Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by devildeac » June 27th, 2017, 10:38 pm

Man of War (draft)-Compass Rose Brewing

Drink local!

Two ounces sample=two ounce review

Belgian quad style from a brewery about 2 miles from our house that I (embarrassingly) have yet to visit. Medium brown pour, small head and all the scents and tastes you'd expect from the style, including dark fruits, caramel, rum and a bit of dark candi sugar. Estimated IBUs of 20 and ABV at 12.5%. Fortunately, my total tasting volume was 16 ounces over about an hour so the ride home was safe.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 28th, 2017, 7:56 am

Dunkle Weisse-Ayinger Brewery and Sierra Nevada Brewing

Summer Beer Camp Across the World 2017

Take a great German brewer with a classic dark wheat beer and ferment it in open containers and you get a cloudy, medium dark brown pour with a creamy tan head that smells like ripe bananas baked into a fresh loaf of banana bread, spiced with cloves, flavored with oranges and swirled with caramel. Minimal bitterness as IBUs are 10 with perhaps a slightly high ABV for the style at 5.7%. Don't be a brat and knock this offering, after all, it's not the wurst one in the 12 pack so far . Actually, a rather good wheat ale.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 29th, 2017, 7:26 pm

Thai-Style Iced Tea Ale-Mikkeller Brewer and Sierra Nevada Brewing

Beer Camp Around the World 2017

Orange juice and sweet southern tea!

Well, not quite but pretty close. Pour was a clean/clear orange-tinged amber with a small head. Not-too-sweet OJ on the nose with a twist of bitter orange peel (added) at first sip with a mildly strong/mildly sweet tea finish, enhanced by the added lactose. I don't think I'd have guessed the other additives as star anise and tamarind .
Very un-bitter with IBUs of 12 and ABV at 7.2%. Pleasant pairing with a slice of Mrs. dd's almost famous chicken-spinach quiche and some steamed, honey-glazed carrots.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 29th, 2017, 10:39 pm

Raspberry Sundae-The Bruery and Sierra Nevada

Beer Camp Across the World 2017

Yet another liquid dessert.

Pour from a 12 ounce bottle into my Ommegang tulip appeared ruby-amber and was slightly cloudy with a thin head. It's a blonde ale. The aromas and tastes are pretty subtle here with a bit of berry/slightly sour/lambic up front and nuances of the added somewhat tart raspberry, cocoa and vanilla on the palate. Another un-bitter collabeeration included in the 12 pack at 10 IBUs and dangerously sippable at 8% ABV. I guess if you put a sliver of Black Forest cheesecake in front of me I'd try a couple bites with this ale .
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 30th, 2017, 11:50 pm

Atlantic-Style Vintage Ale-Fuller's Brewery and Sierra Nevada Brewing

Pretty much an old English ale brewed with plums. Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a small plastic cup (twice ). Yea, we're in a hotel without real glasses and I forgot my 2010 or 2015 NCAA championship pint glass . Appearance was light amber with a moderate-sized, creamy head. Enticing aromas of toasted grains and dried fruits. Tastes of brown sugar, caramel, dried fruits, especially dark plums (d'oh). Herbal, earthy bitterness is mild. IBUs at 40 and ABV rolling in at 8.5%. Very nice nightcap. Glad I didn't bring a 16 ounce can for sipping at this late hour.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 1st, 2017, 9:42 pm

Mamaw's Mean Cobbler (draft)-Hardywood Park Craft Brewery, Charlottesville edition

Drink indigenous!

They should serve this with a large scoop of fresh/local made vanilla ice cream along with a straw and a long-handled spoon.

It's a variation of their Peach Tripel (yes, there are 2 bottles of this original version in the devildeac beermobile returning to Raleigh tomorrow) with the addition of vanilla, cinnamon and lactose, making this a liquid dessert beer. Pour into a 12 ounce tulip was cloudy, yellow-orange (it's too easy to say peach-colored ) with a half inch head. Peach aromas followed by just about everything advertised and what you'd expect in a cobbler including some brown sugar. Little bitterness, guessing IBUs of 10-20 with the ABV at 8.2%. It's part of their one-off Pilot series and what better place to pour than their new (opened February, 2017) Pilot brewing facility in Hooville.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 1st, 2017, 9:55 pm

Virginia Blackberry (draft)-Hardywood Park Craft Brewery, Hooville location

Drink more indigenous!

This was a 2 ounce sample prior to purchasing a couple 750 ml bottles for transporting across the state line .

Pour was a cloudy, ruby-purple with a thin head. Mildly fruity nose with modest tastes of berries and nuances of orange and spice from the Belgian-style white ale base. Very easy sipping at 12 IBUs and ABV stated at 6.8%. Would be wonderful with a plate of fruit, with or without some soft, mild cheeses. It's part of their Reserve Series and an annual release since August, 2012.

Hmm, might make a nice comparison with some New Glarus fruit beers.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 2nd, 2017, 10:05 pm

Ginger Lager-Surly Brewing Company and Sierra Nevada Brewing

Beer Camp Across the World 2017.

Don't start thinking Cack-A-Lacky from Fullsteam here .

Poured most of a 16 ounce aluminum vessel into a pint glass, finishing it off after I quaffed a few sips to make more room. Color was light golden-yellow with a moderate, foamy head. Yep, there's ginger here and a fair amount of it just in the nose. First taste is ginger with a bit of spice and heat. They claim the pinch of cayenne is below the heat threshold or some such nonsense but it's not. It's mildly warming but not unpleasantly so at the end. There's a bit of light brown sugar sweetness but this is a spicy beer. Oak "honeycombs" don't lend any woodiness to the brew. IBUs are 20, pretty standard for a lager and the ABV is 6.2%, a bit high. I wouldn't buy another of these but could imagine a pairing with a curry or a Szechuan entree.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 3rd, 2017, 8:25 am

Hoppy Belgian Style Golden-Duvel Moortgat and Sierra Nevada

Beers Across the World Beer Camp 2017

I like the original better but this is an interesting variation.

Pour from a 12 ounce bottle into my large, lovely Ommegang tulip was a light gold color with a two-fingered foamy, not lacy head. Fresh floral, fruity and orange-y aromas with a tang of lemon peel (added) bitterness to accompany the expected subtle orange, slightly sweet and mildly pepper-y flavors. Fairly typical Euro hops along with some domestics, including Magnum, Saaz, Styrian Celeia (?), Cashmere (?), Calista (?) and Eldorado. Grain bill lists Pilsner, French Pilsner and Wheat. For those stats hounds, IBUs are 35, somewhat higher I think than the original Duvel (we're talking Sierra Nevada as a collaborator here ), and ABV at 8%, perhaps a bit lower than I recall for Duvel, which IIRC (and sometimes the "C" is absent) has a 9% level. I'd pair with almost any mild seafood entree except the traditional mussels as I really don't like those chewy, little molluscs .
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 3rd, 2017, 11:13 pm

Swell Rider-D9 Brewing Company

Apparently, no relation to 9F .

Drink regional!

A 16 ounce can included in my June beer club 4 pack.

This is a session IPA with tangerine added but it didn't look tangerine-colored in my pint glass but more of an pale orange-tinged straw color. Small head disappeared fairly quickly. Nose of citrus and tastes of the expected tangerine, along with peach, pineapple and mango, guessing the non-added "flavors" originated from citrusy/tropical hops but I couldn't find any list of ingredients. No IBUs listed wither so I'll guess about 30 as bitterness was minimal. ABV of 5.1% so certainly "sessionable." Quite pleasant summer ale that quenched my thirst nicely tonight and would pair nicely with a fresh catch of the day and a fruited salsa glaze/topping.
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » July 4th, 2017, 3:38 pm

I found my my most favorite beer. Anything Highland Brewing Company does.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 4th, 2017, 8:29 pm

Jack Thorne-Mystery Brewing

Drink local!

Its claim to be a London-style porter is a fairly accurate one. This was a 16 ounce can from my June beer club allotment. Pour was a dark brown with a generous, creamy tan head. Expected aromas of milk chocolate and coffee did not disappoint, neither did the tastes of the same with some dark caramel and a subtle smokiness. Flavors became more prominent as the beer warmed over about 30 minutes as it accompanied my small filet, some fresh NC corn and tomatoes and some steamed broccoli and carrots. IBUs a bit low at 20 and the ABV was 5.2%. Mystery makes solid products as y'all probably learned already from Tripping William's frequent enjoyment and reviews of their ales.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 4th, 2017, 8:29 pm

Very Duke Blue wrote:I found my my most favorite beer. Anything Highland Brewing Company does.
And have been brewing for about 20 years, IIRC.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 4th, 2017, 10:54 pm

Campout Porter-Garage Project and Sierra Nevada Brewing

Craft brewing in New Zealand? WTH?

The elixir from my 12 ounce bottle pour was dark brown, a bit thin and produced a modest, creamy tan head. Less milk chocolate and coffee aromas than the Mystery porter but fairly similar flavors but perhaps a bit smoother from the addition of New Zealand Manuka honey and some California Beechwood honey, too. There's a touch of smokiness from the malts smoked over Manuka wood and a bit of Tahitian vanilla. IBUs of 32 and imperial porter territory ABV at 7.7%. This also would have been tasty with a steak but makes a fine dessert sipper, too.

Ingredients:

Hops: Southern Cross and Pacifica
Malts: Two-row Pale, Manuka Smoked, Chocolate, Midnight Wheat and Munich
Adjuncts: bolded above
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 8th, 2017, 9:07 am

White IPA-Kiuchi Brewery and Sierra Nevada

The folks at Kiuchi Brewing are the ones who originated the Hitachino Nest beers in 1996. I'm not sure I ever tasted one of those. This was rather interesting as it was a fruited and spiced IPA. Poured a light, clear, gold-yellow from a 12 ounce bottle into a pint glass with a moderate, creamy head. Somewhat unusual aromas of citrus, pear and nutmeg greeted me with tastes best compared to a slightly sour lemon-pear juice and a pinch of nutmeg. I'm not sure I'd have guessed any coriander was also added to the brew. Pleasantly non-bitter with 20 IBUs and pleasingly potent at 7% ABV, nice for joint lubrication fluid prior to a session of ballroom dancing last PM with Mrs. dd. I think it would have paired well with a non-spicy Asian chicken a vegetables entree, too.

Hops: Centennial, Citra, Comet and Eureka
Grains: Pilsner, wheat, unmalted wheat
Adjuncts: Yuzu (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citrus_junos), nutmeg and coriander
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 8th, 2017, 8:52 pm

Tetravis (? 2012)-Boston Beer Company (aka Sam Adams) Barrel Room Collection

I took a chance on this corked and caged 750 ml bottle tonight at dinner, not knowing its age or conditions under which it was cellared, to celebrate 39 (mostly) blissful years of marital union with Mrs. dd. I have no idea when this was brewed/released as there was no date anywhere on the bottle so the ? 2012 above is estimated based on the copyright on the bottom of the bottle on the back "label."

A careful pour into a frozen Collins (WTH ?) glass was a slightly cloudy, medium brown with a small, quickly disappearing tan head. Heavenly nose of dark, dried fruits and tastes to match with the expected raisins, dates, figs, cherries and dark rum. There's some wood/oak/vanilla from the aging but no bourbon. Amazingly palate-friendly as I expect a Belgian quad-style ale to be at 18 IBUs and dangerously sippable at 10.2% ABV. Wonderful pairing with a local catch of Red Drum that was lightly peppered and sauteed atop a bed of grilled Shiitake mushrooms, wilted spinach and fingerling potatoes and a dill/Dijon/chive sauce. The tasting/experience was of course enhanced by my wonderful accomplice who enjoyed a bowl of freshly caught NC coastal shrimp and cheese grits, mixed with sauteed tasso ham, green tomatoes and onions and accompanied by a small baguette with chive butter and peach chutney. This beverage, sipped over about 90 minutes, ended up being an appetizer, entree enhancer and dessert, so the ~$16 tab for the bottle looked/sounded/felt quite reasonable.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 11th, 2017, 8:38 pm

From a Terrapin Brewing sampling this evening:

Sound Czech

Clever.

Two ounce pour looked like liquid straw and tasted the same with a bit of cereal graininess and some mild floral bitterness. IBUs a bit surprising for a pils at 42 with a 5.2% ABV. Pair with a BLT or turkey and Muenster sammich. Wouldn't buy a 6er but would be worth a single to try a good quality pilsner.

HOPS: German Magnum, Czech Saaz, Saphire

MALTS: Pilsner
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 11th, 2017, 8:42 pm

Maggie's

A peach farmhouse ale.

Another two ounce pour that looked liked liquid sunshine and tasted like peach jam with a bit of orange and a few flower petals. IBUs of 22 with ABV at 5.5%. Sip with a fruit salad or soft cheeses. Worth a single but not a litter.

HOPS: Golding

MALTS: Munich, Wheat, Acidulated
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 11th, 2017, 10:30 pm

Hi-5 IPA

The final Terrapin sample of the night.

Five hops, (only) 3 grains, 5.9% ABV (Hi-5ish ) and 80 IBUs, but it tasted like something in the Hi-5s range .

Color was orange-yellow, head was small (hey, it was about a 2 ounce pour) and tastes were citrus-y and tropical with a bit of light caramel sweetness and only a mild bite. Gimme some fish tacos with a mango-pineapple salsa and a drop or two of hot sauce with a 12 ounce can of this.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 11th, 2017, 10:47 pm

Quad-AleSmith Brewing Company

No listing on their website and none on beeradvocate so I don't know how Bottle Revolution got a keg of this from the West Coast.

Half pint pour was $4. Worth it. Typical quad style with a dark amber color, small tan head and seductive aromas and tastes of dark, dried fruits, Demerara sugar, 151 rum and caramel (well, maybe not seductive but at least enticing ). Even more flavors as it warmed as I nursed my serving for 20-30 minutes. I'll buy a large format of this if I ever see it. It'd make a delicious dessert beer or a pairing with some bread pudding, pecan pie or oatmeal raisin cookies.