Ymm, Beer!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by devildeac » June 21st, 2017, 10:31 pm

dpslaw wrote:Everything about Doom is big, if not over the top. It is a bourbon barrel aged imperial IPA. ABV is 12.4. First you taste the malt. Lots of vanilla and caramel and bourbon, bourbon, bourbon! Then the massive hoppiness kicks in. Citrus and pepper. Surprisingly, not overly boozy. Almost too much. Almost.
Thanks! That might be my weekend beer-hunting expedition.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 21st, 2017, 10:31 pm

Dry-Hopped Barleywine Style Ale-Sierra Nevada Brewing and Avery Brewing

Bigfoot meets Hog Heaven!

As they explain on the Beer Camp website, it's not actually a collaboration but a blending of the usual Bigfoot recipe with the standard Hog Heaven brew and also dry-hopping the concoction, followed by bottle conditioning. The result? Big Hog. Or would that be Hog Foot?

Pour was a slightly cloudy, dark amber with a generous, foamy head. Aromas of leather, tobacco and resin. Tastes of the same with some toffee. This remains a fairly bitter beer (yea, I'm looking at you, Bigfoot), but the balance is reasonable with IBUs of 90 and the ABV at 9.4%. This is a sip over an hour from a snifter almost time for bed ale. Still doesn't convince me to like barleywines but a quality offering. Ingredients below:

Yeast: Ale
Bittering Hops: Zeus and Chinook
Finishing Hops: Zeus, Cascade, Centennial and Chinook
Malts: Two-row Pale and Caramel
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 22nd, 2017, 8:18 pm

Panic Water-Appalachian Mountain Brewery

Anyone here sampled any of their products?

Dang, these folks brew a lot of flavors and my 16 ounce can from my gift birthday 6er last week isn't even listed:

https://amb.beer/beer

AKA, Hoppy Pilsner, meaning, they took a fairly standard pils recipe and added a couple new hop varieties (not named) and turned a German/European favorite into a liquid Juicy Fruit adult beverage. Well, not really but it sure tastes like a pineapple-mango-orange juice blend after you get by the moderately foamy head and floral aromas. Mildly bitter floral hops and a bit of light caramel sweetness, too. I'll guess IBUs of 30 (not listed) and the ABV is 5.4% on the can so a lighter, refreshing late spring/early summer offering. I'd pair this with a mixed green salad with assorted berries, pecans, some Feta cheese and a raspberry vinaigrette dressing.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 23rd, 2017, 7:26 pm

Saison Du Bois (draft)-Lynnwood Brewing Concern

Drink local!

I got mighty thirsty after hiking almost 10 miles at Raven Rock State Park today, even after 2.5 bottles of water and half a bottle of Gatorade and LBC was conveniently located 1/2 block off our route home, so...

Pint pour was straw in color with a small head which lingered a bit. Nose of hay and lemongrass with some apples, pears, straw and a dry finish. IBUs were 30 and the ABV was 6% so a nice thirst quencher. Serving suggestions would be lightly-spiced grilled chicken or shrimp scampi.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 23rd, 2017, 7:27 pm

Rufescent (draft sample)-Lynnwood Brewing Concern

Just released at noon today on draft (d'oh) and 500 ml bottles. Couldn't resist .

Pour was a bit cloudy and looked like Rubaeus with a small head. Sour, vinegary-y nose with Sour Patch cherry candy and cherry cider vinegar, acidic and woody tastes. It's a barrel-aged sour with Brettanomyces, Pediococcus and Lactobacillus yeasts/bacteria fermentation with sweet and sour cherries added to fermentation. Really, really tasted like a Rodenbach and the beer-tender agreed. Limited release, numbered bottling on 6/21 (500 ml set me back about $10) and tapped today. The bottle will age 6-12 months before sampling/sharing.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 23rd, 2017, 10:58 pm

O'Hara's Irish Stout-Carlow Brewing Company

My final bottle from my gifted birthday 6er last week. I wish I had bought a Guinness single (haven't had one for many years) to compare for myself as some reviews think this may be better than the "classic" example of the dry Irish stout style.

Poured from an 11.2 ounce bottle into a standard pint glass. Color was dark brown with a modest, creamy, mocha head. Aromas of over-roasted coffee and burnt chocolate were first thoughts. Tastes matched these with perhaps some charred, dark caramel with a pinch of licorice and a dry finish. IBUs quoted at 40 and ABV listed at 4.3% from their website but my bottle was clearly printed with an ABV of 6%, thinking they also brew two (several?) versions of this like Guinness does. Pairing? What else? Some stews, a beef roast and/or some stinky cheeses.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 24th, 2017, 5:14 pm

White Hatter-New Holland Brewing

Sampling at Total Wine as I browsed. Same New Holland district manager as when I sampled at Bottle Revolution a month or so ago.

Orange-straw color with a small head. It's a Belgian-style white pale ale . So, I guess a hybrid between a wit and a PA. Mild citrusy aromas with some piney/orange-y/spicy tastes from the chamomile, coriander and grains of paradise added. A bit of a discrepancy between the bottle and the websiite with the bottle claiming 35 IBUs and 5.2% ABV and the website promoting 52 IBUs and 5.5% ABV. Worth a single if you see it but not a 6er. Good to sip with a burger or a brat.
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » June 24th, 2017, 5:15 pm

How do you post reviews simultaneously at two different sites?
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 24th, 2017, 7:48 pm

YmoBeThere wrote:How do you post reviews simultaneously at two different sites?
It's all in the fingers/wrist. ;)

Quickly copy and paste from OY to here, making sure I accomplish the task within 60 seconds so I can get the same time stamp. :ymblushing:

The "search" feature here is sooooo much quicker/better than OY so all my reviews there are archived here. Plus, doubles my post count.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 24th, 2017, 7:48 pm

St. Arnulf (draft)-Lincoln Brewing Company

Drink local!

Well, if you can find the joint.

Stopped by their Fuquay-Varina location yesterday on the return trip to Raleigh after several hours of hiking at Raven Rock State Park. For lease sign at entrance.
Closed.

But, I found their new, new grand opening announcement on Twitter for today at their second (third? fourth?) location in the area. Damn hard to find when the Google maps "pin drop" is between Tuesday Morning and Marshall's and the actual location is around the corner and kinda/sorta behind Marshall's. Conversation with owner as I got my more than generous two tasters:

dd: I went by the Fuquay location yesterday and saw it was closed. Why?
Owner: I'm lazy. I live in north Raleigh and got tired of driving. By the way, my name's Richard C.
dd. Oh, you're the founder/owner. Cool. Did you own Fuhgedaboutit Pizza a few years ago?
Owner: Yea, that was me.
dd: Why'd you close that business?
Owner: I'm lazy. Got tired of it and sold it.
dd: Oh, interesting.
Owner: Is that your first Lincoln beer?
dd: Yes.
Owner: On the house.
dd: Well, thank you very much.

Not a good start. Closed the former bottle shop in north Raleigh. Closed 2 pizza locations. Close the brewery in Fuquay. New other current location is (I think) Honest Abe's pub/restaurant near the RBC/PNC/NCSU Pork Palace Arena. And, brew one average (next review) and one below average (this review) Belgian-style beers in a crowded market. I'll give them about 6-12 months to stay open.

Oh, the beer above. Listed as a Belgian strong, dark ale. Sample pour (2-3 ounces) was muddy/cloudy and just off-tasting with a mild amount of sediment, even after just 1-2 minutes sitting on the bar. Not really any of the typical aromas/flavors I'd expect from the style like dried fruits, brown sugar, rum or dark caramel. The 12 ounce pour of Red Legged Devil (review to follow after a night out with Mrs. dd or in the AM) was better but still only an average beer.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 24th, 2017, 11:58 pm

Red Legged Devil (draft)-Lincoln Brewing

Drink local!

Twelve ounce snifter, courtesy of the owner/first beer on the house.

Pour was a yellow-gold with a modest, fizzy head. Almost honey-ish nose with tastes of orange, flowers, a bit of black pepper with a Belgian candi sugar finish, actually a bit too sweet. There was just something "off" about the tastes of this. Not stale, not wet cardboard, just something not right. I'll guess IBUs about 30 with an ABV of 9%. I can't imagine taking/recommending any guests to visit here or their pub/restaurantlocation near the home of Wolfpack basketball/Raleigh Hurricanes.
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » June 25th, 2017, 6:17 pm

I don't know how to put the description on but I discovered Legend Beer, brown Ale, when I was in Richmond, Va. I really like. I went on line for the review but have no clear how to post. DD help.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 25th, 2017, 8:11 pm

Hop Madness-Great Lakes Brewing Company

Best by 7/10/17 is tamped on the label, so Total Wine had a $2 off sticker on the 4 pack yesterday and, for about $7, I couldn't resist .

This is the third IIPA I've tasted from Great Lakes, and, not living in O-HI-O, I have no idea how many more they brew.

Pour from a 12 ounce bottle into a pint glass was yellow-orange with a modest, foamy head. Mixed tropical and citrus aromas with pineapple, grapefruit, orange and mango coating my palate. There's a hint of honey-like sweetness and perhaps a hint of pine. IBUs of 80 and ABV of 8%, so nicely balanced. This would be at home with a sweet and sour chicken or shrimp entree but would also hold it's own with some mildly hot and/or spicy dishes. Personally, I like Chill Wave and Lake Erie Monster better but could be swayed into a side-by-side tasting/comparison if invited .
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 25th, 2017, 8:14 pm

Very Duke Blue wrote:I don't know how to put the description on but I discovered Legend Beer, brown Ale, when I was in Richmond, Va. I really like. I went on line for the review but have no clear how to post. DD help.
Yes, ma'am!!

Here ya go, copied and pasted from their website:

"The Virginia Original. Our most popular beer, Legend Brown Ale is a full bodied version of an American Brown Ale. Expect a rich, malt-forward brew with a beautiful mahogany tone. Generous amounts of specialty malts bring flavors of sweet caramel, toasted nuts, coffee, and molasses, all perfectly balanced by cautious hop dryness. Fruity undertones provided by our house yeast strain bring the final flavor element to round out this world class ale Original Gravity 15.0. Available in 6 packs of 12 ounce bottles, 22 ounce bottles and draft."

Hope that sounds like what you tasted ;) :D .

I know I've sipped that beer before but I'd bet it's been a decade. Maybe more.
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » June 25th, 2017, 8:54 pm

devildeac wrote:
Very Duke Blue wrote:I don't know how to put the description on but I discovered Legend Beer, brown Ale, when I was in Richmond, Va. I really like. I went on line for the review but have no clear how to post. DD help.
Yes, ma'am!!

Here ya go, copied and pasted from their website:

"The Virginia Original. Our most popular beer, Legend Brown Ale is a full bodied version of an American Brown Ale. Expect a rich, malt-forward brew with a beautiful mahogany tone. Generous amounts of specialty malts bring flavors of sweet caramel, toasted nuts, coffee, and molasses, all perfectly balanced by cautious hop dryness. Fruity undertones provided by our house yeast strain bring the final flavor element to round out this world class ale Original Gravity 15.0. Available in 6 packs of 12 ounce bottles, 22 ounce bottles and draft."

Hope that sounds like what you tasted ;) :D .

I know I've sipped that beer before but I'd bet it's been a decade. Maybe more.
Yup, sounds good. I hope I can find it around here. Thanks DD.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 26th, 2017, 7:14 pm

From 4/30/12:

[quote="devildeac"]Two Hearted Ale (draft)-Bell's Brewing

It has been a while since I had one of these and I had forgotten how pleasant and well-balanced this IPA was from the light citrus and floral hop aromas and tastes to the nearly perfect balance with medium caramel and toffee flavors, too. Served in a voluptuous Sam Adams ale glass as the select brew of the evening, this yellow-orange ale accompanied a heaping plate of chicken nachos and was an ideal pairing with its modest spice and bitterness (even my daughter who is not much of a beer fan thought it only mildly bitter) with an estimated IBU of 60 and an ABV of 7%. I think it was a $3/pint special. I even thought about a second pint but declined so I was able to fully enjoy Brahms' Symphony No. 3 and Rachmaninov's Piano Concerto No. 2 a bit later that evening.

From last PM (WTH? More than 5 years since I've had a Two Hearted Ale):

Two Hearted Ale (bottled on 5/7/17)-Bell's Brewing

Drink fresh!

It also helps that it was $2 off at Total Wine this weekend so a 6er cost me <$7, making it even tastier at about $1.16/12 ounce bottle .

I thought the citrus and tropical scents and flavors were a bit more prominent with little floral or piney overtones. Bell's doesn't believe in IBUs but I think 60 is a reasonable guess as above. Same ABV. I think I'll make this my lawnmower beer tonight in about an hour.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 27th, 2017, 8:12 pm

All Day IPA-Founders Brewing

Two ounce canned sample from the local Founders beer rep.

Pour was a yellow-gold with a small head. Simcoe and Amarillo hops impart (some) grapefruit and (more) pine to the aromas and tastes. IBUs of 42 and ABV of 4.7%. Why not label it a pale ale? Not bad, but I prefer the "real thing."
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 27th, 2017, 8:13 pm

dpslaw wrote:Everything about Doom is big, if not over the top. It is a bourbon barrel aged imperial IPA. ABV is 12.4. First you taste the malt. Lots of vanilla and caramel and bourbon, bourbon, bourbon! Then the massive hoppiness kicks in. Citrus and pepper. Surprisingly, not overly boozy. Almost too much. Almost.
Based on your review, I added a 4 pack of this to my collection this evening. Thanks!
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 27th, 2017, 8:13 pm

Centennial IPA-Founders Brewing

Another 2 ounce sample. Pour was light bronze with a small head. Aromas of grapefruit and light brown sugar with matching tastes, a small hop bite and a bit of resin. Serve with some BBQ fare. IBUs at 65 and ABV at 7.2%. A real IPA .
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 27th, 2017, 8:27 pm

Old Curmudgeon Ale (2016)-Founders Brewing

Or is it Curmudgeon Old Ale?

Couldn't resist a small pour of one of my favorite long-standing ales/avatars.

Pour was a dark amber with a small, foamy head. Brown sugar and dark fruits up front, followed by the same with wood and light molasses on the tasting from the oak barrel aging and added molasses. IBUs of 50 and ABV at 9.8%. Night cap/sipper/dessert beer from a snifter or tulip. Great beer. I may have a bottle left from my 2016 four pack.