Ymm, Beer!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by devildeac » July 11th, 2017, 11:01 pm

Marshal Zhukov’s Final Push-Cigar City Brewing

Very happy to have found this limited release keg at Bottle Revolution tonight and sipped on a two ounce sample after finishing my AleSmith Quad. With the advanced metrics of an ABV of 11.5% and IBUs of 53 in this imperial stout, I'm not sure I'd have made it to the parking lot, let alone home if I had purchased a half pint. Plus, the cost would have been $5.50 (yep, and $11 for a full pint) and I would have needed a home equity loan, too .

Pour was almost black with a moderate mocha head. Strong coffee aromas and just as potent coffee tastes with a chewy, fudgy mouthfeel and reasonable amount of dark chocolate shining through, too. Both the coffee and roasted, raw chocolate are adjuncts, along with vanilla but this was pretty much lost/overpowered in the tasting. Totally a dessert beer but you could twist my arm and make me nibble on a triple chocolate brownie with it, too.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 12th, 2017, 10:14 pm

Summer Ale-Brooklyn Brewery (in Utica-and Brooklyn)

From their website:

Style: Sunny Pale Ale
Malts: British Pale, German Pilsner
Hops: Ahtanum, Willamette, Cascade, Amarillo
Alcohol by Volume: 5.0%

Now, WTH is a sunny pale ale? SMH. Next thing ya know, a cloudy IPA or an overcast wheat ale .

Pour from a 16 ounce can, the last member of my June 4 pack from beer club, was yellow-straw in color with a hint of a chill haze. Faint citrusy and floral aromas and lightly bready, caramel-y, bitter taste and mouthfeel. Pretty much as expected for the style. I'll guess 40 IBUs. I'd pair with some grilled tuna and asparagus and perhaps some roasted red potatoes. Worth a 12 ounce bottle or 16 ounce can but wouldn't buy the entire litter.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 17th, 2017, 10:22 pm

Summer Rental-Flying Dog Brewery

Bitch, err, brew #1 from my July beer club 4 pack, all from Flying Dog.

This was a radler, a low IBU (10), kinda/sorta low ABV (4.5%), summer German-style thirst quencher. Pour was a light straw color with a fizzy, quickly disappearing head. Faint citrusy, floral nose, followed by light grapefruity and stone fruit flavors. The grapefruit is added, along with passion fruit, which I wouldn't have perceived had I not read the label. Doubt these are all the additives, but they're what they list:

SPECIALTY MALTS: Wheat

HOPS: Northern Brewer

YEAST: German Ale

Certainly worth a single, either by itself of to have a radler tasting some evening.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 17th, 2017, 10:48 pm

Raging St. EADman-Flying Dog Brewery

Brew #2 from the litter of four.

The folks at Bottle Revolution disassembled boxes (6s? 12s?) of their "Blenders Series" to provide beer club members with 3 members of this month's 4 packs. Very interesting blending of 2 of their year round ales, St. EADman Abbey Ale and Raging Bitch Belgian IPA in 60/40 proportions. The final product poured a dark amber with a small, creamy head that didn't linger long. I'd have guessed a reversal of their stated ratio as I perceive a bit more grapefruit and citrus on the nose and taste but certainly some dates, raisins, figs and brown sugar on the palate as I sip my way through my 12 ounce portion from an Ommegang tulip. Stated IBUs of 36 and ABV rolls in at 8.5%, pretty much in IIPA territory. Pairing? I guess a plate of mussels (blechh) with some beef brisket and grilled shrimp . Ingredients:

SPECIALTY MALTS: Oats, Vienna, Special B, Caramel

HOPS: Amarillo, CTZ, Hallertau

YEAST: Two proprietary Belgian strains

I don't think I'd have bought a 6er or 12 pack of this but quite happy to have tried the combination and look forward to tomorrow night's tasting of the remaining 2 "blenders."
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 18th, 2017, 10:04 pm

Uno de Snake-Flying Dog Brewery

A Mexican IPA?!?!?!

My second 12 ounce bottle from their Blenders variety pack. It's 20% Numero Uno, their agave cerveza and 80% Snake Dog 20, their IPA, or one of them at least. Pour was a golden-yellow with a small head. Pleasant grapefruity aromas, followed by orange, grapefruit and (added) limey-zesty flavors, along with some mild sweetness originating from the grains and the added agave nectar I'd guess. Moderate bitterness at 52 IBUs, nicely balanced with an ABV of 6.6%. Serve with some sweet and spicy salsa-topped grilled fish, chicken or shrimp. Ingredients:

SPECIALTY MALTS: Caramel, Munich, Flaked Maize

HOPS: Mosaic, Citra, Simcoe

YEAST: American Ale

Worth a single to try. Given the fact these are "blenders," Lord help me if I start posting about lime or straw-ber-itas.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 18th, 2017, 10:54 pm

True Blood-Flying Dog Brewery

A blood orange imperial IPA

Well, that 4 pack didn't last long .

This was another "blender," comprised of 50% Bloodline, their blood orange ale, and 50% The Truth, their IIPA.

Pour into a pint glass was a pale pink-orange with a modest, lingering, foamy head. There's a lot of grapefruit up front here but none is added. There's a lot of grapefruit in the middle, too, along with touch of pine, resin and orange, both juicy and zesty. IBUs on the IPA/IIPA border here at 60 with ABV just into the IIPA region at 7.8%. This would match nicely with a hot/spicy entree. Once again, enjoyable as a single or as a 6er or 12 pack for sharing/trading purposes. Contents:

SPECIALTY MALTS: Wheat, Munich, Caramel

HOPS: Citra, Amarillo, Galaxy

YEAST: American Ale
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 19th, 2017, 11:17 pm

Buttface-C.B. & Potts Restaurant and Brewery (aka RAM Brewing)

I must admit, I had my doubts when a patient gifted this 12 ounce bottle to me this week after he returned from a business trip to Oregon and described it as the best amber ale (draft) he'd ever had. Color me impressed.

Poured into a standard pint glass with a smallish head. Modest, foamy, non-lingering head. Wait, this is an amber ale? It looks like a brown ale. Well, not quite but it's a dark amber. It smells like a brown ale with a lot of toffee nuttiness and over-toasted wheat bread. It tastes like a hybrid amber/brown ale with dark caramel, milk chocolate, more toffee, almonds and a drop of coffee. This is really good. IBUs at 26 and ABV of 5.8%. This is not yo' mama's Fat Tire. I think there's a RAM brewery/restaurant In The Annapolis so I'll call out luburch and see if s/he's ever seen/tasted this or send him/her on a tasting expedition to sample this on draft and report back to Ymm, Beer . I'd pair with any burger, ribs or brisket.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 22nd, 2017, 8:23 am

From 3/13/17:
devildeac wrote:High West-fied Imperial Coffee Stout-Lagunitas Brewing Company

Everything you might think and more. Think Cappuccino Stout aged in High West rye and bourbon barrels.

Inky black, viscous pour with a wispy head from a 12 ounce bottle into a Founders snifter. Coffee and booze initially, then tasting dark chocolate, lots of dark caramel and coffee with warming, bourbon notes midway through and a bit more booze to finish. IBUs are less than the Cappuccino Stout, measuring 39.6 (really, it's on the bottle) and a quite potent 12.2% ABV. Amazingly, this is in 6ers and was about $15 after a buck off Total Wine coupon last month. Not sure I'll share any of these (kidding). No dessert necessary.
From last PM:

High West-fied Imperial Coffee Stout-Lagunitas Brewing Company

Same pour and appearance but, after 4 months of cellaring, I thought the coffee was much more pronounced and the bourbon more subdued. More of a dark chocolate-dipped coffee been this time. Yea, I know, strange beer to sip in the summer heat and humidity, but we've got a buncha guests in the house, so something a bit more "fortified" was necessary.

Three still available for sharing. Doubt I'll sample another one of these heavyweights until the fall. Ymm, tailgates...
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 23rd, 2017, 1:40 pm

Summer Shandy-Leinenkugel's (I don't care how it's spelled)

Maybe we should have a Mehh, Beer thread .

Several leftover 12 ounce bottles from our "honored" house guests the last few days. Had one last PM after an evening of very vigorous ballroom/latin/swing dancing at our studio. It was yellow, cold, wet, mildly foamy, cloudy, lemon-y and thirst-quenching, non-bitter and low ABV. I'll drink one more after mowing the lawn later this week. I was surprised to find a 72 rating on beeradvocate. I'd have thought 40-something, or less.

I don't mind seeing this left in the fridge after the guests leave but don't leave me your @#$%ing coorslite, especially after you sample a Dragon's Milk (at another location), tell me how a great a beer it is and don't purchase/leave one (or more) of these to accompany the other swill you consume/leave behind. It'll be interesting when I discuss this with Mrs. dd later this week and she says, "Oh, just be thankful." My response will probably be something like, "Oh yea, how would you react to a bottle of Boone's Farm (is that still made?) or Mad Dog 20/20 in your fridge?"
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 23rd, 2017, 10:33 pm

NoDaJito-NoDa Brewing Company

Always nice when the owner of a local bottle shop will make the 300+ mile round trip to Charlotte to load up his car/van/truck with NoDa pint cans as they don't distribute to the Triangle area.

Pour was a pilsner-like pale straw color with a quickly disappearing, fizzy head. Faint nose of lime and very light-bodied tastes of flowers, lime, lime zest with a drop or two of mint leaves in this adaptation of a traditional witbier style. Very palate friendly at 18 IBUs and highly sessionable at 4.8% ABV. Happy to have purchased a 4 pack for myself and a second litter for fuse.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 25th, 2017, 10:57 pm

Delirium Nocturnum (draft)-Brouwerij Huyghe

A genuine Belgium dark, strong ale on draft? Yes, please.

I've had a 330 ml bottle of this before but never a draft and it was quite good. Medium to dark brown pour, small tan head and all the expected aromas of dark, dried fruits, roasted grains and a bit of caramelized brown sugar. Minimal bitterness with a 20 IBU guess and an 8.5% ABV. Would be a wonderful dessert beer or an accomplice to a beef roast.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 25th, 2017, 11:01 pm

Black Sour (draft)-Captain Lawrence Brewing Company

Completely new brew and company to me and not listed on their website anywhere as this was likely the high gravity version of one of their standard sours.

Pour was almost black with a thin, mocha head. Sour blackberry, winey nose with matching tastes along with some sour cherries, chocolate, black vinegar (WTH you talkin' about?) and some coffee. I'll guess IBUs about 10 and the ABV on the electronic "chalkboard" was 10.5%. I guess this most closely approximates a sour imperial stout and the only other one I've had I can remember is an Anchorage Brewing Company version several years ago. Vague recollection was that one was better (perhaps a bit thicker and higher ABV?) but I'd certainly have the Captain Lawrence version again if I saw it.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 26th, 2017, 2:05 pm

From 5/4/15:
devildeac wrote:Delicious IPA-Stone Brewing Company

Continuing to drink up my winnings from the office NCAAT pool. Clear and straw-colored with a burst of tropical fruits from the top of the glass to papaya, mango and Juicyfruit gum flavors throughout the 12 ounce serving with a bit of a honey finish. This is on the borderline between an IPA and a IIPA at 80 IBUs and 7.7% ABV. Another bold brew from Stone that would be at home with some spicy ribs or Szchuan offerings.
From last PM:

Delicious IPA-Stone Brewing Company

Two ounce sample from a bottle at a Stone tasting last PM.

I don't think they've changed the recipe much. The high IBU/bitterness nicely balanced by the moderately high ABV. Another very good Stone IPA or IIPA, depending on your standards/definition. I'd certainly enjoy another one of these anytime.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 26th, 2017, 10:17 pm

Duvel Single (draft)-Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV

What's not to like about a beer that translates to Devil?

Two ounce sample last PM after the heavyweights reviewed yesterday. This is not the classic Duvel golden ale or tripel style but a true Belgian pale ale. Pale straw color, small fizzy head and classic, floral Euro hops aromas and tastes with light graininess, hay, pears and melons. I'll guess IBU of 20 as it's quite smooth and the ABV is 6.8%, a tad high for a pale ale. I'd buy a 4 pack of this if I saw it. A nice pairing would be with grilled fish or shrimp.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 26th, 2017, 10:31 pm

Mocha IPA-Stone Brewing (Richmond)

Two ounce pour from a 12 ounce bottle at a Stone tasting at Bottle Revolution last PM. Color was a yellow-gold with hints of amber. Nose was citrusy and cold press. Quite the array of tastes followed, including grapefruit, orange, stone fruit, coffee (added) and a bit of cocoa (added). If I drank this blindfolded, I might have guessed black IPA as they often taste like chocolate-covered jellied grapefruit/orange slices with a Starbucks chaser. The name is also incorrect as it's 9% ABV (whoa!) and 80 IBUs, so very solidly in IIPA territory. Quite an interesting concoction. An IIPA after dinner/dessert beer? Or, pair it with a surf and turf dinner? Hmmm, might have to find a 6er of this one. Ingredients:

FEATURED HOPS: Cascade, Citra® & Amarillo
SPECIAL INGREDIENTS: Ryan Bros. Coffee Espresso Gold, cacao & milk sugar

Now, wait another minute here. Milk sugar? Lactose? Does this now make it an imperial milk stout IIPA?
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 28th, 2017, 12:10 am

devildeac wrote:From 8/29/16:
devildeac wrote:Dire Wolf (draft)-Wolf's Ridge Brewing

Their "base" imperial stout (you'll read why with reviews 2 and 3 ). Black as night, viscous as Valvoline, dark chocolate-y as Ghiradelli with a splash of espresso. I'll guess 60 IBUs with an ABV of 10.4%
From 3/9/17:

Dire Wolf-Wolf's Ridge Brewing

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle out of a 4 pack into a Founder's snifter. Ahh, wonderful memories. Seductive nose of baker's chocolate, toffee and dark roast coffee. Viscous pour with a smooth and silky, yet chewy mouthfeel. The chocolate is semi-sweet with molasses and dark caramel with a mildly bitter coffee finish. Moderately boozey with the same ABV as the draft from last summer and I'll wager the same IBU range. I might have a slice of Mrs. dd's nearly famous and freshly baked pumpkin bread with pee-cans and dark chocolate morsels with the second half of my snifter...

From right now:

Dire Wolf-Wolf's Ridge Brewing

Worth repeating.

This might have suffered a bit waiting another 4 months but we're in the NC mountains, it's a cool night, it was a bit of a long drive, I'm thirsty and it's still quite good.

Almost fudge-y/doughy/cake-y and perhaps a bit more of a coffee finish than dark chocolate tonight. I believe I'll be placing another order for this for when Mike Corey comes down for a tailgate this fall (hint) or when our son and his wife come for a visit during the Christmas season. That is assuming he wants to sleep indoors (but not near Indoor66 ).
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » July 28th, 2017, 3:32 pm

In my vAriety pack of Highland Brewing Co., is one I haven't had before. It's Big Briar tart Raspberry. I would differently tasted the berries. I like it for a hot summer time beer.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 28th, 2017, 8:53 pm

Very Duke Blue wrote:In my vAriety pack of Highland Brewing Co., is one I haven't had before. It's Big Briar tart Raspberry. I would differently tasted the berries. I like it for a hot summer time beer.
That sounds delicious. If you have an extra, bring it to the first tailgate if you attend. Pleeeaaassee...
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 28th, 2017, 8:53 pm

Out in the...

Crippler Crumpler 2XIPA-Boondocks Brewing Company

First of a four beer sampler with a (fuse-recommended) sidecar at the end.

Pour into a Sierra Nevada 5 ounce somewhat chubby Sierra Nevada pilsner glass was an orange-yellow. Light citrus aromas and tastes with a hint of pine and somewhat strangely, cherries. Not brutal at all for an IIPA. I'll guess IBUs in the low 60 range and the ABV was 8%.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 28th, 2017, 8:58 pm

Hop Tart (draft)-Boondocks Brewing

Local joint in West Jefferson, NC. This is one of their 2 summer saisons, the other being a strawberry mint that sounded tempting but that keg had kicked .

Not very hoppy and only very mildly tart. Light berries (blueberries and blackberries added) up top and in the glass. Cloudy straw/wheat color with hints of oranges, apples and pears. Guessing way down the IBU scale in the 10-20 range but in the imperial saison range at 7.6% ABV. Very palate-pleasing.