft)-Boondocks Brewing

More indigenous imbibing!

2X IPA.

Pour was orange-bronze with a small head. Juicy grapefruity scents with pine, resin, grapefruit tastes with a bit of pith. Citra hops (exclusive?) are featured. I'll guess IBUs at 70-80 and the ABV was 8.5%. Another good pairing with a side salad and a cheesesteak. A few grilled hot peppers would have spice up the sammich a bit and matched nicely.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 30th, 2018, 9:17 pm

Truth Serum (draft)-Boondocks Brewing

Third 5 ounce beer in the flight.

Yes, more local.

Orange-copper color with a thin head. Orange, sugar syrup and white pepper nose with orange liqueur, Belgian candi sugar (added) and peppery tastes from the Belgian yeast. A bit sweet, fairly typical for the style, especially with the ABV at 10% (a bit high) and IBUs guesstimated at 20. Sipped after the meal as a dessert beer. Might be good with a creme brulee (but not Southern Tier's Creme Brulee ).
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 30th, 2018, 9:24 pm

JMB Stout (draft)-Boondocks Brewing

Yes! Another local!

"Named after our founder's father, James Martin Brown, who passed away suddenly and unexpectedly the day that the first batch of this rich Chocolate Stout was brewed."

Five ounce pour was dark brown with a thin, tan head. Nose of dark chocolate and coffee (neither added) with mouthfeel a bit thin and palate ticklers of dark chocolate, coffee, heavily roasted grains, dark caramel and a slight alcohol burn, not surprising with its ABV of 10%. I'll guess IBUs about 40. Sipped slowly as a dessert beer but I'd have happily nibbled on some oreo or turtle cheesecake with this, too.