Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by devildeac » November 25th, 2017, 10:43 pm

Foxy Jam Pants-Sun King Brewing

I don't make up these names. Really.

Orange-yellow pour with a small head. A bit more balance on the pine/resin/citrus/tropical continuum. IBUs of 70 and ABV at 7%.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 25th, 2017, 10:46 pm

Timmie-Sun King Brewing

Dark, dark brown pour-almost black. Thin, creamy tan head. Lots of dark chocolate and coffee with this sample but neither were added. I thought most of thibitterness came from the heavily roasted grains but the IBUs were 80 so there's a ton of hops in this one. Pretty balanced at 9.2% ABV, pretty standard for an imperial stout.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 25th, 2017, 10:50 pm

Timmie on Nitro-Sun King Brewing

Always fun to find two versions of the same beer, especially cask-conditioned/nitro. The only differences I could tell were this one was smoother/silkier and had a larger, thicker and more foamy head.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 25th, 2017, 10:55 pm

Balaton Busey- Sun King Brewing

A wonderful brew, probably my 2nd favorite of the night.

Oud Bruin style meaning it was a sour/tart brown ale that was a brilliant ruby-amber hue. No head. Vinous nose with tastes of red wine vinegar, cranberries, cherries, lactic acid and some lemon. IBUs of 23 with the ABV at 6.9%.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 25th, 2017, 11:06 pm

Rum Barrel Aged Caramel Apple Tripel-Sun King

My winner out of the 12 our younger son-in-law and I tasted last PM.

Pour was a light orange-amber with no head. Nose of brown sugar/syrup. Tastes of NC State Fair caramel-covered Granny Smith apples along with orange, clove and finishing with rum and lightly toasted fresh coconut. Very comparable to the Mother Earth Tripel Overhead but with rummy flavors instead of bourbon. IBUs at 30 and the ABV was a frightening and dangerous 13.2%. I think I could have added a snifter of this after our two 6 beer samplers and sipped for another hour but discretion had several more votes than my taste buds :o:rolleyes:.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 28th, 2017, 8:43 pm

Framboise-Brouwerij Lindemans

A world classic lambic ale.

Poured from a ($14-paid for by our dinner hosts #:-s ) 12 ounce bottle as an aperitif on Saturday evening after the wedding and reception and at a private dinner that evening. Appearance was dark ruby with a pink, foamy head. Amazing raspberry nose with tart/sour raspberry jam flavors following, along with a hint of sour, some funk, a drizzle of caramel and a lot more syrupy sweetness. My WAG for IBUs would be 20 and the ABV, which I would have guessed at 5% is listed on the Lindemans' website as an astoundingly low 2.5%. I could drink 12 of these ! Could accompany a fruit plate before dinner or a slice of plain cheesecake afterwards. The New Glarus Raspberry Tart would give this some serious competition but this is a world class ale.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 28th, 2017, 8:53 pm

Chimay Première (aka Chimay Red/Chimay Rouge)-Brasserie de Chimay

Another world class Trappist ale.

Poured from a ($16 ; again, paid for by our hosts) 33cl bottle into a snifter. Appearance was a cloudy dark amber with hints of ruby. Moderate, fizzy head with a herbal, earthy nose and tastes of raisins, dates, figs, brown sugar, a pinch of black pepper and whole grain crackers, all pretty much expected based on the classic Belgian dubbel style. Another WAG for the IBUs would be 30 and the ABV is confirmed from multiple KenPom sources at 7%. This made a nice pairing with my Caesar salad, grilled monkfish, truffled/mashed potatoes and steamed vegetable medley. My wife also shared about 10 grams () of her succulent filet mignon with me and it also matched well with the ale.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 28th, 2017, 9:06 pm

Gorch Fock-Three Floyds Brewing

(Can I really type that name here ?)

A helles lager? You can't be serious! From Three Floyds?

Pour of half a bomber into a pint glass appeared a straw-yellow color with a small, fizzy head. Floral nose with flowery, sweet, malty and very mildly bitter Euro hops tastes. IBUs were 25 and ABV was 5%, both of which must be all-time Three Floyds low measurements . This would be wonderful with a roasted turkey and Havarti sandwich with a thin swipe of aioli on toasted, whole grain bread (I simply can't bring myself to type wh*at ).
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 30th, 2017, 10:57 pm

Floy Division III-Three Floyds Brewing

Brewed on 9/27/17.

Their 3rd selection from their experimental hops series of IPAs.

Half a bomber pour tonight appeared straw-colored with a moderate foamy head. Aromas of papaya, mango and melons. Mildly herbal tastes to accompany the other flavors of cantaloupe, mango, papaya, pineapple and hints of wood. I'd have never thought the IBUs were 85 and would have guessed about 60 based on the tropical and fruity nose and flavors. ABV listed at 7.5% so upper normal range for an IPA. This would be interesting with spicy/hot entrees as it would be with sweet and sour/fruity ones.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 1st, 2017, 11:45 pm

Broo Doo-Three Floyds Brewing

Bottled on 10/2/17. Glad I didn't wait any longer on this one.

Poured half a bomber tonight. Will finish tomorrow.

Color was apricot with a moderate, foamy head. Oh, my, what a juicy nose! I got orange, apricot, pineapple and maybe some mango aromas. Chewy and oily mouthfeel, exactly what a fresh/wet/"green" hop ale should be. Tastes were tropical and citrus, a bit of pine and some toffee. I wouldn't have guessed the IBUs were 80 for this. ABV is 7%. It's listed as a Harvest Ale but fits very nicely into the IPA category. Would pair well with deli sammiches or grilled fare. I'm really tempted to knock off the rest of the bomber tonight but will exercise some restraint
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 3rd, 2017, 9:32 pm

Winter White Ale-Bell's Brewery

We attended a Christmas/engagement party at some friend's house last PM and this was one of their selections along with the Lagunitas IPA. I only had the Bell's as Mrs. dd doesn't like night driving and I had a bomber to finish at home, plus, the food/dessert spread was quite filling .

Pour was a cloudy orange-yellow-straw with a generous head. Cirtusy nose and the expected orange and coriander tastes from what's basically a whiner wheat ale. Pretty mild bitterness (remember, Bell's never quotes IBUs), guessing 20. ABV on the label was 5% so I had plenty of liver cells remaining a couple hours later when we arrived home.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 3rd, 2017, 9:55 pm

Esther-Platform Beer Company

Bought a 6er of 12 ounce cans on our November trip to Columbus, Ohio and divided with fuse. I finally beat him to a review.

Labeled a Belgian Christmas ale, it was a dark red-brown pour with a moderate creamy head. Aromas of dark, dried fruits and tastes of plums, cherries, dates, figs, raisins, brown sugar and rum (not barrel-aged). No IBUs to be found so I'll guess 30 based on the fact it most closely resembles a strong ale and not a dubbel, triple or quad. ABV is a very sneaky 9.5%. Pair with a slice of pecan pie or a thick slice of nutty fruitcake (yes, I like them ). Label with the ingredients:

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 3rd, 2017, 10:34 pm

devildeac wrote:From 2/24/17:
devildeac wrote:Bodhi (draft)-Columbus Brewing Company

Limited availability IIPA with apparent ticketed bottle sales only at the brewery. Our son and I shared pints of this and Head Hunter, the best IPA in Ohio from Tripping William's link above. Interesting that he liked the Bodhi better and I preferred the Head Hunter, but not by much.

There was a bit of a chill haze to the gold-yellow pint of ale with a small, meringue-like head. Pungent tropical fruits up front, followed by mango, papaya, pineapple, grapefruit and a drop of pine on the palate. Somewhat surprisingly, really well-balanced with IBUs of 90 (can't remember where I read this but their website is a bit difficult to negotiate), with ABV at 8%. Very nice pairing with some Cajun chicken, dirty rice with sausage and bacon and a side of fire-roasted corn at Winking Lizard Tavern. If I find a 4 pack of this over the weekend, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.
From tonight:

Bodhi-Columbus Brewing Company

Guess what I found in Columbus?

Pretty comparable to the draft. Perhaps a bit less pungent but still very fresh from a 12 ounce bottle dated 2/20/17. ABV a wee bit higher at 8.3% in the bottle version. Not so limited any more as I think they had a large number of cases at the Kenny Road Market when we visited 6 weeks ago. Looking forward to fuse's review of this...
From tonight's the night:

Bodhi (2017)-Columbus Brewing Company

When Creeper is not available...

Pour was a brilliant yellow with a creamy head. Orange and grapefruit nose and tastes mirrored the aromas. I think the IBUs are about 80 and the ABV is still 8.3% and it's nicely balanced. Nightcap beverage with some pimento cheese and sea salt crackers (not gluten free ). Worth another purchase of another 4 pack last month, especially for sharing.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 3rd, 2017, 11:00 pm

Shadowed Mistress-Zaftig Brewing Company

Drink local! (Well, at least drink what was brewed locally when you buy it, even it you transport it 490 miles to home and drink it several weeks later )

Pour was a dark, dark brown resembling a porter more than a brown ale. Totally agree with the smoke and oranges description, both up front and on the palate. Almost tasted like grilled/slightly burned orange rinds or unsweetened dark chocolate-dipped orange jellied candies that were dusted with coffee beans. I might put this in the imperial black IPA category, if such a grouping exists. Moderately bitter, guessing IBUs about 60-70 and the ABV on the bottle is 9% but, according to their website, the draft is 10%. I could imagine this with half a rack of coffee-rubbed ribs or brisket, some smashed or twice-baked potatoes (double bacon, please) and some grilled green beans or broccoli.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 4th, 2017, 8:44 pm

Standard (draft)-Prairie Artisan Ales

Part of a 3 beer flight at the DoG Street Pub.

Pour was a mildly cloudy straw-yellow with a small head. Nose of pears and apples with tastes to match with a pinch of black pepper and a bit of straw. Not much bitterness here as it's a saison so I'll guess 20. ABV was 5.6% and it was pleasant to sip with an iceberg wedge, bacon, grape tomatoes, pumpernickel croutons and blue cheese dressing and a few stolen bites of my wife's baked chicken.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 4th, 2017, 9:39 pm

New England IPA (draft)-Trapezium Brewing Company

Drink regional! Well, at least nearby as we're in Williamsburg for a conference and this was part of a 3 beer sampler for $6.

Pour was an orange-yellow with a small head. Aromas of orange and grapefruit with tastes following the same theme. There's a hint of pine/resin but this was still pretty juicy with a mild, malty backbone. I'll guess IBUs about 60 and the menu quoted the ABV at 6.5%. Nice follow-up beer to the Prairie saison with my salad and a few stolen bites of Mrs. dd's entree.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 4th, 2017, 9:59 pm

Fun Old Fashioned Family Christmas Ale (draft)-Alewerks Brewing Company

Yes, that's really the beer's name based on what was printed on the beverage menu this evening.

The 5 ounce taster was dark brown with hints of ruby. Scents of a (cold) mulled/spiced cider with orange and nutmeg. Pretty smooth and creamy mouth feel with some cinnamon and vanilla (both added) and maybe some cocoa, milk chocolate and coffee from the porter-like style in which it was brewed. I'll venture about 30 IBUs and the ABV was 7.3%, in line with the winter warmer style as it was listed on the menu. This would have been good with a slice of pecan pie or some bread pudding.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 5th, 2017, 11:20 pm

I.B.S.*-Zaftig Brewing Company

*I Believe in Santa

This was a chance grab of a 4 pack (shared with fuse) during our Columbus, Ohio visit last month and ended up being a rather pleasant selection.

Pour from a 12 ounce bottle was a dark brown with hints of ruby with a small, tan head. Chocolate and coffee (neither added) were first olfactory sensations, followed by fruit and burnt, dark caramel. Mouthfeel was silky smooth and tastes were cinnamon, vanilla and mildly bitter orange (all added) along with the expected milk chocolate, a splash of java and dark caramel. It's labeled as a holiday porter so all the aromas, additives and taste make sense. No IBUs listed so I'll guess 40. The ABV is 10% so it's really an imperial porter. This was dessert last PM. No brownies, cookies or cakes. Just a well made dark ale.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 6th, 2017, 10:29 pm

Winter Lager-The Boston Beer Company

Beer #4 from a trading session with August West at the GT tailgate. Thanks!

Me thinks it's the ubiquitous Boston Lager with cinnamon, ginger and orange peel added .

Pour was a light amber with a small head. Nose as expected. Tastes like it reads, too. Cinnamon and orange are more pronounced than the ginger which is somewhat subdued. There's some mild caramel and dark breadiness, too. IBUs are 22 and the ABV was 5.6% and I enjoyed it with half a sub tonight. Wouldn't buy a 6er of it but it was a pleasant winter beverage.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 7th, 2017, 5:10 pm

Old Fezziwig Ale-The Boston Beer Company

On the 6th day of Christmas (last PM), our tailgate gave to me...

I'll bet it's been a decade or more since I sipped one of these and this one was courtesy of August West. Thanks!

Pour was a dark bronze with a small head. This is an ale, not a lager. Similar nose to the Boston, err, Winter Lager, with cinnamon and orange but the tastes were fuller and richer with a bit more caramel flavor. Ginger scents and flavors remain subdued. I think the IBUs were 29 and the ABV was 5.9%, so little difference in the stats. This was tasty by itself but it would also be at home alongside some spice cookies or oatmeal raisin (chocolate chip) cookies.