Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by devildeac » December 7th, 2017, 10:35 pm

Pollinator (draft)-C*rolina Brewing Company/Trophy Brewing Company

Drink local!

First up from a four beer sampler, four ounces each pour.

It's a doppelbock, hence the -ator ending. They used 40 pounds of honey while brewing it, hence the pollin-. Clever stuff .

Not quite the proper time of year for the style but I've had bocks and doppelbocks during the Christmas holiday season before so no problem.

Pour was a dark amber with a small, creamy off-white head. Tempting aromas of toasted whole grain bread and dark caramel. Palate-tickling tastes of brown sugar, honey, dark cherries and some herbal/earthy hops. No IBUs listed but I'll guess 30 based on the style (it's a lager). ABV listed at 8%, about standard for the style. I'm not a monk but I sure enjoyed this "liquid bread" with my sub.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 7th, 2017, 10:43 pm

From 6/9/15:
devildeac wrote:La Fin Du Monde-Unibroue (Sleeman, no Sapporo) Brewing

I had forgotten how good this golden/triple ale was until we started our discussion here a few days ago about the end of the world (as we know it and I feel fine). Shortly after that, I received my (anonymous) 6er delivery from The Raleigh Wine Shop, owned by none other than the (almost) former poster, genedoc.

Poured a golden-yellow with a fairly typical moderate to large fizzy, lacy head into my Ommegang tulip a couple nights ago. Complex nose of peppery Belgian yeasts, banana, spice, tart apples and ripe pears. The taste didn't disappoint either, following the aromas fairly closely. Perhaps a bit of pineapple on the palate, too. I might have to buy a 4 pack of Duvel along with another one of two of the Belgian golden ales for a taste-testing sometime this summer. I think this would rank near the top. Extremely smooth drinking at 19 IBUs and rather dangerous, too, at 9% ABV. Sip by itself before dinner or with fresh fruits. It'd also pair nicely with lighter fish or even creamy seafood entrees.
From tonight:

La Fin Du Monde (draft)-Unibroue/Sleeman/Sapporo Brewing Company

Even smoother/fresher from a keg. They've brewed this since 1994 and based on the stats listed at the wine/beer shop tonight on their draft list, I'll wager they haven't changed the recipe much. I could make this a regular beverage. It paired nicely with my sub.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 8th, 2017, 7:31 pm

Floccy Balboa (draft)-Mikkeller Brewing

I don't name 'em, I only drink 'em .

Four ounce pour and the 3rd of my 4 beer sampler last PM.

Pour was a golden-yellow with a small head. Super citrusy nose, mostly grapefruit. Even more fruity tastes with fresh grapefruit juice, a bit of rind with a supporting cast of pineapple, mango and orange. Almost oily and chewy. It was on the draft sheet as a IIIPA and I guess that's as good a name as any. IBUs were 75 and the ABV was 11% with the latter stat placing outside the typical IIPA boundaries. If I could find a can/4 pack of this, I'd certainly purchase it. Looks like they started canning it 11/4/17, the day after they packaged Murk Tyson. Repeat disclaimer: I don't name these brews .

http://www.mikkellersd.com/beers
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 8th, 2017, 8:29 pm

From 10/18/11:
devildeac wrote:Storm King-Victory Brewing

This is a year round offering but I just can't drink any of these in the summers in NC. Fall, winter and spring, yes but not as a year rounder. Brickey, a lurker and rare poster OY, visited our tents with his young daughter in a stroller on Saturday and she's the one who actually offered me this brew. What a sweet, intelligent and tasteful child :)) :)) ! Seriously, she did hold up the bottle and I shared it with her dad and found it to be much as I have in years past. Almost pitch black and with a hop punch and even more of an alcohol punch. I'd guess IBU to be about 60-70 and the ABV is 9.1%. Glad I had less than a 1/2 bottle! Tons of espresso tastes with dark chocolate, too. I sipped on this slightly chilled with a couple coconut blondie bars but no chocolate chip cookies or brownies this Saturday :(( . Throw in a scoop of coffee, butter pecan or almond ice cream and you'd have a very fine beer float.
From last PM:

Last of the flight from yesterday:

Storm King (draft)-Victory Brewing Company

Sipped as the final beer to allow it to warm a bit as it's an imperial stout. I'll also see if I can search for an old review of this as it's been several years since I've sipped one.

Pour was a dark as night with a creamy, medium tan topping. Heavily roasted grains and coffee are the olfactory impressions. Tasting impressions mirror the aromatic ones with slightly burned pumpernickel toast, dark, dark roasted coffee, unsweetened dark chocolate, dark caramel and a hint of licorice. Did I mention this is one really dark beer? Bitter? You bet. IBUs are 95, extreme even for the imperial stout style. ABV is 9.1% so there is some balance but this one is bitter from both the intense black/chocolate malts (there's that dark reference again ) and the huuuuge hop presence. Of locally/regionally available "standard" imperial stouts, I still prefer Brooklyn's Black Chocolate Stout (though Raleigh Brewing's The Toll is excellent, too) as the emphasis is more on semi-sweet dark chocolate than the heavy coffee lean with this one. I think I appreciate it better/more than my last tasting but it's still a bit "rough."
Turk
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by Turk » December 9th, 2017, 3:39 pm

Conshohocken Brewing - Hinkie's Sweet Revenge

A few weeks back, I spent a Friday downtown in the office cleaning up the flotsam and jetsam of a long week of client work. On the way home, I decided to pop into Misconduct Tavern's new second location near the Comcast tower, much more convenient to the train station than the original Misconduct on the other side of Rittenhouse Square.

I pulled up a stool and checked out the draft list, and laughed when I saw "Hinkie's Sweet Revenge." It's a Belgian Witbier made by Conshohocken Brewing, an up-and-coming craft brewer that has some backing from a couple Philly sports media folks (free advertising!). At this point, the story gets really weird and there's no telling the fact from the fiction. Allegedly, future NBA All-Star Joel Embiid enjoys Shirley Temple's when out on the town, so the Conshy Brewers were "inspired" to try and make a beer similar in taste to a Shirley Temple, brewed with ginger and black currants. (I have no idea what a Shirley Temple is supposed to taste like, and I can only guess about black currants. I think currants are those little BB-sized berries where you need 10,000,000 to make a thimbleful of jam. No thank you. Please pass the Smuckers grape or apricot and call me a philistine.)

Enough prologue, on to the beer. "Hinkie's Sweet Revenge" is 6.3% ABV and came in a 12 oz tulip, with no head and looking like a glass of apple cider. Ginger is the predominant flavor, crisp and tart, not "sweet" at all. (Just looking at the name, I was expecting some type of dessert beer). I think the currants smooth out the ginger, making a very drinkable beverage. I paired it with a roast pork sammich, with au jus, sharp prov, broccoli rabe, and long hots. The Sixers game was on the telly, it was fun chatting with the bartenders in their Sixers T-shirts. (As a Hinkie Truther, I like the "Hinkie Died For Your Sins" one).

http://www.breweriesinpa.com/hinkies...irley-temples/

Trust the process!
"The idea is that you are better today than you were yesterday."
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 9th, 2017, 5:41 pm

Turk wrote:Conshohocken Brewing - Hinkie's Sweet Revenge

A few weeks back, I spent a Friday downtown in the office cleaning up the flotsam and jetsam of a long week of client work. On the way home, I decided to pop into Misconduct Tavern's new second location near the Comcast tower, much more convenient to the train station than the original Misconduct on the other side of Rittenhouse Square.

I pulled up a stool and checked out the draft list, and laughed when I saw "Hinkie's Sweet Revenge." It's a Belgian Witbier made by Conshohocken Brewing, an up-and-coming craft brewer that has some backing from a couple Philly sports media folks (free advertising!). At this point, the story gets really weird and there's no telling the fact from the fiction. Allegedly, future NBA All-Star Joel Embiid enjoys Shirley Temple's when out on the town, so the Conshy Brewers were "inspired" to try and make a beer similar in taste to a Shirley Temple, brewed with ginger and black currants. (I have no idea what a Shirley Temple is supposed to taste like, and I can only guess about black currants. I think currants are those little BB-sized berries where you need 10,000,000 to make a thimbleful of jam. No thank you. Please pass the Smuckers grape or apricot and call me a philistine.)

Enough prologue, on to the beer. "Hinkie's Sweet Revenge" is 6.3% ABV and came in a 12 oz tulip, with no head and looking like a glass of apple cider. Ginger is the predominant flavor, crisp and tart, not "sweet" at all. (Just looking at the name, I was expecting some type of dessert beer). I think the currants smooth out the ginger, making a very drinkable beverage. I paired it with a roast pork sammich, with au jus, sharp prov, broccoli rabe, and long hots. The Sixers game was on the telly, it was fun chatting with the bartenders in their Sixers T-shirts. (As a Hinkie Truther, I like the "Hinkie Died For Your Sins" one).

http://www.breweriesinpa.com/hinkies...irley-temples/

Trust the process!

This looks/sounds/reads familiar. :D

Welcome back!
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 9th, 2017, 10:20 pm

2XMAS-Southern Tier Brewing Company

Spiced double ale.

Double what? :-?

This was a trader from dpslaw at the GT tailgate and I intended to wait until the Christmas season to celebrate and sip it and Thursday night sounded about right.

Thanks!

Pour was a golden-amber with a small, tan head. Smells like cold, spiced cider. Tastes of dark caramel, cinnamon and cloves with a pinch of ginger and a few orange peel shavings. They claim they also added fig paste and cardamom but not sure I'd ever guess that. No IBUs revealed but I'll guess 30. The ABV is 8% so I guess this most closely fits in the imperial amber ale category, if one exists . Pairing? Why some figgy pudding sounds perfect. So bring me some right now! I'd have a slice of fruitcake with this, too.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 11th, 2017, 7:34 pm

Thunderstruck-Highland Brewing Company

Drink regional!

The last of my November litter from beer club.

This coffee porter poured from a 12 ounce bottle is an opaque mahogany and one of the darker porters I've ever viewed. Tough time believing this is actually beer as the nose is rich, cold press coffee. Iced coffee tastes? You betcha! Organic fair trade coffee added and the chocolate malt and Midnight wh*at (sorry, still trying to stay gluten free) used in brewing lend further espresso notes plus some dark chocolate. Mouthfeel is slightly bitter but quite smooth. I'll guess IBUs about 40 and the ABV is 5.8% (I think-the bottle is downstairs ). I'm sipping before dinner but wishing I had some prime rib, beef brisket or ribs with this along with some smashed potatoes and steamed green beans. A caramel chocolate chip brownie would be nice, too. High quality brew.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 11th, 2017, 10:24 pm

Cold Mountain-Highland Brewing Company

Drink regional!

Our part-time nurse (Duke-N'77) bought a Christmas bag of gifts/snacks today and Mrs. dd and I will get to share 3 hunks of gourmet cheeses. She got a California Pinot Gris and I got a bomber of the above. Winners all around!

It's obviously their winter ale and it's been a couple years since I tried one. Half a bomber is in a pint glass now and the bottle will be drained tomorrow evening. Color is a dark copper-amber with a moderate, foamy head. Aromas of toasted grains, winter spices and nuts fill the air. Tastes of vanilla, brown sugar-glazed nuts (hazelnuts?) and cranberries (?) coat the tongue along with some herbal, earthy bitterness. IBUs listed at 28 and ABV is 5.9%. Might be tasty with some oatmeal raisin cookies or a hunk of fruitcake. I'm not sure this is any better/worse than versions I've had in the last 5-10 years but the Asheville folks who taste this every year might differ. I must make it out to Highlands some November for the release party so I can try the hundreds ( 8-|) of draft variations reportedly available on that day only.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 12th, 2017, 10:39 pm

Topless Wytch-Three Floyds Brewing

A Baltic porter as he reviewed and we discussed a few days ago.

Poured half a bomber tonight into a standard pint glass and will finish the remainder tomorrow. Dark, dark brown appearance with a large, foamy, tan head. Stuff smells like baker's chocolate, molasses, coffee and licorice. Tastes pretty similar to the scents but the chocolate has a bit of sweetness to it and there are some dark, dried fruity tastes, too. IBUs are 65, somewhat higher than expected. ABV is 9%, also higher than I would have guessed. Glad I looked up some advanced stats on this even though I had no intention of polishing off the entire 22 ounces tonight. This is a big beer and would make a nice dessert or a fine pairing with a molten chocolate cake or some oatmeal, chocolate chip cookies. I'm not sure I'd buy another but tonight's sipping is very favorable.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 16th, 2017, 11:29 pm

Xocoveza-Stone Brewing

Davekay better be right on this one...

Pour was a dark brown with a creamy, tan head. Nose of cocoa, coffee and spices. First taste was at devildeac garage, err, storage facility temperature, which was about 50 degrees today. Tastes like a cold hot chocolate coffee. Cinnamon and nutmeg are the first 2 spices, with a bit of a vanilla finish. I'm waiting for the pasilla peppers to kick in but not at this temperature. More coffee and cocoa flavors as it warmed over about 30 minutes with a bit more vanilla as it approached room temperature of about 66 degrees. Now, there's some heat. It's very subtle and doesn't burn and is more warming than the fiery that I've tasted before with habaneros. It's an imperial stout with pretty standard IBUs at 50 but the ABV as a bit on the low side for the style at 8.1%. I think this was about $13-14 for the 6er with a 10% off Total Wine coupon and very much worth the price. This would be fine with a spice/rubbed brisket or prime rib and I'd be very happy to have it with/for dessert, too.

Ymm, Beer and davekay strike again as I don't think I'd have chosen this without his review a few months ago. Thanks!
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 17th, 2017, 2:03 pm

Honey Orange Tripel-New Belgium Brewing Company

From their Belgian Reserve series (news to me )

Picked up a 6er of this last month for about $12 with my 10% off Total Wine coupon.

Pour was a clear, orange-yellow with a generous, frothy but lacy head that lingered on my Ommegang tulip forever last PM. Seductive scents of honey and orange. Initial tastes were sweet, but not cloying, no surprise given the honey added in the brewing process. Very slight bitterness from the orange peel but actually more fruity/juicy than rindy. It's also mildly floral with a pinch of black pepper coming from the Belgian yeast. IBUs are 25 and the ABV is a deceptive 10%. This would make a dangerous aperitif with a plate of fresh fruit and soft cheeses. It'd also make a nice sipper with a fruit tart for dessert. Five remain for trading/sharing/gifting, but in reality, only 2-3 will be actually available as I'm sure I'll save a bottle or two for myself .
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 17th, 2017, 9:52 pm

Sour Monkey-Victory Brewing Company

Golden Monkey goes Brett!

They took their classic/true-to-style Belgian style tripel age and aged it with brettanomyces yeast.

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into my large, lovely Ommegang tulip with a small, fizzy head and a gold-yellow hue. There's a bit of funk in the nose but mostly lemon and orange. Tastes are very slightly cloying (guessing there's some Belgian candi sugar used) with a noticeable Sour Patch Kids lemon-orange zip, some honey (not added) and a tiny sprinkle of black pepper that pretty typical of a Belgian golden/tripel ale. No mussels for me but I'd happily sip another one of these with some sweet and sour chicken or shrimp. I'll guess IBUs about 20 and the ABV is a seductive and dangerous 9.5%. There's 5 remaining from my 6er that was about $12 with my 10% off Total Wine coupon. What to do, what to do?
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 18th, 2017, 8:02 pm

St. Benedict's Dubbel Coconut Curry (draft)-Haw River Farmhouse Ale/Brewing

Beer is always better with family and/or friends.

Enjoyed yet another good beer tasting/trading with fuse about an hour ago and this was a 2 ounce taster.

Pour was a dark brown with a large, foamy tan head. Aromas of milk chocolate and coconut but no almonds . Matching tastes with some dried, dark fruits and very subtle curry/heat at the finish of my small sample. I'll guess IBUs about 30 based on the style and the ABV is the usual 7.2%. This would pair well with a mild lamb or chicken curry dish.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 18th, 2017, 8:09 pm

Mille Fleur Prickly Pear (draft)-Haw River Farmhouse Ales/Brewing

This was a real purchase :ymblushing: .

Very pretty ruby-orange hue with a small head. Nose of apples and light citrus. Tastes of pear (yea, I know it's not a pear but a member of the cactus family ), apple and a squeeze of lemon (added) and a twist of lemon rind. It's their standard saison with the prickly pear and lemon zest added. I'll guess IBUs about 20 and the ABV was on the electronic chalk board at 5.8%. Serve with a plate of soft cheeses and fruit.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 18th, 2017, 8:20 pm

Santa's Cookies (draft)-Champion Brewing Company

Another real beer purchase .

Labeled on the draft board as a spiced, imperial stout, I think the old, fat, bearded dude would be pleased to see a can of this at the fireplace/kitchen table at your house in a week.

Pour was a dark, dark brown with a small, tan head. Nose of Christmas spices. Fuse guessed cinnamon. I guessed nutmeg. Shows you how refined our palates aren't as the website lists ginger and cardamom . Tastes are heavily roasted grains, milk chocolate/cocoa, a splash of coffee and more spices, but I'm not guessing anymore . IBUs listed at 45 and the ABV was a warming 8%. Serve with a plate of oatmeal chocolate chip cookies, with or without raisins. I think Tripping William needs to visit this brewery in Hooville or we need to have duketaylor drop by their Richmond location and gain a couple more perspectives of their offerings .
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 19th, 2017, 10:24 pm

Double 00 Session-Sun King and Revolution Brewing Collaboration

Drink local! (Or, maybe buy local and bring it home to drink.)

A very interesting session IPA collaboration with the Indianapolis and Chicago-based breweries.

Pour was a light, golden-yellow with light citrus scents. Tastes matched the nose with some orange, grapefruit and Juicy Fruit flavors with very mild hop bitterness and a bit of caramel sweetness. With IBUs of 42 and the ABV at 4.7%, this tasty 12 ounces disappeared pretty quickly after a long work day today. Fuse got 3 of these, our son will see 1 or 2 in his Christmas stocking and I'll gladly sip the remainder. Would pair nicely with a turkey and provolone sandwich.

Luburch gets the high fives for putting this brewery at the top of his Indianapolis list as we greatly enjoyed our two samplers of 6 beers each the night before our niece's wedding AND brought home a nice assortment of their standard beers.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 19th, 2017, 10:33 pm

Osiris-Sun King Brewery

Wait a minute. Did I drink an IPA before a PA? WTH?

Well, this is labeled as a West Coast-style pale ale, it had higher IBUs (50) and ABV (5.6%) than the session IPA so I guess it makes sense .

Pour from a pint can was a light, bronze-yellow with a small head. Nose of stone fruits and tastes of peach, mango with a bit of pine/resin, but not unpleasantly so. There's a hint of malty/grainy sweetness. This would also be happy with a deli sammich and might even have a bigger smile if served with some 'cue or brisket. Packaging was a 4 pack of 16 ounce cans with fuse getting 2, I got the third and our son will likely get the last of the litter in his Christmas 6er or assorted 12 pack.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » December 22nd, 2017, 12:01 pm

Not that I think about work a lot, but I am drinking something called "The Guilty Party." :9f:

The Rev. LG thinks it's less hoppy than I do. I will let you know how it goes with a burger.
Iron Duke #1471997.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 22nd, 2017, 12:18 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:Not that I think about work a lot, but I am drinking something called "The Guilty Party." :9f:

The Rev. LG thinks it's less hoppy than I do. I will let you know how it goes with a burger.
Great name for a beer.

I'm anxiously awaiting your reviews on Wisconsin Belgian Red and Serendipity over the holidays, either/both of which would likely make wonderful beers with appetizers, entrees and/or desserts.

:-w :-w