Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by devildeac » February 8th, 2018, 8:36 pm

From 5/12/14:
devildeac wrote:Expedition Stout-Bell's Brewery

Not sure how/where/when I acquired this but, when in doubt, give fuse the credit and a hearty thank you. There are two sets of numbers on the bottle. One was on the label on the back of the bottle and was: 9384. The other was on a sticker on the cap and was: 81239. Not sure either of those matches a brewing or "enjoy by" date.

I divided the 12 ounce bottle over two nights as a "chaser" for another lighter weight brew. Pour was onyx with a small, beige head. There were a lot of scents and taste happening here including espresso, unsweetened chocolate, molasses, dark fruits and a trace of licorice. Roasted, mildly bitter flavor with estimated IBUs of 50-60 and the ABV was 10.5%. Always check before you sip. I did see this at one of the specialty shops or Total Wine this winter for about $15-16 for the 6er so it was a bit spendy but this was a trader (I guess) and well worth having one this spring as I'm thinking it has been several years since I sipped this brew. Sadly though, there are none left to age a year or three.
From last PM:

Expedition Stout-Bell's Brewery

Bottle #1 from a 6er bought at Total Wine a couple weeks ago for about $15 after my 10% off coupon . I don't think this has changed much since 2014. Bell's doesn't state their IBUs and the ABV remains 10.5%. Very nice to re-visit after several years and certainly worth a litter to sip now, trade and/or share a couple and then age the leftovers as they clearly state that shelf life of this is indefinite so it'll be very interesting to taste again in a year or two.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 8th, 2018, 9:42 pm

From 12/7/16:
devildeac wrote:Moo Hoo-Terrapin Beer Company

To borrow a phrase from fuse, a "fun beer."

Great label design, interesting name, tasty style, a gift from August West (thanks!) and More Cowbell printed around the top of the 12 ounce can.

It's a chocolate milk stout and and I can (pun intended) almost taste the milk in it . Pour was a bit thin with a small mocha head. Baker's chocolate aromas permeated the nares and flavors of sweet, dark chocolate milk and cocoa tickled the palate along with just a hint of coffee. They claim IBUs at 30 and ABV is 6% (website) or 6.1% (label). This would be an interesting base for a beer float, either with a scoop of vanilla or coffee ice cream. Ingredients:

Malts: 2-Row Pale, Flaked Oat, Crystal 85,Chocolate, DH Carafa III, Roasted Barley

Hops: Nugget, Willamette

Other: Olive & Sinclair Cocoa Nibs, Cocoa Shells, Lactose
From now:

Moo Hoo-Terrapin (miller) Beer (coors) Company

Partial payment from over the weekend as we cared for the grandkiddies. Now available in 12 ounce cans but still no cowbell :p . I don't think much has changed in the recipe. Really does taste like a chocolate-flavored milk stout, or should that be a (dark) chocolate milk that happens to be a stout. If I ever have another one of these, I'd almost insist that it be served with a long-handled spoon, a straw and a scoop or two of vanilla ice cream.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 12th, 2018, 10:40 pm

Nugget Nectar-Troegs Independent Brewing

I think it's been a couple years since I bought a 6er of this imperial amber ale and got this one at Total Wine a couple weeks ago for about $13, IIRC, with a 10% off coupon. Well worth a purchase. A nearby craft beer and wine store has this on draft and I may seek one out tomorrow night.

Pour from a 12 ounce can into a standard pint glass yielded a light amber color with a small, short-lived head. Nose of tropical fruits and a bit of pine and resin. Tastes were toffee, butterscotch, mango, a hint of pine/resin and only mildly bitter, despite the unexpectedly high IBUs of 93ish (on the can). ABV a bit low for "balance" at 7.5% but about as expected for the style. Gimme some ribs, BBQ chicken or brisket with my next can. Five remain and are available for trading, sharing or hoarding.
Ingredients:

Malt: Munich, Pilsner, Vienna
Hops: Nugget, Palisade, Simcoe, Tomahawk, Warrior
HopBack Hops: Nugget
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 13th, 2018, 8:22 pm

Tales from the Kettle-21st Amendment Brewery

A Scotch ale/black tea hybrid.

Poured from a 12 ounce can last PM into a standard pint glass with a modest, light tan head. Dark brown color but not quite as dark as a porter. Slightly smokey/peat-y nose along with some dark caramel. Tasting revealed more dark caramel, smoked meat, milk chocolate, earthy/herbal hops, heavily steeped tea and mild to moderate booziness. IBUs of 24 so minimal bitterness and ABV at a deceiving 9%, a bit high for a typical Scotch ale. This would be delicious with beef brisket, a ribeye or filet or beef stew. I think the 6er was about $11 and reflected my Total Wine 10% off coupon last month. Some stats:

Bittering Hops: Nugget
Flavor Hops: Northern
Brewer Yeast: Burton Ale
Malts: Maris Otter Pale, Crystal 70L, Special B, Chocolate, Smoked Malt, Peated Malt, Victory
Special Ingredients: Black Tea
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 13th, 2018, 10:47 pm

Double Dribbrüe-Brüeprint Brewing Company

I'm not sure if this belongs in this thread or on the EK Forum in one of the hoops threads .

I think I reviewed a tasting of this a few months ago and promised I'd buy/try if I saw it packaged.

This is that purchase, a 4 pack of pint cans for about $12 at Total Wine last month with my 10% off coupon.

Hazy juice!

Poured into a standard pint glass (with a couple sips "off the top" so it would fit ). Hazy, yellow-straw color with a modest, foamy head. Smells like Tropicana grapefruit juice and tastes like it, too, along with some rind/zest, a splash of pineapple and mango and kissed with a drop or two of honey. Pretty well balanced for a DIPA with IBUs at 70 and the ABV at 10.2%. Very enjoyable as a stand alone brew but I could see a pairing with some spicy fare.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 17th, 2018, 8:28 am

Bourbon Barrel Aged Honey Ginger (brewed on December 8, 2017)-Ardent Craft Ales

World class beer. (Can I stop my review there? )

Delivery source: accfanfrom1970 (Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!)

Normally, I'd cellar a beer like this for 6-12 months or more given its characteristics and expectations, but somehow, this one beckoned me on Tuesday and Wednesday nights when I divided this 750 ml capped bottle.

Poured into Gouden Carolus and Allagash tulips, the color was gold with a modest fizzy and foamy head. As anticipated, aromas were ginger, honey/light brown sugar and bourbon. Tasted like a classic bourbon and ginger ale cocktail with a tad more sweetness from the honey-ish finish. Amazingly smooth at only 18 IBUs with the ginger providing a bit of a warming bite. ABV was a dangerous 11.5% as it was seductively smooth and easy sipping and could have been consumed in one sitting. Or shared (hint to accfanfrom1970: we'd gladly welcome one or more of these to a tailgate this fall if you and your wife are able to attend again-yes, I'm shameless). Cost? I got this and two Hardywood GBS variants for $25, almost unheard of pricing for beers of this quality.

Thank you again!
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 18th, 2018, 8:18 pm

Blind Faith-Magic Hat Brewing Company

One of a 12 pack (3 beers each of 4 different flavors) brought by a brother-in-law for a 60th birthday party for one of Mrs. dd's sisters. He's welcomed back any time. Kinda makes up for his 6er of Shock Top last fall (he has a kind and gentle spirit).

It's an English-style IPA with a copper color and a modest head. Very earthy and herbal aromas and tastes to match with a malty>hoppy body, pretty standard for the style. IBUs of 50 and ABV of 6.2% so it was pretty well balanced. I had this after dinner but it would have been a nice pairing with marinated/rubbed pork tenderloin and BBQ chicken breasts off the grill. Think my second bottle will be later this week with some BBQ rib leftovers from last PM.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 19th, 2018, 10:12 pm

Single Chair-Magic Hat Brewing Company

Another 12 ounce bottle from the mixed 12 pack a brother-in-law brought to the house last PM to accompany grilled/marinated/rubbed pork tenderloin and BBQ chicken breasts. I kept 2 of each and made sure he returned with one of each, even though he wanted the entire 12 pack to stay with me.

Pour was a light, golden-yellow with a thin head into a standard pint glass. It's a golden ale but not the Belgian-style golden ale, though the aromas and soft bite of floral hops and tastes of lightly toasted rolls/biscuits really resemble a European pilsner. There are some faint, light brown sugar characteristics, too. I'd have guessed IBUs about 30-40 but their stat sheet claims 18. ABV a highly sessionable 5%. Would pair nicely with club sandwiches and a mixed green salad.
Bob Green
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by Bob Green » February 20th, 2018, 5:04 pm

Brick & Mortar Brewing Company will be opening up in Suffolk soon:

https://pilotonline.com/business/consum ... c280b.html
From Suffolk’s peanut history to the frequent coal trains to the frozen time on a street clock, Stacknick said, Brick & Mortar’s beer will pay homage: Peanut City Porter, Rollin’ Coal black IPA, 7:01 Espresso Stout.
I'm thinking these beers might be making a Tailgate appearance in 2018.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 20th, 2018, 5:59 pm

Bob Green wrote:Brick & Mortar Brewing Company will be opening up in Suffolk soon:

https://pilotonline.com/business/consum ... c280b.html
From Suffolk’s peanut history to the frequent coal trains to the frozen time on a street clock, Stacknick said, Brick & Mortar’s beer will pay homage: Peanut City Porter, Rollin’ Coal black IPA, 7:01 Espresso Stout.
I'm thinking these beers might be making a Tailgate appearance in 2018.
Only thinking? ;)

I say, hell, yes. I'm up for sipping/tasting and/or trading a few flavors.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 20th, 2018, 10:06 pm

Bel Air Sour (draft)-Brooklyn Brewery

Half pint tonight after work as I picked up my February beer club 4 pack.

Pour was a light straw-yellow with a small head. Nose of lemons and grapefruit and mild to moderate puckery tastes of the same with some citrus zestiness. Lemon Warheads/Sour Patch Kids come to mind with a hint of lemon-line soda sweetness. No IBUs listed so I'll guess about 10 with an ABV of 5.8%. Perhaps a pairing with a bowl of orange, pineapple and grapefruit sections would work.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 20th, 2018, 10:19 pm

The Seven Faces of Pepe Grano (draft)-Haw River Farmhouse Ales

A second half pint after work.

Pour was a slightly hazy, light yellow with a moderate, foamy head. Aromas of underripe apples and pears, followed by tastes of the same, sprinkled with white and black pepper and some straw. Very un-bitter, guessing about 10-20 IBUs (did not research this number) with the ABV at 6.7%. As Tripping William's post prior to the the one I quoted characterized it as a summer beer and it was 73 degrees today, I thought it'd make a nice aperitif before dinner. If paired with food, some boiled shrimp, grilled white fish or soft cheeses would all be appropriate.

Haw River makes really, really good beer. Maybe another nominee for best NC brewery?
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 20th, 2018, 10:44 pm

Torn Paper Leaves (draft)-Haw River Farmhouse Ales

Two ounce sample/taster. Amazing ale.

Starts out as a Belgian-style tripel ale so it was a golden-yellow pour with a small head. Immediate vinous aromas that led into some typical triple tastes of orange, light brown or candi sugar, a bit of pepper and some wood from the white oak aging with an abundance of red grapes. I'm not sure if grapes are added to the brewing, the barrel-aging is accomplished in old cab or zin casks or a combination of the two. I'll guess IBUs of 20 and the ABV on the electronic board was 9.2%. My prior half pints were plenty, I needed to drive home and an 8 ounce serving of this would have been about $4.50. Guess I could have bought the 500 ml bottle for $12 plus tax .
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 21st, 2018, 10:55 pm

Circus Boy-Magic Hat Brewing Company

Last one from the leftovers of 12 pack.

Not a bad hefeweizen but lacking some of the typical/expected aromas and tastes of banana and clove. Nice pour/head/color. IBUs 15 and ABV was 4.5%. Would be fine after lawn mowing, with fruit salad or a turkey and havarti sammich.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 22nd, 2018, 10:14 pm

Polestar Pilsner-Left Hand Brewing Company

Product #1 from February beer club was this 12 ounce can.

Poured a pale straw color with a small, fizzy head. First scents were flowers and Bojangles bizkits, lightly baked. Tasted like a good Euro pilsner, as expected, meaning more bizkit, more flowers and hints of light brown sugar. IBUs a bit higher than expected at 33 with ABV listed at 5.5%. Nicely balanced. A roasted turkey sandwich or a BLT would be tasty with this. What am I doing drinking a pilsner in Febrruary? Heck, it was about 77 degrees this afternoon and is still in the mid 60s as I type this . Beer geek info:

MALT: Pilsner Malt and Pale 2-row
HOPS: Magnum, Mt Hood and Sterling
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 23rd, 2018, 9:00 pm

Well Played-Left Hand Brewing Company

Employee owned. Righteously independent.

A red IPA.

Can #2 from my February beer club 4 pack. Pour was a reddish-amber with a meringue-like, off-white, 2-fingered head. I'm having a bit of trouble with aromas and tastes with this one. Maybe some plums, strawberries, orange zest and pine up front with some oiliness, pineapple and passion fruit in the flavor spectrum? IBUs listed at 70 and ABV is 6.8%, so fairly well balanced. This one would be good with spicy fare and yes, I'd recommend it. Perhaps not a 6er but at least a pint to try. Beer geek stuff (but not much and interesting to see no grains listed):

HOPS: 2017 Experiment Hop: Steiner variety - #09326 from Yakima, WA, a Steiner variety
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 28th, 2018, 9:43 pm

120 Minute IPA (bottled on 10-20-17)-Dogfish Head Craft Ales

I've been pondering this sipping/review for over a week now and still can't decide to quote fuse and say, "Hoppy gasoline" or use one of my old reviews and rave about its complexity. Well, I think it's somewhere in-between.

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle in 4 ounce aliquots into a cordial glass over 3 nights last week. Appearance was somewhat viscous with a golden-yellow hue with a thin head. Vinous nose along with booze and orange peel. Tastes of grain alcohol (strong!!), orange liqueur, orange peel, table syrup and sherry. Very warming, alcohol finish. Named 120 Minute IPA (actually a DIPA or maybe a TIPA, I guess) for a 120 minute boil with multiple hop additions and finished at 120 IBUs () with an ABV somewhere in the 18% range, lower than the 20-21% it has been in prior releases. I think it would overpower most foods and is best slightly chilled and sipped in small portions over 30-45 minutes. I'll probably pull a bottle of this from storage in 6 months and review again twice annually. Several available for trading...
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 28th, 2018, 11:03 pm

All The Breakfast-Wolf's Ridge Brewing

Imperial breakfast style cream ale .

Not sure I've ever seen a designation like that before.

I divided a Christmas present bomber over two nights. Pour was a clear gold color with a modest head. Nose of coffee and table/maple syrup. I swear I can almost taste the cream . Lots of coffee on the nose along with "an obscene amount of Ohio maple syrup." Here are the rest of the ingredients mentioned on the label with no ability to verify from their website:

Barley: check; it's beer, dummy
Oats: sure, why not
Corn: wait, this isn't a Dogfish Head brew
Rice: wait, did ABInBev have some input here?
Smoked malt: well, maybe
Orange peel: look at the name, silly
Lactose sugar: I knew there was cream in this beer
Ohio maple syrup: perhaps not so obscene after all
Cacao nibs: maybe a hint of chocolate
Cinnamon: whoa, did Southern Tier slip into this brewery, too
Toasted coconut: hmm, not sure about this one
Vanilla bean: guess it's good with the cinnamon and...
One Line coffee: I knew coffee was in here somewhere

I'll guess IBUs about 30 based on my palate and the style. ABV was a stunning 10.7%, another reason to divided the 22 ounces over 2 nights. This was a Christmas gift from son of devildeac. Yea, he and his wife will get another invite this Christmas. This was a pretty amazing concoction.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 6th, 2018, 9:54 pm

Canis Mexicanus Double Expresso (9/21/17)-Wolf's Ridge Brewing

Drink local (or have your son purchase and deliver)!

Spiced imperial stout

A Christmas gift (from our son) bomber divided over 2 nights last week.

Poured at cellar temperature into a snifter with a small, tan head on the first night and no head on the second. Aromas? Dark, dark coffee and semi-sweet chocolate. Tastes? The same with some spices and a bit of heat at the finish, but not an unpleasant fire, just a bit warming. I'll guess IBUs about 60 based on the style. ABV at 10.4% so the heat/warming originates from a blend of peppers and the alcohol. Sip alone for a liquid dessert or pair with some double or triple chocolate brownies or a truffle or two. Some ingredients (listed on the bottle):

Cacao nibs
One Line coffee beans (more than double their usual portion)
Vanilla (didn't really taste this)
Cinnamon (subtle but present)
Blend of chilis (nothing like habanero heat)

I think the only thing that keeps me from rating this superb is the addition of the peppers but they're quite tolerable and add an interesting touch to the coffee, chocolate imperial stout recipe. This apparently has been brewed in a BBA variant, too, and yes, I am accepting donations of this iteration for Christmas, 2018 .
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 6th, 2018, 10:00 pm

Breakfast Stout (10/13/17)-Founders Brewing Company

Always worthy of a mention, especially now that I think it's a year-round offering.

This was beer #3 from my February beer club 4 pack.

Almost black hue from a 12 ounce bottle into a standard pint glass. Rich, coffee scents and tastes with dark, semi-sweet chocolate on the palate, too. Moderate bitterness from the IBUs of 60 and the heavy, almost burnt grain/caramel flavors. ABV of 8.3%. I swear, sometime I will pour a couple ounces of this over a thick slab of French toast at home or at a tailgate.