Ymm, Beer!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by devildeac » August 5th, 2017, 3:34 pm

Imperial Hop, Drop 'n Roll (draft)-NoDa Brewing

They finally did it, turning a borderline IPA into an IIPA.

Pour is a light, yellow-bronze with no head with the same oldfactory temptations as HDNR, only stronger. More citrus and tropical notes from the top throughout the tasting. There's pineapple, orange, mango and a bit of resin. This is certainly more boozy, based on mouthfeel and on the stats sheet. More bitter, too, but still reasonable balanced. What are the metrics? IBUs of 119 (no typo) and ABV of 10% but I'd have thought 90ish on the IBUs and perhaps 11% ABV after my sipping. Pairings? Perhaps some spicy entree or even just a clean snifter. If they ever package this, I'd guess $20 for a 4 pack as the standard octane HDNR is about $14 for the 4 pack of 16 ounce cans. Not sure it'd be worth that but I'd split a litter with someone and certainly was not ready or willing to drop $30 on a growler unless it was a family or tailgate affair to share 4-6 ways.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 6th, 2017, 11:02 pm

The Abyss (bottled on 12/9/16)-Deschutes Brewery

New year, new aging sources, with this version finding time to reside in Scotch or brandy barrels for 12 months. This bottle from last week, divided over 2 nights, was the Scotch barrel-aged version. I've sat on the review for over a week now as the thoughts and tastes have been intimidating.

Pour was oily, viscous and pitch black with no head into a snifter. Pretty complex aromas of the expected dark fruits, accompanying semi-sweet chocolate, espresso and molasses. Tastes were pretty similar with some wood, hints of licorice, smoke and some vanilla. Overall, pretty difficult to describe. There's a lot of booziness here, too. Perhaps the Scotch barrel aging "hides" the licorice more than the wine barrel aging did last year. I'll guess IBUs of 50-60 based on the style and the ABV is on the bottle at 12.3%, just outside the O-HI-O limits of 12%, IIRC, so the bottle shop I visited one other time in northern Kentucky must have received "most" of O-HI-O's allotment. I bought 6 bottles of the Scotch barrel version and 4 bottles of the brandy barrel version, not a cheap drop at about $245 for the 10 bottles. This stuff is gonna age a while. A looooong while. Next up will likely be a 750 ml wax-sealed brandy barrel-aged version at a tailgate in the next month or two.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 8th, 2017, 10:06 pm

Doom (bottled on 4/25/17)-Founders Brewing Company

From the weekend.

A tip of the snifter to dpslaw if he's still reading here for this suggestion.

Pour was a 12 ounce bottle into a Founders snifter. Darn near perfect I might add . Two-fingered head and a slightly hazy golden-yellow color. Smells like a barleywine with some orange, zest, leather and a bit of tobacco. Tastes a bit like a barleywine, too, but it's not. There's grapefruit, more orange, oil, and wait, what else is coming through now? Is that vanilla and oak and bourbon? Why, yes, it is! It's not a barleywine. This is a bourbon barrel-aged imperial IPA. In fact, according to the Founder's rep last month at a Bottle Rev tasting, it's the old Double Trouble recipe, which I haven't had since 1/18/10, that's been sitting in booze barrels for a year or so. I'll guess 80 IBUs, superbly balanced with an ABV of 12.4%. Not cheap at about $4/12 ounce bottle but reasonably priced. I've got 3 more from my 4 pack awaiting decisions: aging? trading? tailgating? Hmmm...
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 8th, 2017, 10:17 pm

Blade and Sheath-Burial Beer Company

Twelve ounce can from fuse last week. I owe you one. Well, I actually owe you five as I'm not replacing the Pumpkin Pie Porter .

A delicate beer can be delicious and this adds additional proof. Labeled as an American farmhouse ale, the pour was a bit of a hazy, straw color with a one inch, fizzy head. Nose of apples and pears and tastes of peaches, apricots, melons and a pinch of black pepper from Belgian yeasts. There's also a smidgen of funk here, too. IBUs at 30 and ABV at 6%. What a pleasant ale for a warm, humid summer evening. Would pair nicely with some soft cheeses and/or a plate of fresh fruit.

Many thanks for this inclusion!
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 10th, 2017, 9:32 pm

From 11/27/16:
devildeac wrote:Serendipity-New Glarus Brewing

I'll not often "steal" someone's review, but, in this case, everything fits. Perfectly. There was almost a fight at the dd household Friday night as the 3 original tasters added a 4th during the consumption of our 750 ml bottle of this as I found Mrs. dd pouring herself about 4-5 ounces of this and that's never done while fine, hand-crafted ales are being tasted. I think she's sipped 4 ounces of beer in our blessed 38+ year marriage and, yes, it was the Raspberry Tart fuse mentioned above, which she referred to as "raspberry champagne." Serendipity was "not beer" in her words and tasted like a sweet, organic 100% juice blend of cherries and apples with a slight pucker from the Wisconsin cranberries. The Apple Ale (ratebeer 98) was a tough act to follow but this readily and easily surpassed it (ratebeer 100). There's one more bottle remaining and that'll be a Christmas tasting, if I can hide it from her that long .
From last PM and now:

Serendipity-New Glarus Brewing

(Sub-titled as Happy Accident Fruit Ale. Really.)

From the label:

"Severe Drought, we shared the farmer’s horror as Wisconsin’s cherry crop failed! Dan bought what cherries he could. The Apple crop fared better. Then joy! A grand Wisconsin cranberry harvest. What will Dan brew with Apples, Cranberries and Cherries? Oh my! You hold the happy accident of Wisconsin’s favorite fruit aged in oak with an almost magical wild fermentation. Serendipity is a wondrous celebration that sparkles your senses and dances across your palate. A kaleidoscope of flavor discovered by accident in a sour ale!"

Well, they really oughtta stop this take as they've brewed this for years and I doubt there's been a drought every year in Wisconsin, unless we're talking early April, 2015 .

Pour was a hazy, ruby-amber with a fizzy, short-lived head. This really smells like a fruit juice blend and tastes like fruited champagne. There's apple and cherry sweetness and cranberry tartness, along with a bit of oaky/woody funk/sour. I'll guess IBUs around 10 and ABV about 5%. Mrs. dd got a full champagne flute tonight after a half serving last PM to be sure she still liked it but this time around. She did but preferred the Raspberry Tart slightly more. I have a new beer buddy ! A generous quantity of this will be delivered in early October by the devildeac midwest package service.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 11th, 2017, 8:33 am

devildeac wrote:From 12/20/15:
devildeac wrote:From 6/13/14:

From 2/7/17:

Old Curmudgeon Ale (or is it Curmudgeon Old Ale?)-Founders Brewing

This was my last bottle of the 2/2013 brewing and just had to sip it Wednesday night to give it another pouring after not really enjoying my last bottle due to a stale taste. This one was far better, classic for the old ale style and re-affirmed my thoughts that this is really a fabulous beer that got better with 1+ year of aging. Poured a slightly cloudy brown-burgundy with a small head, the scents were brown sugar and vanilla with tastes of dark caramel, dark dried fruits, vanilla, oak and a bit of rum. Was even smoother and more flavorful as it warmed a bit over 30 minutes. Definitely an after dinner/dessert/night cap beer. IBUs were 50 and the ABV was 9.8%. It is listed as being available from April-June so it might be worth a trip to your favorite specialty store to procure a 4 pack.

2015 edition (actually bottle dated 1/13/15 so this bottle was aged 11 months already)

Just as smooth as above. I'm guessing I bought this last month at Total Wine for about $11 for the 4 pack with my buck off coupon. Anytime you see this on the shelf, buy 4 and drink one that night, cellar one for a year and trade the others for some sort of Bastards.
From last night and tonight:

Curmudgeon (1/13/15)-Founders Brewing

Last night, six ounces of this was delicious as it warmed in an Alewerks snifter. Tonight, even after (wine) corking tightly for 24 hours, it tasted slightly oxidized and a bit flatter than yesterday. So, the lesson is probably age for less than 2 years and sip all 12 ounces slowly over one evening or share with friend.
From last PM:

Curmudgeon Old Ale/Old Curmudgeon Ale (bottle dated 1/13/15)-Founders Brewing

My last bottle (sniff). Until the anticipated 2/2018 release.

Poured a muddy brown with a modest head that quickly became a rim in my Founders snifter. Oaky/woody aromas with earthy, herbal, rummy, brown sugary, molasses-y and dark, dried fruity tastes. IBUs of 50 and ABV at 9.8%, plenty boozy. This was still very good after more than 2.5 years in the bottle/cellar but likely was better a year ago. I did learn the lesson to sip all 12 ounces in the same night and the second night's serving is more likely to be flat and somewhat oxidized as I mentioned above.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 15th, 2017, 8:29 pm

From 10/3/2010:

From the way back machine (not even posted here but discovered from my "archives").

60 Minute IPA-DFH

A classic IPA with herbal/cannabis aroma and tastes. Mildly bitter/hoppy and pretty well balanced. This is a yellow pour, modest head and pairs well with mild to moderately spicy dishes. I'd guess the IBU to be 50-60 and the ABV is 6%. I shoulda had this first after the game yesterday and the 75 IBU/7.5% ABV Flower Power IPA 2nd but did not do my research for these facts. You should drink the less bitter/lower alcohol brew 1st so your taste buds are not overpowered if you drink a high IBU/ABV beverage 1st.

From tonight:

60 Minute IPA-Dogfish Head Brewing

A 3 ounce sample from a can (!) at a tasting tonight at Bottle Revolution.

An IPA classic in a very, very crowded field now. I thought this had less herbal/cannabis tastes and aromas and was more citrusy. ABV still at 6% and rep confirmed IBUs of 60. Always worth a can/bottle/draft pint.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 15th, 2017, 8:29 pm

From the DFH tasting tonight:

Lupu Luau-Dogfish Head Brewing

Darn close to pina colada aromas and tastes. The hop variety used is a US experimental type supposed to accentuate/exude(?) pineapple aromas and flavors, hence the pina colada comparison. He claims they used real coconut flesh for the flavoring, along with dehydrated coconut water/milk. IBUs of about 60, just like the 60 Minute fuse astutely references above, with the ABV at 7.3%. I'm not sure I'd spring for a 6er of this at $15 but would split a litter with someone, drink a couple myself and trade one.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 15th, 2017, 10:42 pm

Midas Touch-Dogfish Head Brewing

"Off-centered ales for off-centered people" (I think I have their slogan correct.)

The final 2 ounce pour of the tasting. Color was light amber-yellow with a small head. Sweet, vinous nose and musty/vinous tastes with a hint of spice. Part of their Ancient Ales series from vessels from the 2700 year old Egyptian tomb of King Midas, it's kinda/sorta another hybrid made with muscat grapes, honey and saffron. The DFH rep stated IBUs near 0 (Their website lists 12) as he claims they use some old, dried up, flavorless, aromaless, oil-free hops for legal purposes so they can label it as beer and not have to call/market it as a mead, wine or braggot (). ABV is a dangerously sippable 9%. I think it's been 8-9 years since I've one of these and had almost forgotten how smooth and pleasant it was. Almost. It'd make a nice pairing with soft cheeses and a fruit plate.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 15th, 2017, 10:55 pm

Hospitali Tea-Unknown Brewing Company

Drink local/regional (Charlotte)!

My first 12 ounce can from my last beer club month 4 pack (I did re-up for another year. I hope they miscalculate like they did last year and give me 14 months for the price of 12, plus another nice glass just for asking, this time a kinda sexy 250 cl tulip with Golden Carolus on it.)

Pour was a slightly cloudy amber with a moderate beige head. Well, it is an amber ale . Aromas of tea (added), honey (added) and some herbal, earthy tones, too. Tastes are light caramel, very lightly sweetened tea and wheat toast. I'll guess IBUs of 20-30 (minimal bitterness) and ABV listed on the can at 5.6%. Pair with burgers, ribs or a deli sammich. As many of the beer club offerings have been, I'm happy to have tried one, wouldn't buy a litter and certainly worth a single or a draft.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 16th, 2017, 10:47 pm

Golden Fleece-Quest Brewing Company

A Belgian style pale ale and a new brew/brewery to me. A 12 ounce can as part of my August beer club offering.

Pour was hazy copper with a modest, creamy head. Enticing nose of citrus and tropical notes with palate-tickling flavors of grapefruit, lemon, oil, orange and a bit of pepper. IBUs of 35 and ABV of 35 so I was able to enjoy a second member of the 4 pack tonight, too . Very pleased to have this included in this month's offering and would certainly have another can or draft if in upstate SC anytime. This would pair nicely with anything you'd consider matching with any other pale ale. Ingredients:

MALT :2 Row Pale Malt, Munich Malt, Riverbend**Appalachian Wheat**, Caramel Malt
HOPS :Chinook & Cascade
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 19th, 2017, 2:18 pm

IPA-Highland Brewing Company

Clever name. =))

I <think> this is their re-formulated IPA and, if it is, they really did a fine job.

This 12 ounce bottle was part of my August beer club 4 pack and poured a golden-yellow with a moderately foamy head. Citrusy and juicy nose with tastes of grapefruit, orange, lemon, some rind, a bit of light caramel sweetness and a mildly oily mouthfeel. There was some dankness, too, and that's meant with a positive slant. Very nicely balanced at 70 IBUs and ABV of 7%. Would accompany grilled or spicy stuff quite nicely. Wouldn't hesitate for a moment pouring another bottle or ordering a pint of this. Here's their ingredient list:

Hops: Chinook, Citra, & Centennial
Grist: 2 Row Base Malt, Victory & Caramel 20
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 19th, 2017, 2:37 pm

From 3/7/17:
devildeac wrote:From Sunday/Monday nights, about a half a snifter each evening:

Bourbon Barrel Quad 2016 (best by 9/8/18 on bottle)-Boulevard Brewing Company

Now available as 4 packs of 12 ounce bottles (maybe $15 after my buck off Total Wine coupon last month), a much more consumer/price friendly way to sell beer.

Same bouquet from my Alewerks snifter with very similar tastes so if doesn't appear they altered the "formula" too much, especially considering the IBUs and the ABV are identical. Truly outstanding product at a much better price than the $16-18 I recall seeing on the 750 ml format. Plus, I don't have to share my small bottles (-kidding-I've got 3 left and intend to save 1 for a year and share/trade the others most likely)
From last PM:

Bourbon Barrel Quad (same bottle dating)-Boulevard Brewing Company

Well, I saved it less than 6 months so now it's a bit less than a year old .

All you would expect from a Belgian-style quad and bourbon barrel aging with a moderate foamy head and aromas and tastes of booze-soaked raisins, dates, figs with some (lots?) of brown sugar and a bit of rumminess. IBUs at 26 and I think the ABV was a dangerously sippable 11.8%. Now there are 2 bottles remaining. What to do, what to do...
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 19th, 2017, 10:27 pm

From 11/30/16:
devildeac wrote:Oud Bruin 2016-New Glarus Brewing

I'll put my second and last 12 ounce bottle (or fuse's ) of this up against the world classic Rodenbach Flanders Red Ale or Grand Cru and we'd have a helluva discussion which one was better. But, then again, I'd consider laying this down for a year and re-tasting.

Brewed in the New Glarus beer/wild cave in a coolship and then fermented spontaneously in oak vats/barrels, this poured a gorgeous brown-ruby hue with a small head into an Ommegang tulip. Nose was slightly vinegary/sour, but not spoiled. Tasted amazingly complex with sour/dark cherry-cola sweet, Sour Patch cherry/berry flavors along with some dark toffee. There are no IBUs or ABV listed anywhere I looked so I'll guess 30 and 6%, respectively. I've come to anticipate excellence whenever I taste a NG product and this easily met my very high expectations. This is really an amazing beer.
From right now:

Oud Bruin (2016)-New Glarus Brewing

Well, I couldn't quite wait a year ( :ymblushing: ) but my final bottle did survive 2016 and my initial review stands. This is still an amazing beer. I have one Enigma left. It will not last much longer.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 21st, 2017, 10:06 pm

Big Wave-Kona Brewing Company

Disclaimer: Leftover beer from weekend guests at the NC coast.

Labeled as a golden ale but not a Belgian-style golden ale, this was a light gold hue (D'oh) with a thin head. There are light scents of stone fruits and a bit of honey. Tastes are mild peach, mango and tangerine tastes with hints of light brown sugar/caramel. Minimal bitterness with 21 IBUs and quite crushable at 4.4% ABV. Of course, I had to read more about this brewer and found out they were part of the Craft Brew Alliance, composed of 5 beer and cider brands (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craft_Brew_Alliance). Promising. Now the bad news: "As of January 2013, Anheuser-Busch InBev owned 32.2% of the business and is also the company's distribution partner, has two seats on its board of directors, and special status in the company's board committees." No more Kona for me (after I finish the other bottle of another flavor tomorrow night :ymblushing: ).
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 21st, 2017, 10:33 pm

Back to the good stuff 8-| .

Motorbreath (2016)-Four String Brewing Company

Drink local! Well, when your son, currently living in Columbus, OH, brings you an assortment of <his> local offerings, you say thank you and enjoy the delivery. And I have pretty much enjoyed them all, sharing a few in the process.

This is a 750 ml limited edition/one-off (bottle #358 of 360) brewed to celebrate their 5th anniversary last fall. I'm having a 250 ml portion tonight after having about the same amount last PM and planning on draining the bottle tomorrow evening. Pour was a dark, dark brown with a small head. There are aromas of dark chocolate, coffee and dried fruits emanating from my glass and the tastes that follow are plums, more chocolate, hints of licorice and molasses and a drop or two of coffee. It's an imperial stout that appears to be without aging or additives. IBUs (from Untapped) are 40 and the ABV on the bottle is 10.8%. Another dangerously sippable beer. Peanut butter stuffed pretzel pillows made a nice snack with this beer.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 22nd, 2017, 10:34 pm

Fire Rock-Kona Brewing Company

Where's that Meh, Beer thread when we need it ? 8-|

Pour was a light copper with little head. Some caramel and earthy/herbal aromas and a rather bland taste profile with some graininess, mild bitterness and a bit of brown sugar sweetness. IBUs of 35 and ABV of 5.8%. Happy the guests didn't leave more than one of these this weekend . 8-|
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » August 23rd, 2017, 6:07 pm

I'm having a Black Mocha from Highland Brewing. I really like this one too .
Bob Green
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by Bob Green » August 23rd, 2017, 7:07 pm

Dos Equis Amber for me tonight.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 24th, 2017, 10:04 am

^^^^

And one/both of you are warmly welcome to join us at the beer table any game this season. :D