Ymm, Beer!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by devildeac » November 19th, 2017, 2:57 pm

In no particular ranking order, the last 3 large format bottles were superb brews.

Bourbon Barrel Cru-Hardywood Craft Brewery

Many, many thanks to accfanfrom1970 for sharing a 750 ml of bottle of this elixir with us from his collection on his first ever Duke football visit!

Pour was a clear, orange-amber with a moderate, creamy tan head. It's a Belgian quadruple style Abbey ale so it had the expected aromas of dark, dried fruits and an amazing boozey nose. Mouthfeel was smooth and silky and tastes were raisins, dates, figs, dark cherries, dark brown sugar, table syrup and more warming bourbon. Flavors were even better as it warmed over 15-20 minutes of sipping. IBUs of 38 with a dangerously deceptive ABV of 12%. Paired nicely with ribs, gourmet baked beans (really), homemade slaw and a mixed green salad. Would also make an outstanding nightcap, sipping out of a snifter.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 19th, 2017, 7:28 pm

Ruse-Hardywood Craft Brewery

Another absolute gem of a beer, courtesy of accfansince1970 from tailgate. Thank you!

Best I can tell, it's from their "Pilot Batch" program of one-off brewings.

Labeled as an imperial milk stout aged in red wine barrels, it does indeed have many of the characteristics you'd expect with that moniker. Pour was black with a small tan head and nose was dark chocolate, molasses and red wine. Tastes were amazing and consisted of semi-sweet chocolate (the lactose-added part, making it a milk stout), a drop of coffee, dark, dried fruits, black strap molasses, booze (the imperial part) and a dry, port-like finish. Flavors enhanced as expected over the 15-20 minute sipping. We shared this 750 ml bottle among 4-5 people and all were highly pleased. No IBUs listed but I'll guess 50ish based on the style (heavily roasted grains) and the ABV was 11.3%. I could have nibbled an espresso fudge cup with this but was delighted to avoid the extra calories () and make it the finishing/dessert beer before heading into the game. No one else wanted any other high octane brews either after the 3 we just sampled.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 19th, 2017, 10:03 pm

Amber Bock-The Boston Beer Company

The name sounds frighteningly like the old AB/InBev product that was a Michelob derivative, IIRC.

This is part of the Sam Adams winter 12 pack and was trader #1 out of 5 from August West from tailgate. Thanks!

Pour was a light amber with a small head. Nose of medium brown toasted bread (gluten-free, of course ) with a bit of sweetness. Tastes were pretty mild and include toast, light brown sugar/caramel and herbal/earthy hops. IBUs of 18 and ABV was 6%. This was a bit "thin" for a bock and lacked some of the "breadiness" also typical for the style but made a nice pairing with some grilled salmon, steamed green beans and mashed sweet potatoes for dinner tonight.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 20th, 2017, 9:22 pm

From 10/19/13:
devildeac wrote:Chocolate Bock (circa 2011)-Boston Beer Company

Another bottle lifted from my BIL's 'fridge last PM and enjoyed as my dessert. This brew was originally marketed in 750 ml bottles and then re-packaged in 12 ounce aliquots as part of a winter seasonal 12 pack, IIRC. Poured a mahogany hue with a small head and rich aromas of cocoa as it is brewed with/on dark Ecuadorian chocolate nibs. Prominent bready/biscuit-y notes here, too. In fact, think of a chocolate croissant that has been toasted to a dark brown but not quite burned. The warmer the brew got over the 20 minutes I sipped it, the more luscious the tastes became. I suspect you might find this soon in the onslaught of winter samplers invading your grocery store/specialty shop shelves, along with their winter porter, Old Fezziwig, a winter ale and, of course, the obligatory inclusion of two bottles of their omnipresent Boston Lager.
From tonight:

Chocolate Bock-The Boston Beer Company

August West was kind enough to share/trade a 12 ounce bottle from his winter sampler 12 pack on Saturday. Thanks!

I don't think they've changed this much, if any. This year, I thought more of milk chocolate covered caramels but the impressions are pretty similar. IBUs of 11 with an ABV of 5.8%. This would be darned good by itself as a dessert/after dinner drink or would pair very well with oatmeal raisin (chocolate chip) cookies or a gooey caramel chocolate chocolate chip/chunk brownie. At an estimated $13-14 for the 12 pack (I'm guessing), this assortment of beers is off to a good start and I'm looking forward to the next 3, likely next week. Plus, I hope AW enjoys those obligatory Boston Lagers he didn't include with his traders :)) .
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 22nd, 2017, 10:04 pm

Oatmeal Stout-The Boston Beer Company

Nothing fancy here. Heavily roasted grains with oatmeal added for smoothness. Dark mahogany pour with a moderate, foamy tan head. Aromas of milk chocolate and medium roast coffee (neither added) with a silky mouthfeel and chocolate-espresso tastes along with some dark caramel. IBUs at 25 are a bit low. ABV is 5.5%. Not the perfect pairing with a garden salad with turkey, bacon and colby cheese but a nice one nonetheless.

A very solid brew with thanks to August West for trading/sharing on Saturday.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 22nd, 2017, 11:38 pm

Beard Crumbs-Land Grand Brewing Company

Buy local/drink at home!

This is supposed to be somewhat of a legendary beer (from about 2014 anyway) in Columbus, Ohio so I took a chance buying a 6er of cans while visiting our son and his wife two weekends ago and I'm not disappointed and I hope fuse isn't either when he samples his allotment .

Pour from the 12 ounce can was a dark, dark brown with a tan, creamy head. Enticing aromas of mild chocolate, coffee and dark fruit. Pretty smooth on the palate with tastes of milk chocolate, medium roast coffee, dark caramel and dark, dried fruits (caramelized raisins are added). There some heavily roasted grainy bitterness with IBUs of 42 and the ABV is 7.3% so not quite an imperial stout but on the potent end for a regular stout. The ingredients (from their website):

HOPS: COLUMBUS / TOMAHAWK, GOLDINGS, EAST KENT
MALTS: 2 ROW, CARAMEL MALT, FLAKED OATS, ROASTED BARLEY, MIDNIGHT WHEAT
INGREDIENTS: CARAMELIZED RAISINS

Good for dessert, a nightcap or a beverage to accompany a dessert such as a brownie or an oatmeal (chocolate chip) raisin cookie. Leave a can of this on the dinner table for Santa on Christmas eve and see if you are richly rewarded in the AM.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 24th, 2017, 10:43 pm

Benevolent Belgian Blond (draft)-St. Joseph Brewery and Public House

Drink local with a tip of the many sample glasses to luburch for his reviews/suggestions last month!

Pour was a clear, light yellow with a small head. Floral aromas with light flavors of toasted English muffin, some light brown sugar and mild Euro hop bitterness. I'll guess IBUs of 20 and the ABV was on the menu at 6.2%.

This and the next 7 beers were paired with a garden salad with bleu cheese crumbles and a pale ale vinaigrette dressing, plus a large plate of smoked brisket topped poutine, both shared.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 24th, 2017, 10:46 pm

St.Nicks Baltic Porter (draft)-St. Joseph Brewery and Public House

Dark brown appearance with a small, creamy tan head. Heavily roasted, grainy nose with tastes of pumpernickel bread, coffee, milk chocolate and molasses. Estimated IBU of 30 and ABV was 7.3%.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 24th, 2017, 10:53 pm

Popemeal Oat Stout (draft)-St. Joseph Brewery and Public House

Almost black appearance with a small, foamy, beige head. Dark, toasted bread aromas with chocolate and coffee flavors with a smooth mouthfeel from the oats added to the other grains. I'll guess 40 IBUs and the ABV was 6%. This and the baltic porter were solid beverages with the smoked brisket poutine.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 24th, 2017, 10:58 pm

Descendant Belgian Dubbel (draft)-St. Joseph Brewery and Public House

Fourth beer from my sampler consisting of four 5 ounce pours.

Slightly cloudy, medium brown hue with a thin head. Expected aromas of dark, dried fruits with raisins, dates, figs, medium brown sugar and a squirt of caramel on the palate. Mild herbal, earthy hop bitterness, guessing IBUs around 30 with the ABV at 7.1%.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 25th, 2017, 10:25 am

Resuming my St Joseph reviews from yesterday with the following four beers I "stole" tastings from our younger son-in-law:

Cornerstone Koelsch (draft)-St Joseph Brewery and Public House

(koelsch cuz I'm too lazy to find the umlauted version )

Light straw color with little head. Floral nose with apple, pear and flowery tastes. I'll guess IBUs of 10 and ABV was 5%. Good pairing with our salad but a bit overpowered by the poutine.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 25th, 2017, 10:31 am

Christmas Carol Copper (draft)-St Joseph Brewery and Public House

One does not find many copper ales, which remind me of what an offspring might be like after the blending of red and amber ales. Or, perhaps closer to the English ESB style ale. Copper color (brilliant stuff, there dd) with a small head. Pretty earthy and herbal (not those kind of herbs ) scents with 12 grain bready, toasty and caramel-y tastes. Mild bitterness, guessing 30 IBUs with the ABV at 5.2%. Good pairing with the salad and the poutine.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 25th, 2017, 10:44 am

Final "stolen" tasting:

3rd Circle Chocolate Stout (draft)-St. Joseph Brewery and Public House

Dark, dark brown pour with a small, creamy beige head. Seductive aromas of heavily roasted grains, milk chocolate and coffee. Tasting notes more of cocoa (added) and dark fruits and less coffee (not added). Bitterness emanates from the "burned" grains, guessing 40 IBUs with the ABV at 5.4%. Worthy to sip with dinner or for a dessert.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 25th, 2017, 11:11 am

An even dozen drafts tasted at Sun King last PM.

Sunlight-Sun King Brewing

Light yellow pour with a small head Aromas of hay, flowers and light Karo syrup with tastes to match. Labeled as a cream ale, our younger son-in-law thought it better than Spotted Cow! Outrageous? It was pretty tasty with IBUs of 20 and ABV at 5.3%. No food pairings-these were all after dinner tastings.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 25th, 2017, 11:14 am

Pachanga-Sun King

A Mexican lager, somewhat trendy in the craft beer industry. Pale straw color with a bit of corn syrup on the nose and palate along with Euro type hops and grains. Very mild but not flavorless. IBUs of 24 and ABV was 4.2%. Would be nice to side-by-side this with the Oskar Blues' Beerito or others of the style.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 25th, 2017, 11:41 am

Cowbell-Sun King Brewing

A milk porter. What's that? It's a standard porter with the expected milk chocolate-y, coffee, nutty aromas and flavors to which lactose has been added for a bit of sweetness. Pour was dark brown with a creamy, tan head. Tastes and scents above with very mild bitterness at 23 IBUs with a standard ABV of 5.4%. A fine evening/dessert beer. After this tasting, one could easily say, "Need more cowbell." (groan) But, we're not finished yet...
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 25th, 2017, 11:45 am

Flannel Mist-Sun King Brewing

Kinda all over the place here with our styles/IBUs/ABV and tasting "order."

A Belgian style quad checking in here with IBUs of 24 and a stunning ABV of 10.7%, both as expected for the style. Appearance was dark brown-standard. Nose was syrup and dark, dried fruits-standard. Tastes were raisins, dates, figs, brown sugar and rummy-all standard again. Liquid dessert or perhaps a small snifter to accompany a caramel/chocolate dessert.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 25th, 2017, 12:06 pm

Cranberry Flanders-Sun King

A sour/tart cranberry Oud Bruin/Belgian style ale? Yes, please, may I have another!

Clean and clear red-brown color with a tart/sour nose and cranberry tart/sour tastes to match. There's some lactic acid/red wine vinegar here, too, along with some additional berry tastes. IBUs of 23 and ABV was 6.8%. If we had more time and hepatocytes, I'd have ordered another half pint of this and the Oud Bruin (review to follow tonight) and played the beer blending/cocktail game. Delicious offering.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 25th, 2017, 12:08 pm

Wet Hopped and Sticky-Sun King Brewing

A Juicyfruit Gum pale ale. Pungent aromas of freshly squeezed citrus fruits and chewy, oily tastes to match. I'd have preferred a bit less resin/pine but this was still pretty fruity. IBUs of 30 and ABV of 4.8%.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 25th, 2017, 10:39 pm

Test IPA #1-Sun King Brewing

Yellow-orange pour with a small head. Moderate amount of pine and resin but pretty grapefruity, too, on the nose and palate. IBUs of 72 and ABV at 6% so a bit unbalanced but it tasted a tad less bitter than the next one.