Ymm, Beer!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by devildeac » December 22nd, 2017, 7:08 pm

Sugaree-Appalachian Mountain Brewing

Named for a farm and not the sweetener 8-| .

This was a 500 ml bottle via the fuse NC mountains delivery service this fall. Thanks!

Pour into a couple wine goblets was a straw color with a generous foamy and fizzy head. Nose of apples and pears, both because of the style and the aging on Asian pears in the brewing process. Tastes of the same with pears>apples. There's a bit of barnyard funk and wet straw in this due to the style but moreso from the Brettanomyces yeast aging. A hint of black pepper finishes the tasting. Very delicate and non-bitter, guessing IBUs around 20 with ABV at 5.3%. Devildeac II and I had this as an aperitif as we started our chicken parmesan, pasta and garden salad dinner, lovingly prepared by Mrs. dd tonight. It was not a really good pairing as not much pairs well with Italian food (more on that in next review) but this was an outstanding beer and would have been wonderful with an herbed/grilled chicken or a plate of fruit and/or soft cheese as an appetizer.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 22nd, 2017, 7:22 pm

Rufescent (#571 of 999)-Lynnwood Brewing Concern

Drink local!

A Flanders Inspired red ale with Brettanomyces, Pediococcus, Lactobacillus & Belgian Ale yeast. In Raleigh?! Yes, please!

I bought this limited edition 500 ml bottle ($10-reasonable price) this summer after re-hydrating at the brewery after hiking for 10+ miles/20K+ steps/4+ hours at Raven Rock State Park this June on the day it was released. Always nice to cellar and save for a special occasion like our son and his wife visiting for 5 days over Christmas.

Pour into a couple red wine glasses was a slightly muddy, ruby-brown hue with a small, fizzy head that disappeared pretty quickly. Nose of apple cider/red wine vinegar. Tastes were what I'd imagine a Sour Patch kids cherry-lemon soda would be. Tart and sweet cherries were used while brewing and there is a hint of cherry pie sweetness, too. IBUs of 8 and the ABV was 6.7%. I thought this made a rather good pairing with the chicken parm as the tart/sour tastes balanced fairly nicely with the mildly spicy homemade marinara sauce, a Mrs. dd specialty.

An early Merry Christmas to all!
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » December 22nd, 2017, 10:34 pm

devildeac wrote:
lawgrad91 wrote:Not that I think about work a lot, but I am drinking something called "The Guilty Party." :9f:

The Rev. LG thinks it's less hoppy than I do. I will let you know how it goes with a burger.
Great name for a beer.

I'm anxiously awaiting your reviews on Wisconsin Belgian Red and Serendipity over the holidays, either/both of which would likely make wonderful beers with appetizers, entrees and/or desserts.

:-w :-w
It would if we weren’t Mom-sitting an original member of the Woman’s Christian Temperance Union. So it’s looking like NYE for hitting the Wisconsin imports.

The Guilty Party goes great with a burger. :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 22nd, 2017, 10:45 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:
devildeac wrote:
lawgrad91 wrote:Not that I think about work a lot, but I am drinking something called "The Guilty Party." :9f:

The Rev. LG thinks it's less hoppy than I do. I will let you know how it goes with a burger.
Great name for a beer.

I'm anxiously awaiting your reviews on Wisconsin Belgian Red and Serendipity over the holidays, either/both of which would likely make wonderful beers with appetizers, entrees and/or desserts.

It would if we weren’t Mom-sitting an original member of the Woman’s Christian Temperance Union. So it’s looking like NYE for hitting the Wisconsin imports.

The Guilty Party goes great with a burger. :9f:
We'll be here.

;) :D
Bob Green
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by Bob Green » December 23rd, 2017, 11:15 am

I went shopping today and selected my Quick Lane Bowl brew: a six pack of Founders Porter:
Porter2017Feature.jpg
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 23rd, 2017, 11:51 am

To aid in Tripping William's weekend purchases:

The Abyss (12/9/16 bottling) Scotch Barrel Variant-Deschutes Brewing Company

This is a big beer. A very big beer.

Devildeac II (aka our son) helped me knock out a bomber of this last PM as a night cap. Took us about 45 minutes.

Pour was almost inky black with a thin, mocha head. Nose was thick with dark chocolate, wood, booze and hints of licorice. Mouthfeel was thick. Not quite Ten Fidy thick, but close. Semi-sweet chocolate up first, then slightly burnt dark caramel, followed by dried cherries and other dark fruits, a bit of coffee and vanilla with mild, lingering, but not unpleasant tastes of licorice and closing with the expected warming, boozy finish. I'll guess IBUs of 60 as it's an imperial stout and the ABV is 12.3% and that stat was not hiding from anyone. We had some gifted, home-baked chocolate chip cookies and Cadbury chocolate eggs with the elixir but this concoction would survive well on its own. I think no licorice would make this a "better" product but no one contacted me about that factor either .
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 24th, 2017, 10:15 pm

Raspberry Tart-New Glarus Brewing

Always worth another review of a superb fruit ale.

Pour from a 12 ounce bottle delivered by the Chicago version of my delivery service (no longer packaged in 750 ml bottles) was a ruby-brown into 3 champagne flutes (yes, I really kinda hated sharing this beer ). Modest pink head and a nose of fresh red raspberries. Tastes of slightly sour/slightly sweet berries with a faintly sour, woody finish. I'll guess 10 IBUs and ABV about 5% as NG posts no stats on their website or bottles. Serve with a bowl of fruit before a meal or as a dessert after a meal. I'm hoping the delivery service makes another trip to NC in the spring.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 24th, 2017, 10:31 pm

From 2/5/17:
devildeac wrote:You're welcome! My turn:

The Raspberry Wild One-Bell's Brewery

Bottle date: 7/8/16 (they brewed this to celebrate our anniversary!)
Bottle #: 1970 of 3920
Batch: 15438
Shelf life: Unlimited
Color: ruby-dark amber
Head: 1 finger-disappeared quickly
Nose: raspberry jam and cherry/apple cider vinegar
Taste: Rodenbach/Grand Cru with raspberry and cherry syrup-more sour/acetic/funky than sweet
IBUs: I'll guess 20 (Bell's doesn't believe in listing IBUs )
ABV: 6.6%

Bell's notes: "Raspberry Wild One begins, not as a single beer, but distinct batches fermented in wooden foeders each with its own array of flavors.

Our brewers sample and blend to taste, resulting in a refreshing brown ale with a tartness buoyed by fragrant aromas of ripe red raspberry, cherry, apple and a bit of funk from Brettanomyces yeast."

Additional info/thoughts: I shared half the 750 ml corked and caged bottle with Mrs. dd (who politely drank 2-3 ounces) and younger daughter (who gladly drank 4-5 ounces) last PM in champagne flutes and finished the bottle tonight myself from a large Ommegang chalice. The comparison with the New Glarus Raspberry Tart is an apt one (both raspberry brown ales aged in oak) but the Brett fermentation adds another layer of complexity to this one. Given a single choice, I'd take the Raspberry Tart at less than half the cost (~$12 vs $26 ). This a tremendous ale and I'm happy ricks68 and mattman91 passed on their bottles so fuse and I could each have 3 . I think I'll save bottle #2 for Christmas or New Year's Eve, 2017.
From tonight:

Well, it <almost> made it to Christmas .

The Raspberry Wild One (7/8/16 bottling)-Bell's Brewery

This 17 month old bottle was shared with devildeac II and a BIL (I'll blame Mrs. dd for that one, advertising me as the bartender for his meal ) for dessert tonight. All the above apply: sour, funky, vinegar-y, fruity, woody and mildly sweet. I'll guess IBUs about 20 and the ABV was 6.6%. I'm glad this followed Raspberry Tart and I'd still prefer the NG product based on its more readily available/deliverable status, the less sour/funky presentation and the >50% cost savings over the Bell's. Likely it doesn't matter much as this may be a one-off by Bell's.
Bob Green
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by Bob Green » December 25th, 2017, 10:17 am

Janice's Christmas present to me was a Devil's Backbone Adventure Pack. I'll be tasting either the Back Packin Nut Brown Ale or the Cafe De Manana later in the day when it becomes beer drinking time.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 25th, 2017, 10:52 am

Bob Green wrote:Janice's Christmas present to me was a Devil's Backbone Adventure Pack. I'll be tasting either the Back Packin Nut Brown Ale or the Cafe De Manana later in the day when it becomes beer drinking time.
Whoa! When did 1017 make it not beer drinking time? :D

I'm really anxious to hear from the lawgrads about their New Glarus fruit ales today...

lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » December 25th, 2017, 12:15 pm

devildeac wrote:
Bob Green wrote:Janice's Christmas present to me was a Devil's Backbone Adventure Pack. I'll be tasting either the Back Packin Nut Brown Ale or the Cafe De Manana later in the day when it becomes beer drinking time.
Whoa! When did 1017 make it not beer drinking time? :D

I'm really anxious to hear from the lawgrads about their New Glarus fruit ales today...

It’ll be late. We are going to see friends for lunch, but their son is on his sixth year of sobriety, so the fruit ales are staying home. Hopefully Mom will go to bed early and we can sample with desserts. :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 25th, 2017, 11:36 pm

Sour Pumpkin Ale-Three Ring Circus Brewing (aka Hi-Wire Brewing)

Drink regional!

Many, many thanks to grad_devil for bringing this to a 2017 tailgate and gifting to fuse and me and saved for a special occasion!

Pour was a medium brown hue from a 375 ml corked and caged bottle. Small tan head which rapidly disappeared. Pretty funky nose with tastes of brown sugar, cinnamon and red wine with pumpkins even later on the palate. There's a bit of brown sugar with minimal bitterness (guessing IBUs around 20) and the ABV is 8.6% so a pretty potent starter ale. I couldn't pick up any basil or whiskey/rum barrel aging as stated on the label. This is an excellent offering and would be happy pairing with Thanksgiving and/or Christmas dinner or as a dessert by itself.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 26th, 2017, 10:13 pm

Sympathy for the Devil-Sun King Brewery

No, this is not an extension of the Beatles-Stones debate, despite the beer *and* brewery named references .

Bourbon barrel/batch 666, or so stated on the label on the back of the twist-off cap/resealable 16 ounce can.

Also labeled a Belgian-style black ale, which I just noted tonight when I called on their website. Which would have made a mild difference in my perception last PM as I thought we (devildeacs I and II) were sipping an imperial stout that was a bit on the thin side. The Belgian-style black ale makes more sense now. Poured form the above "crowler" into 2 snifters, the color was almost black with a modest beige head. Nose was charred wood/grains with a hint of whiskey. Mouthfeel was a tad thin, which is where the black ale vs stout styling is important. Tastes were burnt caramel, some dark, unsweetened chocolate, a pinch of citrus rind and a mild, warming bourbon finish. IBUs were 35, so not quite in the black IPA or imperial stout category. The ABV was 10.5%, making this an imperial black ale. I guess. This wasn't cheap at about $13 including tax for the pint serving and I'm not sure I'd re-visit at that price. But, what the hey, how could I pass up a 2 pack with that name and then not share with another Blue Devil .
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 27th, 2017, 6:32 pm

Shock Top-Shock Top Brewing Company (St. Louis. I've got a sneaking suspicion where this really originated but I'm too lazy to research.)

No, I did not buy this. A 6er was gifted by a well-intentioned BIL (by marriage) who stopped by for an hour visit or so Christmas day with his wife (Mrs. dd's younger sister) and didn't even stay for dinner. They also brought 2 big bags of dipping chips and 2 different dips. Same BIL that brought a New Belgium 12 pack winter sampler last year that we all really enjoyed with Christmas dinner.

Pour was a cloudy, orange-yellow with a small, fizzy head. Nose of citrus, both juice and peels, and tastes of the same with some orange and coriander (added). I'll guess 20 IBUs as it's a Belgian-style wheat beer and the ABV is 5.2%. This would be good lawn-mowing beer and would be a nice pairing with a sweet and sour entree. Pleasant enough beer but I don't know what I'll do with the other 5 from the litter .
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 28th, 2017, 10:21 pm

12 Dogs of Christmas Ale-Thirsty Dog Brewing Company

(Have a family member) buy regional then transport it to drink locally .

Last of the litter left by our son as he and his wife departed Tuesday AM to return to Ohio.

This winter warmer poured a medium to dark brown with a modest, light tan head. Smells like spiced/mulled cider. I tasted cinnamon first, then some honey sweetness, followed by a bit of mildly spicy/warming ginger but not sure I ever tasted the nutmeg, all of which were added to the brew, but not by me . There was also some darkly toasted bread and a bit of caramel. Grain forward beer with IBUs only at 21.5 (really, it's on the label and website) with the ABV at 8.3%. Santa would have liked a bottle of this with some oatmeal raisin cookies or maybe some spice bars. They also brew this in a barrel-aged version. Next year, Christmas or New Year's admittance might have to be with a 4 pack or bomber of the BA version .
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 29th, 2017, 11:45 pm

Beekeeper-Gizmo Brewworks

Bomber (shared 4 ways) from older son-in-law tonight after Christmas dinner #2.

Pour was a honey-yellow with a modest, foamy head. Nose was mild citrus and sweet. Tastes were a bit of orange, honey (added) and garden floral hops. IBUs on the bottle at 11 and ABV was 5;.5%, both pretty standard for a wh*at beer, though I'd prefer to be gluten-free . This was a nice palate cleanser after dinner and before a couple other shared brews.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 29th, 2017, 11:52 pm

Wee Mac-Sun King Brewing

Pint can purchased from the brewery over Thanksgiving and shared 4 ways after dinner tonight. Brewery suggestion by luburch. Thanks!!

Pour was a medium brown with a light, tan, foamy head. Nose of toasted grains and dark honey. Tastes of light brown sugar, herbal hops, a hint of smoke and some dark brown toast. Minimal bitterness with IBUs of 23 and the ABV was 5.3%. This was pleasant after dinner but would also be enjoyable with some ribs, prime rib or some brisket. I'd prefer a Scottish-style ale to be a bit more potent but I'd buy this again.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 30th, 2017, 8:36 am

Time for the 3, 4 and 5 sluggers from last PM.

Biplane (December, 2016)-Gizmo BrewWorks

Drink local!

Bomber brought to Christmas dinner #2 yesterday by our old son-in-law and shared among 4 tasters.

This was from their Inventor Series and was a wood-aged gose with American and French Oak chips soaked in tequila (I copied this from the label).

Pour was a straw-yellow color with an enormous, fizzy head that gave me pause at first and made me think "spoiled beer." It was anything but spoiled. After a couple minutes, the foam was almost gone and the aromas were salt and spice with some wood. Tastes were mildly salty, less than I anticipated for the style, followed by a bit of lime (? added), wood and a very mild, warming tequila finish. No IBUs stated but I'd guess 5-10 based on the style, and ABV was 6.3%, high for a gose, therefore their "ability" to call it an "imperial gose."

We sipped this after dinner without any pairings but I guess some grilled shrimp/scallops/fish would make good match-up.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 30th, 2017, 12:58 pm

In the clean-up spot:

St. Bernardus Christmas Ale-St. Bernardus Brouwerij

A beer that annually appears on Top 10 Christmas beers lists and rightfully so.

This was a 750 ml corked and caged bottle gifted by a patient from one of her sons who just sold Bombers Beverage Company in Wilmington, NC to New Anthem, a new brewery in town. Divided (almost) equally among 3 tasters from tulip glasses well after our post-dinner libations.

Pour was a slightly cloudy medium to dark brown with a moderate, creamy tan head. Seductive scents of dark dried fruits and subtle spicing. Tastes of figs, plums, dates, raisins, cherries, dark brown sugar with a hint of licorice and accompanied by herbal/earthy hops. Minimal bitterness, expected for the Belgian quad style that it is, so I'll guess IBUs about 20-30. Dangerously sippable at 10% ABV. Dessert in a glass or serve with a thick slice of fruitcake (if that pleases your palate). I'm available to receive similar gifts next year
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 30th, 2017, 6:29 pm

Scaldis Noël (sometimes known as Bush de Noël) Christmas 2015-Brasserie Dubuisson Frères

Two year old 750 ml bottle I think I got for <$10 at Total Wine in early 2016 as a close out. Great deal!

Pour was a muddy red-brown with a fairly generous, foamy tan head. Pretty similar aromas to the St Bernadus Christmas Ale with lots or dried fruits and mild winter spice combination. Tastes of the same with dark cherries, figs, raisins, nuts, brown sugar, caramel and maybe a little rummy. Minimal bitterness with some herbal and earthy hops. I'll guess IBUs about 20-30. Maybe a liquid, sticky, toffee pudding or liquid fruitcake would be good comparisons. Would pair with either, I think, but 3 of us took close to an hour to finish the bottle, a wise deed given the stunning and seductive ABV of 12% on this monster ale. This is another strong, dark Belgian ale that appears on a lot of Top 10 or Top 25 Christmas beer lists.