Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor
PWing School Assistant Professor

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by DukeUsul » August 13th, 2009, 10:15 am

ArkieDukie wrote:
DA makes a very good point here: you don't always click with the person you interview with. That's true from the interviewer end as well. Hopefully all your interviews will go as well as your Wake interview.
That reminds me of a good interview story. I was interviewing college seniors at UNC for my company. I didn't tell many of them that I was a Duke grad. The next day, one of the strongest candidates emails me a thank you. As his PS he writes:
PS-Please don't let the fact that you're working in Durham lead you to the dark side of becoming a Duke fan.
He was a really good guy and a great candidate, so in no way was I going to let that affect my recommendation on him. My email reply in its entirety was:
Oh Tyler, the subject never came up: I'm a Duke grad, class of 1999.
:)
I just left it at that to see how he'd respond. He replied two minutes later in scramble mode to be nice:
Ahh, I suppose I put my foot in my mouth there. If it makes it any better, I took a class there my junior year that was excellent and I have several close friends here in DC who went to Duke, so we rib each other incessantly. I guess I should be thanking you then for overcoming your disdain for the Tar Heels to come meet with us on Monday! Take care.
So make note for your interviews: never insult a school when you don't know where your interviewer went.
-- DukeUsul
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » August 13th, 2009, 11:02 am

ArkieDukie wrote:It would also be fun (and closer) to go to the Duke-Kansas game.
I have an extra ticket if you head this way.
Life is good!
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 13th, 2009, 12:31 pm

I have finally witnessed the Google[bot] in the list of those online. Now if I can just find bigfoot...
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
DukePA
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by DukePA » August 13th, 2009, 12:41 pm

CellR wrote:So my Wake Forest interview seemed to be a success!

It started off pretty normal, my interviewer was the Associate Director of Admissions as well as an Adjunct Professor of Religion. I didn't know about the religion part until afterwards, luckily I said a good deal about my faith during the interview though!

For a good portion of the thirty minute interview we talked about my Haiti experiences (10-15 minutes) and what led me there, as well as why I find service to be such an important thing. I told her about my senior research project about child slaves - "Restavecs" - and the way that my interview with Famela, the child slave, shaped my views about poverty, slavery, society, and the need to help others. I don't know if any of you read the blog that I kept during my trip to Haiti over Christmas break, but if anybody is interested I can post the link. She asked about my academic interests which I answered that I really enjoy History, English, and Science - but most of all, Biology.

She seemed extremely interested that even though my dad is a doctor I still support Healthcare. I think I made it pretty clear that the wellbeing of thousands of other people is more important to me than nice clothes or an extra T.V.

When I asked about studying abroad she told me that her son is in Vietnam right now building a school in the same village that his father bombed in 1969. That's incredible.

Overall, I came away with a very positive feeling of the interview, which was much more than I had hoped for! Thanks for the suggestions and helpful hints. (That was my first real interview) Oh, and afterwards when I was leaving, she said: "Talking to you gives me hope for your generation." :D :D :D :-bd

P.S. Thank you ArkieDukie for telling me to read the newspaper :D She didn't ask a specific question about that morning's paper, but it helped me a lot with current events. I've been out of the loop this summer due to working at camp!
You rock!! I am so proud to be one your fellow CrazieTalkers!! ^:)^ ^:)^
Bostondevil
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Bostondevil » August 13th, 2009, 2:34 pm

In scarf news, the yarn store near where I get me haircut was having their annual 40% off all yarns in stock one-day sale. AD and bb's scarves are well underway but I keep reimagining Tilly's. For at least the third time I've bought some pink yarn with Tilly's scarf in mind. This time though, I think it will stick. Hope you like it. And way back when I promised them in time for Christmas '09 so, actually, I'm right on schedule.

wilson, don't hold your breath, but Christmas '10 isn't out of the question.

In other scarf news, I have a friend at work who is moving to Germany to further her opera career. Her last day is tomorrow. I found out she was leaving last Wednesday. I issued myself the challenge of knitting a scarf in a week. She's getting a chunky yarn scarf with a very simple stitch pattern but I am nearly done. It's a varigated yarn, supersoft, big needles, but, horrors(!), it's a wool/acrylic blend. Yes, I'm a yarn snob, but I will admit, sometimes acrylic is just the thing.
The time is out of joint, O cursed spite!
Bostondevil

Post by Bostondevil » August 13th, 2009, 2:35 pm

I know what you're thinking. If I can knit a scarf in a week, what the heck is taking me so long with all the others.
Bostondevil

Post by Bostondevil » August 13th, 2009, 2:38 pm

1) Scarves are boring to knit. I have to have other projects going too or I'd just stop all together.

2) Chunky yarns that actually look good as scarves are rare, usually they look like someone was too lazy to knit you a nice scarf.

3) It's an acrylic blend people! The rest of you are getting the good stuff.
Bostondevil

Post by Bostondevil » August 13th, 2009, 2:39 pm

Shamm, this scarf has to go out the door too fast for me to do what I promised with it. Next time.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » August 13th, 2009, 2:55 pm

In the spirit of devildeac, I scheduled my colonoscopy today for 9/11. %-( %-( And at the same time, they check my prostate...

%-( %-(

\:D/ WOO HOO!!
\:D/
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » August 13th, 2009, 3:06 pm

Bostondevil wrote:1) Scarves are boring to knit. I have to have other projects going too or I'd just stop all together.

2) Chunky yarns that actually look good as scarves are rare, usually they look like someone was too lazy to knit you a nice scarf.

3) It's an acrylic blend people! The rest of you are getting the good stuff.
My wife crochets beautiful scarfs. I have one, as do my parents, my in laws, and my aunt. She likes crocheting cause the loops are bigger so it doesn't take as long, at least she says. ;) My kids and I also have afghans in our favorite colors. Mine is blue and white. ;)

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
Bostondevil

Post by Bostondevil » August 13th, 2009, 3:34 pm

Crocheting is indeed faster than knitting.

Compared to knitting

Advantages of crochet: Looks the same front/back, faster

Disdvantages: Uses more yarn. Drape. In something skinny like a scarf or something that isn't intended to be worn like an afghan, you won't notice it so much, but there is a stiffness to crocheted fabric that makes the craft less than ideal when making a sweater. (Think of those granny square vests from the 70s.)
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » August 13th, 2009, 3:37 pm

Bostondevil wrote:Crocheting is indeed faster than knitting.

Compared to knitting

Advantages of crochet: Looks the same front/back, faster

Disdvantages: Uses more yarn. Drape. In something skinny like a scarf or something that isn't intended to be worn like an afghan, you won't notice it so much, but there is a stiffness to crocheted fabric that makes the craft less than ideal when making a sweater. (Think of those granny square vests from the 70s.)
She's found this really soft yarn that doesn't seem stiff to me at all.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
Bostondevil

Post by Bostondevil » August 13th, 2009, 3:49 pm

It's not the yarn, it's the nature of the fabric that's created with crochet. There's a sturdiness to crocheted fabric that's great for many things, but sweaters tend to need more give. It's not that you can't do it, it's just that the types of designs (and the fit) are more limited with crochet. Did she make a sweater out of it?
Miles

Post by Miles » August 13th, 2009, 4:29 pm

Lavabe wrote:In the spirit of devildeac, I scheduled my colonoscopy today for 9/11. %-( %-( And at the same time, they check my prostate...

%-( %-(

Dinner and a movie with the doc on the tenth? #-o
sMiles
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 13th, 2009, 4:35 pm

Lavabe wrote:In the spirit of devildeac, I scheduled my colonoscopy today for 9/11. %-( %-( And at the same time, they check my prostate...

%-( %-(

Will we be getting an adventure thread? You get to recuperate by watching Duke beat up Army on TV.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 13th, 2009, 4:41 pm

%-( %-(

The prospect of colonoscopies and prostate exams makes me want to die at 49.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » August 13th, 2009, 4:54 pm

wilson wrote:

%-( %-(

No, dieing is much worse. MUCH WORSE. :-q
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 13th, 2009, 4:57 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
wilson wrote:

%-( %-(

No, dieing is much worse. MUCH WORSE. :-q
Which is worse: dying, or abysmal spelling? ;)
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » August 13th, 2009, 5:14 pm

wilson wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote: No, dieing is much worse. MUCH WORSE. :-q
To die is to lose life. To dye is to turn color, so how can dieing not be right? It doesn't trigger the spell checker on Firefox.
Di Di Anu, Di Di Anu, Di Di Anu, Di Anu Di A-nu!
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 13th, 2009, 5:18 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
wilson wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote: No, dieing is much worse. MUCH WORSE. :-q
To die is to lose life. To dye is to turn color, so how can dieing not be right? It doesn't trigger the spell checker on Firefox.
Di Di Anu, Di Di Anu, Di Di Anu, Di Anu Di A-nu!
Sorry dude, but "dieing" is just not a word. The proper spelling is "dying."

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/dieing
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/dying