Ymm, Beer!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by devildeac » March 7th, 2018, 10:00 pm

Yeti-Great Divide Brewing Company

Fourth and final 12 ounce product from my February beer club 4 pack.

Pour was almost viscous and nearly black in color with a thick, beige head. Nose with prominent dark chocolate and coffee aromas. Tastes were baker's cocoa, dark and milk chocolate, toasted pumpernickel bread, dark caramel and a splash of espresso. I'd put this somewhere between the semi-sweet chocolate flavor of Brooklyn Black Chocolate (imperial) Stout and the coffee-ish tastes of Victory Storm King imperial stout. IBUs of 75, a bit high for the style, and ABV 9.5%, so one for sipping at cellar temperature for 30-45 minutes. Dessert in a glass or enjoy with a slice of oreo cheesecake or Black Forest cake.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 10th, 2018, 9:31 pm

Hay Zay (draft)-Salty Turtle Beer Company

Drink local!

Down at the NC coast this weekend and got tired of my personal supply and didn't feel like driving to Wilmington so I drank nearby.

New England IPA-this style is really growing on me.

Four ounce pour was a hazy (Haz Zay) yellow with a small head. Aromas and tastes of tropical fruit juice (pineapple and grapefruit). IBUs of 48 and 6.2% ABc, ABV. Nice pairing with platter of fried sea creatures I shared with Mrs. dd.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 10th, 2018, 9:38 pm

Alligator Bay (draft)-Salty Turtle Beer Company

More local!

West Coast IPA

Slightly hazy, yellow pour with a small head. Mild pine scents with similar tastes and a bit of resin. Pretty mild as WC IPAs go with IBUs of 68 and ABV of 7.3%. Nice pairing with the aforementioned seafood platter. My least favorite of my 6 samples but still a good brew.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 10th, 2018, 9:48 pm

Belgian Dubbel (draft)-Salty Turtle Beer Company

A dubeel. What'd ya think it would be ?

Probably my favorite beer of the sampler. Pour was a dark brown with a small, creamy tan head. All the expected nose and palate ticklers, including dark dried fruits, some brown sugar and a bit of rum. IBUs of 21-pretty smooooooth. ABV of 7%, standard for the style. Ok pairing with our shared seafood platter. Would be great with ribs or a pulled pork or brisket sammich. I'd be happy to share a pint of this with a friend or family member sometime.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 11th, 2018, 12:50 pm

Swingbridge Breakfast Stout (draft)-Salty Turtle Beer Company

Dessert time.

Dark, dark brown pour with a small mocha head. Tantalizing coffee nose (added) and heavily roasted grains. Pretty smooth mouthfeel with the cold press coffee over-powering the added vanilla. I'm not sure I'd have perceived that unless it was on their chalkboard. IBUs at 26 and ABV was 6.9%. Founders Breakfast Stout is clearly better but also an imperial stout. This was a pleasant finish to dinner along with the next brew.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 11th, 2018, 12:55 pm

Love Potion Porter (draft)-Salty Turtle Beer Company

More local!

This was a bit lighter brown than the stout as expected. Mouthfeel a bit thinner, also as anticipated. Heavily roasted grains along with semi-sweet chocolate (added) which masked the raspberries that were listed on the chalk board. Another flavor I'm not sure I'd have named if it wasn't noted. IBUs of 32 and ABV at 6%. Quite the pleasant closer.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 13th, 2018, 8:06 pm

Berliner Weisse (draft)-Starr Hill Brewing

Two ounce sample whilst sipping a high gravity Haw River ale. Hey, the brewery rep offered it and there were 2 cups left on her tray .

Light yellow color, no head. Tart, lemony nose with mildly sour/puckery tastes of lemon-lime. I'll guess 10 IBUs and less than 5% ABV. No data available on line. It'd be a nice sipper on a warm summer day with some fresh fruits.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 13th, 2018, 8:27 pm

From 6/21/17:
devildeac wrote:Dry-Hopped Barleywine Style Ale-Sierra Nevada Brewing and Avery Brewing

Bigfoot meets Hog Heaven!

As they explain on the Beer Camp website, it's not actually a collaboration but a blending of the usual Bigfoot recipe with the standard Hog Heaven brew and also dry-hopping the concoction, followed by bottle conditioning. The result? Big Hog. Or would that be Hog Foot?

Pour was a slightly cloudy, dark amber with a generous, foamy head. Aromas of leather, tobacco and resin. Tastes of the same with some toffee. This remains a fairly bitter beer (yea, I'm looking at you, Bigfoot), but the balance is reasonable with IBUs of 90 and the ABV at 9.4%. This is a sip over an hour from a snifter almost time for bed ale. Still doesn't convince me to like barleywines but a quality offering. Ingredients below:

Yeast: Ale
Bittering Hops: Zeus and Chinook
Finishing Hops: Zeus, Cascade, Centennial and Chinook
Malts: Two-row Pale and Caramel
From tonight:

Sierra Nevada Beer Camp Barleywine (draft)-Sierra Nevada and Avery Brewing Companies

Guessing this 2 ounce taster is still a blending of Bigfoot and Hog Heaven. No details on the electronic chalkboard and didn't feel like asking the server. All the above pretty much still applies to the draft version, which I had hoped to be a bit smoother/more refined. Not much of a fan. If you like American style barleywines (hops>malts), then you might enjoy this with some brisket or ribs.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 14th, 2018, 10:33 pm

Snow Hands (draft)-Haw River Farmhouse Ales

A winter answer, a Belgian-style strong/dark/quad ale, to their summer Sun Hands, a Belgian-style tripel.

Pour was a dark brown with a copious, foamy, mocha head that had to be tilted-off several times so the full half pint ($4) serving could be realized. Nose of dark dried fruits and spice. Tastes of liquid raisins, dates and figs with a moderately sweet, yet spicy and rummy finish. Label states maple syrup and foraged spicebush berries are added. I didn't get the maple but did perceive the expected dark candi sugar given the style. The spiciness (nutmeg, allspice, clove) surprised me a bit as I was expecting the "berries" to be sweet but found this instead with a bit of research: https://www.backyardforager.com/spic...ndera-benzoin/ with the following quote:

"I’ve heard people describe it as tasting like a mix of allspice and pepper, but to me, the flavor defies description. It’s spicy, complex, dark, has a little heat, and there’s something floral in there, too."

I'll guess 20 IBUs based on the style with the ABV at 10%, about as expected. This would make an interesting liquid dessert or a companion with a caramel/mild chocolate baked goody. Might also make a fine pairing with a pork roast, ribs or a beef brisket.

I liked my last Haw River beverage better (Torn Paper Leaves), but the 500 ml bottle of this would make a nice drop at the advertised price of $7.49 or $7.99.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 15th, 2018, 10:19 pm

From 6/15/16:
devildeac wrote:Solstice-Pisgah Brewing Company

Pisgah (Black Mountain, NC) might be one of the better breweries not many folks know about. Thanks to mattman for this trader! This is the ale fka Tripel. Poured a hazy, orange-yellow with lots of fluffy, Belgian lacing and aromas of bananas, orange and spice and tastes of the same with some clove, light brown sugar and a few grains of black pepper. It's a bit on the sweet side with ABV of 9.5% and I'll estimated IBUs of 20 from small amounts of Euro hops, perhaps from the Saaz, Hallertau, Perle and Tettnanger varieties. Pair with fruity seafood dishes.

Here's a review of Tripel from 3/28/15:

Tripel-Pisgah Brewing Company

Another tip of the pint glass to ricks68 for procuring this as he celebrates in Houston today. This was a capped 750 ml bottle divided over 2 nights earlier this week. Pour was a cloudy straw-yellow color with a frothy, Belgian lace head that had to dissipate a few minutes before I could enjoy. Nose of flowers, light brown sugar and a bit of spice. Tastes were as expected for the style with underripe banana, a bit of clove, a hint of orange and a grain or two of black pepper, once again, all that I'd expect from the name and style. The orange flavor I think comes from some wheat malt and the peppery-ness from the Belgian yeast. Frighteningly pleasant on the palate with estimated IBUs of 10-20 and dangerously drinkable at 9% ABV. I'd like to have a tasting of this with Golden Monkey, Allagash Tripel/Triple and any other US produced Belgian golden ales. I think this would rank favorably.
From tonight:

Solstice (draft)-Pisgah Brewing Company

Always happy to try a draft of a beer I remember well and tonight was no exception.

Pint pour was similar color, aromas and tastes to the bottled variety reviewed above and I wouldn't hesitate to order again, either by the bomber (2 nights, please) or by the glass. Worth seeking out if you're in the Asheville area.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 17th, 2018, 11:39 pm

From 5/17/16:
devildeac wrote:From 6/11/15:

Old Stock Ale 2015-North Coast Brewing

I think this was about $12 for the 4 pack last month with my $1.50 off each 4 or 6 pack from Total Wine last month. It's an old ale or might also be described as an English-style barleywine. Poured a dark amber with a luscious nose of dark, dried fruits, toffee and a wee bit of dark rum. Taste were moderately rummy with the expected raisins, dates, figs and toffee which matched nicely with some herbal, woody hops. Grain bill included traditional English Maris Otter malt along with some Fuggles and East Kent Goldings hops, also from England (not Finland). IBUs roll in at 34 and ABV is a hefty 11.9%, so I split this 12 ounce bottle with our son after we had our Berliner Weisse. Excellent night cap. I've got 3 left so there'll be a trader and two for cellaring over the next couple years. Now, if there was only some way I could bourbon barrel age one of those bottles...

From last PM:

I couldn't wait the full year .

I don't think there was much difference, even after aging another 11 months. Perhaps it was a bit smoother with some more caramel/syrupy presence but this is a very drinkable ale even without cellaring.
From last PM:

Old Stock Ale (2014)-North Coast Brewing Company

Still smooth after 4 years of aging. I don't think there's much difference from 2015 version reviewed above. Well worth about a $12 drop for the 4 pack anytime you see it. Sadly, I didn't buy the 2016 or 2017 issues but still have 2 of the 2015 bottles that might make it to a tailgate this fall. The BBA iteration of this remains one of my favorite ales ever.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 18th, 2018, 2:11 pm

The Good, the Bad and the Hoppy (draft)-Lonerider Brewing Company

Their motto: Ales for Outlaws

From their Beers of Ill Repute offerings.

Labeled an India Pale Lager, this 8 ounce pour with a small head was light amber with a distinctly hoppy nose. Tastes were mildly herbal and earthy hops with hints of pine and resin. IBUs listed at 59 with the ABV at 6.3%. Excellent pairing with a bleu cheese-basted corned beef brisket sandwich on grilled rye bread and topped with a mild horseradish thousand island dressing, kraut and swiss cheese.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 18th, 2018, 2:15 pm

IPA Chamber #1 (draft)-Lonerider Brewing Company

From their Revolver Series (remember, cowboys, not The Beatles )

This half pint pour was a yellow-gold with a small head. Scents of tropical fruits with tastes to match along with some stone fruitiness and rind/zest. IBUs of 66 and ABV was 6.6% and it made another very good match with the above post/beer/sammich.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 18th, 2018, 10:47 pm

Spicy Vienna Lager Calamity Jane (draft)-Lonerider Brewing Company

Actually, this was the first half pint pour before any comestibles.

Pour was a slightly cloudy pale yellow with a modest head. Herbal nose and very mild sweet, floral tastes, finishing with a bit of spice (don't ask me which one/s ). Lager range IBUs at 21 with ABV a bit outside the lager range at 6.7%. Nice beverage to sip with family conversation and food discussions.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 18th, 2018, 11:05 pm

Final beer from Lonerider yesterday afternoon/evening.

Deadwood, The Beer with No Name (draft)-Lonerider Brewing Company

Don't ask. It was taped to their beer board this way .

I shared a 12 ounce draft with our older daughter after her husband turned her nose up after tasting this.

It was a BBA Russian (no tampering) Imperial Stout on nitro. Yes, please!

Pour was almost black with a small, mocha head. Nose of whiskey and dark chocolate. Mouthfeel was a bit thin but still smooth and oily. There's a lot of booze and semi-sweet chocolate here with hints of espresso and dark, dried fruits. I <think> this would seriously rival the BBA version of Foothills Sexual Chocolate with its IBUs of 54 and ABV of 9.5%. This made a pretty decadent closer/dessert beer and I could have sipped the entire serving but very happy to have shared with our older daughter who I didn't think had a penchant for dark, boozy beers. This would be worth a purchase of a pint can or four or a bomber or three if they packaged it.

Very impressive afternoon/evening at Lonerider with family to dine and try new brews.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 19th, 2018, 11:12 pm

Old Stock Ale (2015)-North Coast Brewing Company

This would have been nice to side-by-side with the 2014 version with an expert panel and/or family contingent but I settled for consecutive nights, given its 11.8% ABV.

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a Founders snifter, it appeared much like the 2014 brewing. Overall, they were pretty comparable with this year's tasting have a bit more brandy/rummy notes and maybe some dark cherry nuances. I didn't look up the IBUs but I'll guess about 30. It was very pleasant as a night cap but I could imagine sipping this with a petite filet, some roasted potatoes and a serving of broccoli au gratin.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 19th, 2018, 11:20 pm

Killer Kölsch-Champion Brewing Company

Drink regional! (Charlottesville)

This was beer #2 from my March Madness beer club 4 pack with the first being Naranjito.

Pour from a 12 ounce can was a light straw with light floral aromas. Tastes were also floral and pretty typically Euro with Vienna and Two-row malts and Hallertau hops and light caramel/bready sweetness. I guess I could be convinced of faint apple and pear flavors, too. IBUs of 22 and ABV 5%. This would be tasty with some grilled seafood/shrimp scampi/herbed chicken. I'd certainly be interested in trying some other Champion brews after sampling this.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 20th, 2018, 10:31 am

From 3/15/17:
devildeac wrote:From 2/25/16:
devildeac wrote:From 7/3/14:

Immort Ale (10/26/11 bottle)-Dogfish Head Brewing

This is comparable to the dear old friend that you haven't seen in years that comes back to visit for a couple nights. Your home is always welcome for as long as they'd like to stay. I believe this is one of the earliest high gravity ales that I ever tasted and I'll almost always buy a 4 pack (or two) when I see it available. Still on my top 10 beer list of all time. Maybe top 5. The closest descriptor would be an old English ale. Poured a dark amber with woody scents along with maple and dark caramel. There are hints of vanilla and dark fruits along with a trace of smoke. Made with Massachusetts maple syrup, English and Belgian yeasts and aged on oak, this is an exquisite sipping ale. IBUs noted at 50 and the ABV is 11%. I divided this 12 ounce bottle over 2 nights. Got 2 left from 2011 and 3 from 2012.

From the last 2 nights:

Well, maybe not top 5 any more or even top 10. There's simply too may great beers to be tasted . But, it's still an excellent sipping old ale and a nice one to taste along with Raleigh Wood, in reduced quantities, of course. There was a bit of fine sediment in the last 5 ml which I didn't completely avoid but it didn't detract from my enjoyment. Still worth a purchase for about $12 for a 4 pack if/when you see it but not convinced aging it this long made it much better, if at all. I have a 2011 and 2012 left, I think, and they may have to wait until the fall.
From last PM:

Immort Ale (2012)-Dogfish Head Brewing

Found it!

Had half a bottle of this from a snifter. Still as tasty and sippable as ever and everything bolded above is still prominent, plus a mild, warming, alcohol burn. I have more more 2012 version left...
From last PM:

Immort Ale (2012)-Dogfish Head Brewing

Last bottle in cellar. I really should buy a 4 pack of this whenever/wherever I see it.

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a Founders snifter (this is sounding familiar ). Color was amber-brown with a small tan head. Seductive scents of oak, maple syrup, dark fruits and brandy. It's barrel-aged but no booze is credited. Tastes of maple syrup (added), dark caramel, vanilla (added), dark/dried fruits, a whiff of peat/smokiness with a mild boozy burn at the end. IBUs of 50 and the hoppiness/bitterness is secondary and more herbal and earthy. ABV is 11% but frighteningly smooth. Dessert? Sure! Pair with a ribeye steak or a filet, a couple scoops of au gratin potatoes with bacon and some steamed haricots verts almondine.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 21st, 2018, 10:03 pm

Kindred Spirits-Innis and Gunn Brewing Company

Drink foreign! (WTH?)

Bottle #3 from my March Madness beer club 4 pack. Another beer/line-up/brewer I've seen but never bought before.

It's an Scottish Stout that has been aged in/on Irish whiskey barrels/staves. Here's the website/bottle description:

"We’ve collaborated for the first time with Tullamore D.E.W., bringing together the very best of Scots and Irish craftsmanship to launch Kindred Spirits.
Together we have brewed a Scottish Stout and then aged it using Tullamore’s D.E.W.'s legendary triple distilled barrels creating a rich flavour packed beer with notes of dark chocolate and coffee alongside delicious hints of vanilla and oak."

What'd I perceive? Here ya go:

Pour was a slightly thin, nearly onyx hue with a small, tan head. Aromas of dark chocolate, burnt toast and a whiff of coffee. Mouthfeel was a bit thin and dry with first tastes of dark chocolate then some charred wood, followed by some smokiness/peat and coffee and finishing with hints of whiskey. I'll guess IBUs about 50 and the ABV is 6.1%. This would pair well with game, brisket or a meat pie. I'd be tempted to try some singles of their other barrel-aged products after tasting this tonight.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 23rd, 2018, 9:40 am

From 3/5/17:
devildeac wrote:Collaboration Without Representation-Deep River Brewing Company and Bottle Revolution

Well, I'm not sure how much input/labor the bottle shop folks had here, hence the name .

I managed to procure half a 4 pack of 16 ounce cans after the Bottle Rev lottery failed to sell their allotment and promised me 4 but only 2 remained when I went to purchase. I was minimally upset as these suckers were almost $7 for the pint cans, including tax. This might be the 3rd or 4th year of their issue.

Enough jibber-jabber and on with the review.

Pour was a somewhat thin, darn near black hue with a wisp of a head. It's an imperial milk stout aged in bourbon barrels on cocoa nibs, so the expected dark, dark chocolate and molasses aromas were received first. Mouthfeel was very silky/smooth and oily, but not thick and viscous. There's a bit of coffee but semi-sweet chocolate and dark caramel dominate the tastes. There's a very warm, boozy/bourbon-y finish as this high gravity concoction hits the scale at 12.8% ABV. IBU not stated but estimated at 50. I think it took me an hour to sip this monster after the Duke-cheaters game last PM. As I've posted a few times before about beers like this, skip the baked items as this is decadent liquid dessert. Although if someone wanted to leave a small plate of chocolate, chocolate chip/chunk cookies on the table one night, I could probably be convinced to nibble on 1 or 2 as I sipped this bad boy.
From Wednesday:

From Wednesday night:

Collaboration Without Representation (2018)-Deep River Brewing Company

Pint can pour into a standard pint glass with a quick sip or two so there was room for every precious drop. Almost black and perhaps a bit thicker this year. Just as much chocolate with a little more coffee in this version and bourbon. A lot of bourbon. I think I sipped this for 90 minutes before declaring victory and stumbling from my reading recliner to our bed about 4 steps away. Tab for this 4 pack: $32.

Three remain. Share? Trade?