Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by devildeac » January 20th, 2018, 11:37 am

From 9/3/17:
devildeac wrote:DKML-Founders Brewing Company

Booze bomb alert.

This is their 4th barrel-aged beer of 2017 with Backwoods Bastard to follow in October and a TBA in November or December. The Founders sales rep I chatted with a couple months ago is hoping #6 will be CBS. (Day-umm, I just looked this up and it will indeed be their 6th BA release for 2017, representing a re-release of the 2011 version in bombers and a keg-only release in 2014. Sign me up! http://tenemu.com/news/founders-rere...series/08/2017)

A bourbon barrel-aged malt liquor? WTH? Not sure I've ever heard of that before and I can't recall the last time I had a malt liquor, though I think some states require that on the labels of beers that exceed a certain ABV, likely varying from state to state.

August West kindly contributed this capped bomber as the "finishing" beer of the tailgate, and, at 14.2% (no typo), we were indeed finished. Pour was a honey-straw color with a small head. Nose? Booze, specifically, corn liquor. Tastes? Vanilla, butterscotch, wood, caramel and more liquor. I'll estimate IBUs in the 20 range and didn't I mention the ABV is a stunning 14.2%? I <think> I did already. They're marketing this in 4 packs and bombers and, if you pick up a 22 ounce bottle, be prepared to cork the bottle tightly if you can't finish it in a single sitting (say, 1-2 hours) or share with friends. I got a litter of 4 from Total Wine yesterday AM rather coincidentally and will sure lay 2 of them down for a year or two in order to see what the alcohol burn will be like after some cellaring.
From the wee hours this am:

DKML-Founders Brewing Company

Still a booze bomb, even after another 4 months in the "cellar."

Same appearance and aromas. Perhaps a bit "softer" on the palate than in September but it still has quite an alcohol "burn." I think the bourbon barrel aging/tastes are a bit more prominent now. Flavors became even more "intense" as it warmed. This took over an hour to sip from a snifter after we finished a drive to the NC coast for the weekend. Two bottles remain. I think one makes a tailgate appearance this year and the other ages until January, 2019. Very potent stuff.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 20th, 2018, 11:09 pm

From 6/14/17:
devildeac wrote:From 4/25/17:

Yowsa! A 12-ounce can will set you back a pretty penny (or 699 of them), but the last one at Stella was totally worth it. 13% ABV and a triple-digit (125) IBU. But, damn, the whisky barrel aging is awesome. Super-boozy, but wonderful chocolate notes. Pricey, but worth it. A really awesome beer.

From last PM:

Night Jump-Aviator Brewing Company

I'm pretty sure there's not much to add to this short, succinct and totally on target review. I'd have never thought 125 IBUs. The whiskey and cocoa/chocolate are an amazing combination. I don't care if we're nearing the summer solstice, this was outstanding from my Goose Island Bourbon County Stout snifter, sipped over almost an hour as a nightcap. Quite pleased to have 3 more of these and, at only 500 pennies per 12 ounce can and bought at the Aviator Smokehouse last month, I got quite a deal. I'd have likely never bought this without remembering Tripping William's review.
From now:

Night Jump (no date on can but likely spring, 2017)-Aviator Brewing Company

Worth re-visiting 7 months later.

Poured from a 12 ounce can into a snifter and sipped over an hour (it's 13% ABV!!) Almost black hue with a small head. Dark chocolate and bourbon scents and tastes with a drop or two of coffee and molasses. A nice way to celebrate tonight's stunning announcement.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 21st, 2018, 10:42 pm

Monumental-Port City Brewing Company

Final beer from my January beer club 4 pack.

Meh. A rather average IPA. Pour was a light bronze with a small head. Nose of citrus and pine as printed on the label. Mild tastes of resin, orange, pineapple and some zest. IBUs 57 and ABV was 6.3%. Would be a nice pairing with a deli sammich. Not bad but wouldn't re-visit.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 22nd, 2018, 10:37 pm

High Roller-Big Boss Brewing Company

Fuse states he doesn't think he's had this and I know I haven't but found this in our shared beach house fridge this weekend and decided to "confiscate" it for personal consumption .

I won't add much to Tripping William's excellent review except "my" bottle produced an overly foamy head so I was worried about spoilage (date on bottle was 11/18/17 but not sure if that was the brewing date or best by date). The aromas and tastes were fine, thankfully. Lots of orange (blood orange added) juicy and zesty tastes. I'll guess IBUs about 50 and the ABV was 6.75% (really? ). I think this would be really tasty with some sweet and sour shrimp.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 22nd, 2018, 11:01 pm

Lightning Strikes Thrice-Wilmington Brewing Company

Impressive. Very, very impressive. Worth having a draft or seeking out a single or 4 pack (guessing here as it was a pint can)

Gift from our next-door neighbor last PM for picking up their mail and newspapers (yes, they still print them ) for a couple days last week.

Pour was a light, golden-yellow with a small, foamy head. Luscious aromas of pineapple and grapefruit. Tastes of the same with some mango and papaya, too. Moderate bitterness (rind-y, pith-y) but not piney/resin-y, with an estimated IBUs of 80-90 (it's labeled a triple IPA) with the ABV at 10.2% so there's some alcohol burn and some light honey flavors here, too. Ingredients listed on the can:

Malts: Pale, Pilsner, Carapils, White Whe*t (trying to stay gluten-free, even on Ymm, Beer )
Hops (boil and double dry hopped): Warrior, Columbus, Simcoe, Mosaic, Centennial, Amarillo and Denali

I may have to visit this brewery on our next trip to the NC coast.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 24th, 2018, 5:01 pm

From 7/22/17:
devildeac wrote:From 3/13/17:
devildeac wrote:High West-fied Imperial Coffee Stout-Lagunitas Brewing Company

Everything you might think and more. Think Cappuccino Stout aged in High West rye and bourbon barrels.

Inky black, viscous pour with a wispy head from a 12 ounce bottle into a Founders snifter. Coffee and booze initially, then tasting dark chocolate, lots of dark caramel and coffee with warming, bourbon notes midway through and a bit more booze to finish. IBUs are less than the Cappuccino Stout, measuring 39.6 (really, it's on the bottle) and a quite potent 12.2% ABV. Amazingly, this is in 6ers and was about $15 after a buck off Total Wine coupon last month. Not sure I'll share any of these (kidding). No dessert necessary.
From last PM:

High West-fied Imperial Coffee Stout-Lagunitas Brewing Company

Same pour and appearance but, after 4 months of cellaring, I thought the coffee was much more pronounced and the bourbon more subdued. More of a dark chocolate-dipped coffee been this time. Yea, I know, strange beer to sip in the summer heat and humidity, but we've got a buncha guests in the house, so something a bit more "fortified" was necessary.

Three still available for sharing. Doubt I'll sample another one of these heavyweights until the fall. Ymm, tailgates...
From last PM:

High West-ified Imperial Coffee Stout-Lagunitas Brewing Company

(or maybe winter)

Two traded in December and last one sipped last PM after the MBB victory. Pretty nicely balanced coffee (added), bourbon (barrel aging) and dark chocolate flavors (dark/heavily roasted grains) both on the nose and on the palate. Wish I had searched for the newer Lagunitas barrel-aged RIS, too. Oh, well. Time for some more beer shopping.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 24th, 2018, 10:02 pm

Dad-Rheingeist Brewery

(Have your son) buy local (deliver) and drink at home (late, as usual) after the holiday .

Hoppy holiday ale.

It's a hoppy red ale, meaning it was a red-amber pour with a modest, light tan and foamy head. Nose of orange peel (not added) and toffee with tastes of the same, a bit of pine and cherry cola, C-O-L-A, cola. IBUs of 46 on the can (45 on the website ) with ABV at 6%. I think this would have paired nicely with our Christmas beef tenderloin. Fuse sent me a photo of this in early December, IIRC, as a hint-hint/nudge-nudge/wink-wink and our son delivered the goods a couple days before Christmas. They'll be 3 in his late Christmas delivery stocking, err, case in a week or two.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 24th, 2018, 10:24 pm

From 1/9/17:
devildeac wrote:From 4/10/16:
devildeac wrote:Gouden Carolus Noel-Brouwerij Het Anker

These folks have been brewing beer for a while (1471!). Looks/tastes like they do a pretty good job .

Poured from a 330 ml bottle into an Ommegang goblet and shared (just a taste ) with our younger daughter last PM. Purchased a 4 pack at Total Wine a couple months ago on a "closeout" for about $7, IIRC, with their buck off coupon. I like inexpensive, outstanding ales. Almost as much as I like expensive, outstanding ales . Brewed in August, 2015 and bottled on 9/9/15, it poured a clear medium brown with hints of ruby, the nose was dark brown sugar, dried fruits and dark rum. Six spices are mentioned and I'd guess ginger, cinnamon, coriander and licorice with no clue what the last 2 might be. Three hops mentioned but not named. Tastes like an expensive, high quality fruitcake, with nuts, spices, brown sugar and raisins with dates and figs on the top instead of a nasty, red maraschino cherry and a green pineapple chunk. And I like fruitcakes. I've got 3 left and it can be cellared for 3 years so guess what's coming to the Christmas table this year?

From last PM:

Well, I'm a little late for Christmas but we sampled plenty of other ales over the holidays so this was all mine.

The licorice/anise was more prominent after another 9 months in the "cellar." Perhaps a bit too prominent as I tasted it from mid-sip to the finish of each swallow. Mouthfeel was very smooth but not oily. The fruitcake analogy continues to be very relevant here. I'm still unable to ascertain what those other 2 spices might be. In Euro tradition: 10,5% ABV and EBU of 11. I'll probably have one of these again for a Christmas in July and then finish off the 4 pack sometime during the 2017 Christmas season.
From tonight:

Gouden Carolus Noel (bottled on 9/9/15)-Brouwerij Het Anker

From my Gouden Carolus tulip glass which I chose when I renewed my beer club membership in August. What a coincidence !

Smoother, more mellow, less licorice and more fruits, spices and nuts that just over one year ago. This 4 pack was a steal.

I've got one left as I never had my Christmas in July, nor did I share any with family over their Christmas/New Year's holiday visits. Guess the last one will be Christmas, 2018, if I'm able to remember .
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 28th, 2018, 4:07 pm

Saison Brett (2016)-Boulevard Brewing Company

From their Smokestack Series

They took their very popular Tank 7 offering and dry-hopped it and then bottle-conditioned it with several yeasts including one of the classic Brettanomyces variants (info gleaned from their website).

Poured from a corked and caged 750 ml bottle that was gifted by a patient last month from her son who owned Bombers Beverage Company, a craft beer store in Wilmington, NC, who has since gone to work for New Anthem Brewing nearby. I had ~375 ml with a spinach and chicken quiche for dinner and drained the bottle as a night cap, both times in a sexy little Allagash tulip glass. Pour was fizzy and foamy with a long-lingering head. Appearance was slightly hazy with an orange-tinged, yellow hue. Nose of wet straw and funk with tastes of the same along with not-quite-ripe Granny Smith apples and underripe pears. There are hints of lemon and lemon zest, too. IBUs listed at 38 (higher than I would have guessed based on the style and tasting) with the ABV at 8.5%, so really an imperial saison. Very happy to divide this into 2 servings several hours apart. Not sure of the cost but I think I saw a 2017 version somewhere on line so it'd be worth finding and aging for 6-12 months, especially given the reputation of Brett beers to age well.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 28th, 2018, 8:28 pm

Truth-Rheingeist Brewery

(Get your son to) buy local (then deliver) and drink local!

Six pack of cans delivered just before Christmas.

This is really a good IPA in a rather crowded field. Pour into a standard pint glass was slightly hazy with a modest, foamy head Color was yellow with a hint of orange. Fresh aromas of citrus and tropical nectars. Juicy tastes of pineapple, grapefruit, mango and a drop or two of orange. There's a bit of zestiness, too. Solid IPA stats of 75 on the IBUs and 7.2% for the ABV and it's nicely balanced. Would pair nicely with mild to moderately spicy fare. Three have been set aside for fuse and I'll trade and/or enjoy my remaining two. Soon.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 28th, 2018, 8:39 pm

Cold Snap White Ale-Boston Beer Company

Sam Adams version of Blue Moon?

A 12 ounce bottle leftover from out of town.

Pour was a cloudy yellow with a medium-sized foamy head. Faint scents of spice up front, likely coriander, with a bit of an orange finish as it warmed a bit. IBUs of 10 and ABV was 5.3%. A decent pairing with some leftover spinach and chicken quiche, a small ramekin of creamed spinach and a side of strawberries. Decent offering and worth the grouping likely included in one of their 12 pack winter samplers.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 29th, 2018, 10:26 pm

Knowledge-Rheingeist Brewery

After Truth, comes Knowledge, or something like that (^^^^)

This is their IIPA, and a very good one, too.

Poured from a 12 ounce can into a standard pint glass with a foamy, creamy head. Color was yellow-straw with a grapefruity and pineapple-y nose. There are subtle piney tastes but overall, it's mostly juicy with a bit of light caramel sweetness and some citrus rind/zest. Stunning IBUs of 98 but it didn't drink that bitter and was very nicely balanced with the ABV at 8.5%. Pairings would be with your usual spicy entrees.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 29th, 2018, 11:03 pm

Panther-Rheingeist Brewery

More local (delivered to my storage facility last month by our son)!

Pour from a 12 ounce can into a standard pint glass tonight was a dark brown with a moderate, tan, creamy head. Expected aromas of milk chocolate, darkly toasted/roasted grains and a drop or two of coffee. Rich, creamy tastes of milk chocolate, light molasses, a bit of coffee and toasted pumpernickel. IBUs of 28, perhaps a shade low for the style (porter) with IBUs of 5.8%, pretty standard. This would be great with a slab of prime rib or bowl of beef stew.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 31st, 2018, 9:58 pm

From 4/4/17:
devildeac wrote:From 6/3/16:
devildeac wrote:Tripel Overhead Bourbon Barrel Aged-Mother Earth Brewing

Drink local!

Poured with a modest head that disappeared quickly and was a cloudy orange-amber color with a lovely nose of orange zest, flowers, a pinch of black pepper from the Belgian yeast, and a bit of booze. Tastes match the aromas along with some vanilla, oak and lightly toasted coconut from the barrel aging and moderate sweetness from the likely addition of candi sugar to the brewing process. I'd guess the IBU in the 30 range as it is a tripel and the ABV was 9%. Outstanding brew whether sipped by itself or accompanying a plate of fresh fruit or a fruit tart dessert.
From last PM:

Tripel Overhead BBA (bottle dated 4/4/16)-Mother Earth Brewing

This is such a good beer fresh and it's held up well after 1 year of cellaring. It might be a bit smoother now with a bit more prominent vanilla flavors and perhaps a tad more coconutty than 9 months ago with the BBA remaining fairly subtle. Great memories of Total Wine mis-marking this and being able to secure 4 packs for a bit under $6 each for ricks68, Tripping William and myself instead of at the correct price of $18 .
From last PM:

Tripel Overhead BBA (bottle date 4/4/16)-Mother Earth Brewing

Correction: It's held up well after almost 2 years of cellaring. The last 12 ounce bottle from the (almost) $6 mis-marked 4 pack from Total Wine almost 2 years ago . Pour was a medium amber with a small head. Nose of vanilla, coconut and bourbon. Tastes the same with a twist of orange peel and some light brown sugar. I'll guess IBUs around 20 and the ABV was 9.5% and very warming yet dangerously sippable. If I get another 10% off Total Wine coupon soon, I think I'll splurge for the $18 four pack and savor for a year or two.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 31st, 2018, 11:06 pm

Call the Hops-Fortnight Brewing Company

New England IPA-see above

Poured from a 12 ounce can, stolen, err, accepted for compensation for (grand)child care tonight from our older daughter and her husband. Appearance was a cloudy, golden-yellow with a foamy head. They don't call this "hazy juice" for naught. Aromas of mangos, pineapple and papaya and tastes of the same. It's juicy! Bitterness perception is mild to moderate and I'll guess IBUs about 50. Mosaic, Citra and Amarillo hops are featured. ABV is 6%. Suggested pairings would be deli sammiches or mild grilled fare. Worth re-visiting or sampling on draft if you spot it.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 1st, 2018, 10:24 pm

From 8/11/17:
devildeac wrote:
devildeac wrote:From 12/20/15:
devildeac wrote:From 6/13/14:

From 2/7/17:

Old Curmudgeon Ale (or is it Curmudgeon Old Ale?)-Founders Brewing

This was my last bottle of the 2/2013 brewing and just had to sip it Wednesday night to give it another pouring after not really enjoying my last bottle due to a stale taste. This one was far better, classic for the old ale style and re-affirmed my thoughts that this is really a fabulous beer that got better with 1+ year of aging. Poured a slightly cloudy brown-burgundy with a small head, the scents were brown sugar and vanilla with tastes of dark caramel, dark dried fruits, vanilla, oak and a bit of rum. Was even smoother and more flavorful as it warmed a bit over 30 minutes. Definitely an after dinner/dessert/night cap beer. IBUs were 50 and the ABV was 9.8%. It is listed as being available from April-June so it might be worth a trip to your favorite specialty store to procure a 4 pack.

2015 edition (actually bottle dated 1/13/15 so this bottle was aged 11 months already)

Just as smooth as above. I'm guessing I bought this last month at Total Wine for about $11 for the 4 pack with my buck off coupon. Anytime you see this on the shelf, buy 4 and drink one that night, cellar one for a year and trade the others for some sort of Bastards.
From last night and tonight:

Curmudgeon (1/13/15)-Founders Brewing

Last night, six ounces of this was delicious as it warmed in an Alewerks snifter. Tonight, even after (wine) corking tightly for 24 hours, it tasted slightly oxidized and a bit flatter than yesterday. So, the lesson is probably age for less than 2 years and sip all 12 ounces slowly over one evening or share with friend.
From last PM:

Curmudgeon Old Ale/Old Curmudgeon Ale (bottle dated 1/13/15)-Founders Brewing

My last bottle (sniff). Until the anticipated 2/2018 release.

Poured a muddy brown with a modest head that quickly became a rim in my Founders snifter. Oaky/woody aromas with earthy, herbal, rummy, brown sugary, molasses-y and dark, dried fruity tastes. IBUs of 50 and ABV at 9.8%, plenty boozy. This was still very good after more than 2.5 years in the bottle/cellar but likely was better a year ago. I did learn the lesson to sip all 12 ounces in the same night and the second night's serving is more likely to be flat and somewhat oxidized as I mentioned above.
From tonight:

Old Curmudgeon Ale (I couldn't read the etching on the bottle but the label said 2015)-Founders Brewing

Fake news.

After another 6 months in the "cellar," this was still quite good. I must have overlooked this bottle. I'd simply add the perception of dark, dried fruits to the above review. Worth the $12-14 this would likely cost for a 4 pack with one to enjoy now, trade one and cellar the other two for a couple years.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 2nd, 2018, 11:27 pm

Hoppyum-Foothills Brewing Company

It's been a while. Partial payment from older daughter and son-in-law for kiddie care as they vacation somewhere warm.

Pour from a 12 ounce bottle into a standard pint glass was a clear, orange-yellow with a frothy head. There was a bit of sediment in the last 10 ml so I think this may have been "aged" a bit but no hints of spoilage. Juicy aromas and tastes of tangerine, grapefruit and pineapple with Simcoe as the featured hop. It's a bit "unbalanced" with ABV a bit low for an IPA at 6.25% (yes, they really have that on the label) and IBUs a tad elevated at 78. Pair this with mildly spicy dishes. It is indeed a yum beer.
Bob Green
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by Bob Green » February 3rd, 2018, 10:40 am

Super Bowl Beer

Dos Equis Amber
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 7th, 2018, 4:13 pm

From 12/23/16:
devildeac wrote:Mountain County Stout-Pisgah Brewing

Simple name. Amazing beer. Labeled as a bourbon barrel aged breakfast stout. Yep, I'd sip this for a couple hours before a noon kickoff in Devils's Alley.

Pour was a dark, dark mahogany with a 1/2" head into a couple snifters as I shared the bomber (well, sort of) with our younger daughter tonight. Nose of Nestle's morsels and bourbon. Tantalizing tastes of dark, dark chocolate, booze and a very mild coffee finish. There's maybe a hint of black strap molasses and licorice here but they are really minor players. No IBUs listed but I'll guess 40-50. The ABV is 11.8% and after about 2/3 of this bomber, it's pretty apparent . We both enjoyed some homemade caramel corn and roasted/glazed mixed nuts with this.

Credit goes to ricks68 for this choice and delivery this spring. Thanks!
From last PM:

Mountain County Stout (undated bottle-thinking 2016)-Pisgah Brewing

Credit still goes to ricks68 for the delivery, unless mattman wants to take credit this time .

Pretty similar impressions to 14 months ago, perhaps even smoother. The small print on this one says "flavored imperial stout brewed with cocoa nibs and coffee and aged in oak whiskey barrels," with no "breakfast stout" designation to be found anywhere on the bottle. However, I'd still bring one to a brunchgate and share . Not sure I taste/smell any licorice this time but all the other flavors and aromas are still present. I'm dividing this bomber over three nights with some "session" beers.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 7th, 2018, 10:04 pm

From 9/30/17:
devildeac wrote:From 2/8/17:

Backwoods Bastard (bottled on 9/24/15)-Founders Brewing

From a ricks68 delivery during a late 2015 tailgate, IIRC. Two down, two remaining.

This was a 12 ounce bottle poured with a thin, tan head into a snifter and sipped over about an hour. Whisky and dark fruit juices on the nose. Brown sugar, cherries, dates, figs, raisins, vanilla, toasted coconut, light smoke and booze on the taste buds. Lots of booze. Still 50 IBUs but they've raised the bar on the ABV and it's now 11.6%. Nightcap. No food pairings. Outstanding again. The other two will be gone before 9/17.

From tailgate last PM:

Backwoods Bastard (11/9/14-IIRC)-Founders Brewing

August West brought this for the finishing beer last PM. A gracious thank you for a great beer!

I have no reservations about another review of this. Nil. Nada. Especially when someone is kind and generous enough to share.

The above review still stands, even with an ale that's almost 3 years old with this stamped on the bottle: BB 11/9/19.

This should be Founders Brewing barrel-aged beer #5 for 2017 and is due for release next month or in November. Find a 4 pack and have one when purchased and save the other 3 for 2018, 2019 and 2020. Worth the wait.
From this weekend:

From this past weekend:

Backwoods Bastard (bottled on 11/9/14; best by 11/9/19)-Founders Brewing

Couldn't wait until 2019 .

Don't have any of the 2017 release .

Bourbon-soaked, liquified dark, dried fruits, including raisins, dates, figs and cherries. Decadent. I think the IBUs are 50 (bottle is gone) and the ABV was either 11.8% or 12.4%. Cellar temperature. Snifter. An amazing beer. Sorry I missed the most recent release but hope some other Ymm, Beer readers bought a 4 pack. Or more.